Smith & Wesson Employee Reviews in United States

Great company & good benefits
Purchasing Dept-Purchasing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 2, 2016
The company was great as a whole, treated the employees well. I enjoyed working at Smith & Wesson. I only left to raise our children and avoid daycare.
Pros
Healthcare & pay
great company with good benefits and lot of american history tied to it
Heat Treat Operator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 7, 2016
A typical night at Smith & Wesson is a lot of racking parts to then load them into furnaces set up the computer program to run the furnace, tempering the parts and checking the hardness. I have learned a lot about different metals and materials and how to use unique machinery, the management in the company so far everyone i have incountered seems to be genuine and effective. I get along well with my co-workers witch always makes getting through the night much easier. I find the hardest part of my job is the summers can be really hot in the department, (HEAT TREAT) the department can get well above 100 degrees. The most enjoyable part of the job is working in a place that has so much american history in it, it is amazing to me
Great work environment and benefits
Small Parts Revolver Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 27, 2016
Everyday workers and staff are motivated and happy. Everyone works together. Supervisors and Managers are positive and help make it more enjoyable to work.i learned that working together you get more done. there was no hard part at all.
Pros
great work environment, benefits and career advancement.
Stressful place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 1, 2016
Employees are over work running 6,8 and 10 machines at once.
Having to keep an to keep an 85% production rate. Keeping all
machines up an running while doing tool changes and getting CMM reports. Turn over is very high.
Benefits
Cons
Running to many machines at once just to much stress
Very organized and strict
Firearm Assembler/Inspector (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAMarch 28, 2016
The production, management and delivery of firearm is very serious business. As expected Smith & Wesson has a very organized and strict environment.
Ok undergraduate job.
Quality Assurance Shooter (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 24, 2016
A typical day at work is usually 10-12 hours of manual labor. I shoot anywhere from 250-300 guns in a single shift.

I've learned that production trumps safety and quality and that the HR department needs to separate itself from employees and allow for more privacy.

Management expects its employees to follow the rules but they don't set the example. One example would be with cell phone usage.

My co-workers are mostly friendly but only because they have to be because of the type of environment we work in. The firearms business can be a dangerous one.

Being micro-managed is the hardest part of the job.

Sending a customer a quality firearm.
Pros
Overtime.
Cons
Unsafe and dirty working conditions. (Lead dust)
great place with great benefits
Certified Gun Molder (Former Employee) –  Deep River, CTFebruary 22, 2016
smith and Wesson is a great place to work for, they are great with people who have children, they are all for family. I learned a lot threw out the time I worked for the company, great CO workers my boss was amazing and did everything he had to, to make sure his employes enjoyed working every day.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short breaks
Very Productive Workplace
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 18, 2016
Learned the ins and outs of revolvers. Learned how to handle a weapon the right and wrong way. Worked fast and skillfully on the assemlbe line to ensure are production number was always met.
productive and nice enviromental
Assambler (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 5, 2015
excellent place to work and you learn about team work and punctuality and quality of the merchandise and about compromise for the company
What I've learned
Human Resources Intern (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 13, 2015
My passion for HR has grown even more since working here. I have been working on a project where I have completely revamped the new employee orientation process. Working on this has helped me to gain more knowledge in the field.
They invested in the company to be the best.
Industrial Engineer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 12, 2015
Being an Industrial Engineer, I work on work instruction, BOM's, and routings. Train engineers on how to utilize the company new ERP system. Confirm cycle times for the routing. Maintain the work centers in the ERP system. I also did fixture design in solid works when required.
Pros
the people, benefits, gymnasium.
Cons
required to have a firearms permit.
slave drivers
CNC MACHINIST (Former Employee) –  Springfield massNovember 22, 2014
If you like working 6pm to 6am two days on two days off and working every other Fri sat sun nights this is the place for you just pray your not married or have kids because you won't be spending time with them you'll be to tired all the time I was making about 28.00 dollars but my home severely suffered so I left taking a job for about 5 dollars an hour less my sleep pattern and home life improved smith and Wesson is not for everybody
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
hours and days worked
fun place
slled gun fitter (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 16, 2014
hard work is rewarded new things every day advancement is very easy
Pros
learing new things
Cons
long long hours
Awesome
Data entry/Clerical duties (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 16, 2014
I've learned the proper definition of a gage and what they are used for in the world of firearms. I also learned to calibrate (inspect) plug gages.
Over all a good place to work, great people and good benefits and pay
Machine Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 14, 2014
Very good place to work, great people, good management, Learned a lot about production, how to manage time, learn different types of machinery, different types of quality and inspection processes. there was a lot of jumping around from dept. to dept.Over all I enjoued working there.
Pros
company christmas party, summer outings, special ice cream days, excellent cafateria
Cons
hot, not very clean could have better saftey policy
loader
floater / loader (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 7, 2014
load machine instal studs and side plates my co-workers were very helpfull
Quiet Place
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 4, 2014
Very quiet place and very career oriented employees. Always willing to help you out and make you succeed.
Not a bad place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 25, 2014
A typical day at work is 9:00am - 5:30pm

Please see my resume to view what I've learned

Management is wonderful

My co-workers are wonderful

The hardest part of the job is trying to help difficult customers

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work for one of the most reputable gun manufacturers in the world
Good place
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 17, 2014
Great place, great benefits, everyone is a family, there is always something to do and the learning always grows
Productive and fun place
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 22, 2013
This was an amazing company to work for. It's a shame that it was a temp position.

4.3