SMARTECH Employee Reviews

Good people, fair and honest
Field Tech/Onsite support (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78735April 28, 2017
Nothing bad to say they are all great people.
Management could take a bit more time with their contractors.
Payroll could use someone with experience.
Pros
You are your own boss
Cons
Sometimes the dispatchers try to low ball you a bit too much
Nice family vibe but everything is everywhere
Customer Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 27, 2017
This company needs several small offices in it's major areas that it covers. As a CSR, you have the ability to manage techs, assist in scheduling jobs/task, handle escalations, and deal with your everyday customer service needs but its way to unorganized. It also does not pay for it's staff in the office and its team on field. Some of the areas they cover have very little work and the work that is available is across a state or an area might have to much work and not enough techs. It might be great for students out of high school and college who are learning about the tech work but its not worth it for someone who has experience.
Pros
Family owned, regular business hours, and laid back office
Cons
low pay, unorganized, not enough techs
They worked off a phone
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJanuary 4, 2017
They were really lost as to the problems of the computers they wanted us to repair. It was script repair on computer that was flakey at best. Example
Computer not working send system board ( laptop )
From me I found that the cord was chewed through a simple replacement but of what I did not have.
Screen not coming on yet computer comes on sent screen and system board.
From me it was memory gone or hard drive but not sent repair failed.

They also failed to pay time and experience.
work place
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 26, 2016
Independent supervision, worked on all kinds of computer systems met many customers on each on site job.. Drove around the Houston area to get to all kinds of different onsite jobs
Pros
limited supervision
Cons
parts pickups
Smartech is disorganized, pay is too little for the job.
Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  USASeptember 12, 2016
Working for Smartech, a typical day starts out with an email at about 6am stating the number of calls you have in your "tank" (basically a list of calls assigned to you). this is most likely inaccurate because CSRs or call managers don't assign calls to you until about 9:30am CST and then you are required to either accept or reject calls by the 9:30am CST (not enough time if you ask me). You are working as a contractor, so as such, you have a contract. your contract will layout your job duties like any other job, but most importantly how much you are being compensated per call. starting out it looks something like this 0-20 mile pays $18, 21-40 miles pays $28, 41-60 miles pays $38 after 60 miles your fee is negotiable (pretty much follow the same pattern if you expect to "negotiate"). all calls are assigned to you at your base rate, in this example that is $18. any calls that you need upcharges for need to be rejected, but you can only reject calls for an upcharge after you have contacted the customer and set an appointment. The rejection process is completely screwed. when you reject a call either it just appears back in your "tank" or it doesn't, but that makes it very difficult to keep your appointment with a customer if you haven't gotten the call back into your tank yet... You are required to plan your day out including the route you are driving and the quantity of calls that you are able to get to that day making your first stop FedEx to pick up parts. You are paid based on the mileage from call to call (understand you are not paid mileage as in $0.XX per mile but rather  more... what is in your contract). Those rates may sound decent, but consider that you are not paid for things like gas, wear and tear on your vehicle, or printer/ ink.  less
Pros
Dell certifications, experience working with computers
Cons
Poor compensation, Poor management.
Free to be my own supervisor!
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa and surrounding areas, OKJune 13, 2016
I worked with this employer for just over half a year before leaving for a possible better job opportunity. The job consisted of me doing field repair work for Dell computers under warranty as an independent contractor.

My day-to-day consisted of logging into a web portal form home every morning and checking what work I was given, I was free to accept or reject jobs as I saw fit and contact the end users to schedule the repairs with them and plan my route. I then drove my personal vehicle to a package depot to pick up the parts sent out for those jobs and travel to those locations and do the repairs. After the repair is complete I call in to the dispatcher leaving them the information to close out the warranty repair request. At the end of the day I returned the failed parts to the depot and go home.

The job was alright, as I was independent and free to work my own hours, which was great for work and life balance, the pay was decent though I should have negotiated for more. I really enjoyed being able to drive and see so many places though I did have to do so with my own car. Generally customers were very receptive and glad to have their computers fixed but like any position there is the occasional sour one.

Also, having to pay up my own taxes come tax season, not the best thing in the world either.

Overall, I did enjoy the experience, and if I could be offered substantially more pay than I got when I was there, I'd probably go back, even with the downsides.
Pros
Self-managed, working out of home, fairly stress-free
Cons
Being your own employer, paying your own taxes, no health benefits
Met many interesting people
Computer repair technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 10, 2016
A typical day included setting up appointments for customers throughout the day, picking up parts, going to the different locations and installing the parts. Did not learn much, only ever one coworker in person never the manager or recruiter. Hardest part of the job was finding a parking spot at busy locations such as hospitals, and tracking down the person, along with finding the proper room in vast buildings. The most enjoyable was that if you're quick at a computer teardown and rebuild, the day flies right by and have an entire day of service calls finished by 2.
Pros
On your own, easy work, great pay
Cons
No company vehicle, some locations far away with no extra pay, bring your own tools
Inefficient, sometimes negligent.
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  NVApril 20, 2016
They treat field techs like single serving ketchup packets. Once your energy has been all used up they post another job opening and replace you without any warning or negotiation. Rate is not actual due to many hours of unpaid administrative work.
Pros
No supervision.
Cons
Poor communication. Below average pay. Zero job security.
Pay and Management is horrible
Dell Hardware Technician (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYApril 4, 2016
Good job if you don't have bills to pay, you spend more money on gas and your vehicle than you will make. Management doesn't have clue and was told they don't care about their techs.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Management & Pay
very cheap company, daily battle for rates
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 27, 2016
For the 1st couple of weeks it will be ok. But once you realize what you are getting paid for and how much it is costing you to do it, you will see.

Constant battle daily over how much to get paid.

Does not pay for jobs until they get paid.

** Keep your work orders and a list of what was paid and what was not-------- you are going to need it **

*** They will not answer the phone- by the 3rd day you will see, and if you want something from them- once again Good Luck ***
Pros
hands on
Cons
daily battle over pay scale, weekly battle over projects not compensated for, does not answer the phone
It's like volunteer work; gain experience, not money
Field Technician (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  San DiegoFebruary 12, 2016
I met some great people and gained some current experience while working for this company. Those are the only good things.

Imagine a slaughterhouse; cattle come off of the trucks and they see other cattle eating, socializing, etc. and they think, "well okay, how bad could it be?" Eventually they get funneled into a dark room. The entrance is blocked and there is an eerie silence...

I was told by the hiring manager I would be traveling to different sites to repair computers at a rate of XX.xx per hour and that I would be working at least seven hours a day.

The reality is that I was paid per repair, not per hour. I did work 6 to seven hours a day, but only could fit three repairs into a day. I'll explain:

The day started with checking into their system online and accepting or rejecting the jobs in the hopper. Then I would have to plan my route for the day and make entries into the ticketing system regarding my e.t.a. for each site, what contact has been made with client, etc.

The route always began with my leaving the house and going to the depot for the day's parts. This is rarely done before 10 am. Then I'm off to the first site, which takes anywhere from 10 minutes to 25 minutes, traffic willing. Assuming that everything went smoothly (the client was at the site, no security clearance was needed, there was an adequate work area ready, the parts were correct and complete, and the repair was successful) then I might be leaving the site around 11:30-12:00noon.

Now at this point I could either take 10 to 20 minutes to update the ticket in the system
  more... and call the next site to confirm or leave the ticket until the end of the day. Either way each job requires another 20 minutes of farting around with their antiquated and chaotic ticketing system.

Maybe I arrive at the next site by 12:30-12:45 (if the client isn't out to lunch) and then (assuming, again, that everything goes like clockwork) leave there by 1:30-1:45pm. Arrive at third site by 2pm if I'm lucky (no traffic, etc.) and then out of there by 3:00 (if all is well). After 3pm, at least here in San Diego, the freeways begin to flood with daily traffic adding time and cost of gas into the (already skimpy) profit equation. So the day is usually over by three or four. After 4 pm, since many of the clients are places of business, you'll be dealing with employees that want to go home, owners that need to close up shop and schedule conflicts in general.

IF everything goes smoothly, that's a realistic day. 50% of the time, things do not go smoothly. Anything and everything can go wrong. Wrong parts were shipped, client failed to inform us that we need security clearance, client doesn't answer the door, bad traffic, job requires more than one hour to complete...etc.

THEN they drop the bomb and tell you that you have to start documenting everything in a SECOND, equally antiquated ticketing system. You see, you work for Smartech. They work for another company, and that company works for ANOTHER company. Two of the three companies in this chain have their own proprietary ticket systems which are incompatible with each other so you have to master both of them. This adds another 20 minutes per repair.

Now, remember you don't get mileage and wear and tear compensation. You don't have benefits, you drive your own car, you get XX amount per REPAIR.

You'll probably be skipping lunch, because you can't afford it. And you'll probably be moving somewhere where the rent is MUCH cheaper. If you have a car payment, cable bill, electricity bill, gas bill and no other income...forget it.
Pros
hands on experience
Cons
If youre lucky, it won't COST you money to work here. you make $0
Compensation is not good and there are ZERO benefits.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 31, 2016
Pay is based on your travel to a site and if traveling 100 miles--you may only get compensated $65 at the most and the project can include replacing a motherboard and that takes time. You do NOT get paid for mileage (or travel) and tolls are not reimbursed. Flat fee; however, you can negotiate the fee if it is not to your liking.
Pros
Travel and little supervision.
Cons
money, travel, pressure to close calls, having to negotiate a fair rate for the job, confusion, irate customers
Great experience
Dell Certified Contractor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 30, 2015
The only thing I can say good about this job was the experience. Since you are doing overflow work for another company, you never know if you would even have work. Then again you may have too much work that they expect you to finish in one day. Which could be possible if you didn't have to drive to the customers if you can get in touch with them. The pay is also not worth it. I was doing huge server repairs and still get the base pay as if I was working on a laptop or something similar. You have to negotiate your rate when your miles are over 25 and they don't want to pay you your negotiated rate most of the time. 25 miles does not equate to 25 minutes when you are in a huge metropolitan city and they haven't grasped that concept yet.
Pros
Own boss, experience gained
Cons
everything else
productive
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 17, 2015
Independent contract work, worked with less supervision
Allowed for employee to set up there own times and delivers with customers
most enjoyable part of the job was the freedom to do our work and not have heavy supervioison
Apply here only if you have nothing better to do with your time
field service tech (Former Employee) –  CenlaSeptember 7, 2015
not alot of jobs in the Alexandria area. Management is incompetent. By the time you finish driving ALL over the state of LA, and you put gas in your car, you have just paid the company to work for them. No company vehicle or gas reimbursement for contractors.
Pros
There is a lot of free time and you make your own schedule.
Cons
You are paid per completed ticket and the tickets in the Cenla area are scarce
Loved working independently and then seeing the "guys" at the end of the day.
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Pt Pleasant, NJAugust 24, 2015
This company was opened up by a good friend of mine and I learned quite a bit training with him. Also had the chance to train others as well. Received certifications and special training which opened my up my scope.
If you want to work for nearly free
contractor (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 2, 2015
I'm currently working here but will not be starting next week. No choice, you will starve working as a CONTRACTOR for this company.

They pay $19 for calls up to 20 miles away. While they rate each call as averaging 30-45 mins, the reality is that you'll spend way more time on the call, traveling, paying for your own gas, insurance, wear and tear of vehicle, paperwork, updating two online report systems per call, and having to talk to Dell on the phone when they send the wrong parts (and you don't get paid for that additional phone time!).

There is much more to this but I've said enough. By the time you have done your calls for the day, you find you are being paid less than minimum wage as a skilled tech. What???

Smartech is disconnected from reality when it comes to how they pay their contractors. If you want to get a little experience, try them out for a couple of weeks. I doubt you'd want to go beyond that.
Pros
Get some experience
Cons
Don't expect to be paid fairly.
Maximo expert
Consultant Techno Functional (Current Employee) –  tunisJune 28, 2015
As Maximo expert, my skills concern :
 BIRT Report development
 TADDM & ITIC Integration
 System Installation & Configuration
 System Cluster Configuration
 System Upgrading
 System Customizations (Custom JAVA classes & Jython)
 Application Packaging (Migration Manager & DBC files)
 System Integration (MIF: Integration Framework)
 Database experience (SQL Server, Oracle & DB2)
Great Company To Work For
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 12, 2015
They are a great company to work for. They offer decent pay with fair advancement. Would definitely recommend them for employment.
N/a
Violation Processer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 8, 2015
Smartech is a good company but they are connected with the city of chicago and when the city decides to cut off or take down street cameras we lose hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SMARTECH. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3