Smart Financial Credit Union Employee Reviews

Business Development Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 14, 2017
The benefits at this place was amazing. The culture is also very friendly and the atmosphere is welcoming. Communication across departments is extremely crucial and hard work is expected out of everyone.
Not great
Sales (Former Employee) –  HoustonJuly 12, 2017
Opportunity for real advancement is left for those in the "inner circle". Politics are very much a part of the job experience and it can be difficult to move ahead past lower level positions unless of course you sell yourself well coming in, then you can pass over well deserved tenured employees regardless of lack of experience. Also there are very few minorities in senior management team.
Benefits
Cons
Pay and advancement
Productive and Fun Place to work
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 1, 2017
Productive and Fun Place to work. Great Beneifits and awesome work life balance.Working together as a team is very important and they definitely hold their employees to a very high standard.
Friendly Environment
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 10, 2017
Most of the people I worked with were team players and hard workers. I had fairly easy tasks to complete, but I never felt alone or singled out.

The hardest part of the job was organizing items to send out to the different branches, and the most enjoyable part was bonding with co-workers.
Typical sales environment
Consumer Lending Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 1, 2017
Typical sales environment, products are for every member. Member needs to be told what they want. Aggressive co workers and shark tank like environment.
Cons
Hard sales
Great Place to work
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 23, 2017
This was an awesome company to work for. Treated employees really well.
Learned how to be a team lead.
The culture wad nicely diverse.
Hardest part of the job, was disappointing customers that I could assist no further.
Assisting customer, and satisfaction of knowing they'll return.
Pros
Hour Lunches
Cons
Bad Parking
Summary
Teller (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 11, 2017
Good job it really just depends on the position. Most of the people are pretty awesome. Just like any job there are lots of pros and cons to it.
Great place to work, especially compared to other banker jobs
FSS (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 10, 2016
This place has great people working for it. Management really cares about their people, and hires good managers. Sales pressure is minimal compared to other banking jobs. Plus, you can also say what's on your mind and not be fearful of losing your job. There's also an online employee manual that literally tells you how to do everything step by step. The only stress is from the number of members you may help in a day. I was terminated for being an idiot and compromising integrity, but I still can't say anything bad about Smart Financial Credit Union.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great people and management, good pay
Cons
Upset customers
Ok place to work if you can deal with management playing favorites
FSS (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 14, 2016
SFCU would be an okay place to work if they can have a good training program in place to train new employees and make sure they have updated CE training on a yearly basis. There literally is no guide or handbook that a new employee can use to train with. You are to "learn on the fly" and just shadow someone till you can grasp the job. Sometimes the person you are sitting with doesn't know what they are doing either. Also management really needs to stop playing favorites and look at productivity of employees. It is frustrating when employees that continue to fail in getting results continue to get promoted. They do have decent benefits and the fellow employees are probably the best part.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No training, poor management
productive and fun place to work
Teller II - Accounting (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 11, 2016
everything about this job if great from the management to the benefits. the work environment is amazing everyone is friendly and they treat each other like family.
Pros
the pay, benefits, hours
Cons
if you are a full time student the hours can interfer with your schedule

Want to know more about Smart Financial Credit Union?

Ask a question
Productive workplace with great benefits
Financial Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 9, 2015
Assisting members via telephone with account inquires, resolve complex account related issues. Awesome work culture. Great career with decent benefits.
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2015
This company has a great atmosphere and employees feel valued and part of a team. Being the first financial institution to work for, the amount of things learned was priceless.
Pros
Human Resource Department and communication
Cons
Promotions based on "who you know". Very political career advancement
Careless
Financial Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 4, 2015
Could careless about employees and members. Needs to have better management. Keeps employee's divided instead of working toward teamwork.
Good Job Culture, poor management, pay is decent but could improve.
Member Services (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 8, 2015
The culture at this company is great and there are a lot of activities provided by executives that are fun to attend and they have a wonderful HR department. Some of the managers/supervisors need to be reevaluated because they are NOT team leaders like they should be. The pay decent, but if you sell like crazy and get incentives from it then you could earn a lot. Overall, not a bad place to work.
Pros
incentives, company parties, benefits
Cons
management
Conroe Branch
Teller II (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXDecember 11, 2014
Okay so let me just say that when I first started at Smart, I loved it. Awesome management, great teller team, and I definitely gained a lot of experience.
Unfortunately management changed and so did working conditions. I was taken advantage of and promised positions that they wanted to train me for but not pay me for. It was a very stressful environment. Whenever I saw that my career was not going any where I found a better position at a better company and am much happier now. Overall, this is a great starting position for someone who would like sales and customer service training. Unfortunately the financial industry is not for everyone.
Pros
Great experience, wonderful members
Cons
Cutthroat Industry, stressful conditions
LS (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 7, 2014
Worst management ever! The only great thing about working here is the people you get to meet.
The employees are nice but..
Teller (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 21, 2014
The job is nice if you like working in a bank. If you like sitting in one spot for 8 hours not moving while having a micromanaging manager saying find something to do while the bank is empty. The other employees can be great but they have there off days too. I'll put it this way if you are built to work in a bank of having ample experience go for it, working there may be one of the best jobs you've ever had. However, for people like me who like to stay busy and stay moving it is not the one.
Pros
The mellow work environment
Cons
An ill-prepared manager
awesome culture
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 5, 2014
best place to work awesome support staff, great opportunities for advancement.
Pros
causal dress
Cons
nothing
Daily Member Service Representative
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 29, 2014
I've started as a teller for Smart Financial Credit Union in 2010. The duties as a teller are, balance cash box, member friendliness, referrals for the Financial Service Representatives, and maintain public adequate. In 2011, I've graduate from University of Houston with a Bachelor degree in Finance. I was hired as a Member Service in 2011for Smart Financial Credit Union Call Center. I have to maintain accurate information for the member, report projects to the managers, referral loans, process online applications for membership, and credit card funding for new account holders. Management at the credit union is by far one of the best I have seen in my work experiences. We treat our co-workers as family. The hardest part of my job is when I am limited on what I can do for the members/customers. Superior service is our priority with Smart Financial. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I know that I have resolve the customers/members critical problems. I want to help others that are in need of help or that need help to maintain daily objectives.
Pros
Flexible, time-off, vacations, compensation
Cons
Limited on ways to help members
Great Company to work for
Teller (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasDecember 10, 2013
The company was great, my Credit Union branch was great, over all a wonderful company to be a Teller at.
Pros
Treated Great, even the CEO knows you by Name
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smart Financial Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

Smart Financial Credit Union Reviews by Location