Smith Transport Employee Reviews

Good company Good equipment
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAMarch 16, 2015
Wasn't a bad company to work for per say. Miles can be a little short at times but never had a problem getting home time or getting home for an emergency.Good equipment
Long hours, little appreciation
Contract and Quote Processor (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAJanuary 6, 2015
Work place was like a day care, you were watched like a child during breaks. Little or no ability to be social.

Departments were set up to not work together but just to get their area ahead.

Pay is below average for amount of work required. Expected standard hours to be more then 40 hours.
Pros
a job
Cons
long hours, no appreciation, treated like children
Good company
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAOctober 21, 2014
I started in September 2014 and so far everything the recruiter told has been accurate, the company has treated me with respect and pay is correct, and been home when I was suppose to be.
Pros
good equipment and pay
Cons
ot of northeast runs
Smith Transport
Labor/ Flagger (Former Employee) –  Houston, PAOctober 8, 2014
They are good company to work for. I keep my guys safe and when they need help i'm always there to help them.
Great company to be a part of
Driver (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAJuly 30, 2014
a great company to work with. Pay & benefits are on par with industry standard, and bonus programs allow you the opportunity to add to your paycheck. Safety is a primary key and standard at Smith. The driver managers do their best to meet your family needs, as situations come up.
Pros
well maintained equipment
Cons
poor vacation pay, no holiday pay
drivers beware
driver (Former Employee) –  Roaring Springs PennsylvaniaJuly 1, 2014
well where to start I was broke down on the road for 3 days with no pay no breakdown pay Then your vacation pay is not based off what you make its a flat $450 a week they try to get you to run illegally and if you don't you don't get a lot of miles overall this was one of the worst companies I've ever worked for in my 10 plus years I've been in the industry
Pros
the management is friendly
Cons
no break down pay
Trip Pak
OTR Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Cresson, PAMay 28, 2014
Great Company until it comes to your pay. Instead of using tranflo to get pay faster and more accurate they use trip-pak that is slower then a snail and sometimes does not get there so your pay is almost nonexistent. Drivers are losing their homes and can not pay their bills on time because of payroll using trip-pak.
Pros
benefits, rider program
Cons
nonexistent pay with trip-pak
PRODUCTIVE FAST MOVING
OVER THE ROAD DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAMay 21, 2014
TO START A DAY AS IN ALL TRUCK DRIVING JOBS. PRE TRIP, PLANNING, ORGANIZE AS TO TRIP SCHEDULE . FIND TRACTOR, TRAILER AND ASSOCIATED PAPER WORK. MOST OF THE TRIPS AT SMITH WERE DROP AND HOOK, WITH A FEW A WEEK TO UNLOAD AND LOAD.
Pros
a fast paced atmosphere
Cons
dispatch would leave us at stops for long periods
STAY FAR FAR AWAY WELL SERVICES DIV
tanker driver (Former Employee) –  WilliamsportSeptember 11, 2013
DER needs to investigate environment laws broken/ wash tankers with residual waste in their wash bay @ Roaring Springs also dump water from tanks into holding pond in their parking lot
labor laws broken when working 14+ hours still had repeat had to be up by 0600 hrs to find out if you worked that day or not ,sometimes didn't find out till 0900 hrs ,but couldn't clock on till later per foreman's instructions
Cons
two sets of rules
communication to and from pickups and delivaries were sometimes not clear or changed at the last minute
driver (Current Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAJuly 1, 2013
productive with some mis communication they were good about time off for family and other personal reasons if needed dealing with hard to deal with people driving a truck and I love driving a truck
Cons
mis communication
interesting expirence
Spotter (Current Employee) –  Huston, PAJune 25, 2013
I work from 6am-6pm. I wait for a water truck to come and I spot them to back up. I make sure they do what they are suppose to. When they leave I walk around the site to make sure everything is safe. If a spill or anything wrong occurs I call Range Resources. I learned what it is like to work on a well site for long hours.
Pros
making $12 an hour
Cons
i am in the weather with no protection besides my truck, using my gas for air or heat. not enough hours.
Home time is very little.
Water Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAJune 2, 2013
A typical day starts with one of the bosses on your back about why you are not in the truck heading down the road yet. Once you are out of the yard you just hope you don't hear from one of them for the rest of the day. Most of the employees are living in a hotel and rarely go home so the stress of being away is on everyone. You generally work 12 hour shifts 5 or 6 days a week get one day off and start over.
Excelent company to work for
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAMay 16, 2013
Great company to work for, great equipment. You don't sit long waiting for a load
Good place to work. Busy but relaxed
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAApril 10, 2013
Smith Transport was one of the best places I have ever worked. The schedule was great, with four day weekends every other week. The environment was busy but relaxed in attitude. If mistakes were made, no one was blamed, all the people worked together to fix the problem.
Pros
four day weekends every other week
benefits
Very good place to work, Family atmosphere, very good place to drive for
OTR DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Roaring Springs PAMarch 4, 2013
Very good place to work. Always keeps the family in mind Very good place to work, Family atmosphere, very good place to drive for
Pros
good money
Cons
time away from family
great place to work (one of the better trucking co)
OTR Company Driver / Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAJanuary 17, 2013
Alot of driving, always learning something new about the industry,even about myself.
Some of the best team managers I've ever had the chance to work with.
The hardest part about this job was being away from home for long periods of time.
The most enjoyable part of the job was like any other job to me, it was seeing a task through from start to finish and the satisfaction upon completion
Pros
seeing different places and meeting different people from all over the country
Cons
being away from family and friends
good place too work
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 16, 2012
load ,unload shippments daily. hopping to get back to work soon this was one of my better job i've ever had.
stay away far away!!!!!!!!!
driver (Current Employee) –  roaring springs,pa.September 14, 2012
It all starts out nice. But when you go to the terminal in roaring springs,be prepared to sit from 24 to 36+ hrs.or more maybe even the whole weekend.You wont get a new truck you get a 2007-2008. With a lot of miles.Truck i was issued had 365,000 1} you wont get paid for it .which you lose time on the road. and money.2} When they {the shop}wont fix what you wrote up. As to what was wrong on the truck.depending on how old it is.My first three weeks my truck. broke down twice on the road.I lost 7 days an there again,NO MONEY.And if you do go to this terminal for repairs. You will sit and wait for a load out. Don't get hurt on the job either. You will get kicked out of the truck no matter were you are.And a driver will bring you to the closest terminal. There you will have to find your own way home. And that's the management.My DM was sad for me as to what they did. Which he was the only person who gave a dam about me as a person. Not a driver.
Pros
im finally home
Cons
owner of this co. an management team
I like them. Had a LOT worse in the last 30 years
Driver/slave (Current Employee) –  NcAugust 22, 2012
Every company has it's good and bad points. Good points: you can make good money if you want to hustle. A good relationship with your DM and he wll move mountains for you.
Bad points: Shop procedures need improvement, but they DO keep the equipment in good shape. There is NO communication within the company. Your ONLY point of contact is your DM. (the shop can't talk to safely, who can't talk to customer service etc.
Overall, I like them. I've been there 3 1/2 years. BTW, I'm on vacation in Jeju island South Korea as I write this, so I make enough to get out of town.
Pros
good pay and equip. good folks
Cons
poor intercompany communications
Not a bad place to work
driver (Former Employee) –  williamsport,paFebruary 24, 2012
The water truck division provides top quality equipment and the opportunity to be at home often.
Pros
predictable but challenging work, reasonable wages
Cons
no advancement opportunity