Smith's Food and Drug Employee Reviews in United States

Great Company to work for
CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYMarch 21, 2016
I was a Manager on the front end for 8 years. I was always treated with respect from upper management. I got along well with my Co-Workers and loved the customers and helping them in any way I could. I also Did the bookkeeping and hiring. Great Company to work for. Good benefits.
Dairy and Frozen Food Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 6, 2015
Very supportive team, management was very supportive through the learning process. I learned a lot about the retail industry and customer service. Very fast paced and fun work environment. Was able to learn a lot from all co-workers. More often then not there were duties to be performed in two places at once which was tough, but i was able to accommodate. Strict and high standards were set for each and every employee which in my book, produces the very best finished product. This explains why the Kroger Company is a world renowned retailer.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Very little praise for job well done
Would not reccomend
Cashier, scanning (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTNovember 2, 2015
Smiths has great benefits if you can get them. They make everything hard to get including hours,paid vacation, sick days, and health insurance. Management is constantly changing and they do not treat their employees well they we are easily replaceable. It is impossible to get 30 hours a week unless you work grave yards and closing. The managers are constantly changing and your hours are never with in your availability. Smiths in draper are very disorganized and management never owns up for their mistake. Breaks are always short and your lucky to get all your breaks.
Pros
Discounts on almost everything you buy
Cons
short breaks, pain to get benefits, very little working hours
stressful
Day Stocker (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 14, 2016
very stressful job. it takes forever to get any sort of raise. good thing is if you're going from a bagger its easy to get a promotion.
Great Culture
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 7, 2016
Family feel to the general culture. Great place to work with many great people to work with. But you must work hard in order to advance.
Pros
Job advancement available for those who work hard
Cons
Compensation
High paced stressful job working over night stocking shelves and maintaining sales floor with good benefits and decent pay
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 6, 2015
The grocery industry has some of the best benefits I have ever witnessed and the pay was decent however with the stress and graveyard shifts, I feel it could have been more. Works well for a student trying to go to school and needing a job with flexibility. Smiths Food and Drug merged its Arizona stores with Fry's Food and Drug now.
Benefits
Cons
graveyard shift
Great place to learn about retail
Checker and Backup Scanning Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 11, 2016
Everyday pretty much the same. You get to interact with all types of personalities. I learned key retailing procedures and ordering.
Management is very hands on and will help in any department when needed. Varied shifts and days off every week can make it hard to make plans sometimes.
Pros
Meeting new people. Advancement opportunities available for those interested.
Cons
No set schedule unless you're a department manager.
Great Community to work with, management not so great.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 16, 2016
A typical day working at Smith's, I would clock in and immediately be sent out to the parking lot to bring in baskets. The location in which I worked at was always understaffed, I wonder why... Most managers where very understanding and cared for their co-workers then we had those managers who did not appreciate the hard work of many and took advantage of their authority. Getting to know the people with whom I worked with and their personal stories was very educational and helped me understand and help more on personal level. The hardest part of the job would be the parking lot and having to stay out in the heat or cold because we were under staff, which really was annoying. The most enjoyable experience was doing go backs and in the process assisting customers to your potential since you do not have to worry about being back in time to start bagging groceries again
Company that likes to present themselves as a great place to work, but is only true if you are a director or in corporate
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 21, 2016
I work alone with no help. The store directors walk around to make sure I am doing my job and put more work on me but never lifting a finger beside straightening a thing or two. They expect you to do everything and without help and you'd better not go overtime. They push all workers like slaves so they can earn their nice bonuses while the ones that do all the hard work get nothing but a $2 giftcard. Majority of co-workers are nice and really hard working people. They are the only thing that keeps me from losing my mind working here.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Management, snobby customers, low pay, no incentives
Good jobs, compensation, and chance for advancement, difficult company
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Murray, UTAugust 21, 2015
I overall haven't had a great experience with Smiths. There are lot of advancement opportunities and options, good benefits, and great compensation. However, I have had lots of difficulty with lots of management. Co workers are great, corporate and management is very difficult. Employees are treated like theyre replaceable.
Pros
advancement opportunities, pay
Cons
management, corporate
Opinion
Baker/Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVJuly 19, 2016
I have worked for Smith's for nine years I started when I was sixteen. Smith's has been good to me, no complaints here.

Open bakery, pull expired products, bake product, clean, customer service.

Management is awesome.

I get along with all of my coworkers, everyone works hard.

the hardest part of my job is that eight hours is barley enough time to get my job done, there are days that I have to work overtime to make sure myself and coworkers are set for the rest of the day and the next morning.

The most enjoyable part is probably working graveyard 1am-9am getting out early and having the rest of the day to do whatever.
Pros
Health Insurnce
Cons
Eight hours is not even time.
Bad management choices, and they do not hire qualified people.
Freight Lead (Current Employee) –  West Wendover, NVJanuary 12, 2016
I would not go back to work for this company unless it was my last choice for a job. I worked the hardest I ever have for the company only to be passed up for opportunities. They would choose to hire people who had a publicly known record of being fired for drugs or alcohol, they'd put people in management spots that didn't have a high school education. I tried so hard only to be stepped on, always. It's like they didn't want to move me out of my spot because they wanted me right where I was at. I would strongly advise you NOT to work for Smith's Food and Drug or Kroger stores at ALL.
One of the worst companies I have ever been employed with
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 4, 2016
This is a high demanding job with very low pay. Contradictions in policies, procedures and expectations are everywhere you turn. Although this is a Union represented place of employment, there is with rare occasion that the Union is actually helpful, productive, nor beneficial and always results in unaddressed retaliation from the non-union upper management. There is no recognition and no reward for hard woking individuals that have even just a little work ethic and integrity, in fact, those whom possess such standards are grouped with, and treated accordingly to those who take advantage of the union's representation to be unreliable, lazy and outright terrible employees. I can honestly say that I have no idea how people can remain employees of this company for so long.
Good pay good benefits
CSM/ Liquor Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYSeptember 21, 2015
Customers are first priority.Not the lowest pricing yet still very competitive.I learned how to identify customer needs and how to meet them. How to manage my time well. Prioritize. Order product. Pay invoices work with vendors,inventory controll add items to system. Work with vendors. Sighnage
Pros
GOOD PAY GOOD BENEFITS
Cons
HOLIDAYS WERE A REAL CHALLENGE
Shameful workplace and horrible experience!!!
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 2, 2016
Absolutely horrible workplace. I liked it at first because it's a good experience for a first job but it went downhill fast. It is extremely low pay compared to all the work we have to do. Even minimum wage would satisfy me but it's below that. I never got my benefits that were promised to me & never had breaks even on 8 hour shifts. If I did it was only for 10 minutes, or I had to sneak in my own break time. Managers wouldn't give me less hours and didn't understand that I had other priorities. Lead CSM even expected me to work after I quit because she has no help. It quickly became clear that the managers disliked me and I still have no idea why. There were a few cashiers that I got along with but that's all I'll miss. Avoid this job at all costs because it is a complete joke. You will be underpaid while constantly feeling physically and emotionally exhausted.
Cons
No breaks, no benefits
Great Company (if in a Good Location)
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 21, 2015
The job of a Smith's Service Deli Clerk in Las Vegas is one of the hardest! There are many things to do at once, and you have to be able to work well under pressure. We work with hot foods, messy foods, slicers, knives, and tons of customers throughout the day! Having a good crew and management are imperative to getting the most out of your employment experience. Customer service is the first priority. I would've loved to stay within the company and grow, as it delivers amazing benefits, pay, and sometimes advancement opportunities. My only con to the job would be the inside drama. I've worked at two different stores, and the attitudes amongst coworkers is depressing to say the least. Drama, drama, drama, and no conflict-resolution. Management could use a few pointers on communicating their expectations more effectively.
Pros
benefits, weekly pay, &advancement opportunities
Cons
unfair treatment, favoritism, &lack of communication
not the best fit for me
Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 19, 2016
I have only been there a short time, but it is very hard for me to do my job when I don't have the proper equipment or the supplies I need to do my job. I have a very small workspace and there is not a lot of co-operation from my fellow employees.
The most enjoyable part of my job, is that I get to decorate cakes, I really enjoy decorating the cakes for special orders and then seeing the customers face when they pick it up and it is exactly what they wanted!
Pros
good discounts with groceries and other venders
Cons
not enough hours, equipment, or supplies to do the job properly.
did not injoy working there.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMMay 23, 2016
a typical work day for me was to bag the costumers purchased items. clean the store, including the bathrooms, and retrieve carts from the parking lot. I learned some great costumers service skills there. the management was not all that good there. a lot of the management team there would have there favorites, and those that were not there favorites were treated ever badly and would runs them into the ground. most of the other clerks were every lazy, so I was asked to do most of the tasks that were expected of us to do by myself, and some of the tasks required 2 to 3 people at a time and i was doing them by myself.
Multitasking and the true meaning of hard work at Smith's Food and Drug Store
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 10, 2016
If you really like people and having to do more than one thing at a time this is the job for you. If you don't mind pulling in shopping carts in many different climates and becoming stronger work here. Having an equal opportunity with each and every co-worker isn't very likely here. There is a major hierarchy system within this company that doesn't play out in certain peoples favors.
Pros
$8.75 an hour, opportunity to switch departments, and experience
Cons
Politics, late break times, varied schedule times, and bad work environment.
You have to know how to deal with people to work here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 31, 2016
Provide services to customers; bill pay, returns, western union transactions.

Gained more experience in cash register work and how to handle the stress of dealing with customers.

Management overall was good. The expectations sometimes seemed unreasonable but not impossible.

Co-workers are friendly. We help each other and watch out for one another.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with ungrateful, rude, obnoxious, and difficult customers. It's hard to do your job professionally when dealing with individuals that go out of their way to ruin your day.

The best part of the job is you learn to appreciate what the workers at your local store go through to provide everything you enjoy when you go shopping.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
stress, pressure