Smart & Final Employee Reviews

Nota fun place
Cashier/Customer Service,stocking (Former Employee) –  La Habra, CAJanuary 14, 2018
No room for advancement learned nothing management played favorites culture not fun the hardest part is not moving up. The people I worked with for must part were great
Fast-paced and mutli-tasking job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 13, 2018
As a cashier we are expected to greet customers who are in our line plus those walking in the store, ring up items quickly, ensure customers had a great experience. Overall, most customers are nice and your co-workers can become like family allowing a pleasant workday to fly by.
stress full
casher p/t Associate (Former Employee) –  Montebello, CAJanuary 11, 2018
never enough staff to cover breaks and lunch. Managers are not considerate. looking to meet their goals only. They don't seem to care about the employee
Pros
member discount card 10 %
Cons
at times no breaks and over work loads
Good workplace unsafe location
Cashier and Checker (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 11, 2018
My experience here was good. I love the fact that I had the opportunity to interact with a diverse group of people. Along with the idea of making someones day by providing excellent customer service. They say a smile goes along with no doubt about that.
Cons
It was an unsafe place to work.
productive workspace
Crew Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 10, 2018
They no longer do outside sales. Had a good boss who was dedicated to his staff. Always enjoyed helping my customers with good products.The hardest part of the job came around 5-7 pm when it was the busiest. Having to work quickly to satisfy so many customers needs had to be the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job had to be how manageable the job was.
Pros
decent breaks
Cons
timing
Faced paced work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAJanuary 6, 2018
The Smart & Final crew was about the best team I've ever worked with. As an old team member we defined the definition "Team Work" we picked up each others slack an also motivated an corrected one another when needed. The Manger & Key Holder were very patient when it came to answering any customer's or co-worker's question. I've learned how to deal with customer's on a busy day and how to deal with an upset customer who either had a complain about the sales on the ad or when we would be out of stock of an item on a empty shelf. The only difficult experience I had ever had as a cashier was when a customer was upset of the weighed of a bulk item an well yelled at me in front of customers. We did fix the problem, with my manager assisting me. Other then that, I did enjoy my time working at Smart & Final.
Pros
Discount on grocerys
Cons
Not enough work hours
Good atmosphere, stressful at times
Lead Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnetka, CAJanuary 5, 2018
Holidays are a bit busy and sometimes stressful. Being a woman in this field is somewhat challenging and co-workers, etc. don't always show respect. It seems as if they want you to prove that you can lift heavy boxes on your own and use the saws as they would. Once you get past that and the bad mouthing, it's all good.
Pros
Good pay and hours
Cons
gender bias, benefits after 18 months
Fast paced and intense
Acting Director (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2018
Fast paced environment. No union, means unlimited advancement potential according to desire and results, not seniority. Expectation of absolute perfection
Pros
Amazing experience and development
Cons
Overworked, and lack of work/life balance
Fast pace
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Laguna Hills, CAJanuary 4, 2018
I enjoy working with others specially been able to help customers with what they’re looking for and help I can assistance them. But what I don’t like about the company is how they are always changing Managers every 6 months.
Cons
Stressful understaffed environment. Inexperienced unprofessional management. Lack of enthusiastic employees.
Pricing Lead, Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Carpinteria, CAJanuary 1, 2018
I dreaded going to work everyday. I was one of the youngest people working and quickly moved up into management which was nice to have my ethics rewarded but the internal control policies in the pricing department are ineffective and inefficient so that goals seem futile. Poor and dated system technology is another detriment to the work environment. Inappropriate and uninspiring management. Had to clock 14 hour shifts every tuesday night and clock out early because policy saud no overtime hours punched in had to pencil them in to be added later and sometines never recieved them. Understaffing and budgeting calls for stressful and unrewarding shifts.
Pros
Was able to move up easily and quickly
Cons
Everything else
Ehhh
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 27, 2017
This is a good place for kids in high school or young adults who might want to gain some experience in the workforce. Pervs everywhere and no career advancement opportunities
Pros
They will work with you hours
Cons
Terrible pay
Fun workplace But.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Bishop, CADecember 26, 2017
It was a nice place to work I enjoyed it but when I tried to get a transfer my manager denied me. Would work there again just wasn't to fond of my manager
Pros
Friendly staff. Great work environment
Cons
None really just my manager was lazy and stuff
Stressful
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CADecember 19, 2017
Working here is not for people that can't handle stress. Consistently understaffed due to people with a sense of entitlement not being able to handle the pressures of the work environment here
Decent work for long term employees
Full Time Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CADecember 19, 2017
If you do not have prior grocery/ retail experience, expect to spend a time in the minimum wage or close to minimum wage area. The environment with coworkers is enjoyable, but there is a fair amount of the blame game.
Customers are similar to any other retail, so nights seem to be the popular shift. Night stocking crew will work a heavy load of product, clean the sales floor, organize displays, and various other jobs assigned by the manager in a typical 8-hour shift, but overtime is not allowed, only if absolutely necessary.
If you intend on working for a year and a half to reach a decent 13 per hour and supervisor position, it is fairly easily attainable as long as you frequently check in with the manager and ask what they need to be done.
The time gap between raises is infrequent and depending on your effort, you may feel your wage is very underwhelming for the amount of physical labor put in. Especially if you work directly with the manager completing tasks for them throughout each day, verbal praise is heavily present, but they are hardly reinforced with compensation by raises.
Overall Smart and Final is a great first job whether you are young or just entering retail for the first time, but employment lasting a few years plus will land you in a place where the wage is worth the work.
Pros
Great coworker interaction
Cons
Short breaks, High demand/stress
Peaceful work environment
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CADecember 17, 2017
It was a very nice laid back but quick-paced job and it had a peaceful work environment with friendly co-workers along with pretty nice customers too.
Cons
Location of the store, break room was too small, and people would steal from the store.
Flexible
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CADecember 16, 2017
Very good company to work for a start up, gets very fast paced at times. Not enough labor to help achieve the daily goal. Have met some amazing associates, and even better managers.

Management could be better, although certain managers are very good at what they do and help you achieve the goal.
Pros
Flexibility, hours.
Cons
Not enough labor, short breaks, not enough raises, not enough recognition.
Good place to start
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulare, CADecember 11, 2017
Had a great manager, but corporate did not understand how stores operate on a day to day basis. Fast paced environment in which a person can really learn a lot.
Solid job
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carson, CADecember 10, 2017
Worked out for me while i was going to school. Flexible hours, usually 5-10, about 3-4 days a week. Management was alright, i usually didnt work with them as they worked the day shift. Cool employees, not much room for job progression though.
Fast paced , hard work, high expectations
Load Crew (Former Employee) –  Banning, CADecember 8, 2017
Working here was no joke, I tried my hardest in my area but it was too complicated, I was given too many very small items to stock which made me take time to look nice on the shelf.
Pros
Good company to work for
Cons
Started very early in the morning
good
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CADecember 7, 2017
enjoy seeing my coworkers there when i come in the morning. everyone is nice . they can be helpful when i need help lifting heavy boxes. busy especially in my department.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smart & Final. Our community is ready to answer.