SmartStyle Employee Reviews in United States

Loved it
Manager (Former Employee) –  Republic, MOApril 15, 2016
Loved working here and enjoyed the clientele. Would still be there if it hadn't been for my kids wanting to move back home. Would recommend it to any new stylist.
Poor Leadership/ District Leader
Stylist/Manager (Former Employee) –  Fargo NDApril 14, 2016
High turnover of stylist and salon managers. it is so true "people dont leave companies, People Leave Management! Regis Corp should call the employee's/ managers that left this district in the last year and ask them why they left!!! Our area District Leader not care about staff, never there to help when your short staffed, They have a a push for " retain employee's", but with this District Leader, Retaining Employee's is not heard of. Empty Promises, lies and deceit from the District Leader. When needed help as everyone else had left to work at other salons, The District Leader would NOT help out. claimed had to be at another city to work, which btw was a lie as you are able to see the sales from all the stores in the district,and guess what? The District Leader lied, that salon was NOT open that saturday, When put in notice, she didnt ask why, she didnt seem to care, the only thing she said thru a txt message was K. Really? This particular district has had a very high turn over with stylists and management! In the last year, around 8- 9 stylist and managers have LEFT because of the District Leader!! Can you say Red Flags? Not Appreciated or thanked for doing a great job, It was always you need to do this, that and the other, It was NEVER amazing job! Never helped find employee's to hire UNTIL you put in your notice and wala, she pulls an employee out of her hat to come to work.You could ask and ask for help and didnt get it, then when there is no one to work there, everyone puts in their notice, the District Leader magically finds employees, Seriously? You couldnt do that  more... before someone leaves?!! I wouldnt recommend anyone to work in this district! Commission or hourly pay, the commission rate they pay is so unrealistic that no one ever makes commission at a smart style!!  less
Pros
newly cosmetologists
Cons
District Leader, Unrealistic Commission goals
Always short staffed
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IAApril 10, 2016
I loved my manager at the location I was at. However I was working 50 hours a week for 7.25 always busy, but somehow I never made commission! I was always the top combo person, but never saw a dime from it because I never somehow made my service goals.
Stylist/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 6, 2016
I love working there. The manager I came in under was great. She had no problem with helping me when I needed it. She is also a great teacher, teaching the shorter, faster and more accurate ways to do styles and cuts. The new management is very childish. Not a huge fan. The customers and co-workers makes up for the lack of respect the new management have.
Pros
Customers
Liked to stay busy
HAIRSTYLIST (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCApril 1, 2016
Every office and salon that I have worked for has maintained a steady work flow, which is nice because I like to stay busy. I have learned so much about how corporations are ran and also how privately ran salons are run. I learned how to maintain a professional attitude in times of hardships with former clients and also how to be a friend and be a listening ear. I learned how to take stock of inventory and to also order more products for the salon on a weekly basis as well as a monthly basis. I was responsible for almost 5 years of running payroll for over 500 employees, I got very familiar with Microsoft Office Programs. I have enjoyed my career choices and even leaving a great career to pursue my passion in doing hair and being a cosmetologist which has been the scariest thing I have ever done.
Pros
Breaks, learning about new techniques being used that change on a daily basis
Cons
No healthcare provided to me
good place to start
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 30, 2016
Smart styles is a good place to work if you are just starting out doing hair. the pay could be better if I worked harder. overall a fun working place.
Pros
good place to start
Cons
pay
Does not pay enough.
Stylist/Retail/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 29, 2016
The stylist behind the chair do all the work with little pay. Base pay is minimum wage or commission which starts at 38%. Even though you are suppose to be a full time employee you get part time hours.
Great owners! Fun environment!!
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Cleburne, TXMarch 24, 2016
I LOVED the owners!! My Co-workers were also great! Only Downside was the location if you did not already have a clientele. It was probably one of my favorite places to work
employee
HairStylist (Former Employee) –  Elverson, PAMarch 24, 2016
I have to say that this was the worst place to work for. there was only one co worker I got along great with but everyone else wasn't very nice. There was no fairness at all in this salon
Ordinary
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Nicholasville, KYMarch 22, 2016
A typical work day include servicing customers that walk-in
I learned some new styling techniques
I believe that management is biased and unhelpful
Some workers had nice and helpful attitudes
The hardest part is satisfying every client that comes in for services
The fact that i'm able to do what i love
Pros
continuing education
Cons
Lack of clientele and rate of pay
enjoy working place, talking
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Thibodaux, LA 70301March 7, 2016
Enjoy be creative with hair, hair cuts, perms and color, good clientel, corrective color, hi lites, low lites, the most enjoyable part of the job was having haopy clients with they hair.
Pros
winning prizes
Cons
health insurance
only allowed certain numbers of hours per day which had to be split between stylist
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Monroe, GAFebruary 22, 2016
This company hired me on false pretenses, I had 3 interviews where I thought I made it clear I could only accept the position if I had 40 hours per week which I was promised, I never received over 25 hours a week. I was offered another position with another company on referral, accepted the job, a few weeks later the person who hired me was fired for not following job descriptions.
Pros
easy going job
Cons
no restroom in salon had to go outside of salon
loved my co-workers management was very fair
STYLIST (Former Employee) –  InvernessFebruary 17, 2016
at first glance its not the most glamorous job but when you start your career at a place where the other stylist have your back from day one it puts in to prospective a hope for the road ahead absolutely loved every minute. -T
Pros
had a point system which allowed you to get free tools for you personaly
Cons
drama between co-workers (not to bad though)
Slaved away with little to no recognitizon
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILFebruary 16, 2016
Pretty much a very misguided and misdirected worked non stop with little recognition very biased cliquey not a fair and moral place in my opinion you are thrown to the wolves and the moment they want you out they jump you blind side you and have you set up the whole time.
Pros
Walk in business
salon
stylist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHFebruary 9, 2016
very slow lots of downtime, there alone all the time stocking and managing. opening and closing the store alone. only select few regulars
Pros
free time
Cons
too much free time
2 years of slavery
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 8, 2016
basically you work hard every day for very little pay. You would do at least 5 hair cuts in an hour and only receive minimum wage for it while the company receive all the money you worked hard for. Its great to work here if youre a recent graduate and trying to sharpen your skills. Other than that its a waste. Sorry but not sorry
great
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Patterson, CAFebruary 8, 2016
Great place to start as a hairstylist out of school. Not very busy all the time, great place to start your clientel if need be.
Fantastic company to work for. Education oriented and goal driven.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 7, 2016
Working in management for the regis corp. was a very fun and fulfilling position. I enjoyed the education opportunities as well as the availability of management to help me succeed. I had the opportunity to hire my own staff . I thoroughly enjoyed all parts of my job with the company and would definitely work with them again.
Pros
education and travel opportunity
Cons
rebuilding the clietele
Good company to work for
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Lufkin, TX 75904February 5, 2016
I have worked for this company for six years and they are really good to work for when you first graduate Cosmetology School because of stability.
Pros
Always have a check
Cons
underpaid
not really worth it
GREAT CLIPS (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaFebruary 4, 2016
where i worked at there was a revolving door of management no team leads the higher up management was not respectful job life was not fun clientele was dim lack of continuing education