SmartStyle Employee Reviews

Great to start, but not for long term.
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Hanover, PANovember 13, 2017
This is a job that's great for someone fresh out of school. You get the experience you need to advance your skills in a fast-paced environment and learn how to handle customers. With the recent changes from corporate, however, it is not a good long-term option. Making commission is difficult, so you're stuck at minimum wage unless you've been there for years with a heavy following. Upper management and management place unrealistic expectations on stylists and make them feel like it's their fault that numbers are low on slow nights. They are told to market themselves, work the lease line, etc. You can bring a horse to water, but you cant make it drink. They got rid of the stylist of the month recognition program and dont do anything to make things fun. The "uniform" is black everything. Oh, you can accessorize with color, but dressing like youre going to a funeral everyday gets old after so long..... My closet is nothing but black and it gets difficult to find things to wear any other day..... The build up to actually being on commission and almost jumping to the next commission level, then the subsequent let down when they dropped their prices at the expense of their stylists has killed my passion for this company. They even got rid of their hands-on education program in exchange for video/iPad education. Nothing beats hands on..... Anything to save a buck, I guess.....
Pros
Steady walk-in traffic
Cons
Low pay, expensive medical benefits, poor performing stylists are kept damaging salon's reputation
New Stylist
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, NCNovember 13, 2017
Good for stylist who just got out of hair school. If you are experience and looking to make a lot of money this is not the place for you. However I would recommend for new stylist to help with them building their clientele.
Great place for beginners
Hairstylist/Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WANovember 9, 2017
Excellent place for new licensed hairstylists to start out working. It's a great place to start building your clientele. The have an excellent training plan, DVD's, and in salon classes for employees to advance their skills.
Great first job
Hair Stylist/ Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MTNovember 9, 2017
If you are just starting out, and looking for a job this is a great company. If you are looking to grow as a cosmetologist, this is not a great long term job. The management I worked under was hostile and very unorganized.
Pros
After a year you get 5 days vacation
Cons
Poor management
Not the job for me.
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 8, 2017
The day at the salon was always slow.I was the only stylist who did color and braided also relaxers.My manager was not very reliable.and the hours were very inconsistent.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Everything Else
Bad management, unable to retain stylists
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Lisbon, CTNovember 8, 2017
This salon is constantly short staffed, unable to keep stylists due to poor management. Constantly made to feel small by management. Left to clean-up everyone's mess every night.
Good location
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Morris, ILNovember 7, 2017
I prefer consistent shifts not swing shifts. There was no rotation of weekend shifts. The staff would talk about other clients to their clients. SmartStyle provides CEU hours.
Pros
customers
Cons
co-workers would not cover your shift if you are sick so you have to work anyway
Fast paced
Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Elkin, NCNovember 7, 2017
Fast paced salon with a lot of potential, the company has a great basis if they would get back to the stylist matter just as much as the guest mentality as when i started with the company it would be perfect
Pros
Fast paced, walk in clientel, always something new
Cons
to many changes to quickly
they were under staff
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MONovember 6, 2017
Everyday they scheduled only one person to be there at a time, i continuously got cursed out because it was 10 chairs and only one worker there... they never tried to do better
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Maryville, MONovember 6, 2017
Manager was awesome; fun working environment; great clients. Loved it there but tore my bicep muscle and had to quit due to having surgery on it. Would go back in a heart beat if my shoulder would allow it!
smart style
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VANovember 5, 2017
I would come in around 9:45 am. Next, check my schedule of clients for the day.Then set up my salon appliances and products in which I will use for the day, and greet my fellow co workers.Once my client arrives I will engage in meaningful conversation to make them feel more comfortable and learn about their desired service and proceed to execute it. The hardest part about my day is to make sure every customer is satisfied even when their attitude isn't welcoming. The most enjoyable part about my job is turning their frown upside down and having them leave feeling more confident about themselves with their new hairstyle.
Each location is different
Assistant Mgr (Former Employee) –  Hazleton, PANovember 3, 2017
Its very hard to rate this company as each location is different each location has different management. What I remember its competitive and has a great clientele. The pay could be higher they are interested more about quantity not quality.
poor work environment
Barber Stylist (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 1, 2017
Poor management led to lack of staff and stressful situations with last minute schedule changes frequently. Schedules would be posted and then 2 days later you would get a text stating schedule changes. Also manager takes off weekends a lot even though short staffed, or she comes and leaves periodically.
Management and the employers
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALNovember 1, 2017
It was a learning in environment and Learning your products and getting to no your clients and learning different technique and styles and colors or just the basic trends.
Excellent for walk in clients
Manager (Former Employee) –  Peru, ILOctober 26, 2017
Loved my job . Smaller company but opportunities available . Great opportunity to grow as a stylist. I enjoyed the people I worked with . It was a fun atmosphere I made good tips . The big boss was nice
Pros
Product discount
Cons
Lots of competition
Had a very bad experience.
Hairstylist and Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 25, 2017
I think i had the worsr experience here at this job. Maybe it was the manager that had little experience byt overall it was okay. I will not say it was the best although.
Pros
Love my clients there.
Cons
Was close to shopping.
easy going work environment
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Rapid City, SDOctober 25, 2017
Sometimes slow can usually get in right away there are enough stylist and they are all good at hair and very easy to get along with. No benefits for all the hard work we put in.
Fast Paced
HAIR STYLIST (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVOctober 25, 2017
Its a great place to start off while building clientele but they don't let you make appointments, the management is very poor, you basically have to sign your soul over to Regis, the haircuts are cheap, I wouldn't recommend it if you have experience or want to have a personal life.
Great place to work for.
Beautician (Former Employee) –  Abbeville, LAOctober 25, 2017
Smartstyle was a fum an competive place to work. I got to learn how to interact with other workers and customers. I learned alot hands on an computer skills.
Fun, Relaxed and experimental
Hair Stylist Managerial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHOctober 16, 2017
Overall the job was enjoyable because I was doing what I went to school for and something I enjoy. It was challenging when I would get someone come in for a style that I have not done before but I overcame it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SmartStyle. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7