SmartStyle Employee Reviews

Very Friendly atmosphere
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILApril 2, 2017
Fast Paced, Fun, Atmosphere, Need to be willing to work. There are a handful of girls that have been with this company for 10 years or more. if looking for a place to call home for your career this is the place to be.
Pros
CE Hours
Cons
Breaks
hair Salon
Manager/ Stylist (Current Employee) –  Dickson TnMarch 30, 2017
Smart Style is a Regis Corporate Salon with full Benefits, It is fast paced friendly atmosphere. Smart Style is a full service salon, Where Stylists can be creative using color, cutting, and perming techniques
benefits
Cons
location
minimum wage , saw no comission bonuses
stylist (Former Employee) –  mullan road missoula mtMarch 30, 2017
Was a great place to start, but then there was to much cutthroat competition in the salon to reach the unrealistic goals set by corporate. Quality of service was less important that qaulity of service. Time off when needed was to much of a hassle, no flexibility in schedule, minimum wage and no comission bonus because goals were near impossible to reach.
Pros
tips were nice
Cons
to much drama, inflexible schedual, unrealistic goals set by corporate.
Non-productive, laid back
Hair Stylist/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYMarch 24, 2017
A typical day of work at the salon was sitting around waiting on clients to come in. Most days were very slow, although on busy days it was very enjoyable connecting and meeting new people each day. I learned that everyone is different and sees things differently. Some people will never be pleased with life and others will love anything you do for them. Management was great until she quit. After a while one of my coworkers began to bully me and spread lies about me. That was the hardest part of my job. The thing I loved the most was interacting with others everyday
Fun, Fast Paced Job
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCMarch 17, 2017
I love doing hair, and the way the customers enjoyed me doing their hair was priceless. I loved doing little girls' blowouts and shampooing. I love it
Pros
Free Hairstyles
Cons
Short breaks, Rude Customers
manager/stylist
Manager/Stylist (Former Employee) –  Wabash, INMarch 16, 2017
The company itself and what it brings and entails is good, however the compensation for the stylist's and managers isn't the best. You do get commission, but as hard as you work putting into the salon you could be paid a better rate.
My salon was great
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Grandville, MIMarch 15, 2017
I love my boss. She's amazing and really hard working. She does her best to work around my schedule, and if she forgets about something I wrote on the schedule, she has no issues changing it. She works with me and my coworkers to the best of her ability.

In the other hand, we're a low performing salon. It makes sense because the Walmart we're located in is one of the lowest performing stores in the state.

There has only been one training class since I was hired on 4 months ago, and stylists come and go here quick. Regis corporation doesn't care about the little guys. We do our best with what we have, but we can only do so much. If we don't make sales commission, we can't make retail commission, which means that we work for minimum wage and minimum wage only.

When I offered to manage our local fb page, our regional manager said she would talk to someone about it and I've never heard anything since then. We do all we can to bring clients in, but corporate doesn't care about that.

If you get hired in to a high performing salon, you'll be golden here. If you're newly licensed, they'll work with you. Other than that, I would suggest another company.
Pros
Management is good, good people, nice environment
Cons
Not many opportunities to advance, corporate doesn't care about small salons
Fun and professional
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Whitehall Township, PAMarch 14, 2017
The Smart Style is a very fun place to work. Everyone is super nice and it has a very professional and inviting environment. There is a lot of career advancement and a lot of training involved as well. There are always classes going on that everyone, no matter how long you have been working there, is welcome to join. They really take the time to help their employees grow. Great company.
Commision Stylist
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZMarch 13, 2017
At Smart Style you do not have the flexibility to make your own hour. You do not have a clientele they are Smart Styles clients so if you ever leave you will have a hard time taking your clients with you. The commission is not good 4 years ago I only got 35% commission off of services and 20% off of retail sales. You have to meet certain qoutas. I did like the fact that you had paid vacation and you also could start a 401 K.
Pros
Not enough pay or flexibitlity
Cons
Benifits and insurance.
Cosmetology
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 9, 2017
Customer service and consulting patron on their hair and life style to better assist them in creating a memorable experience. I learn how to interact with different personalities. How to order and run a business as a salon manager. Satisfying the customer to make them want to come back.When I make a customer happy and successfully complete my job effectively
Pros
when I sell retail for the company you get points to buy products through there online store
Cons
Sometime unable to eat lunch
fun place to worl
Assistant Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 7, 2017
 Managed the client schedule, ensuring that the appointment rotation schedule was operating in a smooth and efficient manner.
 Scheduled appointments and maintain and update appointment calendars.
 Maintained and ordered supplies and inventory and kept records.
 Handled and resolved customer’s complaints and followed store policies and procedures
Pros
good tips
Cons
health care
Productive place to work
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ILMarch 6, 2017
I enjoy working there.Great place to work. Fun and energetic environment. Diversity in the salon, different ethinicites. Base pay could be a little higher but you have the opportunity to make more with commission.
Pros
chance to make commission
Cons
base pay isn't much higher than minimum wage
Good place to start at, not stay in
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, VAMarch 2, 2017
This was meant to be a temporary place while I gained experience and I got stuck in a rut while employed here. The company has grown too large too quickly and no longer care about their employees, only the profits they can make.
Pros
Company provides all tools, except shears and razors
Cons
No restroom, no breaks, long hours
I cut, colored, perm customers hair, ran the register, help customer and gave advanced on what they should use on their hair
STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PAMarch 1, 2017
typical day and smartstyle, some days where slower than others. When a client walked in i had to greet them, i would sit they down in my chair and ask them what they wanted to do to the hair. When i was finish i would ask them if they like what i did to their hair and they said yes. Then i would talk to them about hair product, and ring them out. I learned a lot more about retail and running the register. The management was good, Workplace culture everybody was friendly and help me if i needed help. The hardest part of the job was trying to get out of my shell more because im a shy person. The most enjoyable part was meeting all the clients i had and making them feel good about themselves.
Pros
learning about retail
Cons
being to shy
not the best
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Greenville, MIFebruary 24, 2017
love the work but the management is not the best. high turn over management like to have a chip on there shoulder. did offer classes once in a while
Pros
clients
Cons
management
Great Salon
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COFebruary 21, 2017
Fast Paced, great clean environment. located inside Walmart so there is always something to see. Hardest part of the job was when you are overwhelmingly busy
Pros
Located inside wal mart
Cons
Located inside wal mart
Okay place to work
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNFebruary 15, 2017
Management could be better.
Learned how to deal with unhappy people in a mature manner.
The hardest part of the job was unhappy clients.
The most enjoyable part of the job was making people feel good about themselves.
There really wasn't a typical work day. It was always very different. Mostly just busy. No time for sitting.
Pros
Good Money if you're willing to work
Cons
Short Breaks, Bad Management
Good people to work for its just...
COSMETOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCFebruary 14, 2017
Whenever you are coming out of cosmetology school it is a good place to gain experience. However the clientele also expect someone to cut hair like john freida when their straight out of school for $10
A great atmosphere to work and grow, both socially and in skill development. I was not satisfied with the wages at SmartStyle. There is much work and
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Blairsville, GA.February 12, 2017
I love working and helping people to feel good about themselves. Walmart is an excellent place to work but SmartStyle requires alot for little pay. Minimum wage is ridiculous for a master cosmetologist.
Good place to get salon experience
Stylist / Sales (Former Employee) –  Azle, TXFebruary 12, 2017
Great place for someone to work straight out of school to get the working experience. The manger was nice and very knowledgeable about the business.
Pros
Good mangement
Cons
Poor compensation to employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SmartStyle. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7