Smith & Wesson Employee Reviews

Administrative side of the house is a mess!
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 21, 2017
Unprofessional attitudes and behaviors. They discriminate against people with children and have many cliques within departments. Smiles and good reviews abound in person and the opposite is discussed when out of earshot.
Pros
n/a
Cons
Poor management
Employee (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAMarch 22, 2017
Nice people to work with and great work life balance! Management is very understanding and helpful. Much opportunity to grow in this company if you wanted to do so.
Productive work place, can be reactive rather proactive.
Team Leader / Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Houlton, ME / Springfield, Ma.March 11, 2017
Production over shadowed all other issues.
Getting people on the same page can be a struggle.
Putting production plans together, setting kanban systems.
Very good company and very good management
Revolver Assembler (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 14, 2016
Very well relaxed assembly area would highly recommend the company for anyone looking for a proper job/career, I also enjoyed working at the company due to the fellow employees that were very relaxed and management that was also very easy to get a long with and understanding.
Pros
mutable breaks, very relaxed environment/ atmosphere
where i started machining
CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  houlton maineNovember 10, 2016
really cool place to work not everyone gets to make guns.learned alot there from co workers and bosses .pay was not good .and would get very cold in maine
Pros
learning to machine
Cons
pay
Great Benefits and great company
Firearms Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 1, 2016
Its a great company to work for. The benefits are top notch and there is plenty of room for advancement.Great work environment
Great Job and Benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 9, 2016
The job and the benefits are awesome! The people you meet are amazing and are so full of knowledge you can't help but soak it all up like a sponge! I truly loved my job! Management is a different story...Depending on the department the company itself is a great place to gain employment and a career if your lucky enough to get in and get hired.
Great company & good benefits
Purchasing Dept-Purchasing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 2, 2016
The company was great as a whole, treated the employees well. I enjoyed working at Smith & Wesson. I only left to raise our children and avoid daycare.
Pros
Healthcare & pay
great company with good benefits and lot of american history tied to it
Heat Treat Operator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 7, 2016
A typical night at Smith & Wesson is a lot of racking parts to then load them into furnaces set up the computer program to run the furnace, tempering the parts and checking the hardness. I have learned a lot about different metals and materials and how to use unique machinery, the management in the company so far everyone i have incountered seems to be genuine and effective. I get along well with my co-workers witch always makes getting through the night much easier. I find the hardest part of my job is the summers can be really hot in the department, (HEAT TREAT) the department can get well above 100 degrees. The most enjoyable part of the job is working in a place that has so much american history in it, it is amazing to me
Great work environment and benefits
Small Parts Revolver Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 27, 2016
Everyday workers and staff are motivated and happy. Everyone works together. Supervisors and Managers are positive and help make it more enjoyable to work.i learned that working together you get more done. there was no hard part at all.
Pros
great work environment, benefits and career advancement.
Stressful place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 1, 2016
Employees are over work running 6,8 and 10 machines at once.
Having to keep an to keep an 85% production rate. Keeping all
machines up an running while doing tool changes and getting CMM reports. Turn over is very high.
Benefits
Cons
Running to many machines at once just to much stress
Very organized and strict
Firearm Assembler/Inspector (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAMarch 28, 2016
The production, management and delivery of firearm is very serious business. As expected Smith & Wesson has a very organized and strict environment.
Ok undergraduate job.
Quality Assurance Shooter (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 24, 2016
A typical day at work is usually 10-12 hours of manual labor. I shoot anywhere from 250-300 guns in a single shift.

I've learned that production trumps safety and quality and that the HR department needs to separate itself from employees and allow for more privacy.

Management expects its employees to follow the rules but they don't set the example. One example would be with cell phone usage.

My co-workers are mostly friendly but only because they have to be because of the type of environment we work in. The firearms business can be a dangerous one.

Being micro-managed is the hardest part of the job.

Sending a customer a quality firearm.
Pros
Overtime.
Cons
Unsafe and dirty working conditions. (Lead dust)
great place with great benefits
Certified Gun Molder (Former Employee) –  Deep River, CTFebruary 22, 2016
smith and Wesson is a great place to work for, they are great with people who have children, they are all for family. I learned a lot threw out the time I worked for the company, great CO workers my boss was amazing and did everything he had to, to make sure his employes enjoyed working every day.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short breaks
Very Productive Workplace
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 18, 2016
Learned the ins and outs of revolvers. Learned how to handle a weapon the right and wrong way. Worked fast and skillfully on the assemlbe line to ensure are production number was always met.
productive and nice enviromental
Assambler (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 5, 2015
excellent place to work and you learn about team work and punctuality and quality of the merchandise and about compromise for the company
What I've learned
Human Resources Intern (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 13, 2015
My passion for HR has grown even more since working here. I have been working on a project where I have completely revamped the new employee orientation process. Working on this has helped me to gain more knowledge in the field.
They invested in the company to be the best.
Industrial Engineer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 12, 2015
Being an Industrial Engineer, I work on work instruction, BOM's, and routings. Train engineers on how to utilize the company new ERP system. Confirm cycle times for the routing. Maintain the work centers in the ERP system. I also did fixture design in solid works when required.
Pros
The people, benefits, gymnasium.
Cons
Required to have a firearms permit.
slave drivers
CNC MACHINIST (Former Employee) –  Springfield massNovember 22, 2014
If you like working 6pm to 6am two days on two days off and working every other Fri sat sun nights this is the place for you just pray your not married or have kids because you won't be spending time with them you'll be to tired all the time I was making about 28.00 dollars but my home severely suffered so I left taking a job for about 5 dollars an hour less my sleep pattern and home life improved smith and Wesson is not for everybody
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
hours and days worked
fun place
slled gun fitter (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 16, 2014
hard work is rewarded new things every day advancement is very easy
Pros
learing new things
Cons
long long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smith & Wesson. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2