Smith & Nephew Employee Reviews in United States

Good company, limited opportunities
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 10, 2015
Smith & Nephew is a good company. It's really hard to advance once you are in the company. The management is decent and that depends on which building you work in. A lot of the managers came in thru the ranks and don't have a formal education and don't have a lot of the necessary tools to be successful managers. It's a great place to get some experience but don't plan on staying long if you would like to grow. There's also a lot of nepotism at Smith & Nephew.
Pros
compensation, flexible, ESPP
Cons
no advancement opportunity, No diversity in management personnel
Overall decent place to work
None (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 6, 2016
Decent place to work. The company offers decent health benefits and has a tuition reimbursement plan for employees. Depending on your position and manager, there is opportunity for flexible working schedules which is helpful for families with children.
Pros
Decent healthcare benefits and tuition reimbursement
Cons
Glass Ceilings. Limited On-Site Amenities (Gyms, Day Cares).
Very capable people
Director Project Management, Outsourced Operations (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 12, 2016
Company is very strong and has capable people. Management is slow to make changes but when they get rolling, wholesale changes are usually the result.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Right hand doesnt know what left hand is doing
Great place to Work
Configuration Database Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 7, 2015
Smith & Nephew rewards those that have a desire to advance. However, in most cases it more about networking within the company. Overall, Smith & Nephew is a good place to work with good job security and decent pay.
Pros
Salary, Advancement, Job Security
Used and Abused
OSC (Former Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 11, 2015
I worked for this company for two years. No training whatsoever! Upper management is lazy and will dish the work load onto the lower level employees then take credit for all the work. The stress is insane, industry standards are shocking, when considering what the company provides. Do yourself a favor and apply to the competition.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
No advancement, low wages
Good place to work and learn
manager (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAOctober 31, 2015
Smith & Nephew was not a perfect place, but it was a good place to work. The team is very helpful and most people want to do a good job. Upper management did not help much. The middle managers ran the show and got things done. Overall it was a good experience. Pay and benefits good. I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Upper management
Great Benefits; Hard to get "In"
Buyer/Planner (Current Employee) –  MemphisAugust 19, 2015
If you are in the in crowd, you will advance. Great place to work when politics arent involved.
They are beginning to focus more on the employees which is making the environment more pleasent.
Pros
great benefits, salary, advancement
Cons
work life balance, inexperienced managers
Great Learing Experience
Document Quality Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 24, 2016
Learn a lot.
Dedicated employees.
Work Life Balance.
Management was easy to speak too.

Typical Day was reading and updating changes to SOPs (Standard Operating Procedure).

Supplying Engineers with up to date SOPs based of FDA regulated changes.

Good starting point for college graduates.
Pros
Supplied occasional lunch.
Cons
Communication
Great Job
Senior Machinist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 25, 2015
This is a great company to work for I would refer anyone to this company. All my colleagues were great to work with, the area leads were great to work with as well as supervisors and Management. It was fun working there. It is a busy work environment and has great benefits and lots of opportunity for growth.
Workplace that combines the bottom line with passion for the patient.
Customer Service Coordinator III (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLApril 26, 2015
Smith & Nephew Advanced Wound Management is a global medical technology corporation that provides high quality medical products, medical education and services supporting initial wound bed preparation through to full wound closure, enabling better outcomes for patients and healthcare systems.
I was part of a great team that supported medical education, sales support, and patient information about the best practices for the extensive product line. I ensured all orders were processed and filled to meet the customer’s needs. I worked with many that shared the need to help end users, while meeting and exceeding the budgeted expectations.
Pros
Advancement opportunity and excellent benefits
was good to learn
CNC Machine Operator / Set-up (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MAOctober 23, 2015
was starting out on cncs, learned alot there. good group of guys. average pay, good benefits. worked off shift, paid differential.
Overall good company to work for
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 24, 2015
The only negative thing i can say about my job experience at Smith & Nephew will be the constant change in management. I believe a million dollar company should have a better stable upper management team. The constant change doesn't look good and adds a lot of unnecessary profit loss due to lack of knowledge.
Pros
school reimbursement, paid holidays, 401k
Cons
short breaks, lack of experiernce in management
Highly competitive atmosophere
Associate Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 26, 2016
I loved giving the kids a fun, competitive atmosphere to allow them to grow to be the best person they could on and off the field. I got to know each and everyone one of the kids on a deep personal level. I tried to set an example on how a man is suppose to act and guide them to become productive members of society. I was able to talk with parents and let them know that their sons are safe and are experiences a once in a lifetime experience that they will remember forever. My team went undefeated and I couldn't have been more proud for them.
Productive and fun
Procurement Contract Analyst (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 5, 2016
Most individuals were very helpful and nice. Management kept the job challenging and fun. There was a lot to learn about bids and negotiating.
Cons
no advancement opportunity
Terrible culture
Marketing (Current Employee) –  AndoverMay 27, 2015
There is absolute no work/life balance here.
Management is awful, people are all rude and self centered.
Terrible place to work
Pros
Cons
Culture, healthcare benefits, hours
Good performance was recognized and rewarded
Contract Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMarch 20, 2016
Fast paced business environment focusing on patient care and recovery. New challenges were an integral part of everyday duties and personal growth was encouraged. Teamwork as well as individual performance producing top-quality work in an ever-changing environment was expected.
Teamwork Expedition
Logistic Operator (Current Employee) –  Puerto RicoNovember 6, 2015
It is great place of work in the department of inventory control. I have lean how to manage different skills or departments. This because I like to learn and have knowledge of the company for when the co-workers come at you and ask for your help about something that they don't find, you need to start seeing all the inventory transactions and find the error on it. See what happen, receiving error, a wrong cycle or physical count, an incorrect order, etc. you need to ask every people at the different position to find the better way to get the problem. It is very important to have a great communication with all your co-workers.
Best Job I ever had.
DISTRIBUTION ASSOCIATE I (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN 38118May 7, 2016
This was my first gainfully employed opportunity I've ever had. I learned quite a bit from my Team Leaders and co-workers over the years there. I learned how to use a RF Scanner, forklift, SAP,packaging, and how to assemble surgical kits. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Smith & Nephew Inc.
Strong organization with good people
Group Marketing Manager, Knee Portfolio (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 5, 2016
Filled with work and challenges. Fun at times and it could be frustrating at times as well. Great engineering capabilities with good product portfolios along with good talent pool.
Pros
Good peoples
Cons
Lack of strategic clarity and top management being slow
Good compensation. No opportunity for advancement
Sr. Market Manager (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAOctober 20, 2015
Work environment was toxic in the home office. Culture suitable for Yes Men/Women. Strategic direction was lacking. New Product Development process was broken with most team participants not having training in ISO, or FDA product development guidelines. Management often untrained in best practices.