The Construction Manager will be involved in the auditing, design and installation of energy efficiency projects. Typical projects will be lighting retrofit and lighting control systems in commercial, industrial, warehousing, retail and public sector facilities. Other energy efficiency projects may develop per Customer needs. The Construction Manager is also responsible for developing and managing foremen and technicians.
This position will be based in Starkville, MS.
· Perform on-site room by room lighting audits and lighting retrofit design.
· Work with Company customized software to develop an economic model of turnkey project which will include: energy savings, material cost, installation, utility rebates, return on investment, tax benefits, maintenance benefits, etc.
· Work with software programs to simulate and project light levels of post retrofit lighting conditions.
· Install of test fixtures and logging equipment when necessary.
· Oversee and manage installation of projects, including management of installers.
· Develop construction plans for projects. This includes scheduling, work plans, and drawings.
· During construction serve as the primary liaison between Customer, Contractors, Vendors and SmartWatt Energy.
· Conduct pre-installation site visits with contractors and clients.
· Verify and inspect material deliveries.
· Work with outside contractors to get multiple installation quotes for turnkey projects when necessary.
· Secure contractor documents (Inspection & Installation, Certificates, As-Built).
· Ensure adherence to job site safety protocols.
· Quality control for all installed equipment.
· Negotiate with contractors concerning changes in construction and scheduling.
· Effectively develop and manage a workforce as defined in the following four categories:
· Ensure weekly toolbox talks are completed properly by assigned workforce.
· Immediately address and correct any unsafe practices and document accordingly.
· Train new hires and continually train current staff on effective and safe work practices.
· Conduct safety site inspections on job sites.
· Manage, motivate and continuously improve the Electrical Division staff.
· Develop crews to work independently, while maintaining SmartWatt’s safety and quality standards.
· Partner with HR and upper management to facilitate employee reviews and disciplinary procedures. Complete all appropriate documentation.
· Provide immediate positive reinforcement and constructive criticism to employees when appropriate.
· Resolve staff scheduling issues.
· Review and approve weekly timesheets.
Inventory and Asset Management
· Ensure vehicles are cleaned and in proper operational order.
· Tool inventory awareness (properly checked in and out).
· Proactively manage and maintain inventory (i.e. wire nuts, junction box, etc.)
· Work with Project Engineer and Senior Leadership to understand scope of project and Project Install Requirements (PIR). PIR is electrical and mounting material, specialty tool and lift/ladder/scaffolding needs.
· Ensure all PIR is readily available and/or met.
· Ensure Foreman clearly understands the necessary daily tasks.
· Solve electrical issues.
· Monitor progress and quality control of project installations.
· Associates Degree, Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management or Engineering is preferred
· Electrical Journeyman certification is required.
· Strong written and oral communication skills for customer interaction and report writing.
· Ability to detect issues early and determine the best possible solution.
· Able to travel daily or as needed to project sites.
· Valid driver’s license and reliable automobile; Travel required with employee’s automobile.
· Preference given to candidates with:
- proven leadership experience
- Construction management/project management experience for a general contractor, electrical contractor, mechanical contractor or related field.
· 1 – 3 years of experience in the energy services or lighting industry preferred.
Talent and Skills
· Strong computer skills, especially in Microsoft Excel and Word
· Proven leadership skills
· A self-motivated and ambitious individual
· A person with a high sense of urgency and a pro-active approach to problem solving
· Professional presence
· High energy and action oriented