Sleep Number Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderful culture with great benefits and a relaxed atmosphere
Digital Experience Professional (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNMarch 14, 2016
It's a great company to work for with great benefits in general. Lots of community outreach and spiffs at random points of the year. Many give aways and direct leadership seems to care about their employees. Upper management seems detached from the day to day life of the employees which leads to unneeded stresses for seemingly no reason.
Pros
Amazing discount, excellent culture
Cons
Detached upper management
Good job but not without its quirks
Home Delivery Technician (Former Employee) –  Middleburg Heights, OHDecember 17, 2015
When it comes to work load and hours there's no equal medium its either feast or famine. Some of the job descriptions say that you are not a furniture mover as soon as you go to remove old mattresses you become a furniture mover. Pay rate needs to be increased because of dealing with the removal of old, dirty and heavy mattresses. The guys you work alongside with every day are great but the senior technician in this market is very unprofessional.
Pros
Great coworkers, benefits
Cons
Stability of workflow, work and home balance
Great people to work with
Jr. Systems Administrator - Windows (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 19, 2016
Sleep Number is such a great place to work! There are many benefits to being a Sleep Number employee, but the people who work there are the best part! I have made a lot of friends in the last 8 years!
Incredible feeling to participate in the growth of a revolutionary product from an emerging technology.
Director of Business Development (Former Employee) –  Corporate Office Plymouth, MNMarch 31, 2016
It was a very rewarding experience. Bringing a company from idea to realization. Our every thought, idea and action was driven by the collective experience and bond that we had in senior management. Most proud of the "people first" culture we nurtured throughout my time at Select Comfort (Sleep Number Bed).

The company remains successful today due in large part, to the foundation build by the original leaders of the company. I am proud of my time and contributions to their success.

Who would have thought that selling "beds" could be so much fun.
Great job for anyone who enjoys living at the store
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  IndianaFebruary 20, 2016
Upper management does not care about your work/life balance. It was not uncommon to have them insist on you coming in to work overtime if you had not met your sales goals. They talk a lot about wanting to promote from within, but they seldom do so. The hardest part of the position was interaction with the district manager who would visit the store solely to find something she could deem wrong. Im sure there are great DM's in other markets, but this one was a monster. The hours are long and you need to be prepared to occasionally work an 8 or 10 hour day but never see a single customer. When this happens they will want you to use their call lists and call past customers to try and sell them over the phone. If business is slow, you become a glorified telemarketer. The training involves WEEKS of role playing before they allow you to start the job. You will be required to act out/pretend to sell products to your co-workers until they see fit. One of the most mentally taxing jobs I have ever had.
Pros
commissions were fair
Cons
everything else
Chance for growth and helping others.
Digital Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNOctober 26, 2015
In this job you are able to help yourself and others. The company creates a positive experience and create growth for yourself within the company. Working both customers and co-workers is a great experience.
Pros
Free lunches at time, awards and prizes given out, full benefits
work hard and play hard
Sleep Expert (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VANovember 5, 2015
love helping families improve their lives by the way they sleep
nice company culture
like the challenge in closing the sale
benefits
Cons
always on the sales floor
Amazing company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 8, 2015
One of the best retail management positions i have ever done or even heard of. Great company all around. Great work life balance. Great Compensation.
No room for advancment
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNApril 7, 2016
would complete the same thing day in and day out and there was not room for advancement. The management staff was never to be found and I feel like that there was not enough training before we were placed on the phone.
Terrific product. Company experiencing growing pains.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 15, 2016
The hardest part of the job: Long work days - open to close - and being constantly understaffed.
The most enjoyable part of the job: Our customers were the best. I met so many wonderful people.
My co-workers were creative, fun and made the best of a difficult situation.
I learned more about sales; the advantages of having a preset outline for the demonstration and closing.
A typical day at work included restocking shelves, ensuring the store was clean and dusted, greeting customers, customer followup, intranet training. Opening and/or closing the store.
Pros
I always knew that our product benefited the customers I worked with
Cons
Long day, often open to close, the store I worked at was understaffed.
Great Job - Not so great leadership
Delivery Driver - Set-up (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 7, 2016
I love the job itself. Working with the customers and the work is not that hard.
The management and support you get however is not what it needs to be. The home office is in Minneapolis and there is a vast communication problem. Supervisor is located in Seattle. Difficult to get ahold of to say the least. Pay is ok . Yearly merit raises are dismal at best ranging from 0% to 4%. That barely covers cost of living increase. Product is very well made and excellent quality. I would highly recommend them to friends and family. The hours vary wildly also. Could get 65 hours a week for 2 months straight then 20 to 25 for two months. Hard to budget and feel financially secure on that kind of schedule.
Pros
Decent wage when working. Not super difficult job. Customers are great. Exellent product.
Cons
Unstable hours. Lack of communication and support from management
Good place to get delivery experience. Low pay and very poor health insurance plans
Home Delivery Technician (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJuly 22, 2015
At first here was lots of work to do.was getting 12 -16 hours per day 6 days a week .then our boss decided we were understaffed.hired a bunch of guys. Sometimes were lucky to grt 2 or 3 days a week to work and even then it might be just a 5 or 6 hour day becsuse just 2 beds to deliver.and now weve got 6 more guys grtting hired.thats 20 guys and sometime very often only 4 trucks go out that means 16 guys are not working.this job is not for a serious working man who wants to make a decent living.its for people who dont need to work much. Its a shame because overall its a very good fun job to do good coworkers its just dont plan on having a stesdy income if you grt hired.there health insurance is a joke dont even bother gettng it your better off to get obama care as sad as that sounds. They advertise fantastic employee discounts but the beds cost 5 6 7 or 8 thousand dollars and even at 70 prrcent off none of the delivery techs can afford their expensive beds.oh and company is so cheap they make there delivery guysvdrive penske rental trucks
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Bad health care benefits low hourly pay
Challenging Work, Well Worth It
Sleep Expert (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 18, 2016
A work day at Sleep Number tends to fluctuate quite a bit in intensity. There are days where your work will be focused on the mundane such as cleaning, ordering, and general paperwork. Then there are days where you won't have even a minute between customers. This job takes quite a bit of focus and does require constant relearning. If you enjoy talking to people, and want a sales position that doesn't feel so scripted, this is the place to be. It will be difficult at times but they do a great job of encouraging the sharing of ideas.
Run as fast as you can!
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 9, 2016
This job is NOT what I was a few years ago! If you want to work for a place that practices deceitful sales tactics and zero accountability then this is the place! We get your money and you may or may not get your bed. We have the power! Working for the unrealistic DM is enough to look elsewhere for employment. If you like not having weekends off and being treated like garbage then I'd say step right up! SN is as close to a cult mentality as it gets!
Pros
Use to be the money.
Cons
District management, poor family time, you are your numbers
Avoid working for this company!
Sales professional (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 9, 2016
The products are extremely over priced for what it is.
Customer service isn't reliable and home delivery as well. Company brain washes you and wants everyone to be an evangelic of the brand! In other words try and convert people to sleep number. Training is overwhelming and there are over 100 steps to follow when doing a sale. If you miss a step you will be hold accountable.
Cons
Customers are great! Market Manager the worst!
Sales Professional (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 18, 2015
Market Manager has no clue what she is doing or how to run or drive business. Reads from a script given to her by someone higher up. The worse management experience hands down I ever worked for. Also Customer service is poor. It's always what is best for Sleep Number not the customer or its employees. You lose the sale or get charged back for customer service mistake that you can't do anything about. Managers are told to take ups from salespeople if store is behind at any point even if the manager is a poor salesperson.
Not a sales friendly environment. Told to pile on not well accessories to drive up average ticket because of lack of traffic in stores. Company floods sales floor so can't achieve goals so can't make higher commissions and stores budget. No matter what you sell company finds the negatives. Stay away! Stay away!
Pros
Customers
Cons
High unachievable goals & poor poor management
Being part of a start-up organization was a tremendous opportunity
Director of Facilities and Property Management (Former Employee) –  PlymouthFebruary 11, 2015
When I left Select Comfort, I was #5 in seniority. I had been involved from the infancy of this company and was part of the management team that brought the company public in 1998 and transitioned through 5 CEO's in 18 month in 2000-2001. Change and being nimble was critical to developing a dynamic industry of individual comfort in an established industry. I was able to manage executive administrative responsibilities as well as facilities through explosive growth and downsizing without disrupting or interfering with the business needs. I am very proud of the accomplishments of the team I had the privilege of working with.
Pros
independence, variety of work day, compensation
A good company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNApril 24, 2015
Select Comfort, more commonly referred to as Sleep Number is a good company to work for. if you have the time for a easy full time job that pays alight with good benefits this is not a bad choice.

The customer service department can be a little boring and repetitive but it is not a hard job and the company encourages people to stand being the product and help the customer have a good experience. This is not a dead end call center, there is room to grow and if you genuinely like helping people this may be a good job for you.
Innovative Products
Sleep Expert (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 6, 2015
Great product with new innovations arriving all of the time. Semi relaxed work environment. Goals can be a little steep, but are obtainable through hard work and desire.
Pros
Great benefits and pay structure
Cons
Retail hours
Fast paced environment
Director (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJune 5, 2016
Great culture with great people who truly want to do what is best for the customer. Company has terrific product. Much is driven from senior leadership. Company runs lean therefore not enough support to get all of the work done that is required.
Pros
people
Cons
too many projects taking focus off business

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sleep Number. Our community is ready to answer.