SMARTECH Employee Reviews in United States

It's like volunteer work; gain experience, not money
Field Technician (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  San DiegoFebruary 12, 2016
I met some great people and gained some current experience while working for this company. Those are the only good things.

Imagine a slaughterhouse; cattle come off of the trucks and they see other cattle eating, socializing, etc. and they think, "well okay, how bad could it be?" Eventually they get funneled into a dark room. The entrance is blocked and there is an eerie silence...

I was told by the hiring manager I would be traveling to different sites to repair computers at a rate of XX.xx per hour and that I would be working at least seven hours a day.

The reality is that I was paid per repair, not per hour. I did work 6 to seven hours a day, but only could fit three repairs into a day. I'll explain:

The day started with checking into their system online and accepting or rejecting the jobs in the hopper. Then I would have to plan my route for the day and make entries into the ticketing system regarding my e.t.a. for each site, what contact has been made with client, etc.

The route always began with my leaving the house and going to the depot for the day's parts. This is rarely done before 10 am. Then I'm off to the first site, which takes anywhere from 10 minutes to 25 minutes, traffic willing. Assuming that everything went smoothly (the client was at the site, no security clearance was needed, there was an adequate work area ready, the parts were correct and complete, and the repair was successful) then I might be leaving the site around 11:30-12:00noon.

Now at this point I could either take 10 to 20 minutes to update the ticket in the system
  more... and call the next site to confirm or leave the ticket until the end of the day. Either way each job requires another 20 minutes of farting around with their antiquated and chaotic ticketing system.

Maybe I arrive at the next site by 12:30-12:45 (if the client isn't out to lunch) and then (assuming, again, that everything goes like clockwork) leave there by 1:30-1:45pm. Arrive at third site by 2pm if I'm lucky (no traffic, etc.) and then out of there by 3:00 (if all is well). After 3pm, at least here in San Diego, the freeways begin to flood with daily traffic adding time and cost of gas into the (already skimpy) profit equation. So the day is usually over by three or four. After 4 pm, since many of the clients are places of business, you'll be dealing with employees that want to go home, owners that need to close up shop and schedule conflicts in general.

IF everything goes smoothly, that's a realistic day. 50% of the time, things do not go smoothly. Anything and everything can go wrong. Wrong parts were shipped, client failed to inform us that we need security clearance, client doesn't answer the door, bad traffic, job requires more than one hour to complete...etc.

THEN they drop the bomb and tell you that you have to start documenting everything in a SECOND, equally antiquated ticketing system. You see, you work for Smartech. They work for another company, and that company works for ANOTHER company. Two of the three companies in this chain have their own proprietary ticket systems which are incompatible with each other so you have to master both of them. This adds another 20 minutes per repair.

Now, remember you don't get mileage and wear and tear compensation. You don't have benefits, you drive your own car, you get XX amount per REPAIR.

You'll probably be skipping lunch, because you can't afford it. And you'll probably be moving somewhere where the rent is MUCH cheaper. If you have a car payment, cable bill, electricity bill, gas bill and no other income...forget it.
Pros
hands on experience
Cons
If youre lucky, it won't COST you money to work here. you make $0
Compensation is not good and there are ZERO benefits.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 31, 2016
Pay is based on your travel to a site and if traveling 100 miles--you may only get compensated $65 at the most and the project can include replacing a motherboard and that takes time. You do NOT get paid for mileage (or travel) and tolls are not reimbursed. Flat fee; however, you can negotiate the fee if it is not to your liking.
Pros
Travel and little supervision.
Cons
money, travel, pressure to close calls, having to negotiate a fair rate for the job, confusion, irate customers
Met many interesting people
Computer repair technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 10, 2016
A typical day included setting up appointments for customers throughout the day, picking up parts, going to the different locations and installing the parts. Did not learn much, only ever one coworker in person never the manager or recruiter. Hardest part of the job was finding a parking spot at busy locations such as hospitals, and tracking down the person, along with finding the proper room in vast buildings. The most enjoyable was that if you're quick at a computer teardown and rebuild, the day flies right by and have an entire day of service calls finished by 2.
Pros
On your own, easy work, great pay
Cons
No company vehicle, some locations far away with no extra pay, bring your own tools
very cheap company, daily battle for rates
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 27, 2016
For the 1st couple of weeks it will be ok. But once you realize what you are getting paid for and how much it is costing you to do it, you will see.

Constant battle daily over how much to get paid.

Does not pay for jobs until they get paid.

** Keep your work orders and a list of what was paid and what was not-------- you are going to need it **

*** They will not answer the phone- by the 3rd day you will see, and if you want something from them- once again Good Luck ***
Pros
hands on
Cons
daily battle over pay scale, weekly battle over projects not compensated for, does not answer the phone
Pay and Management is horrible
Dell Hardware Technician (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYApril 4, 2016
Good job if you don't have bills to pay, you spend more money on gas and your vehicle than you will make. Management doesn't have clue and was told they don't care about their techs.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Management & Pay
Great experience
Dell Certified Contractor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 30, 2015
The only thing I can say good about this job was the experience. Since you are doing overflow work for another company, you never know if you would even have work. Then again you may have too much work that they expect you to finish in one day. Which could be possible if you didn't have to drive to the customers if you can get in touch with them. The pay is also not worth it. I was doing huge server repairs and still get the base pay as if I was working on a laptop or something similar. You have to negotiate your rate when your miles are over 25 and they don't want to pay you your negotiated rate most of the time. 25 miles does not equate to 25 minutes when you are in a huge metropolitan city and they haven't grasped that concept yet.
Pros
Own boss, experience gained
Cons
everything else
Inefficient, sometimes negligent.
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  NVApril 20, 2016
They treat field techs like single serving ketchup packets. Once your energy has been all used up they post another job opening and replace you without any warning or negotiation. Rate is not actual due to many hours of unpaid administrative work.
Pros
No supervision.
Cons
Poor communication. Below average pay. Zero job security.
Apply here only if you have nothing better to do with your time
field service tech (Former Employee) –  CenlaSeptember 7, 2015
not alot of jobs in the Alexandria area. Management is incompetent. By the time you finish driving ALL over the state of LA, and you put gas in your car, you have just paid the company to work for them. No company vehicle or gas reimbursement for contractors.
Pros
There is a lot of free time and you make your own schedule.
Cons
You are paid per completed ticket and the tickets in the Cenla area are scarce
If you want to work for nearly free
contractor (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 2, 2015
I'm currently working here but will not be starting next week. No choice, you will starve working as a CONTRACTOR for this company.

They pay $19 for calls up to 20 miles away. While they rate each call as averaging 30-45 mins, the reality is that you'll spend way more time on the call, traveling, paying for your own gas, insurance, wear and tear of vehicle, paperwork, updating two online report systems per call, and having to talk to Dell on the phone when they send the wrong parts (and you don't get paid for that additional phone time!).

There is much more to this but I've said enough. By the time you have done your calls for the day, you find you are being paid less than minimum wage as a skilled tech. What???

Smartech is disconnected from reality when it comes to how they pay their contractors. If you want to get a little experience, try them out for a couple of weeks. I doubt you'd want to go beyond that.
Pros
Get some experience
Cons
Don't expect to be paid fairly.
Loved working independently and then seeing the "guys" at the end of the day.
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Pt Pleasant, NJAugust 24, 2015
This company was opened up by a good friend of mine and I learned quite a bit training with him. Also had the chance to train others as well. Received certifications and special training which opened my up my scope.
Good experiance work
Dell Computer Repair Technician (Current Employee) –  Pueblo, COApril 3, 2014
This is a contractor type job and is not very steady work but i do enjoy replacing computer hardware. My manager is located in Texas so I've never actually had any physical interaction with the company.
There is however no benefits and no room to grow.
Pros
fun work
Cons
no benifits
productive
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 17, 2015
Independent contract work, worked with less supervision
Allowed for employee to set up there own times and delivers with customers
most enjoyable part of the job was the freedom to do our work and not have heavy supervioison
Maximo expert
Consultant Techno Functional (Current Employee) –  tunisJune 28, 2015
As Maximo expert, my skills concern :
 BIRT Report development
 TADDM & ITIC Integration
 System Installation & Configuration
 System Cluster Configuration
 System Upgrading
 System Customizations (Custom JAVA classes & Jython)
 Application Packaging (Migration Manager & DBC files)
 System Integration (MIF: Integration Framework)
 Database experience (SQL Server, Oracle & DB2)
Great Company To Work For
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 12, 2015
They are a great company to work for. They offer decent pay with fair advancement. Would definitely recommend them for employment.
Horrible place to work.
Dell Field Service technician (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 11, 2015
You are expected to work from 7am to 6pm. The rates for miles traveled for a job barely covers gas in your vehicle, let alone the maintenance on your car, the ink and paper for printing paperwork, and for paying for overages on your cell phone plan. They don't provide a company car or company cell phone to conduct the job with.

You can never get a hold of your dispatcher or HR Personnel because they are in a different state and different time zone.
most interesting day of work i have ever had
Flight Simulator Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottumwa, IAJune 13, 2013
I got hired by a company posting on Craigslist on behalf of redbird flight simulators. The job was to work as an assembly tech under the supervision of a lead tech working for redbird. the job took 8.5 hours but we ended up staying there a LOT longer due to a blizzard. the actual job was pretty straightforward and fun, it was the assembly of a full motion flight simulator for a local community college. working as a crew of 3 we unloaded the parts from the penske truck, layed them out, then began assembly according to the directions given by the lead tech, this included the mechanical and electrical components of the machine and it all went together very smoothly. the snow had been picking up all day, and by the time we were done and on our way out it had gotten really bad. we got stuck in the parkinglot and had to stay overnight at the college.
Pros
really cool job
Cons
there was a blizzard
N/a
Violation Processer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 8, 2015
Smartech is a good company but they are connected with the city of chicago and when the city decides to cut off or take down street cameras we lose hours
Low low pay
Tech contractor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMarch 3, 2014
This is a review only as a tech contractor for this company. As a contractor, payment doesn't make sense from an expense point of view.

You drive your own vehicle and you cover gas and other expenses plus all your time driving (hope you don't get caught in traffic) and receive $18 per completed service call up to 20 miles away before 1099 taxes?

Consulting other techs, they agreed this pay was substandard in the industry.. They also concluded that Smart tech must be making the majority of the money on these calls while the contractor does the hard work. The payment Smarttech would receive on each service call would be far higher per service call amount.

So, what are you really making after you take all the associated travel expenses and additional unpaid time out? what, $10 an hour? Less?

Just thought I would put this out there because Smarttech Doesn't Advertises what it pays contractors. They leave this to the end of the discussion. Hope this helps someone else out before they bother talking with them. I've since switched companies and am making the $30+ per service call which is more appropriate in this position.
Pros
na
Cons
payment to contractors barely enough to cover expenses
Customer focused solutions for IT customers
Senior Consultant, Owner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 12, 2014
Smartek is the perfect company for customers looking to address the bottom line to their problems.

There methodology is perfect for the rapidly changing internet ecosystem.
Pros
highly centered on solving customer problems, team oriented, friendly
Cons
n/a
Not much work.
Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 7, 2014
I have never had any personal human contact with anyone in the company. They send me one or two jobs a day if I'm lucky. I'm not complaining though, I like it so far, when there's actually work to be done. Communication is sometimes an issue because it's all done through e-mail.
Pros
work at your own pace.
Cons
your working at your own pace because there aren't enough jobs for each day.