SmartStyle Employee Reviews

Okay place to work
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNFebruary 15, 2017
Management could be better.
Learned how to deal with unhappy people in a mature manner.
The hardest part of the job was unhappy clients.
The most enjoyable part of the job was making people feel good about themselves.
There really wasn't a typical work day. It was always very different. Mostly just busy. No time for sitting.
Pros
Good Money if you're willing to work
Cons
Short Breaks, Bad Management
Good people to work for its just...
COSMETOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCFebruary 14, 2017
Whenever you are coming out of cosmetology school it is a good place to gain experience. However the clientele also expect someone to cut hair like john freida when their straight out of school for $10
A great atmosphere to work and grow, both socially and in skill development. I was not satisfied with the wages at SmartStyle. There is much work and
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Blairsville, GA.February 12, 2017
I love working and helping people to feel good about themselves. Walmart is an excellent place to work but SmartStyle requires alot for little pay. Minimum wage is ridiculous for a master cosmetologist.
Good place to get salon experience
Stylist / Sales (Former Employee) –  Azle, TXFebruary 12, 2017
Great place for someone to work straight out of school to get the working experience. The manger was nice and very knowledgeable about the business.
Pros
Good mangement
Cons
Poor compensation to employees
Great place
Stylist/ acting manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, NCFebruary 9, 2017
Great place to work with awesome management! The staff was also great! Great place to build clientele and build yourself to move up within the company!
Loved the job
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Ridge, MTFebruary 6, 2017
I loved working there. the clients were great. The manager at the time was not so helpful. We had a different way of cutting or styling hair and was always told how to do it their way.
great team of girls
Customer Service Associate/ hairstylist (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 3, 2017
I loved the girls that I worked with. I enjoyed meeting new people everyday. I don't think I got paid well for the work that I did. They didn't have any benefits.
working at smart style
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 30, 2017
smart style was once noted for the hair dresser to make good money fast. now the hours have been cut so you don't have the time to be in the shop so your clients can find you.
Fun place to work w/ good advancements
Designer (Former Employee) –  Milford, PAJanuary 29, 2017
Smart Styles is not a bad place to work at. As long as you have a great Manager who can guide you and help make the salon a good environment! If not...then working there can be very difficult.
Pros
Great chances for educational classes
Cons
They discount hair services and it comes out of your productivity...not theres.
ok
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2017
Great job for hairdressers who do not care about customer service and want to make a quick buck. 30 minute break, you better be prepared to do the quickest haircuts of your life. Great if you need to pick up your speed on things, terrible for developing a relationship with any client.
Was told in order to make money, I would need to do the 5 minute hair cuts.
Family salon
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Tan Valley, AZJanuary 15, 2017
I worked with this company for many years. I worked my way up from stylist to manager. The parent company of SmartStyle is Regis Corp. and during the last few months of my employment there, many changes were happening rapidly. In my opinion most of them were not in the best interests of the employees.
It once was a great place to work. We had great educational experiences and our ability to work well with each other made it more like working with family. Our clients were a lot of fun and they enjoyed coming into the salon to see us.
As a salon manager I truly enjoyed being able to hire some excellent staff members and provide a fun and welcoming atmosphere for them to work in. It was often difficult in the beginning as I was the person who first opened this location and it was tricky finding enough people to staff the salon at first. I had to learn to work 10 - 12 hours a day for several weeks, with very few breaks. I learned that proper advertisement for employees is so important when you're starting up a new business location.
Pros
Room for advancement
Cons
unrealistic expectations
Decent pay, limited stock due to late ordering
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Pryor, OKJanuary 15, 2017
The pay was decent. I wish they had mats to stand on by the stylist chairs because my feet hurt at the end of the day after standing on tile. Sometimes the management was bad about reordering color and supplies for weeks on end and that made it very difficult to do my job at times.
Pros
Good insurance, decent pay
Cons
No mats by stylist chairs, limited hair color and other supplies at times
I enjoy those who I work with besides the occasional drama.
Cosmetologist/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Cocoa, FLJanuary 13, 2017
I enjoy my clients at least the not so rude pushy ones. I make the most of my job or what I can at times their is unnecessary drama either between coworkers or their outside life that they tend to bring in the work place.
Pros
Discount products and free services for ourselves and prizes every once and a blue moon
Cons
No manager and the benefits and pay aren't the best
fun workplace because i did what i loved doing, hair
Hair stylist (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCJanuary 10, 2017
a very nice environment, fast paced so you had to learn quick and be efficient in styling and satisfying the customers needs and wants
Pros
creativity
Fun place to work
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Benton, ILJanuary 6, 2017
Smart Style was a great place for me to build up clients and also help build my speed and knowledge of hair. I learned how to handle clients appropriately. I enjoy my coworkers and loved being in an upbeat environment.
Pros
Dont have to pay for products (color and backbar)
Cons
Hours
management was great
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Denver, NCJanuary 6, 2017
I liked the manager there now. She really worked with me on somethings that I needed help in. And she mad it feel more then just a job.
fun place
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  West Memphis, AR 72301January 5, 2017
great time working with the team of ladies that was there during my employment. learned and gained a lot of confidence while employeed with this company. Great place to work
Pros
being located inside wal mart
Cons
being located inside wal mart
Horrible management
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Lindon, UTDecember 30, 2016
The had the worst customer service and management didn't know how to speak to her employees and would wine about her job durning business hours. Worst experience
Pros
Cons
Will never understand health issues
packer and order puller
Hair stylist (Former Employee) –  West Memphis, ARDecember 28, 2016
My typical day at smart style was productive. we made people feel beautiful . I styled people hair. but the people I worker with was very helpful when teacher me. over all it was a pleasing job.
First job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GADecember 21, 2016
They hired me right out of school and continued to train me. I didn't really enjoy working here because it was never really busy so I didn't make much money other then my paycheck.
Pros
Nice location
Cons
It was never really busy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SmartStyle. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7