SMARTSTYLE

SMARTSTYLE Employee Reviews

Not worth the drive
HAIRSTYLIST (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 17, 2015
The salon offers great classes and training, but the workplace is terrible. They don't offer benefits or set schedules. The turnover rate is high, they also only pay commission, or minimum wage, and the salon isn't busy enough to get commission.
Nice place to work
Customer Service/Regis (Former Employee), Dacula, Ga.March 10, 2015
Nice place to work, not very good for advancement and the pay is not good to support yourself. the Management was good and some co-workers are nice. The hardest part of working there was opening and closing and doing the managers job for her. Most enjoyable part was working with people.
great team
Stylist/Colorist (Former Employee), Clearfield, PAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: happy clients
Cons: sometimes understaffed because it got so busy
Loved my manager and co-workers they were like my family and we worked fantastic together. No tension and if there was a disagreement you took care of it and it was over. It didnt happen very often. When clients can in they felt comfortable and welcome.
i enjoyed this company
Manager/Stylist (Former Employee), Altus, OKMarch 1, 2015
A typical day at work was fun and creative. Dealing with the public that there is a solution. being a leader you have to lead by example. I enjoyed the creative part and just making my customer happy
productive fun place to work cutting hair
Manager / Hairstylist (Former Employee), Ennis, TXFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: enjoyed working with the public
Cons: no health insurance
attended to clients, managed 6 employees, some days work on weekly schedule, and ordered and received invetory. made sure shop ran smoothly
Great place to go straigh out of beauty school
Hairstylist (Current Employee), casper wyFebruary 17, 2015
Going to a salon that had stylists with years of experience was the best thing I could have done after beauty school. The women in there taught me how to do things that I didn't know. They also taught me how to do the things I knew in new and more effective ways. They helped me during haircuts if I needed help on how to get it to blend. being around them made me into a better hairstylist.
Great starter
Hairstylist (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALFebruary 1, 2015
Great starter location and the hours were very nice the atmosphere is inside walmart so it was safe and secure. Walmart had traffic so it had a lot of potential to make money and that was great.
Just not for me
Hairdresser (Former Employee), South Lyon, MIJanuary 27, 2015
This was my first job out of beauty school. I was often left alone in the store which was hard for me. The wasn't really much management. It was very hard to work here because I was by myself with not much guidance
Good First time job
Salon Manager (Former Employee), Vineland, NJJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: easy, gain experience
Cons: compensation, location, upper management, schedule, benefits
Smartstyle is inside walmarts. its ok. it was busy at first but then it slowed down to a hault. I was made to work long 8 hour shifts by myself because they didnt want to hire anymore people. I worked a lot of overtime and became exhausted. the benefits arent that good and the compensation sucks. only 38% commission to start. considering how slow it is, you wont make much. i didnt like how it was in walmart either. i love walmart but customers and most people dont believe a stylist working in a hair salon in walmart can do a good job. i felt i always had to prove myself. I didnt like being judged. i also didnt like the shopping carts being brought in constantly. it was a very stressful time for me at this job but i was a manager. as a stylist it wasnt too bad.

it is a good job to have right after school to gain experience.
Fun place to work, heavy traffic flow. Loved all my clients.
Stylist (Former Employee), Roanoke, TXJanuary 9, 2015
Stylist - offering cosmetology services as outlined by TDLR.
Very fun to work
Stylist (Former Employee), Beaver Falls, PANovember 29, 2014
Pros: training, enviroment
Cons: hard to build up clientelle
Great place, offers a lot of furthering education and training. Great people, you will learn a lot.
not a good place to work
Stylist (Former Employee), Searcy, ARNovember 23, 2014
Pros: discount on products
Cons: pay! no advancement, hours
Worked at smartstyle a couple years. Not much opportunity to advance. The company is all about money. And all you are to them is a number. All they care about is you make money for them. They make commission sound like a great thing but when it comes down to it your not making very much. And you have to work your hind end off to even get to 50 percent commission!! The hours are ridiculous and its hard to have a social life outside of work!!!
I'd make this a last resort in desperation for a job! Just saying! I hated going to work everyday because I knew I'd work my butt off for very little!
fun enviroment
Hair Stylist/Receptionist (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCNovember 15, 2014
Pros: discount on products
A typical day at work consists of clipper cutting, hair coloring, restocking shelves
ok place to start, but definitely not long term.
cosmetologist (Former Employee), Ottumwa, IowaNovember 1, 2014
Pros: i got to do hair..
Cons: low pay, required weekends, high turnover, terrible clients with loaction. the list goes on and on
I began at smart style in 2011, it was ok.. but over time things just kept changing, my salon went through 5 district leaders in two years. Nothing we ever did was right even though we met all goals given to us. With this company it all comes down to money and they dont care about their stylists as long as the money is coming in. Ridiculous hours, no life outside of work.. work every weekend (friday saturday and sunday required).. this company is hands down the worst company I have ever worked for.
was a very slow store
Manager (Former Employee), Columbia, SCOctober 8, 2014
Pros: customers
Cons: slow
although in the beginning all was awesome. then changes with upper management changed and all that was promised was taken back.
Fun Environment
Hairstylist (Former Employee), Ottumwa, IASeptember 19, 2014
Great co workers. Good location. Lots of traffic to the salon and potential is there!
Fun and stable
Hair Stylist / Receptionist (Former Employee), Apache Junction, AZ and Pueblo, COSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: keep all your own tips. do what you love.
Cons: standing on your feet all day.
Smartstyle is owned by Regis brand corporation. Fun place to work. Stable as in if you don't make commission you will always at least make minimum wage.
good place to work when manager was not there
Stylist (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLSeptember 5, 2014
I was pregnant the majority of the time i worked her and the manager was not considerate of my pregnancy. the manager complained when i had to go to the bathroom a lot and said it had counted as my 15 minute break. the other stylist were great to work with but it was not a super fun place to work at times.
Awesome Place to Work
STYLIST (Former Employee), Hays KSSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: doing just hair
Cons: doing just hair
I loved the fast pace of being in a salon. Mostly walk-ins but we also were able to fit our own clientele in once we earned them.
Very productive fun job
Hairstylist (Former Employee), Mount Vernon, ILAugust 25, 2014
Pros: good job
Cons: terrible payscale
Good job . Payscale changed to make it harder to support my family.

1 2 3 4

About SMARTSTYLE

Regis is hair, there, and everywhere. The world's biggest hair salon company, Regis owns, franchises, or holds a stake in some – Read more

SMARTSTYLE Salaries