Smith's Employee Reviews

Great Place But...
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJuly 27, 2016
I only worked at Smith's for three weeks. I would have enjoyed working longer, however, I was fired for "not going to work" The problem was with management. I was told to speak with my supervisor to get a detailed work schedule, however, my supervisor seemed confused himself. He gave me a schedule up to a certain day, then told me he would be in touch if I was to come into work. Next thing I know, I am getting a phone call from HR telling me that I haven't been to work and that my employment was terminated

The work environment was great. I really enjoyed my co-workers, however, management needs to step up their game. I was told when I was hired that the turnover for Smith's was very high. I don't think people were quitting their jobs because they didn't like them, I think they were being terminated because management fails to communicate.
Pros
Nice Place to Work
Cons
Management doesn't communicate
Great location for experience, but poor management
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTMay 19, 2016
I worked as a courtesy clerk for smiths for one year, and I was very pleased with how flexible schedules were there. However, the lack of pay advancement and miscommunication between the higher management made working there frustrating. Aside from that, the job was just like any other store: rush hours were hectic, co-workers don't always cooperate, and there were some unenjoyable duties such as cleaning the restrooms. I will say though that if you follow the rules and work to avoid causing problems, then you will get along their nicely. I honestly enjoyed working with customers and having a bit of variety in my tasks. I just wish more had been done to encourage me to stay and to improve the issues between departments.
Pros
Flexible schedule, easy tasks, good supervisors
Cons
Poor communication, resentment between departments, bad weather
Great place to work.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UT 84770January 2, 2017
A typical day at work was busy. While I worked there I learned a lot about working with people, customer service, and keeping customers happy. The management was great and my co-workers were great to work with. The hardest of the job was working in the heat in the summer and the most enjoyable part was working with people.
Worst job I have ever had
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 27, 2016
Working at smiths was absolutely horrible. I worked in a severely understaffed bakery, was forced to work full time when I didn't want to, I was given a list of things to accomplish everyday and it was impossible to complete everything because there was supposed to be another person there helping! I never took breaks, had to go 8 hours without eating just so I could accomplish as much as possible and I was only paid $9 an hour. The management (especially HR) was unprofessional, and did not care about my concerns when I tried to bring them up.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, overworked, no breaks
Great
Dispacher (Current Employee) –  Holladay, TNDecember 6, 2016
I have really great co workers, we all work great together. We are a small company and sometimes things go across the wrong way, but we always find a way to work things out. We are like a family here and we help one another and we are always here for one another. And that is very special to me. My co workers here at Prime Towing Inc. are my family, and even though I don't say it out loud but I do love every single one of them in a very special way. They all have become very important people in my life and have helped me when I have had no one else not even my own family to be there for me. And so they do mean a lot to me and no matter what anyone else says, because sometimes our company gets bad reviews because some people do not like our prices, my boss and my co workers are good people and they are out here risking their lives to help other people who get in car accidents or the truckers who get broke down on the side of the busy interstates, or semi's that get flipped over, or what ever the case may be. My boss and my co workers are good people and Prime Towing Inc. is a great company.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
NA
Bagger (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTJanuary 14, 2017
Some days can be hard depending on customers that comes through
Management are pretty cool
Co-workers will always lighten up your day
Overall nice place to work, not worth the hourly wage if you have bills.
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVJune 3, 2016
Overall wonderful environment to work with, along with great benefits. Unfortunately the pay is under the minimum wage and the breaks are only 10 minutes every two hours not giving us enough time to properly sit down, eat, and etc. The hours are also all over the place so dont expect a very set schedule.
Pros
Great benefits, wonderful staff, and great for working around job/school schedules.
Cons
Short breaks, unlivable hourly wage, lots of heavy lifting in the Vegas heat.
great pay and benefits
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMSeptember 28, 2016
Unless you brown nose your way through this company you will get practically no where, the second managers tag you as something that's the way it will stay the entire time you're employed
mediocre job with decent pay
CAKE DECORATOR (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVMay 24, 2016
Co-workers usually got along at this store but management was the main issue here. Very hard to advance unless you were best buds with the higher ups.
Once the job was learned it was easy.
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMApril 20, 2016
Days started out extremely early in the morning to get ready for people going into work or school. Learned how to work faster and smarter rather than longer than others. Co-workers were rather non-existing which was very interesting but made it easier to deal with the tasks without drama. Hardest part of the job was getting use to one set up then getting thrown into another without the proper training and having to pick up someone else's slack.
Pros
Had a decent amount of work space and was easy to learn and finish.
Cons
Having to finish work that was not finished by others and blamed for it.

Want to know more about Smith's?

Ask a question
I love my co-workers and in store management
Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Columbia Falls, MTAugust 3, 2016
Great high volume retail pharmacy atmosphere. Not any options in pharmacy outside of in store retail positions or more clinical positions in this area.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Limited to retail
Great People
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 16, 2016
Great people and a fun work environment. It's one of the few jobs that comes with the union. The hours are very flexible and the pay is weekly.
Pros
Weekly pay Great people
Cons
Pay isn't too great
A typical fortune 500 company.
Pharmacy Technician CPhT (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 4, 2015
This company has the potential to be great with the right kind of leadership and more family based qualities. The company provides great benefits, and plenty of vacation time, GOOD LUCK using the time. You must find your own coverage. Short term is great, poor choice for a career.
Pros
Vacation pay, Ins. benefits.
Cons
Management, Time management, open door policy.
Simple and Easy
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 30, 2016
My coworkers are easy and fun to work with. I have a friendly and workable environment. The challenges I face would be that you can't always make customers happy but you can do the best you can.
Dedicated to creating a wonderful shopping experience
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 24, 2014
At Smith's, the customers were definitely a main focus for the store. There were many store huddles that informed workers of ratings, customer complaints and compliments, and which department needed a little more work. Those departments were known as the "Focus Department". After huddles, many of the workers from different departments were asked to spend five minutes or so helping in improving the appearance and productivity of the department. No matter where you walked in the store, you were asked to greet the customers, insuring a friendly and home-like atmosphere. The co-workers were able to build a genuine connection with many of the customers that frequented the store. This was one of the most enjoyable parts of the job. Knowing that customers chose to continue to come back, even if it was just to see how you were doing. The customers definitely made the job worth while.
Pros
Store discounts, benefits, and promotional opportunities
Cons
Short breaks, hourly cutbacks, healthcare
24/7/364 retail work
CSM/Dairy Manager (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTMarch 7, 2016
A typical day/night at work consisted of stocking shelves and being a cashier while trying to hit a benchmark of 85 cases per hour. With the store being open 24 hours and being the only cashier in the night, it was incredibly difficult to hit the benchmark while still serving customers. The creativity was stifled because corporate wanted everything done the same in every store.
Pros
They will hire just about anybody.
Cons
Once you are capped out on your wages, you get about $0.25 per year.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 5, 2016
I would come in the time i was requested for and prepared daily foods and drinks for customers. Management was good and my co-workers were friendly.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks
Fast paced environment
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 23, 2015
Don't make the customers mad or you're fired. Management is good but they don't pay courtesy clerks enough for everything that they do for the company or the customers. Courtesy clerks don't get enough credit for what they do and all other employees look down on them because we are just "baggers" and "cart chasers"
Cons
pay wages, management
Fun workplace
Bagger/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vernal, UTJune 3, 2013
Customer sevice, bagging groceries, register. I learned how to handle cutomers with their issues.Management was fun but very very strict. My coworkers were awesome. Hardest part of the job was working really long hours with very short breaks. Best part was the enviroment
Pros
the enviroment
Cons
Very short breaks
Providing customer service
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pahrump[, NVSeptember 23, 2015
I loved to interact with the customers everyday, You start to build a relationship with customers you see everyday. I had a good relationship with management and co-workers.
Pros
Talking with the customers.
Cons
Schedule clashed with school work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smith's. Our community is ready to answer.