Smith Transport Employee Reviews

I wish i hadnt had to leave
Local Jockey (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PASeptember 19, 2016
There were a few things I would change, but all in all, I loved them. Like, seriously. I felt at home and they took very good care of me
I was a local jockey, but I've heard good things about their otr staff as well.
Pros
Paid orientation, decent wages, felt like family
Cons
Shoddy local equipment, no bonuses for local drivers.
Smith Transport
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Remington, INAugust 24, 2016
A typical day consisted of picking up the loads and delivering them. 90 percent of the time was driving. The management was always great and easy to get along with.
great company to work for
Shop Foreman / ERS Manager (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAAugust 17, 2016
fast paced shop / moderen equipment / training and education are foremost of importance / company is very family oriented / very upbeat and plesant atmosophere / a bit light on payscale in the maintance dept. but overall great people.
Long hours and very hard work.
Truck Driver (over-the-road) (Current Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAJuly 17, 2016
I receive a pre-plan from my driver manager through the on board computer. I am an over the road truck driver. I have a 14 hour work day. I stay mainly on the east coast. The very first thing I do is a pre-trip inspection on the tractor then I pick up an empty trailer and take it to the shipper where it gets loaded. I also pick up the bills. I then drive, fuel up, and head towards the receiver. I stay in contact with the company and any changes they may have. We use and on board computer for messages. When I get to the receiver, they unload the trailer or I leave it and pick up an empty. I then make sure the bills get to the management of the company I am delivering to. I average about 3000 miles a week. If there is any problem with the load or my equipment I let my company know right away. I have learned how to be ready for bad road conditions and for any backups on the road. Even though it's not required, I do a post-trip inspection on the tractor trailer, so I am prepared.
Pros
Time management, logistics, see a lot of the country.
Cons
Away from home too much, the pay is low and bad equipment.
Dont break down or youll loose your butt.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Remington, INMay 31, 2016
After being in 6 trucks in 4 month, enough is enough. They don't care that your down, don't pay you for being down. New drivers are more important to this company than it's current drivers. So if you do break down, you will sit because even though they have trucks open, they are already assigned to New people coming out of orientation. I broke down on a friday, orientation lets out on Thursdays. I couldn't get another truck cause they were saving them for the next class. Their shops are nothing but a joke. Say they fix an air leak. Go out to the truck, still loose air, and they say run it for now, or you don't have an air leak, or better yet they couldn't find it.
Pros
Cons
Shop, no breakdown pay, trucks, dispatch.......
Technician (Current Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAApril 26, 2016
Very busy days
I've learned more about the def systems
Management is good
I have a great group of coworkers
The hardest part is the paperwork
I enjoy mostly doing a/c work
Cdl trainer position
CDL DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAMarch 23, 2016
I started out as a new driver and within one year went on to be cdl trainer. Company supported me in all my goals and kept me very busy with refrigerated division and dry van division.
Pros
PRE=PLANNED ON LOADS
Cons
TIME OFF
Poor employment
Over The Road Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAJuly 29, 2015
A typical day included driving for 11 hours and delivering customer freight to various accounts. One on one contact with customer representatives.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Insufficient pay
Good company Good equipment
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAMarch 16, 2015
Wasn't a bad company to work for per say. Miles can be a little short at times but never had a problem getting home time or getting home for an emergency.Good equipment
Long hours, little appreciation
Contract and Quote Processor (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAJanuary 6, 2015
Work place was like a day care, you were watched like a child during breaks. Little or no ability to be social.

Departments were set up to not work together but just to get their area ahead.

Pay is below average for amount of work required. Expected standard hours to be more then 40 hours.
Pros
A job
Cons
long hours, no appreciation, treated like children

Want to know more about Smith Transport?

Ask a question
Good company
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAOctober 21, 2014
I started in September 2014 and so far everything the recruiter told has been accurate, the company has treated me with respect and pay is correct, and been home when I was suppose to be.
Pros
Good equipment and pay
Cons
ot of northeast runs
Smith Transport
Labor/ Flagger (Former Employee) –  Houston, PAOctober 8, 2014
They are good company to work for. I keep my guys safe and when they need help i'm always there to help them.
Great company to be a part of
Driver (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAJuly 30, 2014
a great company to work with. Pay & benefits are on par with industry standard, and bonus programs allow you the opportunity to add to your paycheck. Safety is a primary key and standard at Smith. The driver managers do their best to meet your family needs, as situations come up.
Pros
well maintained equipment
Cons
poor vacation pay, no holiday pay
drivers beware
driver (Former Employee) –  Roaring Springs PennsylvaniaJuly 1, 2014
well where to start I was broke down on the road for 3 days with no pay no breakdown pay Then your vacation pay is not based off what you make its a flat $450 a week they try to get you to run illegally and if you don't you don't get a lot of miles overall this was one of the worst companies I've ever worked for in my 10 plus years I've been in the industry
Pros
the management is friendly
Cons
no break down pay
Trip Pak
OTR Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Cresson, PAMay 28, 2014
Great Company until it comes to your pay. Instead of using tranflo to get pay faster and more accurate they use trip-pak that is slower then a snail and sometimes does not get there so your pay is almost nonexistent. Drivers are losing their homes and can not pay their bills on time because of payroll using trip-pak.
Pros
benefits, rider program
Cons
nonexistent pay with Trip-pak
Productive fast moving
OVER THE ROAD DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAMay 21, 2014
To start a day as in all truck driving jobs. Pre trip, planning, organize as to trip schedule . Find tractor, trailer and associated paper work. Most of the trips at smith were drop and hook, with a few a week to unload and load.
Pros
A FAST PACED ATMOSPHERE
Cons
DISPATCH WOULD LEAVE US AT STOPS FOR LONG PERIODS
Stay far far away well services div
tanker driver (Former Employee) –  WilliamsportSeptember 11, 2013
DER needs to investigate environment laws broken/ wash tankers with residual waste in their wash bay @ Roaring Springs also dump water from tanks into holding pond in their parking lot
labor laws broken when working 14+ hours still had repeat had to be up by 0600 hrs to find out if you worked that day or not ,sometimes didn't find out till 0900 hrs ,but couldn't clock on till later per foreman's instructions
Pros
NONE
Cons
two sets of rules
communication to and from pickups and delivaries were sometimes not clear or changed at the last minute
driver (Current Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAJuly 1, 2013
productive with some mis communication they were good about time off for family and other personal reasons if needed dealing with hard to deal with people driving a truck and I love driving a truck
Pros
Cons
mis communication
interesting expirence
Spotter (Current Employee) –  Huston, PAJune 25, 2013
I work from 6am-6pm. I wait for a water truck to come and I spot them to back up. I make sure they do what they are suppose to. When they leave I walk around the site to make sure everything is safe. If a spill or anything wrong occurs I call Range Resources. I learned what it is like to work on a well site for long hours.
Pros
making $12 an hour
Cons
I am in the weather with no protection besides my truck, using my gas for air or heat. Not enough hours.
Home time is very little.
Water Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Roaring Spring, PAJune 2, 2013
A typical day starts with one of the bosses on your back about why you are not in the truck heading down the road yet. Once you are out of the yard you just hope you don't hear from one of them for the rest of the day. Most of the employees are living in a hotel and rarely go home so the stress of being away is on everyone. You generally work 12 hour shifts 5 or 6 days a week get one day off and start over.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smith Transport. Our community is ready to answer.