Smashburger Employee Reviews

Easy, fun, and enjoyable
Cook (Former Employee) –  99th and mcdowellFebruary 11, 2017
Working at Smash Burger was probably one of the most challenging experiences of my life. granted of course I was 16 at the time, but never the less I managed to push through and do my job well. I got along with my co-workers and the customers very well, if there was a conflict I resolved it without getting angry or escalating the situation. The only reason I had to leave is because of school. If I was given the opportunity I would go back.
Pros
A lot of breaks, fun environment, flexible schedule
Cons
Working later than I have to because others do not do their jobs
Nice but not the right amount of hours
Cook (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COFebruary 4, 2017
A typical day of work is pretty easy and a nice experience.
I learned how to cook many things I was previously unable to cook.
The management was nice but did not always take issues I addressed as I had hoped.
Everyone there is nice and able to joke at times while still getting their job done.
The hardest part of the job is completing the prep work and cooking under pressure.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people.
Pros
discount
Cons
not enough hours
Definitely a warm and inviting workplace with the best staff one could ask for
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 26, 2017
I learned plenty from my time at Smash Burger. Starting my mornings at 7:30am to manage truck orders, input aeromark invoices and manage bank deposits. Training other managers assigned to different store locations and our wonderful staff/guests I had the pleasure of being side by side with.
Pros
Great management, great staff and excellent guests!
Cons
Advancement opportunities slowed due to corporate changes.
Fast
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 27, 2017
When I start of my work shift I begin by opening the store with the manager in charge and I continue by turning all essential electrical equipment like the grill and they take the longest to heat up. After that I begin prepping the food for the shift by using the pre set prep chart made by the manager early in the morning. after prep is done stock all of the prep in the freezer, and follow that up by restocking the step table and I start the day.
Pros
learning how to cook, raising money and counting skills
Easy Job with relaxed environment
Guest Service Expert (Former Employee) –  Oak Lawn, ILJanuary 19, 2017
Smashburger was one of those jobs I needed during my high school days & with them I learned more about talking to customers and working the cash register. It was a very easy job during that time of my life because everyone was around the same age managers included so we all knew how to interact with each other and that made working as a team that much more important. The hardest part of the job was when it would be super busy and I would have to be in 5 different places at once. The most enjoyable part of the job was the team I was working with and the mangers were all super cool. Overall I would give smashburger a 3.5 out of 5.
Pros
Free food and management were super nice
Cons
Pay & the amount of workload would be heavy
good food
Server, Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJanuary 15, 2017
cashiers also server the customers and clean the tables and wash the dishes and sometimes you close the store as well, the only thing i did not like about the job is split shifts your first shift would be 2 hours then you would go home for 4 and come back for 4 it was annoying because of how far i lived from the smashburger the only plus about the place is if you work there you can get free food while your there on break
Pros
free food while working
Cons
split shifts
Great job for spare time or student life
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, TXJanuary 7, 2017
This job I find to be too easy and simple. Even when it is extremely busy such as during the holidays or dinner rushes, it is a very easy and somewhat fast pace job. It is perfect for the average high school student, but as an adult with a child and many bills to attend to this job does not cover it and I would prefer something more challenging and appreciative of my quality skills.
Pros
half off meals, flexible scheduling, great for first time employment
Cons
low pay, no benefits, not enough hours, only get breaks if you work a double shift
Unsanitary workplace and unexperienced workers
Cook (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAFebruary 4, 2017
I usually work the night shift. The kitchen is never clean when I come in. There are always dishes in the sink and fries on the floor. Most days there is a low amount of customers that come in. The manager recently cut my hours even though, I am one of few who had experience working at another Smashburger.
Pros
50% off meal and free drinks
Cons
low hours, favortism towards males, and food makes me sick whenever I eat here
Very nice workplace presentation meant everything
Shift Leader/Manager (Former Employee) –  FortJanuary 17, 2017
I loved this job for the time I had it a regular day at work i come in count my register and make sure everything was alright in the front of house. I learned how important it is to make sure the customers are having a good experience and how to enter invoices for truck orders. My coworkers at this job were all great workers which i loved because something like that is very rare, The hardest part was the big rushes we'd get because when running the food the screen would get full of orders and it would be a little confusing if you came after someone else was running the station. The best part of the job was giving the customers an experience and food that was amazing
Pros
Free meal, Fun working environment
Costumer service job promoting a new vision of casual dinning
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 16, 2017
As a shift lead I was responsible for the functioning of a 7- 8 hour shift. Int he duration of this shift I was held accountable for overall costumer satisfaction, order prep quality and efficiency, building maintenance, and monetary profit recordings. The environment was fast paced, consistently changing, flexible schedule with opportunities to grow in the business.
Fun working environment
Cook, BOH trainer, Shift leader/Manager (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZ 85283December 23, 2016
I have worked my way up in the two years I have been with the company. I started as a cook and then got promoted to a shift manager after about 6 months. Days can be hectic at times but from those tough days is where I really learned how to delegate the staff in the most proficient way I see best and of course satisfy the needs of the customers. The staff is great, younger crew for the most part but great workers!
Pros
Full time hours, overtime every week
Cons
short breaks, inconsistent scheduling
A good way to work out your arms.
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 5, 2016
You could either start the day out slow or fast pace but either way you will end up getting a workout in and be almost sweating like tomorrow. I learn about my coworkers more and some customers as well! The management is tough on the job but out of it they are great people which is what it should be. The hardest part of the job is keeping up in the high pace environment when the line doesn't decide to end; however, the most enjoyable part of it is when its done and you all rejoice because the customers are satisfied and the employees finally get to rest.
Pros
Good workout & great environment
Cons
Breaks seem short, not enough people sometimes, and your shoes get kind of stinky
Fun environment and wonderful team
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 11, 2017
The flexible schedule drew me to this job, but the positive environment kept me working here. I feel that my customer service skills have improved in my career here, as have my abilities to perform managerial tasks. Our team is reliable and I look forward to going in to work.
Pros
Free meal as a manager, flexible scheduling, decent wages
Cons
Few benefits for hourly workers
Great atmostphere
Guest Service Expert (Current Employee) –  Laughlin, NVJanuary 1, 2017
almost always busy so the time goes by fast. you take orders, take guests their food and maintain the appearance of the restaurant.
management cares about you and wants to work with your needs and wants. most coworkers are friendly and make you enjoy going to work.
hardest part of the job is grumpy guests and standing for 8 hours
the most enjoyable part is the co-workers.
Business Focused more on growing that supporting employees
Guest Service Expert (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 11, 2016
The company is growing fast and they want you to know that on day one. While a growing company may sound like a great place to work, it actually means they don't focus on employees much. Training quality varies by manager and location, and there are next to no guarantees for decent pay or job security either. Even their best employees aren't always treated well. I at least liked some of the people I worked with.
Pros
Cheap food
Cons
No breaks, bad scheduling
fun workplace but not a lot of room for improvement
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  East Windsor, NJFebruary 16, 2017
The most enjoyable part about this job were the people i worked with. Work revolved around a family like environment and made communicating and working very easy. no one ever felt out of place. However, there isn't a lot of room for improvement which is a major setback. There's only so high one can go.
Smashburger Experience
GCE/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Henrietta, NYFebruary 8, 2017
Working at Smash burger has been a delight and definitely an experience working in the restaurant field. In the past that was not a profession that I would have done but I am glad I have the experience. It is wonderful to meet and greet so many different people to serve with passion and care. I believe hospitality in a work place like Smash Burger is so important and patrons enjoying themselves and there meals, to be treated with dignity. The employees are great and the management is well diverse and friendly. I found this job to be very rewarding but the hardest part was all the walking and standing but once things picked up, you never noticed. Apart from the hour changes Smash Burger is a great place to work for the youth looking for a job in the restaurant environment. Much different than most food chains.
Pros
The 50 percent discounts for employees
Cons
Short breaks
productive & fub place with different types of burgers to choose from
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 26, 2016
a typical day at my job would be about 300 guests, I learned alot about different kinds of burgers and people allergy , met different kinds of race. The managment was satisfying. I loved my co-workers most of us were around the same age. the hardest part of my job would be trynna stay calm with a guest with a very moody attitude the most part I enjoyed was making milkshakes and hearing the guests compliment on how thick and tasteful it was.
Pros
employee discount meal
Cons
short breaks
Fast Food place that keeps you on your toes
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJanuary 18, 2017
The first few days are pretty good. After that, there's a couple things the co-workers will say that are all completely different. You don't get any breaks no matter how long or short your shift is. Free meals were given, but then taken away.
Pros
Long shifts to get your hours.
Cons
limited breaks, very little communication.
Stepping stone for mngmt skills
Shift Supervisor, Staff Trainer (Former Employee) –  Radnor, PAJanuary 2, 2017
It was a good job it gave me some insight on the management part I enjoyed building a great repor with customers. I actually wished I couldve gone further with the company due to unforeseen issues things didnt work out.
Pros
Free lunch, customer service skills
Cons
Long work sometimes no break

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smashburger. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9