Smith College Employee Reviews

Great place
Facilities Management (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAApril 26, 2017
Smith is a great place to work. The only problem I'm having is the work schedule does not fit with my family life. Would love to stay but my son comes first.
terrible pla
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAApril 21, 2017
not a place to work alot of politics liberal college cut throat people people dont care about there employes they bully you specially upper management.......
Pros
Cons
run
Laid back, but productive and successful catering and entertainment service
Gold Key Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAApril 17, 2017
A typical day at work includes me showing up for a serving shift, setting tables properly for nice events, learning of guests' dietary restrictions, helping plate food, serving food, and cleaning up and washing dishes after the event.
Work Study is awesome in this Institution
Kitchen Worker (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MANovember 4, 2016
I worked multiple jobs on & off campus while attending Smith College. My fav experience was during my freshman year, working at a kitchen worker in Hubbard House. I loved my supervisor, Jackie. Years after I left Smith, I still maintain a relationship with my fav boss. I also visit occasionally with my kids. This is the best work environment I ever had, even after college. Everyone was friendly, and we helped each other out. The chef and dining room coordinators seemed to love what they do and did a great job too. I think one of my favorite things about smith is that their dining and housekeeping, as well as other laborers are so kind. They made attending Smith and my work study experience great. Everyone loves them.
Great place to work.
Director, Educational Technology Services (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MANovember 2, 2016
Very supportive environment, with a great leadership team. The students and faculty are fantastic. Plenty of resources to do what you want.
Great working opportunity for student
Technician (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAApril 15, 2016
Great working opportunity for Student while going to college; hours are flexible around school schedule and schedules are well organized.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
N/a
Fun and easy
Caterer/Server (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAApril 10, 2016
It was a very good student employment position. You were allowed to pick up shifts that you could work and fit your schedule, which was very good as a college student. Working the events was pretty fun, and all the servers became really close.
Pros
Free food you could take home
I think I am an asset to any business
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MADecember 7, 2015
I enjoy learning in life. I enjoy working with others as well as alone.
I like working in a professional environment.
I enjoy helping an organization grow.
I have had a lot of work experience working as an Administrative Assistant as well as working in the health food industry. I was a Wellness Manager and buyer for many years.
I am going back to school to further my education. I am seeking year round part time consistent work.
I do not need insurance.
Pros
Great Professional working environment
Great work environment
Accountant, Controller's Office (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MANovember 7, 2015
There is a quantity of projects, position requires a self-starter. Staff is very welcoming and cooperative. The parking can be challenging, however there are many places within walking distance for breaks. The college atmosphere is an interesting environment to work in.
Smith College
Phonathon Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAJuly 17, 2015
• Supervise student Phonathon callers, provide support for student callers, create and maintain a positive working environment
• Establish and improve leadership ability and communication skills by working alongside Smith College staff to fundraise for the college
Intense, fun
Assistant Producer/Video Editor (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAMay 6, 2015
-Depends on the job your working, on set its a normal day on set if a little unorganized
-I learned how to take control of my workflow when there are hiccups left and right in other's
-Management was quite intense, but necessary
-Co-workers were very friendly
-Keeping everyone on track
-Watching the project come to life
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Very long hours with little benefit.
I loved Smith
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAMarch 25, 2015
Smith was my favorite place to work. I worked here for six years and got to meet so many different people. Everyone you work with is always so nice and they make the job fun and enjoyable.
Productive place to work and study
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  MAJanuary 5, 2014
you can balance school and work while helping out your classmates and gaining work experience.
Excellent jobs for full-time students
Office Assistant, Office of Donor Relations (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAApril 9, 2013
As a work-study employee, I was a full-time student while working 10 hours a week. My managers were extremely flexible with my workload while understanding that I needed the financial support of my work-study.
Summer jobs only last a season
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAJanuary 16, 2013
Standard janitorial work. Very little to complain about, but also nothing to praise.
Worthwhile job, which helps other succeed
Tutor for Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAMarch 26, 2012
At Smith, I work as a tutor. During my tutoring hours, undergraduates come in for assistance with their homework. I float from student to student helping them work through problems and trying to give them new ways to view the material that may help their learning style. I work with two other tutors, and we each try to address the students' questions. The hardest part of this job is when I, or the other two tutors, am stuck on a problem the student has. At times like these, I doubt my abilities; however, working through a problem where both I and the student are stuck, helps solidify concepts in my mind and the student's mind. Last week, I helped a student study for a quiz she was taking in the immediate future. After helping her review, you could see she saw and understood the material in a new light, and was more prepared to take her quiz. This is a very rewarding part of my job.
Pros
helping students gain understanding of material, getting a math review of my own.
Cons
overwhelming at times