Smith's Employee Reviews

it was okay, i guess.
Customer Service Booth (Former Employee) –  North Salt LakeMay 13, 2015
Did not get paid enough for all of my duties required of me. I really enjoyed my co workers. Most of the time i did not get a break. Management said we could come to them for anything and when you did they did not help resolve the issue. They try hard to put the customers first. Standing in one spot all day is rough.
Pros
co-workers were amazing.
Cons
no set breaks. sometimes i didn't even get a break.
Productive but not enough recognization with workers
Stocker/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 5, 2015
The work load was easy to handle, but they didn't really show any recognition sometimes which lead to not wanting to work no more. I have been recognized twice for hard work and best employee but I was working for promotion and didn't receive it, which I thought I would after receiving so many compliments.
Pros
Coworkers are easy to work with
Cons
Choices for promotions
A typical fortune 500 company.
Pharmacy Technician CPhT (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 4, 2015
This company has the potential to be great with the right kind of leadership and more family based qualities. The company provides great benefits, and plenty of vacation time, GOOD LUCK using the time. You must find your own coverage. Short term is great, poor choice for a career.
Pros
Vacation pay, Ins. benefits.
Cons
Management, Time management, open door policy.
Fast paced environment
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 23, 2015
Don't make the customers mad or you're fired. Management is good but they don't pay courtesy clerks enough for everything that they do for the company or the customers. Courtesy clerks don't get enough credit for what they do and all other employees look down on them because we are just "baggers" and "cart chasers"
Cons
pay wages, management
good place to work
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, UTJanuary 26, 2015
you learn how to work. bagging groceries, cleaning bathrooms, floors, and various other areas of the store, helping customers no matter how they treat you. You have to be positive all the time and willing to help outer departments when needed. Really fun job and worked well with my schedule. Always had friends working with me and got to know people.
Pros
exercise, fun people and environment
Cons
grouchy customers, gross bathrooms sometimes
One of the best jobs I ever had
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 26, 2015
This was the best job I ever had my co workers were extremely helpful & fun. The customers were friendly and very informative.
underwhelming work place
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  summerlin,nvNovember 17, 2014
Typical work day was more a routine, had the same check list of duties everyday. I learned to be efficient and prompt, I also learned to time management.
Management was great, understanding of employees work needs and friendly. Hardest part was the fact that they couldn't have more of a flexible scheduling system. Most enjoyable part of the job was, the friendly staff and customers.
Pros
employee discounts, friendly co-workers and management
Cons
boring daily routine, no guarantee of proggression
Dedicated to creating a wonderful shopping experience
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 24, 2014
At Smith's, the customers were definitely a main focus for the store. There were many store huddles that informed workers of ratings, customer complaints and compliments, and which department needed a little more work. Those departments were known as the "Focus Department". After huddles, many of the workers from different departments were asked to spend five minutes or so helping in improving the appearance and productivity of the department. No matter where you walked in the store, you were asked to greet the customers, insuring a friendly and home-like atmosphere. The co-workers were able to build a genuine connection with many of the customers that frequented the store. This was one of the most enjoyable parts of the job. Knowing that customers chose to continue to come back, even if it was just to see how you were doing. The customers definitely made the job worth while.
Pros
store discounts, benefits, and promotional opportunities
Cons
short breaks, hourly cutbacks, healthcare
Great company
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 5, 2014
Easy to move up in company, decorated cakes and was cross training into other areas of the bakery.
Pros
free food, discounts on kroger products
Cons
did not enjoy scheduling
EXCELLENT WORK HOUR,EXCITING PLACES TO WORK
SUBCONTRACTOR (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAAugust 21, 2014
WORK VERY HARD FOR MY EMPLOYER,WELCOME NEW CHALLENGES,EXCEPTED THE RESPONSIBILITY TO BE ABLE TO COMPLETE MOST JOB ASSIGNMENTS AHEAD OF SCHEDULE
Pros
was able to set my own work hours
Cons
healthcare
First and great job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 22, 2014
Well I achieved so much in this company from learning so much even before I turned eighteen. It was a great first job the made me keep some of the ethic I have today. From making minimum to the maximum pay I was in a great position at a young age. Management you hardly saw nor did you get recognized for progress. Always felt I was the only one working my hardest while most co-workers seemed to stand around.
Pros
great pay at the time and wonderful experiences for me to learn
This company stifles your potential.
Bagger (Former Employee) –  South Jordan, UTJune 14, 2014
Smith's doesn't recognize your hard work or anything you do. They also disrespect you because you are "only a bagger".
not a fun place to work do not work here. management is very sucky, and they dont really know how to manage.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Taos, NMMarch 4, 2014
fast pace work environment.
Please the customer or else your fired.
Pros
no pros
Cons
cons the shortest lunch break of my life 15 minutes.
Productive fun work place.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAFebruary 14, 2014
Orchestrated all calendar management and logistics for meeting scheduling including transportation, lodging, food, and entertainment.
Management were professional, co-workers were professional, there were no hardest part of working there, and the most enjoyable was going to work everyday.
Pros
everything
Constomer Service, thrived off sales
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, UTDecember 11, 2013
A day at work is rewarding because of the enthusiasm of the managers in getting things done in a orderly fashion.
My co-workers are friendly and kind, they liked to motivate others and have fun.
The hardest part about the job is that fast paced so I had to work in a stressful environment and we were the busiest store in Utah.
The most enjoyable part was to see the customers happy and resolve conflict.
What I learned about this job was to have outstanding work ethic in a stressful environment while attending the needs of the consumer.
Pros
heath care
Cons
short breaks
Fast paced, busy environment, serving high volumes of customers with different needs.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Midvale, UTNovember 18, 2013
Full service Customer Service Booth. Open daily 9 a.m to 9 p.m. Open service booth by counting till starting at $3000.00. Responsible for the security of money in till. Help customers with money service needs, Cashing Checks, Store returns, credits, exchanges, Answering high volume of phone calls, sell of SmithTix events, Bill Pay, Money Orders, Western Union, sell of variety of UTA Bus Passes thru, fill Balloon Orders, Make keys, organize Lost and Found items. Constantly keeping the service booth cleaned and organized in a professional business manner.

At end of day close service booth. Balanced daily reports. Securely locked and secured the area.
Pros
love meeting new people each day. enjoy seeing and becoming friends with repeat customers.
Cons
no breaks, very rushed to close and balance transactions at end of day at 9 pm, have only 15 minutes to balance everything before you are required to clock out
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bullhead City, AZSeptember 13, 2013
Stock and organize merchandise, Assist with customers, Build displays, Team work, Maintenance, Inventory
Smith's
Take back items to proper area for sales (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas NevadaJuly 17, 2013
Long hours and no help at all. Had to work in the sun for 30 mins bringing in carts because they only have one baggier
Customer service and promoting sales
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 11, 2013
Interacting with customers and employee. Promote sales, and control shrink and maintaining margin goals.
Pros
customers service
Cons
n/a
Fun workplace
Bagger/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vernal, UTJune 3, 2013
Customer sevice, bagging groceries, register. I learned how to handle cutomers with their issues.Management was fun but very very strict. My coworkers were awesome. Hardest part of the job was working really long hours with very short breaks. Best part was the enviroment
Pros
the enviroment
Cons
very short breaks