Sleep Train Employee Reviews

Hard Labor
Warehouse Associate/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Kent, WASeptember 29, 2017
Mattresses weighed up to 320 lbs and we were required to handle them by ourselves. It was a very physically demanding job and I have had a difficult time recovering from the damage it has done to my back.
Pros
Consistent work
Cons
Painful on body
Great job
Assist delivery driving (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 19, 2017
I loved working for sleep train they are a well put together company. The only downside is that the management would not appreciate their employees as much as they should.
If you love to sell, this is the place.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 26, 2017
The training is very good and the managers and trainers are all experienced and knowledgeable.

When the selling is good it is great and you make a lot of money for the actual work you do. But between weeks in between holidays your sales will be lower. You can have three great months of sales and earn all kinds of bonuses and money but two poor months in a row and you are gone.

I wish I could have made a go of it. I really wanted to succeed at it.
Pros
A fun selling atmosphere.
Cons
too inconsistent on sales.
Great company
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 16, 2017
Excellent company to work for where your hard work is rewarded. Difficult to advance in certain parts of this area.

Excellent people of high character.
Pros
culture
ok if you dont taking on other people roll
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 13, 2017
it was a woek out but not for everyone. task were put on floor workes that was ment for upper manegmenr. they was always understaffed and wanted every one to work extra hard with out giving as musch as a thank you
Low stress commission job
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CAMay 31, 2017
Reasonably easy to earn around $45k a year in commission, depending on which store you are placed in. Always a potential for advancement if you are geared toward management.
Pros
minimal micomanagement
Fun work place
Delivery Driver/ Pizza maker (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 24, 2017
Good place for just starting out or in high school. I would recommend trying to be a delivery driver because it is a much more fun position than being in the restaurant all day.
Don't believe the hype
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 17, 2017
Sleep Train was a fantastic company to work for, but when MFRM bought them out, it turned into a corporate nightmare. The sales floors got flooded and everyone started being devalued. Poor company values, poor customer service and worse of all, they don't show any appreciation for their own salespeople. Mattress Firm ruined Sleep Train.
Pros
Commissions can be profitable, medical and dental and 401 k offered
Cons
Flooded sales floor, managers have zero accountability, lazy upper management
Too many negative changes
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 23, 2016
As Sleep Country this was a great place to work. The employees were well taken care of and felt appreciated. Mattress Firm bought us almost 2 years ago and things have steadily gone down hill. Now instead of valued staff, we are all tiny cogs in a huge wheel, and treated as such. Morale is in the toilet and attrition is through the roof. We make less money, 25-30% is the average, our benefits costs doubled, for less coverage, and our perks all but disappeared.
All in all, very sad. I planned to make this my career because I love the customers and my co-workers and was happy to spend the next 15-20 years here. Not any more. Cannot get out fast enough.
Pros
Cons
Employees not valued, comissions cut, benefits reduced but more expensive, management treats staff like objects, not humans.
Fun place to work if you enjoy sales
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 14, 2016
I loved working here and I almost miss it enough to want to go back if I need to. Looking back on working for Sleep Train, I almost wish I didn't take another sales job elsewhere. The only problem I had is when I was put in a slower store by myself. I'm not a by myself type of person so after working 4 months alone I had to find somewhere else that's fitting. Great place to work though.
Pros
The money is great and so is working with most of the management there.
Cons
Long hours open to close sometimes.
Relax environment with fun people
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CADecember 6, 2016
Fun environment to work in. Learned a lot about how sleep effects peoples health and how to minimizing those effects. Hardest aspect is the down time. Co-workers are the best part of the job. They help make days go by and also are your best source of new ways of doing things.
Pros
Meet lots of new people
Cons
Long periods of down time
Great people, crude corporation
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CANovember 21, 2016
The people there are amazing however being a now publicly traded company, money is its driving force and not the people.
Great company
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Covington, WANovember 7, 2016
Great company to work for. Well compensated for the work we do. Opportunity for advancement is often slim and that can make it tough to get promoted .

Management is great and will always try to be accommodating when they can be.
Pros
District Dinners, Bonuses, Hours of Operation
Cons
Work life balance can be tough, Low opportunity to advance
Sleep Train's review
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Rocklin, CAOctober 3, 2016
this is a good company, the people are good the environment was amazing and it's just unfortunate that i am leaving it. i learned a lot about people and being a good customer service rep. from working here.
Commission based mattress retail
Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 29, 2016
The company has been bought out several times in the few years I've been here. This has caused a shift away from the employee owned, employee loving company into just another massive corporation. Benefits, pay and hours have taken a dive as well as all the fun little perks we used to get. (Things like free concert tickets and summer company picnics).

The work life balance is getting squeezed as corporate wants us to work more for the same or less money, resulting in many people quitting and a lack of quality in the new personnel hired to fill their places.

There is a lot of down time down the day since it is a turn based system for working with customers. Due to this you have time to read, watch shows or learn something cool. This can also get rather boring long term though.
Pros
easy jobs, fair pay
Cons
long hours, decreasing benefits/perks
Great Place.
Sales- Travel Sales Team (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CA 93309July 31, 2016
Sleep Train was a great place to work, and before being officially hired they make sure you are ready. You are taken through a 6 week training process, that includes quiz taking, and finals. Sleep Train invest a lot into each employee making each one successful. However, the only down fall that I experienced was the long work days, in my area we usually manned the store by ourselves and it opened at 10 and closed at 9pm being in a store alone for those hours can be painful.
Great people to work with
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Covington, WAJuly 29, 2016
I enjoy the training and work experience. Great place for advancement and growth within the company. Have to opportunity to help and serve the community.
Over promise to employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 10, 2016
At Sleep Train, train is the operative word. They train you to be an obedient robot in a very boring training program run by two Stepford sisters who are themselves robots. Their whole trip is to get you to upsell the "guest" on things they don't need such as over priced sheets and mattress protection so they can pad the their pockets.

This is a great job if you have no brains or want to give your brain a sabbatical.
Pros
Great Job for somone with no ambition
Cons
Long hours in a store waitng for customers to con
Fun and Family environment
District Training Manager (Former Employee) –  San DiegoJune 8, 2016
You will be working in the store by yourself for the a majority of the week. The coworkers are great and the teamwork is awesome.
You are on commission so expect your pay checks to not be consistentI love the company culture which was positive and unified.
Pros
Co-workers and Pay
Cons
Long hours and working holidays
Enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 1, 2016
I liked this job a lot it was a good experience for me. I felt like it was full of good opportunities. I liked the work area and the co workers a lot.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sleep Train. Our community is ready to answer.