Sleep Train Employee Reviews

Too many negative changes
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 23, 2016
As Sleep Country this was a great place to work. The employees were well taken care of and felt appreciated. Mattress Firm bought us almost 2 years ago and things have steadily gone down hill. Now instead of valued staff, we are all tiny cogs in a huge wheel, and treated as such. Morale is in the toilet and attrition is through the roof. We make less money, 25-30% is the average, our benefits costs doubled, for less coverage, and our perks all but disappeared.
All in all, very sad. I planned to make this my career because I love the customers and my co-workers and was happy to spend the next 15-20 years here. Not any more. Cannot get out fast enough.
Pros
Cons
Employees not valued, comissions cut, benefits reduced but more expensive, management treats staff like objects, not humans.
Commission based mattress retail
Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 29, 2016
The company has been bought out several times in the few years I've been here. This has caused a shift away from the employee owned, employee loving company into just another massive corporation. Benefits, pay and hours have taken a dive as well as all the fun little perks we used to get. (Things like free concert tickets and summer company picnics).

The work life balance is getting squeezed as corporate wants us to work more for the same or less money, resulting in many people quitting and a lack of quality in the new personnel hired to fill their places.

There is a lot of down time down the day since it is a turn based system for working with customers. Due to this you have time to read, watch shows or learn something cool. This can also get rather boring long term though.
Pros
easy jobs, fair pay
Cons
long hours, decreasing benefits/perks
Great company
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Covington, WANovember 7, 2016
Great company to work for. Well compensated for the work we do. Opportunity for advancement is often slim and that can make it tough to get promoted .

Management is great and will always try to be accommodating when they can be.
Pros
District Dinners, Bonuses, Hours of Operation
Cons
Work life balance can be tough, Low opportunity to advance
Fun place to work if you enjoy sales
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 14, 2016
I loved working here and I almost miss it enough to want to go back if I need to. Looking back on working for Sleep Train, I almost wish I didn't take another sales job elsewhere. The only problem I had is when I was put in a slower store by myself. I'm not a by myself type of person so after working 4 months alone I had to find somewhere else that's fitting. Great place to work though.
Pros
The money is great and so is working with most of the management there.
Cons
Long hours open to close sometimes.
Don't believe the hype
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 17, 2017
Sleep Train was a fantastic company to work for, but when MFRM bought them out, it turned into a corporate nightmare. The sales floors got flooded and everyone started being devalued. Poor company values, poor customer service and worse of all, they don't show any appreciation for their own salespeople. Mattress Firm ruined Sleep Train.
Pros
Commissions can be profitable, medical and dental and 401 k offered
Cons
Flooded sales floor, managers have zero accountability, lazy upper management
Great intro to sales
assistant store manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 19, 2015
I started with this company unsure of the outcome.

They put you through a paid 5 week training class before it is determined that you are suitable for a store.
I made it through the class which isn't too hard but ended up going on sales probation about 6 months later. after many hours, days, and months of dedication to bettering my sales performance, here I am today as an assistant store manager and this is one of the best jobs I've ever had.

you can move up in the company quick if you are dedicated and willing to learn. It really is the luck of the draw when it comes to which kinds of customers you may see (low end/high end) and you can make more money the bigger volume store you're in.
Pros
great pay for the work, paid vacation, and benefits, paid holiday dinners and parties
Cons
work alot like any sales jobs. down months
Fun and Family environment
District Training Manager (Former Employee) –  San DiegoJune 8, 2016
You will be working in the store by yourself for the a majority of the week. The coworkers are great and the teamwork is awesome.
You are on commission so expect your pay checks to not be consistentI love the company culture which was positive and unified.
Pros
Co-workers and Pay
Cons
Long hours and working holidays
Over promise to employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 10, 2016
At Sleep Train, train is the operative word. They train you to be an obedient robot in a very boring training program run by two Stepford sisters who are themselves robots. Their whole trip is to get you to upsell the "guest" on things they don't need such as over priced sheets and mattress protection so they can pad the their pockets.

This is a great job if you have no brains or want to give your brain a sabbatical.
Pros
Great Job for somone with no ambition
Cons
Long hours in a store waitng for customers to con
Great Place.
Sales- Travel Sales Team (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CA 93309July 31, 2016
Sleep Train was a great place to work, and before being officially hired they make sure you are ready. You are taken through a 6 week training process, that includes quiz taking, and finals. Sleep Train invest a lot into each employee making each one successful. However, the only down fall that I experienced was the long work days, in my area we usually manned the store by ourselves and it opened at 10 and closed at 9pm being in a store alone for those hours can be painful.
Great people to work with
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Covington, WAJuly 29, 2016
I enjoy the training and work experience. Great place for advancement and growth within the company. Have to opportunity to help and serve the community.
Great people, crude corporation
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CANovember 21, 2016
The people there are amazing however being a now publicly traded company, money is its driving force and not the people.
Sleep Train's review
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Rocklin, CAOctober 3, 2016
this is a good company, the people are good the environment was amazing and it's just unfortunate that i am leaving it. i learned a lot about people and being a good customer service rep. from working here.
Exciting work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CADecember 1, 2015
Sleep Train was an awesome organization to work for they were friendly and provided the best team talks. They break you out of your shyness and make you proud to work for them. They offer great benefits as well.
Management in transition
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WaFebruary 6, 2013
Much of management is new to Sleep Train but experienced. Delivery work shifts are somewhat unpredictable, weekend work always, sometimes shifts 12 plus hours. It is a very physical job, some beds very heavy, with much driving in some areas. Pay is 85 percent what it should be, benefits after 3 months, some good perks (discounts, prizes)
Pros
benefits, independent operation as delivery driver, some overtime
Cons
hourly pay, weekend work
Enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 1, 2016
I liked this job a lot it was a good experience for me. I felt like it was full of good opportunities. I liked the work area and the co workers a lot.
Fun environment for new employees
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  San JoseApril 16, 2014
The Sleep Train has a pretty great culture which cultivates team work, having fun, and career long learning (personal and professional growth). The company promotes based on your abilities and chooses the applicant which will bring the most to a position, rather than basing decisions off of tenure. The chance for advancement is great with the ability to step into management position rapidly if you take the job seriously and put your best foot forward each day. The employees at the company are treated with respect and viewed as the reason for our companies success, and rewarded for their hard work - especially those that perform well in sales.

If you struggle in sales, you are given multiple opportunities to improve and training to do so. Rather than other sales/performance based companies that cut your position quickly if you struggle.

With any company there are going to be positives and negatives. First thing to be aware of is that you are applying for a retail position. This means you will be working retail hours which include weekends and Holidays.

There can be a bit of down time in between helping guests. On any given day you could be busy from the second you walk in the door to when you clock out and head home.....or you could have a block of 3 hours of down time before another guest walks in. This means you'll need to bring a good book or movie to work - or even better - spend your down time researching the industry, sales, competition, and looking for ways to improve your sales and make more money.

You need to have a strong mind and stay positive. Those that
  more... become pessimistic often go into their own downward spiral. Guests can feel when you are not genuinely positive.

The pay is above average, but you can certainly make more at one of the competitors in the industry. Sleep Train invests money into their employees in other ways, for example, you will get additional benefits (Fun events like company picnics, paid community service days, district dinner events, Employee Ownership, health benefits, 401k with 10% employer match, lots of contest with great prizes, career growth, better training, etc).
Fun place to work
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 30, 2015
I love numbers and process of doing my job. I am analytical and I love forecasting and setting goals. I love sales part too.
Working with people is fun. Trying to find them the right product and seeing smile on their face is the most enjoyable part of job.
Pros
People
Cons
long hours and weekends work
Great Company to work for
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAJanuary 3, 2014
Sleep Train is a Great company. They completely work with you and buying a portion of the company is available.

Daily routine's:

Pull product from location to the delivery truck, load truck according to delivery, Route delivery, safely and efficiently deliver product. Remove old bedding from mattress to frames.

Although all work can be done easily if you don't mind working hard, this is a company that depends on its social bonding. Great relationships tend to build great team work.

Hardest part of the job are working in the elements. Both drivers and warehouse workers are stuck in the elements.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the different experiences everyday. It rarely can get boring with all the deadlines that need to be met.
Pros
Experience, Food trucks, traveling, incentives not including the huge discounts.
Cons
Bad communication between different levels of upper management and employees, competitive scheduling (same top ten every 3 months gets favored).
Fast Paced
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 29, 2015
Load/unload delivery trucks and vendor shipments. Safe and appropriate
driving of delivery trucks. Maintaining truck safety and efficient operation and reports
any damage to vehicle, customer property, company stores. Provide exceptional customer
service ensuring timely deliveries, CODs and call-backs. Delivery and set up of new
merchandise and removal of old products. Inventory control. Efficient route planning and
execution. Warehouse maintenance. Verify correct product loaded for delivery Refuel vehicles
It was a great stepping stone in my career history.
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAOctober 19, 2015
Although customer service for a retail company can be challenging and stressful I learned a lot from this position and it gave me very good experience with dealing with distraught customers and making them satisfied with their experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sleep Train. Our community is ready to answer.