Smart & Final Employee Reviews

Merit based advancement
Overnight Stocker (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJanuary 25, 2017
Been working for them over a year now. They are very quick to recognize hard work and give opportunity for advancement if the grocery business is the career path you want to take. Like any professional environment they look for dedicated hard workers to go above and beyond. Working overnight stocking is one of the surest ways to be recognized, though the job is physically demanding.
Pros
Consistent breaks and lunches, leadership is attentive of any problems you might have with personale, job, hours, etc. Being trained to operate a register earns you an extra dollar per hour.
Cons
Work hours get cut short during the summer months, hours are competitive between employees during the day time, full time isnt available for nonmanagement employees.
productive workplace
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAMarch 19, 2017
Smart and Final is a great place to work for the upcoming manager and job seeker. One can spend their college career or even their entire life working there with no issues. It can be a great place to advance your skills and learn a new trade in the grocery business. The hardest part of the job was the close watch the managers had on the employees sometimes. Without the openess to innovative and try new things it can be difficult to follow the old ways of things. The management team was always supportive and the workplace culture was great to be part of. The most enjoyable part of the job is essentially you are working along side your friends and making a difference in the workplace to provide a service for customers.
Pros
Job security, great people to work with, freedom to make decisions
Cons
advancement issues, the workplace can be somewhat political, shortage of staff adds stress to the job
The best and worst place to work at.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Merced, CASeptember 8, 2016
A typical day at work for me was filling end caps,customer service, keeping the lines down,special orders, and closing the store.The most enjoyable part of the job was the people and the customers. I loved working at my store simply because of them, from my coworkers making me laugh, the food parties, the sense of having a new caring family support you regardless if it was work related or not, all the way the customers being happy to see you. The hardest part was honestly the benefits and the lack of care upper management gave when it came to their employees compared to the store.
Productive and friendly workplace
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAMarch 25, 2017
A typical day at work was usually the same. for about the first couple of hours i would clean the shelves around the store, but after that if the manager saw i needed something else to do he would tell me to either do go-backs or stack shelves, so overall the whole day was fair productive. As for what i learned while i working at Smart and final, i learned how be organized and keep things in order.

The management of the store was very supervised and orderly. it seemed sorta like a family but without all the drama and commotion.The hardest part of the job was knowing where things were at because a couple time they would move a few merchandise around.
smart and final
Assistant Produce Manager (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAJanuary 29, 2017
needs better management and communication, and team building and better access to information, to give others more opportunities and better opportunies for advancement
Pros
coupons on holidays
Cons
poor leadership
Decent place to work. Flexible hours.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 28, 2017
Fast paced environment, decent pay. Takes a long time to get health benefits unless you're full time, which is also hard to get. Management changes often.
Smart and Final is a great stepping stone! Teaches you a lot and fast! Customer service is number one
Front End Manager (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMarch 7, 2017
Make sure you're ready to work! Smart and final is a great stepping stone into the work force! Fun employees and great management are there to help you through whatever it is you'd love to accomplish! Full time/ part time availability so you can chose your hours! Have a child or go to school? They make sure family comes first and works around your busy thing called life! It has been a blessing working there and being a manager is a very rewarding job
Productive great envrionment and culture
Senior Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Gilroy, CAFebruary 4, 2017
I loved working for Smart and Final. very professional with great advancement opportunity. I only left because I relocated to an area outside of Smart and Final regions. Would have loved to retire with this company.
Pros
Challenging and exciting amount of daily issues to resolve.
Cons
Sometimes your asked to work 6 days a work but without overtime. 4-6 hours a shift.
Productive and Hardworking environment
Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CASeptember 16, 2016
On a typical day I would be given a set of tasks that would have to be done regardless of the hours scheduled for me. It was always the same tasks while handling immediate tasks given by other co workers. I learned how to manage my time, and get tasks done very quickly and adapt to new tasks.The management did not know I was underage for most of the tasks I was doing and if I were to get injured, it could have been a large law suit to the company. My co- workers were easy to get along with. The hardest part about my job was having to have everything done because the progress I made depended on other people. The most enjoyable part is meeting and helping new people
Pros
10% discount card.
Cons
Short break
It was great to meet people from all over the business world
LEAD CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Industry, CAJanuary 9, 2017
The employees were great and I loved my first store. The manager was great and we always had hours to work. Then I transferred to a different store and the management was not to great. They were more rigid and the turn over rate for cashiers to quit was like 80%. He made them feel uncomfortable.
productive and friendly
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  auburn blvd, citrus height, CAMarch 25, 2017
stock shelf when product are empty, clean restroom and floor, carry out when customer needed, cart run when empty. I learned to be productive and greet customer service. friendly workplace. heavy work and do carry out for customer.
Pros
disconunt empolyee, 401k, benefit
Cons
heavy work, carry out
Energetic, friendly workplace.
Overnight Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZMarch 1, 2017
A typical day at work for me consists of productivity and stability. I feel its important to understand what you learned and remember it in the future. Over the time of my working days I've learned to take orders as well as handle money, respect my employees, and do the job and do it good. I feel the hardest part of most jobs is when two people don't see eye to eye. One may not be able to accept your recommendation and want it their way which tends to complicate things. My most enjoyable part of working is simply taking care of business. Accomplishing and taking care of business makes me feel good and better about myself.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Healthcare
growth opportunities
Supervising Manager (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 15, 2016
Smart and final is a corporation that is expanding at an amazing rate and is always hiring with the hopes of making one grow with the company and maybe one day owning your own store. Great career opportunities
Pros
growth
Cons
holiday workdays
Odd hours, High school like enviorment, Negative people
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAOctober 25, 2016
I worked for the company for six months and enjoyed maybe the first two months, Managers would send pictures/ texts in group messages talking about employees. Rumors started by management/ associates reminded me of high school, I was called a "child" and had personal items thrown on the floor due to me leaving a jacket in a department instead of a locker. VERY disappointing work environment.
Great work enviroment , great coworkers
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 6, 2017
Fast pace environment , improved communication skills excellent team players.
Most enjoyable part is meeting new people
Management was very supportive
Pros
Learned new skills
Cons
Not enough hours
fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Pablo, CAMarch 16, 2017
great place to work good hours easy to move up in the company great pay management is also great the hardest thing about is the public but other than that this is good place to work at
Pros
managment
Cons
short breaks
unorganized
"Team member" (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAFebruary 24, 2017
I was told that everyone started off as a service clerk and new people would show up and start as a cashier which is pretty upsetting because a service clerk job is hard and easy at times and it a job no one wants to do there and to be told that i had to start at the bottom and that not be the case is misleading. I was moved to cashier but my manager always had workers quitting on him so he'd only use me to do the job i used to do and that was upsetting. Other than that it was an okay job but the manager there needs a total attitude adjustment
Pros
working full-time hours being part time
Cons
the manager
Quick paced, organized, and reasonable.
Service Clerk/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Alhambra, CAFebruary 6, 2017
Smart and Final is a great place to work. Employees are wonderful, customers are great, and management is always on their A game.
Excellent
CASHIER, SERVICE CLERK, MEAT CLERK (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CADecember 29, 2016
Well, I always like to learn different things. I have the concept and the idea of the more you know the more valuable you are and that is why in my last job at smart and final I could learn three different things(cashier, service clerk, meat clerk) in less than one year. The managers looked at me as one of the few people that worked fast and hard without making excuses to new tasks. I am not gonna lie but I got three offers from customers that wanted me to work for them because the saw on me a good potential. I am always willing to learn anything but of course I like to be rewarded for my job done. For me the most enjoyable part of my job was the customers. They were more than friends to me. And of course there were some hard customers but nothing that I could not resolve in a good manner. Also, I can say that the hardest part of my job was the beginning because its not easy to learn different things, but not impossible. Thank you
Pros
NICE PEOPLE
Cons
NO OPPORTUNITIES TO GROW UP
Great company.
Meat Department Manager (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAOctober 4, 2016
Since I work with Smart & Final i had been improving my experience and expectations to set up my goal for the company and my self. Means set up a great system into my department and cooperate with corporate office to review requirements to maximize sales and reduce lost and shrink. Management and cooperate with employees to have a better communications and set up their goals into the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smart & Final. Our community is ready to answer.