SmartStyle Employee Reviews in United States

Cosmetology industry is so up and down i would like a more steady place of employment
Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 11, 2016
My job as the manager of the salon as well as a on the floor stylist has had its good days and bad days. For the most part my paper work and meetings are done first thing in the morning a meeting or two over the phone twice a week with my district area. I learned a lot of my training for my position on my own I learn thing fast. My DL is great she made herself available to me as much as she could. My co workers were the ones that make my days good or bad me being the manager I had to take up the slack for people not coming in to work so i work a lot of open to close shifts.
Pros
I get a bonus monthly of waht the salon makes as a whole
Cons
No overtime pay for overtime hours work
loved the Job & Clients
Customer Service/ Hairdresser (Current Employee) –  Weatherford, TXJuly 10, 2016
I loved my day to day Job & the people I worked with & my clients,
I like to keep busy & this place provided that from sales to answering callas, taking messages, setting appointments, cleaning and stalking shelves, taking monthly & yearly inventor consultations making people fell wonderful. The hardest part was the constant change of rules such as dress code,time off, daily schedule would chang almost daily . when we could do each others hair changed with out notice the schedule I was promised became not so flexible , getting a day off was very hard to do, even when filling in at other stores providing my own equipment (that was supposed to be provided for us}.
Pros
free hair cuts & color
Cons
bad managment
Mixed feelings
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSJuly 8, 2016
A typical day is haircuts, and waxing. I got 4 chemical services In a 6 week time frame. I learned a lot from a fellow stylist and she helped me out a lot & is good mentor. She should be a manager but got overlook. I never had a interview, I got hired over the phone. I was never properly trained. I started out as a Stylist in training which is just a fancy title for receptionist. Corporate is very unprofessional. Our district leader did not know basic state laws or how to perform the job of a stylist. The turnover rate is very high. The pay is not enough, they make it to hard to make commission. Lack of continue education & training.
Great for Experience
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Marshall, TXJune 30, 2016
While cosmetology is a true passion, this job is to get you more comfortable with performing services on total strangers. Some days are extremely slow (which affects your commission tremendously), other days are steady, however it is rare that the compensation balances itself with such fluctuating customer traffic.This job isn't one I would recommend for long term. It will drain you and cause your passion for the field to dim a bit.
Pros
You're inside of Wal-Mart
Cons
Low compensation, poor working conditions, and poor management
Productive fun workplace in a great enviornment in which I am doing professional hair.
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 14, 2016
A typical day at work is usually fast-paced but goal-oriented. I have learned to have a lot of patience in this type of work. The management here is very detail-oriented they work with you and teach you more things than you can imagine. I get along well with all of my co-workers many of them often look to me for advice,words of encouragement as well as advice. The hardest part of my job would be maintaining/ keeping the salon organized and in order. The most enjoyable part of my job i must say is communicating with each and every customer as well as being able to genuinely provide the customers with remarkable experiences.
Pros
Doing a profession in which I love.
Cons
No benefits/Pay isn't enough
Productive and fun place to work and gain new friendships with clients
Hair stylist (Former Employee) –  Boaz, ALJune 27, 2016
I would come into work with a smile and would smile and greet everyone and assure my coworkers we were going to have a great night. I would clock in and do my side work before it got understocked and busy. I would greet my clients by making sure they were properly taken care of, after all my clients were taken care of I would help my coworkers when needed. Everyone I worked with got along without barely any drama and we were all a team. Even the management had their days of being awesome.We answered phone calls and wrote down appointments for colors, cuts, waxes, any beauty service that was possible.
Pros
doig each others hair for free or discounted price
Cons
Having to cover other shifts that was still allowed a job there :(
I enjoyed working with the public and making them feel beautiful
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 5, 2016
I worked very hard at smartstyles i even received an award for selling the most paul mitchel products one month.. i loved the samples we received and i enjoyed learning new things from my co workers
Pros
the hours were good and the environment overall was great
Cons
i wasnt able to work on clients when i was having to set up the salon appropriately
Productive and overall enjoyable work place.
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Oneida, NYJune 2, 2016
I enjoy Cosmetology and have had the experience in teaching others skills and at SmartStyle I actually taught other Beauticians ideas in selling products and one of the ladies which was assistant Manager picked up on it, and started selling products better.and we both got our quotas in at a quick rate. I feel that they should have recognized that and kept me there but there was an issue in too many slow downs to keep all Beautician on all the time.
Pros
selling and satisfying customers is enjoyable and teaching others.
Cons
During my employment the con was having a moody expecting Supervisor.
great place to work
stylist (Former Employee) –  Berryville, ARJuly 18, 2016
I enjoyed it, but I couldn't continue with my schedule. It is a good thing to have an hourly pay while you are starting out in the cosmetology business, but once you get a good customer base, there isn't a really great compensation package available for busy stylists with regular customers.
Pros
Heavy traffic, good to build a customer base
Cons
no real chance for good commission
Something new everyday
Provided Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMay 15, 2016
Everyday is a new day. Appointments begin that day, so you have to think on your feet, and schedule appropriately. The hardest part is multitasking, especially if you work by yourself. The phones need to be answered, clients that at the counter need to be helped, product sales need to be rung out, all the while you are servicing your customer.
Pros
Tips, meet nice people, always new
Cons
can overbook yourself very easy, dealing with picky clients
Great for Experience
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Acworth, GAMay 18, 2016
Smartstyles is the best salon if you're a new hairstylist with little to no clientele. The salon helps build your momentum and you gain so much product knowledge and experience. At smartstyles you perform almost every service which can be a good thing because you;re gaining that experience. However, the pay SUCKS!! minimum wage for all the work you will do.. no commission unless you make $1894 for hair services in a two week period. They don't even give you commission on retail! Horrible!! AND THE MANAGEMENT DON'T CARE!!! I'VE SEEN SO MANY PEOPLE, STYLIST AND MANAGERS, LEAVE BECAUSE THERE AREN'T ANY FINANCIAL BENEFITS! I say work here to gain the knowledge and experience but DO NOT STAY FOREVER.
Pros
Experience, Product Knowledge
Cons
Pay Sucks, Management Sucks
Poor scheduling requirements
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAJune 7, 2016
Busy days. Poor management was the hardest part of the job but the best part of the job was working with the public. It was also rough working with others who didn't want to work. Learned that even though others are not always doing their best it is still important for me to do my best
Pros
Working with the public and different people
Cons
Poor scheduling and management
Productive and fun environment!
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXMay 27, 2016
My typical day at work is awesome! My busiest days are usually Thursday-Sunday. The environment is positive! I love that it is busy, because it makes the time fly by! My co-workers are awesome! The hardest part of the job is when it is a slow day. The reason being is because I strive to be on commission. The most enjoyable part of my job is my clients! They make me love my job!
Does not pay enough to the employees for the education they have
District Leader for D350/Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenville, ALApril 19, 2016
Usually it is a good day at work however, in this field you never know what you will make because of the flow of clients each day. You learn a lot from the other hairstylist. Being manager you can not do enough for the company. The more you do the more they want. It just isn't worth it for the money. You have your degree and then McDonald's cashiers make more an hour then you do and you have a degree.
The co-workers are excellent they feel the same way. The hardest part of the job is standing on your feet 8 to 10 hours a day. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the smile on your clients face when that hairstyle is just what she needed.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Pay
Slow paste environment, semi flexible
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Hernando, MSApril 24, 2016
overall the company has great learning tools to enhance you skills as far as cutting and coloring hair. Not very flexible when they aren't fully staffed. Health coverage was not that great. But its a great company to begin with as far as being new to the cosmetology world.
Pros
free samples, discount on services and products
Cons
long hours, health coverage, rate of pay
Great place to start right out of beauty school
Beautician (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCAugust 1, 2016
This company is a good place to start right after you graduate beauty school. It gets you to learn the basics and gets you ready for the world of hair. It doesn't have any advancement to help you go out on your own.
Pros
You got to learn new color, cutting techniques
Cons
Management was bulling
Not Terrible
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAApril 19, 2016
I worked at Smart Style for a little less than a year. It's a great salon to work at for someone who is just starting out in Cosmetology. It's nice because even if you don't have clientele yet you can still have customers. What I didn't like about it was that it wasn't ever very busy. Also the management was not always clear on what was expected of employees other than taking care of customers.
A VERY high turnover.
Salon Manager / Stylist (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COJuly 24, 2016
Great company to start out your career in, however it has alot of instability from the district level down. I stayed with the company for 6 years and it was just time to make a change
Pros
great money and people
Cons
very inexperienced management and an owner that had never worked in the industry
Stylist/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 6, 2016
I love working there. The manager I came in under was great. She had no problem with helping me when I needed it. She is also a great teacher, teaching the shorter, faster and more accurate ways to do styles and cuts. The new management is very childish. Not a huge fan. The customers and co-workers makes up for the lack of respect the new management have.
Pros
Customers
A place to start
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLAugust 17, 2016
If you are looking for a place to start your career in hair, I would recommend this company. They expect a lot of you and will make you work 40+ hours a week. But you learn a lot. Stick with it until you get your skills established. Then fly far away! You are worth much more!!

2.7