Smart & Final

Smart & Final Employee Reviews

Part-time Associate (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 24, 2015
-Learned to multitask in a fast pace environment.
-Importance of customer service.
-How to maintain a safe working environment.
Lots of work packed into a short shift
Customer Service - Cashier (Former Employee), Fresno, CAJune 22, 2015
You may wake up before the sun and go home before your teenager rolls out of bed on a non-school day. You'll work 20/week so they won't have to give you benefits. I learned it's really cold in the ice cream freezer and if you're in there for more than 10 minute it'll take another 10 minutes to thaw when you get out. Management and leadership are great and supportive people.
Store 403, not a good place to work
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee), Stockton, CAJune 21, 2015
Bosses are very rude, they complain about the littlest things that they can do themselves instead of sitting in the office all day doing nothing. Hours are cut almost all the time. Management takes up all the money, but does absolutely nothing, they get paid to have employees under them do their job.
It was a decent place to work
Service Clerk (Former Employee), Lakewood, CAJune 14, 2015
Pros: potlucks
Cons: not enough hours
Typical day at work is assisting with various customers with there specific needs. I learned how to operate a baler, making price tags. The management does need some improvements. My coworkers are like my family. The hardest part was getting pass over for a promotion. The most enjoyable part of the job is making customers happy.
This company has potential
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 8, 2015
Pros: paid training/ benifits at full time
Cons: no set schedule
There is room for advancement at smart and final, but you will have to earn it. They typically promote from with in. It can be a fun job if you make it that way. They will train you with everything you need to know to be successful.
Very hands on job with a great team.
Management level (Former Employee), West Hollywood, CAMay 12, 2015
Pros: free lunches, company gatherings, raises every certain hours
Cons: the hours needed to get raises is quite a few.
Out of all the jobs ive had I think Smart & Final was the best one. It is a very fast-paced and hands on type of job. You are always on your feet. There is always room for advancement here. Interacting with customers is always fun. The managers are usually very nice and always come around to help. It is hard to get a raise since it is based on the hours you work but you just have to do your job well in order to get more hours.
productive
Customer service (Former Employee), Upland, CAMay 5, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short breaks
Good days over all, i learned a lot. Management was good. co-workers were good. Hardest part was me being to organized.
Most enjoyable part was interacting with customers.
Great co-workers, very friendly.
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee), Riverside, CAMay 4, 2015
Pros: Employee discount, decent paychecks
Cons: healthcare, prefer to work in regular shoes instead of work boots.
Work days can vary from slow to fast paced, though I always have a lot of work in front of me. I learned that teamwork is the usual (and most of the time) method to get a heavy workload finished. The managers I have worked with so far are great. Like friends you can joke around and have a good laugh with. I would have to say that the hardest part of my job so far is trying to work both produce and deli departments at the same time. The most enjoyable parts of my job would be working produce as I have a responsibility to provide fresh fruits and vegetables to the customer, which gives me challenge. The second would have to be the register because I get to interact with customers.
this is the only job that i received promotion and a raised
Cashier (Former Employee), Irvine, CAMarch 20, 2015
Pros: kickback job
Cons: none
I was able to grow in this company and become a shift leader, its a really good company to work for and its not stressful at all
sucked
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Fullerton, CAMarch 20, 2015
Pros: paid on time
Cons: management sucked
management sucked, no room to grow, in order to get raise you have to work one million years and will only get ten cents, not enough employees
nice break room with big screens for sports
Pallet Jack Operator (Former Employee), Fontana, CAMarch 19, 2015
Pros: pallet jack riding
Cons: management not very helpful
the minute I clocked in we were instructed to begin order picking which was fun on the electric pallet jack but headsets were a problem which decreased my productivity rate. management were hard to find at times especially being new still but employees were friendly.
Very iron-fisted at times
Service Clerk (Current Employee), Encino, CAMarch 12, 2015
Pros: 10% employee discount
Cons: no healthcare to non-fulltime, difficult to get fulltime
I understand that companies need to maintain a certain type of integrity, but to treat there work force like expendable assets is another thing. On a normal day, you normally run on your to-do list and complete the same tasks again throughout. My manager isn't the type to condescend on every lower ranking, however, having to work twice as hard in the presence of the assistant manager because of the fear of being scolded at, well makes this part the hardest part of the job. It is very difficult to receive requested hours.
Productive environment
Curtesy clerk (Former Employee), Palmdale, CAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: environment
My first step was working with Smart & Final, very interesting characters and interesting co-workers, Smart & Final brought new clues to my life.
The Smart & Final fast pace working store
Service Clerk/Night Shift (Former Employee), Redwood City, CAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: great manager
Cons: short breaks
Solved problems and provided customer service. Made sure the store was up to standard. Served as service clerk, cashier and on the night crew. Greet customers and help them find their purchases. Co-workers were very friendly and hard-working. Hardest part of the job was closing duties. I enjoyed helping customers inside the store and helping them with carry-outs.
Good job that pays the bills
Part-Time Key Carrier (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: 401k, health insurance, raises after working a certain amount of hours, advance positions
Cons: short breaks, sometimes bad hours, no bonuses
I've been with this company for almost 7 years now so I can't say I hate it. I clock in and give it my all everyday. This is my first real job that has taught me a lot about how business works, especially in the food industry. Every manager I've had has taught me something new and I've always carried the information that they've taught me onto how I train new employees. The only negative part about this job is that the work hours can be very difficult to work around your personal life. What I really enjoy is the customers and co-workers. I do appreciate all my customers because without them, I wouldn't be able to pay my bills. I appreciate my co-workers because we work as a team to get the job done.
Store Clerk (Former Employee), Covina, CAFebruary 7, 2015
Helped me be able to sell things and showed me a lot about how grocery stores work. They had good management and great co workers.
productive fun place to work at.
Cashier (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 26, 2015
I did cashiering and customer service very positive atmosphere.
Company is always expanding
Supervisor (Current Employee), Baldwin Park, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Company is expanding, however, the opportunity for advancement is very slow.
Great culture and rewarding job
Produce Lead (Current Employee), Encinitas, CADecember 3, 2014
Pros: great culture, supportive to students
Cons: advancement is limited
This job has helped me learn that I can do anything I want to do if I put outstanding planning and effort into my goals. The culture is very straightforward: if you want something, go and get it. The management is very supportive to those associates that show a genuine interest in advancing their careers with the company.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me is having management give me autonomy to develop and implement plans that will help our customers save money. The hardest part of the job for me is waking up at 3 a.m. to get to work since I have attended school at night for the past 4 years.

The culture is especially supportive to students like myself. Most of my past managers are college graduates themselves and they have all supported me by being flexible with my school schedule. This company has given me the opportunity to reach my long-term goals while providing me with leadership abilities and intangible experience that can only be acquired through customer interactions.
Slow but fun work place.
Service Clerk (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVNovember 15, 2014
Fun co workers. Fun managers. Learned how to work in a store.

1 2 3 4 5

About Smart & Final

Smart & Final caters to caterers -- as well as small businesses, restaurants, and householdsĀ in the western US. ItsĀ 235 non-membership – Read more

Smart & Final Salaries