Smc Corporation Of America Employee Reviews

Very good work life balance and compensation
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INDecember 18, 2016
My typical day at work was to meet the requests that the Project Manager gave.

I learned to be patient and to be creative when things did not work out as expected.

I did not have many co-workers that I corresponded with directly.

The hardest part of the job was to get proper training because most employees were extremely busy most of the time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the Employee recognition and appreciation.
Life at SMC
Supervisor, Production (Current Employee) –  Noblesville, INOctober 7, 2016
Friendly work environment. Most people are understanding and willing to listen. Fast paced quickly growing company. Good company to work for. Opportunity for advancement.
Pros
cheap health insurance, competitive pay
Cons
some managers much better than others
Awesome employees
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 6, 2016
All employees worked with me and had no problem showing me how things worked. My father is actually the manager for this company but never treated me differently.
Not such a great place but the people are nice
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INJuly 14, 2016
A typical day at work was pretty nonchalant, make sure your work is completed and you can go home at 5, although they expect you to work more hours just to get their money's worth out of you. Of course if it was during Budget Season then, I would have to work 12+ hour days. And we never got overtime or any special benefits for that. I definitely learned a lot, more advanced excel skills, experience with VBA, different ERP systems, and the budgeting process.

Management is kind of a joke at this company. They don't really follow any guidelines and just kind of do their own thing. A lot of power struggles between the departments and They will probably end up getting replaced by the parent company in Japan because they have been working on a new ERP system for almost 5 years now and it still hasn't come together yet. The co-workers though were great. Some of the most fun people to work with. I will definitely miss them as I look for a new career.

The hardest part of the job was definitely budget season. It was a mess trying to convert manual processes into a new budget software while at the same time complete the budget by the given deadline. Not to mention taking over +500 employees expenses reports that needed to be audited every week at the same time. I have the Financial Supervisor to thank for that hot mess. She may come across as a nice person who cares about you but turn your back on her for a minute and she will drop you under the biggest bus she can find.
Pros
definitely the coworkers, but they have a cafeteria and ping pong tables too
Cons
Everything else
Productive,fun,fast-paced
Machine Operator/Packer (Former Employee) –  Sterling, MAJuly 9, 2016
A typical day at work was:
Easy fast paced and enjoyable,barely stressful
I learned how to operate machines,use a scale,label and package product properly
The management was great..

My co workers were Easy going,friendly and professional

the hardest part of the job was trying to stay awake if I was stationed at a slow machine...and trying to pick up more shifts..

the most enjoyable part of my job was
I got to run around and operate 5+ machines at one time(which was easy)
,20 min break every 2 hours,
i really enjoyed the atmosphere and the people i worked with...
we were team players,always helped each other,and everyone gave each other respect,if i didn't understand how to do a certain task or had an issue with something the supervisors never hesitated to help
Informative
Sales Trainee (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INApril 14, 2016
The trainers were very knowledgeable, patient and eager to teach. Work days were a little mountainous as they were spent mostly in front of a computer in a room with no windows, with little to do and little supervision.
Very Poor Management and highly Unorganized.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenville County, SCMarch 10, 2016
The local managers have no idea what they are doing and are very unorganized and are unaware of the markets in which the supposedly sale in. I have seen first hand how they treat their employees and are very frugal with entertaining potential customers and unwilling to go the extra mile to go after the larger customers and rely merely on small businesses to keep them in business. Their lack of the new age of current business acumen is very far behind the times. I would not recommend investing my time working forthis company
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Very poor management and local technical support is very poor.
great values
Inventory & Quality Control Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAMarch 1, 2016
I like the benefits. this is a Japanese company, so they have a philosophy of advancement for their employees. There is a lot of opportunities for people who wants personal growth.
Pros
tuition help
Cons
management
Run away
Sales Trainee (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INFebruary 16, 2016
The company makes a good product but the management team leaves something to be desired. Everyone seems scared to lose their jobs. All "yes men" with little ability to think logically or with original thought
Assembler Production
Assembly Line Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Noblesville, INFebruary 10, 2015
I work as a material handler and an assembler. I pick part for orders and I also put together manifold and test them for air leakage. The hardest part of the job would probably be testing, sometimes its hard to figure out where a leak is located. I enjoy working with my coworkers on my line.
Productive and fun work enviroment
Inside Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INJanuary 19, 2015
SMC was a fast paced support center for customers nation wide. Had an excellent management support system for all employees and offered great benefits. I learned about the full all pneumatic products and applications on a daily basis.
Pros
Company Kitchen, Game Room, and contests
Electrical Engineer Wearer of many hats
Design Engineer Electrical Products Group (Current Employee) –  Noblesville, INDecember 14, 2014
Management listens to engineering
Can work with all disciplines
Agile design and testing
Customer and Sales support
Great place to learn and work at.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 3, 2014
People there are wonderful from all levels.
Management can be of target and lack of understanding the industry of business.
Pros
Cons
Limited advancement
Japanese owned. Poor management.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Aurora, Il.January 21, 2014
This company hires a multitude of sales people every 10 years or so and they blitz the market. Once they have established a certain market share, they let the sales force go and keep only a select few.
The Japanese culture is one of working sun up to sun down. That's not an issue for me, but in Japan you get 7-8 weeks vacation your first year. They expect the same work ethic in the US but give you the usual 2 weeks vacation.
Somewhat unfair--don't you think?
Pros
Global company
Cons
See above.
Manufacturing
Design Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Noblesville, INJuly 14, 2013
Manufacturing company that creates special equipment for US based customers.
Great core of employees and solid product
Program Manager - Mechanical, General Motors (Current Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIApril 24, 2013
A typical day includes visiting Tier sources to support product during tool design and tool build. I then head to the office to sign off on designs or research technical questions from my visits. I also review stock levels to ensure that I have the necessary product available to ship within contract terms.
I have learned how the body shop and general assembly areas of a build facility operate. SMC has a wide variaty of products that we sell into these sections. I support my product at the plants from installation to regular production.
My management gives me the freedom to support my customer as I see fit. This includes managing stock levels, travelling to customer locations, and overseeing support staff responsible for customer locations.
The hardest part of the job is gathering gathering sales forecasting data. My customer has multiple suppliers for tooling. Each supplier has different product needs. These variations can impact what I bring in and the quantity.
The best part is the interaction with so many different people. I deal with six design and build sources for a program in addition to the direct customer. They know me and trust the suggestions I make.
Pros
flexibility and freedom to support my customer
Productive and serious place to work
Now Environmental Health & Safety Administrator (Current Employee) –  Noblesville IndianaSeptember 29, 2012
Regulation examination
Write programs to accommodate production
Check MSDS for duplicates
Pay attention to all details
Pay attention to details
Seeing the training take effect
Pros
all holidays
Cons
must do overtime when salaried, no breaks
Many Opportunities...
Regional Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJuly 19, 2012
SMC offered many opportunities for team enhancement and collaboration, international exposure to different business practices, and friendly, long-time staff.
Working with engineers proves to be a rewarding experience.
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 16, 2012
Providing direct administrative support to upper management and subordinates. Working for a Japenese company proved to be a life long learning experience that has a lasting positive affect on my career. Learning the Japanese culture provided for a different perspective on management and providing tools to the employee. The style of management ALWAYS included the lay persons, those working in the trenches, verses the American way is to normally include management and then dispurse without consulting the lay person, This alone proved to see why the environment and culture with subordinate and management worked
Pros
healthcare, benefits, management
Buenos beneficios
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INOctober 21, 2016
Mal clima laboral en el warehouse.
Supervisor presto a solucionar todas las inquietudes de su equipo de trabajo
Excelente manager, muestra interes por el bienestar de los empleados
Departamento de Recurso Humano poco etico