SMECO Employee Reviews

Very nice place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hughesville, MDMay 17, 2017
fast paced electric company. with lots of opportunities for advancement. It was close to home and great benefits package. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the customers that did not have power due to storms, etc.
Pros
close to home
Cons
IT infrastructure management is clueless.
Technical Analyst - Desktop (Former Employee) –  Hughesville, MDAugust 1, 2012
It's important to note, that unlike most companies, Managers were above directors. At the time of my employment, the Manager of IT infrastructure and CIO were clueless. The manager is good with Unix, the rest of the time he runs around causing panic and terror because with every new issue or problem: the sky is falling. There are no priorities or procedures in place for evaluating what is or is not mission critical, so everything is! Kneejerk is the name of the game here, other departments (mostly software developers) ask for a servers or drive space, the manger asks "how high" to jump? Then casts his people in the way of the oncoming bus to "make it happen" with as few tools as possible. Throwing the same people under the bus if it can't happen. If we did manage to pull it off, the Manager would always have a private meeting with the CIO to collect the teams' atta' boys, for himself.

The CIO came from Verizon and is clueless about IT. His position is also responsible for managing the "contact center" at which he seems to excel at, as he should since that is what he did at Verizon, otherwise he is clueless and believes everything the Manager tells him.

The money is good and the benefits are OK, but dwindling fast. The company 401k was in bad shape when I was there, I hope it's recovered. The line crews and such are run by unions and that can be good or bad. Most of the people are nice and appreciative of your work. I moved down to Southern Maryland to escape all the "red tape" I always found in other jobs, thinking: "Hey, there are some good ole' boys who don't have time for
  more... that!" I was wrong, it's worse. Way worse... considering that many of the employees are lifers and have never worked anywhere else, they believe that this company functions like all others. Those long timers who have left have found this out the hard way.  less
Pros
salaries, vacation time, co-workers
Cons
management on up to the ceo.
Good company
Mail Handler, Driver (Former Employee) –  Hughesville, MDMarch 27, 2012
Good company all in all,the hours are not very good,depending on your position is what determines your hours.
Pros
good pay
Cons
late hours