Smc Corporation Of America Employee Reviews

Poor Management and low pay
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2017
Pretty good job security but slow advancement and the upper management does not communicate well with the lower levels. You get good benefits and quite a bit of time PTO
Pros
Benefits and PTO
Cons
management and pay
It was an okay place
Assembler, material handler, parts picker (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INSeptember 14, 2017
People that know and do their specific jobs well should be compensated accordingly. Also trsin people properly on their jobs. That would make for a much better work environment.
Pros
Stay busy
Cons
Short breaks
Great working enviornment
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INSeptember 13, 2017
I loved my other co-workers, along with the managers and supervisors.Gained a lot of experience and learned how a corporate company should ran. SMC truly takes care of its employees.
Pros
Fun break rooms, great working environments
Cons
That I had to leave
Enjoyed working there over 15 years.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INSeptember 8, 2017
It seems people complain about nepotism, but the company has over 1600 employees, and they used to have a no nepotism policy. It was all of us employees who begged for family to work there and the company decided to put a policy in to let family work there if qualified as long as they do not work in the same department. I am and will always be very thankful for this. I still have a brother who works there and is very happy there. I do not have free healthcare at my new job or a Christmas bonus.
Pros
Free healthcare, Christmas Bonus, Family Atmosphere, Cafeteria
Not a Good Place to Work
Inside Support Specialist and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Noblesville, INAugust 21, 2017
Horrible nepotism, management, and overall negative and stressful atmosphere. Can be let go for no reason at all. They care more about following rules then supporting good workers.
It's hard working place.
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INAugust 9, 2017
The music is redundant in there. So is the work mostly. Also, you are required to stand from 7 to 5 so good luck with break. But if it's your last resort. Then do what you must.
Benefits are great!
HR Analyst (Current Employee) –  Noblesville, INJuly 22, 2017
Management is very unprofessional. There is no consistency at this company.
I have moved up in this company fast. Now that I work closer to senior management I am deciding this company is not for me.
Very fortunate for the advancement and knowledge I have gained.
Excellent place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 7, 2017
Most work is inbound warm call, easy script and close, can make a lot of money. Outbound calls also warm. Atmosphere is fun, exciting, team oriented. Training is great.
Pros
Atmosphere
Advertises good culture and benefits, but be warned....
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INMay 23, 2017
Constantly changing company; large gap between 10+ year employees and <3 year employees; sever issue with nepotism and favortism, inconsistent with administrating company policies; customer service department and all hourly positions have very high employee turn over; large disconnect between upper management (ie Senior VP and a handful of directors) and middle management (and other employees); company has settled several wrongful termination cases in the last few years; parent company in Japan seems to have no idea what is going on due to being distracted by macro-level issues with new ERP implementation, steady sales growth, and because the senior VP screens all complaints from the rest of the organization so they never reach her superiors; job culture is typically positive, as advertised, with exception of few areas that are designed to fail; company can't seem to get out of its own way and creates its own problems with consistently poor decisions; incredibly well engineered and high demand product in niche market creates a stable base that masks serious underlining issues; the work is generally rewarding if you can stay out of the way and off the radar of a handful of "influential" managers and directors; company advertises promotion and lateral moves, however there are very few successful examples
Pros
Mostly good coworkers, work can be rewarding, decent to good benefits, cafeteria
Cons
Poor office politics, nepotism, poor HR department support, lack of involvement and mentorship from directors
Good benefits, poor management
CNC Set-up Operator/Programmer (Current Employee) –  Noblesville, IN 46060May 10, 2017
Benefits are great, and the pay is real decent.
Only first shift with over 800 employees.
Lots of great people to work with.
Easiest job I have ever had.
Also Japanese owned, so real clean.
Pros
Full service cafeteria
Cons
Management is out of touch on the floor.
Enjoy ping pong playing the guitar songwriter
Assembler 4 (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INApril 15, 2017
The company is a global company that is responsible for thousands of employees. This company believes in continuing improvement,problems solving cross training,marketing and investments. I have matured as a employee and expectations for marketing increase each year. I chose to stay with this company because of career advancement, insurance benefits and profit sharing opportunities. I was taught to systematically work through my assemblies and the importance of saving time and finding new ways to work. I also was taught how to take inventory the importance of using the correct tools and to never be afraid to ask questions. I think one of the most important skills is proper planning and organizing job orders so that more product is delivered to the customers correctly and on time. My experience with this company has transferred in other opportunities as well. I believe that my skills will lead me to greater opportunities and that I will an asset to the next company. I'm thankful for this company and the experience that I received.
Pros
Free fruits group seminars
Cons
Large facilities it takes time to walk to work place
Newer facility,some updated machines
Machine Technician III (Current Employee) –  Noblesville IndianaMarch 21, 2017
Good working environment, climate controlled facility.1 shift (days only) Overtime rarely mandatory but available.Very good benefit package with extremely low co pays.
Pros
1 shift (days) only
Cons
Only 5 Machine Technicians and 2 PM Technicians for entire facility.
Very good work life balance and compensation
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INDecember 18, 2016
My typical day at work was to meet the requests that the Project Manager gave.

I learned to be patient and to be creative when things did not work out as expected.

I did not have many co-workers that I corresponded with directly.

The hardest part of the job was to get proper training because most employees were extremely busy most of the time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the Employee recognition and appreciation.
.Great Products, Opportunities for Advancement Limited
Sales (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 5, 2016
Upper management is disjointed with the average employee. Company has installed GPS tracking devices on all sales vehicles. CRM tool is cumbersome and non-intuitive. Way to many sales people. Raises in pay very minimal. Great insurance at no cost to employees or their family. Great 401(k) match - up to 5-1/2%.
Pros
Insurance, 401(k), Company Car
Cons
GPS in Cars, CRM tool too hard to use, Micro-management, Raises few and far between
Buenos beneficios
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INOctober 21, 2016
Mal clima laboral en el warehouse.
Supervisor presto a solucionar todas las inquietudes de su equipo de trabajo
Excelente manager, muestra interes por el bienestar de los empleados
Departamento de Recurso Humano poco etico
Life at SMC
Supervisor, Production (Current Employee) –  Noblesville, INOctober 7, 2016
Friendly work environment. Most people are understanding and willing to listen. Fast paced quickly growing company. Good company to work for. Opportunity for advancement.
Pros
cheap health insurance, competitive pay
Cons
some managers much better than others
Awesome employees
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 6, 2016
All employees worked with me and had no problem showing me how things worked. My father is actually the manager for this company but never treated me differently.
Not such a great place but the people are nice
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INJuly 14, 2016
A typical day at work was pretty nonchalant, make sure your work is completed and you can go home at 5, although they expect you to work more hours just to get their money's worth out of you. Of course if it was during Budget Season then, I would have to work 12+ hour days. And we never got overtime or any special benefits for that. I definitely learned a lot, more advanced excel skills, experience with VBA, different ERP systems, and the budgeting process.

Management is kind of a joke at this company. They don't really follow any guidelines and just kind of do their own thing. A lot of power struggles between the departments and They will probably end up getting replaced by the parent company in Japan because they have been working on a new ERP system for almost 5 years now and it still hasn't come together yet. The co-workers though were great. Some of the most fun people to work with. I will definitely miss them as I look for a new career.

The hardest part of the job was definitely budget season. It was a mess trying to convert manual processes into a new budget software while at the same time complete the budget by the given deadline. Not to mention taking over +500 employees expenses reports that needed to be audited every week at the same time. I have the Financial Supervisor to thank for that hot mess. She may come across as a nice person who cares about you but turn your back on her for a minute and she will drop you under the biggest bus she can find.
Pros
definitely the coworkers, but they have a cafeteria and ping pong tables too
Cons
Everything else
Productive,fun,fast-paced
Machine Operator/Packer (Former Employee) –  Sterling, MAJuly 9, 2016
A typical day at work was:
Easy fast paced and enjoyable,barely stressful
I learned how to operate machines,use a scale,label and package product properly
The management was great..

My co workers were Easy going,friendly and professional

the hardest part of the job was trying to stay awake if I was stationed at a slow machine...and trying to pick up more shifts..

the most enjoyable part of my job was
I got to run around and operate 5+ machines at one time(which was easy)
,20 min break every 2 hours,
i really enjoyed the atmosphere and the people i worked with...
we were team players,always helped each other,and everyone gave each other respect,if i didn't understand how to do a certain task or had an issue with something the supervisors never hesitated to help
Informative
Sales Trainee (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INApril 14, 2016
The trainers were very knowledgeable, patient and eager to teach. Work days were a little mountainous as they were spent mostly in front of a computer in a room with no windows, with little to do and little supervision.