Smith Transport Employee Reviews

lack of advancement opportunity with low pay.
Parts and Warranty (Current Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PASeptember 21, 2017
slow paced working conditions, low pay with a lack of premium management material in all departments. there is relatively no opportunity for advancement throughout company. business is family owned and operated and all major positions are filled by family members creating problems with all the issues I mentioned. there is a huge lack of emphasis on employees working in the shop and office next door, the truck drivers are constantly being awarded and constantly reminded how important they are which is true but all other employees are NEVER mentions and overlooked.
Pros
job security
Cons
low pay
star wars type situation
Driver Engineer (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 5, 2017
everyone in management wants to be important, and could not understand the stress of driving , but had to do to get paid , long delays , problem getting money when had to unload
Pros
nothing
Cons
no breaks
Good Company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PASeptember 4, 2017
Smith was a good company. Trucks and trailers worked well and I never had any issues with dispatch. I liked how they gave me the option to be home every weekend or every other weekend
Pros
Nice trucks and trailers
Cons
Good but not great pay
Wonderful Company
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAMay 26, 2017
Working at Smith Transport was the greatest. They were all like family. You would have drivers come in off the road after a week and they would still have a huge smile on face. This company goes beyond GREAT. Leaving Smith due to the transportation 2 hours one way was the hardest thing I had to do. It was like leaving my second family. I still keep in contact with them.
Pros
Always treated as you are family
Cons
nothing
Came naturally
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAApril 17, 2017
Being a Diesel Technician for Smith Transport was one of my favorite positions. Getting my hands dirty was a joy and the men I met are still friends to this day. I'm grateful for all I learned, most of which I have used in my personal life.
Typical trucking company
Class A CDL Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAApril 10, 2017
The same as with the majority of trucking company. Details aren't very clear. When they say you're one in one position you find yourself in something completely different
Productive workplace to work
Dedicated Site Manager for PepsiCo (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 20, 2017
My typically day as a Dedicatated Site Manager for Smith Transportat at PepsiCo including direct support of Prodution Lines, customer, suppliers, and bottlelers. Providing on call assistance to all 24/7. Mangers equipment and office personell.
The most difficult part was alligning my resources based on a changing production schedule.
The most enjoyable part was building relationships with customers, clients and coworkers.
Pros
Networking, On site Facilites
Cons
Demanding, long hours
small number of employees not much teamwork
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Remington, INMarch 18, 2017
Smith's is just a warehouse with no production. We store and ship products and materials for several companies. Less then a dozen employees each sort of designated to a company and assists with others as needed.
Pros
my schedule 9:00am to 5:30pm
Cons
various pays for doing same work. lack of raises, advancement, and no future.
Ok for a first job
Parts Technician (Current Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PA 16673March 13, 2017
If you are looking to advance in your career and do something with your life,this is not the place for you. They dont value employees, your co workers have 0 respect for you. You are not valued unless you have ties with the family that owns the company
Fun place to work
Diesel Technician (Current Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PANovember 1, 2016
Great people to work for and with. Co-workers are always will to lend a hand when you need it and it goes all the way up the management chain.
I wish i hadnt had to leave
Local Jockey (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PASeptember 19, 2016
There were a few things I would change, but all in all, I loved them. Like, seriously. I felt at home and they took very good care of me
I was a local jockey, but I've heard good things about their otr staff as well.
Pros
Paid orientation, decent wages, felt like family
Cons
Shoddy local equipment, no bonuses for local drivers.
Smith Transport
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Remington, INAugust 24, 2016
A typical day consisted of picking up the loads and delivering them. 90 percent of the time was driving. The management was always great and easy to get along with.
great company to work for
Shop Foreman / ERS Manager (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAAugust 17, 2016
fast paced shop / moderen equipment / training and education are foremost of importance / company is very family oriented / very upbeat and plesant atmosophere / a bit light on payscale in the maintance dept. but overall great people.
Long hours and very hard work.
Truck Driver (over-the-road) (Current Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAJuly 17, 2016
I receive a pre-plan from my driver manager through the on board computer. I am an over the road truck driver. I have a 14 hour work day. I stay mainly on the east coast. The very first thing I do is a pre-trip inspection on the tractor then I pick up an empty trailer and take it to the shipper where it gets loaded. I also pick up the bills. I then drive, fuel up, and head towards the receiver. I stay in contact with the company and any changes they may have. We use and on board computer for messages. When I get to the receiver, they unload the trailer or I leave it and pick up an empty. I then make sure the bills get to the management of the company I am delivering to. I average about 3000 miles a week. If there is any problem with the load or my equipment I let my company know right away. I have learned how to be ready for bad road conditions and for any backups on the road. Even though it's not required, I do a post-trip inspection on the tractor trailer, so I am prepared.
Pros
Time management, logistics, see a lot of the country.
Cons
Away from home too much, the pay is low and bad equipment.
Dont break down or youll loose your butt.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Remington, INMay 31, 2016
After being in 6 trucks in 4 month, enough is enough. They don't care that your down, don't pay you for being down. New drivers are more important to this company than it's current drivers. So if you do break down, you will sit because even though they have trucks open, they are already assigned to New people coming out of orientation. I broke down on a friday, orientation lets out on Thursdays. I couldn't get another truck cause they were saving them for the next class. Their shops are nothing but a joke. Say they fix an air leak. Go out to the truck, still loose air, and they say run it for now, or you don't have an air leak, or better yet they couldn't find it.
Pros
Cons
Shop, no breakdown pay, trucks, dispatch.......
Technician (Current Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAApril 26, 2016
Very busy days
I've learned more about the def systems
Management is good
I have a great group of coworkers
The hardest part is the paperwork
I enjoy mostly doing a/c work
Cdl trainer position
CDL DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAMarch 23, 2016
I started out as a new driver and within one year went on to be cdl trainer. Company supported me in all my goals and kept me very busy with refrigerated division and dry van division.
Pros
Pre=planned on loads
Cons
Time off
Poor employment
Over The Road Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAJuly 29, 2015
A typical day included driving for 11 hours and delivering customer freight to various accounts. One on one contact with customer representatives.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Insufficient pay
Good company Good equipment
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAMarch 16, 2015
Wasn't a bad company to work for per say. Miles can be a little short at times but never had a problem getting home time or getting home for an emergency.Good equipment
Long hours, little appreciation
Contract and Quote Processor (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAJanuary 6, 2015
Work place was like a day care, you were watched like a child during breaks. Little or no ability to be social.

Departments were set up to not work together but just to get their area ahead.

Pay is below average for amount of work required. Expected standard hours to be more then 40 hours.
Pros
A job
Cons
long hours, no appreciation, treated like children