Smith's Employee Reviews in United States

Simple and Easy
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 30, 2016
My coworkers are easy and fun to work with. I have a friendly and workable environment. The challenges I face would be that you can't always make customers happy but you can do the best you can.
Overall nice place to work, not worth the hourly wage if you have bills.
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVJune 3, 2016
Overall wonderful environment to work with, along with great benefits. Unfortunately the pay is under the minimum wage and the breaks are only 10 minutes every two hours not giving us enough time to properly sit down, eat, and etc. The hours are also all over the place so dont expect a very set schedule.
Pros
Great benefits, wonderful staff, and great for working around job/school schedules.
Cons
Short breaks, unlivable hourly wage, lots of heavy lifting in the Vegas heat.
mediocre job with decent pay
CAKE DECORATOR (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVMay 24, 2016
Co-workers usually got along at this store but management was the main issue here. Very hard to advance unless you were best buds with the higher ups.
Great location for experience, but poor management
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTMay 19, 2016
I worked as a courtesy clerk for smiths for one year, and I was very pleased with how flexible schedules were there. However, the lack of pay advancement and miscommunication between the higher management made working there frustrating. Aside from that, the job was just like any other store: rush hours were hectic, co-workers don't always cooperate, and there were some unenjoyable duties such as cleaning the restrooms. I will say though that if you follow the rules and work to avoid causing problems, then you will get along their nicely. I honestly enjoyed working with customers and having a bit of variety in my tasks. I just wish more had been done to encourage me to stay and to improve the issues between departments.
Pros
Flexible schedule, easy tasks, good supervisors
Cons
Poor communication, resentment between departments, bad weather
Once the job was learned it was easy.
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMApril 20, 2016
Days started out extremely early in the morning to get ready for people going into work or school. Learned how to work faster and smarter rather than longer than others. Co-workers were rather non-existing which was very interesting but made it easier to deal with the tasks without drama. Hardest part of the job was getting use to one set up then getting thrown into another without the proper training and having to pick up someone else's slack.
Pros
Had a decent amount of work space and was easy to learn and finish.
Cons
Having to finish work that was not finished by others and blamed for it.
24/7/364 retail work
CSM/Dairy Manager (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTMarch 7, 2016
A typical day/night at work consisted of stocking shelves and being a cashier while trying to hit a benchmark of 85 cases per hour. With the store being open 24 hours and being the only cashier in the night, it was incredibly difficult to hit the benchmark while still serving customers. The creativity was stifled because corporate wanted everything done the same in every store.
Pros
They will hire just about anybody.
Cons
Once you are capped out on your wages, you get about $0.25 per year.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 5, 2016
I would come in the time i was requested for and prepared daily foods and drinks for customers. Management was good and my co-workers were friendly.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks
Providing customer service
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pahrump[, NVSeptember 23, 2015
I loved to interact with the customers everyday, You start to build a relationship with customers you see everyday. I had a good relationship with management and co-workers.
Pros
Talking with the customers.
Cons
Schedule clashed with school work
Great envoroment to work.
Deli Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMSeptember 15, 2015
I cut meat and cheese for customers, made food like baked, fried chicken, french fries, burritos. my co works were great to work with my management was super awesome. There was nothing hard about the job at all everything was easy. Most enjoyable part was helping my customers make desitions on what kind of meat tasted better.
A delicious chapter of my work history
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Payson, UTAugust 27, 2015
I was trained to take on the bakery alone while providing a clean work space and coexisting with Smith's amazing customer service brand promise. Amazing training was provided, along with the correct supervision I needed to begin my employment.
Pros
Extremely friendly, caring environment
Cons
Not employed long enough to determine.
it was okay, i guess.
Customer Service Booth (Former Employee) –  North Salt LakeMay 13, 2015
Did not get paid enough for all of my duties required of me. I really enjoyed my co workers. Most of the time i did not get a break. Management said we could come to them for anything and when you did they did not help resolve the issue. They try hard to put the customers first. Standing in one spot all day is rough.
Pros
co-workers were amazing.
Cons
no set breaks. sometimes i didn't even get a break.
Productive but not enough recognization with workers
Stocker/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 5, 2015
The work load was easy to handle, but they didn't really show any recognition sometimes which lead to not wanting to work no more. I have been recognized twice for hard work and best employee but I was working for promotion and didn't receive it, which I thought I would after receiving so many compliments.
Pros
Coworkers are easy to work with
Cons
Choices for promotions
A typical fortune 500 company.
Pharmacy Technician CPhT (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 4, 2015
This company has the potential to be great with the right kind of leadership and more family based qualities. The company provides great benefits, and plenty of vacation time, GOOD LUCK using the time. You must find your own coverage. Short term is great, poor choice for a career.
Pros
Vacation pay, Ins. benefits.
Cons
Management, Time management, open door policy.
Fast paced environment
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 23, 2015
Don't make the customers mad or you're fired. Management is good but they don't pay courtesy clerks enough for everything that they do for the company or the customers. Courtesy clerks don't get enough credit for what they do and all other employees look down on them because we are just "baggers" and "cart chasers"
Cons
pay wages, management
good place to work
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, UTJanuary 26, 2015
you learn how to work. bagging groceries, cleaning bathrooms, floors, and various other areas of the store, helping customers no matter how they treat you. You have to be positive all the time and willing to help outer departments when needed. Really fun job and worked well with my schedule. Always had friends working with me and got to know people.
Pros
exercise, fun people and environment
Cons
grouchy customers, gross bathrooms sometimes
One of the best jobs I ever had
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 26, 2015
This was the best job I ever had my co workers were extremely helpful & fun. The customers were friendly and very informative.
underwhelming work place
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  summerlin,nvNovember 17, 2014
Typical work day was more a routine, had the same check list of duties everyday. I learned to be efficient and prompt, I also learned to time management.
Management was great, understanding of employees work needs and friendly. Hardest part was the fact that they couldn't have more of a flexible scheduling system. Most enjoyable part of the job was, the friendly staff and customers.
Pros
employee discounts, friendly co-workers and management
Cons
boring daily routine, no guarantee of proggression
Dedicated to creating a wonderful shopping experience
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 24, 2014
At Smith's, the customers were definitely a main focus for the store. There were many store huddles that informed workers of ratings, customer complaints and compliments, and which department needed a little more work. Those departments were known as the "Focus Department". After huddles, many of the workers from different departments were asked to spend five minutes or so helping in improving the appearance and productivity of the department. No matter where you walked in the store, you were asked to greet the customers, insuring a friendly and home-like atmosphere. The co-workers were able to build a genuine connection with many of the customers that frequented the store. This was one of the most enjoyable parts of the job. Knowing that customers chose to continue to come back, even if it was just to see how you were doing. The customers definitely made the job worth while.
Pros
store discounts, benefits, and promotional opportunities
Cons
short breaks, hourly cutbacks, healthcare
Great company
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 5, 2014
Easy to move up in company, decorated cakes and was cross training into other areas of the bakery.
Pros
free food, discounts on kroger products
Cons
did not enjoy scheduling
Excellent work hour,exciting places to work
SUBCONTRACTOR (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAAugust 21, 2014
Work very hard for my employer,welcome new challenges,excepted the responsibility to be able to complete most job assignments ahead of schedule
Pros
was able to set my own work hours
Cons
healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smith's. Our community is ready to answer.