Independently conducts experiments, gathers data, draws conclusions and prepares written reports to result in new or improved products.
Apply scientific knowledge of raw materials and properties to develop new products from conceptualization to commercialization (covering all aspects of product development) as well as maintaining and improving existing products.
The successful candidate will be solution oriented and can demonstrate an increased level of expertise for emerging technology. Interactions with marketing and quality assurance.
Smart Balance, Inc. (NasdaqGM: SMBL) is committed to providing superior tasting heart healthier alternatives in every category it enters by avoiding trans fats naturally, balancing fats and/or reducing saturated fats, total fat and cholesterol, and/or by incorporating ingredients that consumers may be missing in their diets. The company markets the Smart Balance® line of products, which include Smart Balance® Buttery Spreads/Sticks, Spreadable Butter, Enhanced Milk, Peanut Butter, Microwave Popcorn, Cooking Oil, Non-Stick Cooking Spray, Mayonnaise, and Cheese. Additionally, the company markets natural food products under the Earth Balance® brand, healthier lifestyle products under the Bestlife™ brand, and gluten-free products under the Glutino® brand.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Apply knowledge of properties and interactions of raw materials to development and manufacturing of new products and improvement of existing products.
- Identify, screen and develop new opportunities outside company including opportunities related to value optimization and quality improvement.
- Transfer new products from development to manufacturing (i.e. covering all aspects of product development from concept to commercialization).
- Develop QC specifications, create and edit nutritional labels and qualify new ingredients.
- Maintain database for formulations and nutritional data.
- Conduct stability testing to determine shelf life of products.
- Provide technical feasibility for new product ideas.
- Work with marketing to develop/ improve new product concepts.
- Work with accounting on cost of ingredients.
- Coordinate sensory evaluation for new and existing products.
*Reports to: Vice President Research and Development
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Background in science
- Experience in product development preferred
- Experience in fats and oils, buttery spreads/margarine, dairy industry, or snacks
- Works well in team environment
- Ability to work through problem solving equations
- Excellent Project Management skills
- Excellent knowledge of computer programs including Microsoft Office
- 25 - 50 % Travel required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work and communicate in a manufacturing environment is vital.
- Strong interpersonal and business communication skills – both written and verbal
- Strong results focus and goal achievement skills
- Self starter with ability to work in a virtual team environment and solve problems
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science
- 5 years experience in fats and oils, buttery spreads/margarine, dairy industry or snacks.
*Location: Paramus NJ
How to Apply
To be considered for this exciting opportunity send an email with the following:
- Subject line of “Smart Balance Inc - Food Scientist”
- Must include: Cover Letter, Resume and Salary Requirements