Smart & Final Employee Reviews in United States

Healthy life style
Certified Cashier (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90036April 25, 2016
working for Smart& Final was a healthy environment everyone seem to respect each other and will clock in have friendly conversations and get back to work very basic and Managers are upfront and flexible with all employees.
Pros
Stress free, good life style
Cons
lots of duties
Very stressfull
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 21, 2016
Smart and Final is a great company to work for, the problem can be the store managers. My experience was one of many people, you go in with a positive attitude and by the end of the week come out with a down spirit. There was three different manager's and all did things very differently. It was very unorganized, and you felt insecure.
Cons
we hardly took our breaks on time
Good Place to work
Mamager (Current Employee) –  ArizonaApril 14, 2016
Good place to work pay needs to be more. Health Insurance is decent and corp. managers are great. New stores are opening all of the time.
Pros
good work
Cons
lack of pay
Working
Associate Clerk (Current Employee) –  2929 Crenshaw BlvdApril 8, 2016
Working in a fast paced environment. Being considerate of others around me customers and co workers. Getting everything done in a time and orderly manner was difficult at times. Best of it all is seeing everything come together at the end of the day.
Pros
Good work. Hard work.
Cons
Short breaks. Back breaking work.
A Fun fast paced working environment and the enjoyment of working up close and personal with customers was the best part of my job
Assistant Lead (meat dept.) Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 23, 2016
I had 5 different job titles, which I loved because when hours were not available I could do other jobs within the company. Plus, I love to learn and self motivated to learn all the ins and outs of the company by doing different jobs. A typical day would consist of supervising and training new and current employees on specials and changes. Along with serving app. 75-100 customers daily providing them with excellent customer service. Answering phones, taking Togo orders and when problems occur I am the first order of problem solving ensuring the customer leaves satisfied and happy to return. Depending on the job I was doing that day for instance if I was a Line Cook the day id a bit different I would start off by prepping and cleaning my line for my shift and part of the next shift production. I would also cook half of the restaurants meals for that shift including special orders at a fast pace. This was my first job I learned many many things like the whole ins and out of what it takes to run a restaurant on a cooperate level. I started off as a hostess for a month and then quickly moved up to a waitress and a CEO Trainer.
I also was the baker and then moved up to a line cook while I was in culinary school to receive experience. The hardest part of the job was to remain calm and organized when you have 20 tickets to fill during rush hour, but when its over its the greatest gratification because I was able to stay focused and constant and the customers enjoyed their experience. Like with any job you are not always going to get along with everyone but even in highly stressful
  more... situations everyone is working for a common goal and teamwork was given without question. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to move around grow in the company with proper training.  less
Pros
Tips, Knowledege, and of course free or discounted food
Cons
The medical benefits were not that great kind of expensive
Unstable work environment, without balance or accomadations to employees
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAMarch 19, 2016
My beginning thoughts of Smart and Final were that of hope and hard work. The hard work came without a doubt and so did advancements and opportunities. Unfortunately for my store the associates gave a vibe of disorganization, distrust, and general chaos. The management is what made the store and its associate so bad. Its scheduling does not follow the associates given availability and the old manager of the store did as he pleased. The Senior assistant manager and the General Manager had such disagreement and chaos that the grand remodeling of the store made the work place such an unpleasant place to be. The hardest part of the job is ignoring the drama that went around the work place, as well as the poor scheduling of workers and associates. I've learned plenty within the store, working fast to satisfy customers and helping my team yet a typical day at work is exhausting as the responsibilities are far from what is expected and than beyond that.
Pros
fast advancements
Cons
bad management, bad teamwork, bad scheduling, terrible incentives and pay
Productive place free water bottles
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAMarch 15, 2016
High work volume due to the high number of new hires and the opening up of new locations. Upper management is great I worked corporate cant attest to working In a store.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
work load
the work was great
service clerk (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 15, 2016
i think tat the company itself could have been better because they do not talk to there employees. the when they opened the new store in las vegas it was in a bad location it was opened right across the street the from smiths.
Pros
10% off
Cons
short break
mindless work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAMarch 14, 2016
a typical day at smart and final was bringing in carts stocking all the shelf and making sure that everywhere was clean , and help customers if they ask for help or if you see them struggling. I learned that working there isn't as easy as I thought the longer I worked there the harder it got. the longer you are there the more they have you learn how to do everything. my co worker were kind of stand offish towards me when I first got there but once I got the hang of things people started to help me more and talk to me more the hardest part about the job was trying to keep up with all the new task they gave me.
Productive and fun place to work for energetic people
Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CAMarch 10, 2016
A great job to work at where other team members are nice and encouraging, great happy atmosphere Overall fun place to work with constant work to be done
Pros
Breaks
overall new experience for a young adult
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 8, 2016
i enjoyed myself at work. Everyday i meant new people from young to elder. Overall it was a great experience. The most part was when the elder women came in and they would say positive things to me especially if i was having a bad day
Pros
free lunches
good experience
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAMarch 4, 2016
cool place to work at a lot of opportunities for advancement. work great with scheduling if you have school or another job
Fun exciting on your feet environment
Key Carrier (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 27, 2016
I managed and maintained a department while running the front end of the store. This basically means that I handled all cash flow on my shift. I ran a register, handled customer inquiries, received merchandise form vendors and handled disciplinary action when necessary.
Growth opportunities
Cashier/ Bakery MGR (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 21, 2016
Company has competitive hours, respectable management, and growth opportunities. Became a manager after a year and a half, was transferred to another store for growth opportunities. Inventory was the hardest part of the job, challenging my organizational skills. Enjoyed the customers, and employee's who shopped and worked with me.
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
low pay, low hours
great place
Receiving Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas Valley, NVFebruary 15, 2016
I,m happy person very motivate very helpful ,be on time, be responsible ,create friendly environment
great management my co-workers are very good
on regular day we have a multi-task opportunities to help our costumers
Pros
10% off of purchases
Cons
little hours thats the only problem
Productive and caresmatic workplace.
Stocker/Cashier/Closing Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 13, 2016
Everyday is a day where we try to beat sales from previous years.

I have learned how to satisfy the needs of valuable customers.

Management is completely understanding and helpful.

Co-workers strive for success in the workplace.

The hardest part of my job is to fulfill everyone's needs.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that we continue to meet new people and make them happy,
Enjoyed working with my co-worker
Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 12, 2016
Working with my co-workers was great. It's a productive job. I learned to do things on my own. As a shy person it became easier for me to help customers by time.
Pros
10% discount if i shop at smart&final
Cons
hours almost constantly being cut
Part-Time Associate (Current Employee) –  Redwood City, CAFebruary 9, 2016
My co-workers are very productive they finish with their work on time. My co-workers are fun and so as my boss. I enjoy working with them because they are like a family to me.
Fast paced environment and enjoyed interacting with customers
REGISTERED CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAFebruary 5, 2016
Clock in on time, sign in to your register, maintain your work area clean and organized, stock up on bags to register if needed, greet customers with a smile, ask if they found everything ok, call the manager over the intercom when you have a service/901, face the coolers near the register when it is slow, stock up sodas, water, and energy drinks, make sure not to have more than three customers in line, provide excellent customer service.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
10 min break
productive
Part-time Cashier and customer service (Current Employee) –  Redwood City, CAFebruary 2, 2016
I would be answering phone calls and helping customers with their needs. Also doing closing duties which include; cleaning the registers,changing trash bags and cleaning the area.