Smart Financial Credit Union Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 23, 2017
This was an awesome company to work for. Treated employees really well.
Learned how to be a team lead.
The culture wad nicely diverse.
Hardest part of the job, was disappointing customers that I could assist no further.
Assisting customer, and satisfaction of knowing they'll return.
Pros
Hour Lunches
Cons
Bad Parking
Great place to work, especially compared to other banker jobs
FSS (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 10, 2016
This place has great people working for it. Management really cares about their people, and hires good managers. Sales pressure is minimal compared to other banking jobs. Plus, you can also say what's on your mind and not be fearful of losing your job. There's also an online employee manual that literally tells you how to do everything step by step. The only stress is from the number of members you may help in a day. I was terminated for being an idiot and compromising integrity, but I still can't say anything bad about Smart Financial Credit Union.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great people and management, good pay
Cons
Upset customers
Carpenter
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXNovember 7, 2016
Carpenter was the job description of the position at Smart Financial. The work consisted of building blocking installation on numerous parts of the building and other structural work as assigned or needed.
Pros
Worked with a variety of different trade groups as a team member to ensure a quality product..
Cons
Laborous
Ok place to work if you can deal with management playing favorites
FSS (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 14, 2016
SFCU would be an okay place to work if they can have a good training program in place to train new employees and make sure they have updated CE training on a yearly basis. There literally is no guide or handbook that a new employee can use to train with. You are to "learn on the fly" and just shadow someone till you can grasp the job. Sometimes the person you are sitting with doesn't know what they are doing either. Also management really needs to stop playing favorites and look at productivity of employees. It is frustrating when employees that continue to fail in getting results continue to get promoted. They do have decent benefits and the fellow employees are probably the best part.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No training, poor management
productive and fun place to work
Teller II - Accounting (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 11, 2016
everything about this job if great from the management to the benefits. the work environment is amazing everyone is friendly and they treat each other like family.
Pros
the pay, benefits, hours
Cons
if you are a full time student the hours can interfer with your schedule
Productive workplace with great benefits
Financial Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 9, 2015
Assisting members via telephone with account inquires, resolve complex account related issues. Awesome work culture. Great career with decent benefits.
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2015
This company has a great atmosphere and employees feel valued and part of a team. Being the first financial institution to work for, the amount of things learned was priceless.
Pros
Human Resource Department and communication
Cons
Promotions based on "who you know". Very political career advancement
Careless
Financial Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 4, 2015
Could careless about employees and members. Needs to have better management. Keeps employee's divided instead of working toward teamwork.
Good Job Culture, poor management, pay is decent but could improve.
Member Services (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 8, 2015
The culture at this company is great and there are a lot of activities provided by executives that are fun to attend and they have a wonderful HR department. Some of the managers/supervisors need to be reevaluated because they are NOT team leaders like they should be. The pay decent, but if you sell like crazy and get incentives from it then you could earn a lot. Overall, not a bad place to work.
Pros
incentives, company parties, benefits
Cons
management
Conroe Branch
Teller II (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXDecember 11, 2014
Okay so let me just say that when I first started at Smart, I loved it. Awesome management, great teller team, and I definitely gained a lot of experience.
Unfortunately management changed and so did working conditions. I was taken advantage of and promised positions that they wanted to train me for but not pay me for. It was a very stressful environment. Whenever I saw that my career was not going any where I found a better position at a better company and am much happier now. Overall, this is a great starting position for someone who would like sales and customer service training. Unfortunately the financial industry is not for everyone.
Pros
Great experience, wonderful members
Cons
Cutthroat Industry, stressful conditions
LS (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 7, 2014
Worst management ever! The only great thing about working here is the people you get to meet.
The employees are nice but..
Teller (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 21, 2014
The job is nice if you like working in a bank. If you like sitting in one spot for 8 hours not moving while having a micromanaging manager saying find something to do while the bank is empty. The other employees can be great but they have there off days too. I'll put it this way if you are built to work in a bank of having ample experience go for it, working there may be one of the best jobs you've ever had. However, for people like me who like to stay busy and stay moving it is not the one.
Pros
The mellow work environment
Cons
An ill-prepared manager
awesome culture
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 5, 2014
best place to work awesome support staff, great opportunities for advancement.
Pros
causal dress
Cons
nothing
Daily Member Service Representative
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 29, 2014
I've started as a teller for Smart Financial Credit Union in 2010. The duties as a teller are, balance cash box, member friendliness, referrals for the Financial Service Representatives, and maintain public adequate. In 2011, I've graduate from University of Houston with a Bachelor degree in Finance. I was hired as a Member Service in 2011for Smart Financial Credit Union Call Center. I have to maintain accurate information for the member, report projects to the managers, referral loans, process online applications for membership, and credit card funding for new account holders. Management at the credit union is by far one of the best I have seen in my work experiences. We treat our co-workers as family. The hardest part of my job is when I am limited on what I can do for the members/customers. Superior service is our priority with Smart Financial. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I know that I have resolve the customers/members critical problems. I want to help others that are in need of help or that need help to maintain daily objectives.
Pros
Flexible, time-off, vacations, compensation
Cons
Limited on ways to help members
Great Company to work for
Teller (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasDecember 10, 2013
The company was great, my Credit Union branch was great, over all a wonderful company to be a Teller at.
Pros
Treated Great, even the CEO knows you by Name
Teller
Teller (Current Employee) –  Spring, TXNovember 5, 2013
A typical day at Smart Financial CU would be getting to work by 8:45a and making sure the lobby is safe and secure, making sure all cash and or cash advances was recorded into the system, shredding our checks that are more than 30 days old, making sure the CDU is balanced and night drop has been accounted for. We have to make sure all the supplies are stocked and have the branch open by 9:00a.
Not a great place too work
FSS (Former Employee) –  houston txOctober 25, 2013
I came from the big bank world and semi big credit union world, and to come here to this company was a mistake.. Training is a joke( a person sitting with you showing you short cuts around the system causing you to make errors on accounts... management is a joke as well.
Pros
the members
Cons
unorganized
Great place to learn
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Kingwood, TXAugust 21, 2013
Smart Financial Credit Union has provided a lot of opportunities for growth. I've learned a lot working here and really enjoy the work environment.
Pros
Great Benefits
Good Place to Work
Teller (Current Employee) –  Kingwood, TXFebruary 27, 2013
I love this company. It has a great executive team. I have great coworkers and enjoy working with them. Our day is pretty repetative, but we keep a fun and pleasant atmosphere. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to work and associate with all different types of people.
Great Opportunities
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingwood, TXJuly 16, 2012
Smart Financial Credit Union was a fantastic company to work for. They offered many opportunities for self and professional development. From working with Smart Financial Credit Union, I have learned that the ski is the limit. If you put in the hard work and actively pursue your goals, you will be rewarded.
Pros
casual atmosphere. great benefits
Cons
very low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smart Financial Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

Smart Financial Credit Union Reviews by Location