Sleep Number

Sleep Number Employer Reviews

Very Bad
Sleep Professional (Former Employee), Saint Joseph, MOAugust 6, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: manager has lack of management skills
Horrible Store Manager. He doesn't follow procedure and steels sales.
I loved the opportunity to take a struggling store and turn it around to a successful contender.
Manager (Former Employee), Nashville, TNAugust 5, 2014
When Select Comfort offered me a position as Store Manager, they gave me two stores from which to choose -- the thriving Opry Mills store and the store at Green Hills which was barely keeping its doors open. I chose Green Hills. I did so because I knew the area, the clientele, and I welcomed the idea of a challenge. I wanted to be able to prove myself – more... early on in the game. Staffing was the biggest challenge, with making selling mattresses 'fun' being second. Once we overcame those obstacles, our result was an extremely successful store. – less
FUN PLACE TO WORK..
Retail Sales Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 16, 2014
Pros: fun place to work.
GREAT product.. affordable and sexy for the working ladies.. It was fun working there specially in Beverly Hills..loved the team and the Manager was fun... !!
Fun
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJune 25, 2014
Pros: alot of people to meet
Cons: lomg hours
Fun and the people I worked with really helped me out on the things I didn't know.
Poor Upper Management that belittles and over Micromanages
Store Sales Manager (Former Employee), NYJune 24, 2014
Pros: very nice customer base. commissions can be very good if you are a good salesperson..
Cons: micro management, lackluster support from district/area management
Make your monthly sales goal and upper management leaves you alone. Miss your sales goal and you are treated like an 8 year old and given more performance review, skill practice and forecast projection paperwork, then you'll know what to do with. And all of these meaningless tasks are supposed to help you increase your monthly sales numbers?! Basically – more... if you do well it is expected, but if you have a poor month, it is your fault that customers didn't come in to purchase a $4,000 bed. So how do you fix the problem? Create several useless, time wasting and unproductive daily tasks for the manager to implement to his sales team which will do nothing to help impact your business.

District Management constantly tells his "district" that every store has the same challenges when every store is in a completely different economic location. A store that has had IBM pull out of the area and was the major job contributor to that area is supposed to have the same economic issues that a overly affluent "Blue Blood" area that pays with an Amex Black Card?

In 4 years of employment I have seen a turnover of more than 20 people in my 10+ store district, including 3 district managers. To say that Sleep Number does not keep their employees very happy is an understatement! The company is NOT going in the correct direction and their company "vision" seems to be quite cloudy since the latest restructuring of company chair people. However, their commercials look very nice! :) – less
Enjoyable when there's work
Home Delivery and Assembly Technician (Current Employee), Romulus, MIMay 29, 2014
Pros: be your own boss
Cons: lack of hours
When I first started I was told that we were slammed and that we could not catch up but that changed after a month. Now we only get about 30 hours a week and they cut us back to 4 days a week
N/A
Quality Auditor (Former Employee), Irmo, SCMay 6, 2014
Pros: paid lunch
Typical Manufacturing company. There was a lot to learn working in the quality department. Many skills with were learned that will be utilized for years to come. Management was very helpful and willing to help and willing to help you any way they could.
Relaxing,comfortable,fun and peaceful
Sales (Former Employee), Fresno, CAApril 24, 2014
There were many things that I learned in this business and how important proper rest can actually affect your life and manurism. The technology involved in this company was amazing and interesting in many forms. They helped me in realizing my priorities and importance of choices and when to make them. It was overall a blast to be here.
Great product to stand behind as a Sales Rep
Sales Expert/Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Fredericksburg, VAApril 23, 2014
I enjoyed working for this company very much and absolutely loved the products they sell.
Horrible management and confused company direction!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNApril 15, 2014
Pros: great training, nice coworkers, fair compensation
Cons: horrible management, bad company direction, products decreasing in quality
I had no problem closing deals with my experience in sales and their great training. For the most part, fellow coworkers were a pleasure to work with. There's nothing difficult about the job except dealing with the boredom of waiting for customers to come in... sometimes hours without a single customer. And, I was supposedly in one of the highest volume – more... stores in the district!

After just a few weeks, I could see that this company needs serious help. The area/district managers are merely an extension of the store manager and do little more than put more pressure on sales associates to close deals. When employees have commission incentives (and only $9/hr base pay), I find this to be highly unnecessary.

The company as a whole is in a state of confusion as to how to gain more market share and boost revenue. In just three months with the company, I saw the quality of products decrease while prices increased. And, their goal is to increase revenue by about 60% over two years in such a competitive industry. Higher profit margins alone won't get them there. A company of delusions and naive marketing... hence, the collapse of their stock value.

I lost faith quickly and had to move on... – less
Benefits
Phone Specialist/Customer Service/Home Delivery (Former Employee), Plymouth, MNApril 9, 2014
Pros: long lunch
Cons: long hours, weekend shifts
The co-workers were not always the same. They went through temp agencies to find a lot of their employees. It was in-bound and out-bound calls to customer's that purchased a Sleep Number bed and needed deliver or other questions regarding their purchase.
The hardest part of the job was the hours and being a contract worker.
Excellent Company
Store Sales Manager (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIMarch 24, 2014
Pros: everything.
Cons: if they want you gone, they will find a way
I love Sleep Number. I had a bad experience with a district manager who was in a bad position. I do not agree with the reason I was let go, I feel I was used as an excuse, but as a whole the mission and vision of the company is outstanding. The company AS A WHOLE stands behind the employees and truly believes in what they say. The company listens to – more... every one. The employees really do have input. The idea is to help people and make peoples lives better, employees and customers. It is a great company and I would encourage ANYONE to apply there. They strive to promote from within.

Here is an example of how tremendous the company is. I had to be on bed rest for 5 months with my son. They only have to hold your job for 12 weeks. Not only did they hold my job, but my store did so well I was still sent on the rewards trip although I was gone for more than half the year. They held my bonus' and gave me the time I needed. They backed me, because I backed them. – less
Great active work non-stop.
Delivery Driver/Customer Service (Former Employee), Riverside, CAMarch 15, 2014
Pros: always active, meeting new people everyday, co-workers
Cons: n/a
load and delivered sleep number bed to customer residents and set it up and show customer how to operate the bed after being built.

Management was always a phone call away when needed.

Made great friends/co-workers. Great Team Work.

There was nothing hard about the job.

Meeting new people and helping the customer and teaching them about many different – more... products that the company has to offer. – less
Great place to work, poor management and leadership
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winston Salem, NCMarch 12, 2014
Pros: compensation and benefits
Cons: poor management, leadership and you are selling a product with a 25 year warranty, yet there is no service system in place to repair beds that have problems.
If you enjoy sales, Select Comfort is excellent, you are challenged as an individual as well as a team; you will be rewarded well with compensation, however the store management and leadership is poor. This is not a job to accept if you are looking for a great work/life balance. The Company's culture is all about a number, they simply could careless – more... about you as a person. – less
Delivery Technician (Former Employee), Riverside, CAMarch 4, 2014
Pros: having the freedom to work in various communities and meet many different kinds of people
Cons: hours were too long, too little time spent with my kids.
Start off day by picking up product at UPS, then going to customers homes to build and service beds. I learned to interact in a positive manner with both co-workers and customers. My manager was rarely on site but when he was I learned to take his direction whether or not I agreed with his reasoning. My co-workers were great, we had to learn to work – more... as a team to get the work finished in a fast and efficient manner. The hardest part of the job was working 12 to 14 hours days on a regular basis and having very little time to spend with my children. My most enjoyable part of the job is in meeting new people and being able to enter some beautiful homes. – less
Good place to work, poor management
Sales Expert (Current Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: excellent pay
Cons: poor management, hours, too much down time
I have greatly enjoyed my time at Sleep Number. If you are hard working, well spoken, and good in sales, you have the ability to make a great income. The only two downfalls that I can think of would be the hours and management.
The biggest pitfall for this company has been the upper management. The regional manager is required to visit each store at – more... least once per month, yet I've seen mine roughly 5 times in two and a half years. When there is an opportunity for advancement, the position seems to be based off of who plays butt kiss better, instead of hard work, intelligence, or merit. I'm sure this isn't the case with all managers.

The hours are typical retail store hours, you sometimes work 930-530, and sometimes you work 1230-9, even on the weekends. This schedule can be rather aggravating when you're trying to spend time with family or friends outside of work. – less
Fantastic Products, Fantastic Job
Sales Professional (Current Employee), Tacoma, WAFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: training, products, support, staff, almost everything.
Cons: retail hours
This is a fantastic forward looking company with aggressive growth plans and innovative products. They truly are light years ahead of the competition and you can feel great about selling the products.

My coworkers and manager are fun people who are very open and understanding. The average day is very low stress and full of rewards of helping customers. – more... There have been so many users of the products who tell amazing stories of pain relief and better sleep that the reward from that makes up for the slightly lower earnings. Also, 2013 was a tough year for everyone and not typical of most years from what I have gathered talking with other employees, nor does it reflect the way 2014 is starting out.

I would work with this company again in a heartbeat and if you are given an opportunity to work for them take it.

Great training that is ongoing as well.

The company is always looking for ways to improve and has the resources to do what it needs to. The changes it makes almost always have improved things directly related to your job in a positive way. – less
I wouldn't recommend working for this company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Denver, COFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: opportunity to make alot of money if you work at a small store with a small monthly budget
Cons: poor management. no family/work life.
I wouldn't recommend woking for this company if you have a family. The fluctuating monthly goals are most of the time unrealistic. Managers are very selfish and only care about their needs and wants as far as scheduling time off and opening shifts. The company doesn't allow any days off for holidays, you cant take pto when you really want to because – more... there are pto blackouts. Sales associates are required to clean, do inventory, make sales, make cold calls, required to stay after hours no matter how long it takes to do sign change outs, all which is not worth $9/ hr. – less
Retail
Retail Manager & Sales Associate (Former Employee), Reno, NVFebruary 13, 2014
Great product, I own one of their beds myself. Can't sleep on anything else now. Good chance for advancement if you like retail.
Great Company
Delivery Driver (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 1, 2014
Select Comfort is an excellent compant with great benefits and oportunities, however;due to product type we experience highs and lows with demands for product from customers therefore; as an employee Im not guaranteed to always have a guaranteed salary.

1 2 3 4

About Sleep Number

We are Sleep Number. And for over 25 years, we’ve been changing the way the world sleeps—one person, one experience – Read more