Smithfield Foods Employee Reviews

Very Cool place to work
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCJanuary 26, 2017
Overall great place to work, can meet alot of great people, head manager is very cool person, supervisors can be cool depending on who. Strict and has a no tolerance for lateness and being absent but is understanding, cafeteria workers are wonderful, great food and reasonable prices, shows appreciation for there employees, human resource workers can be unfair and disrespectful. easy work to do no matter the position.
Pros
Great pay, raises, great bonuses, vacation time, awesome healthcare plans, also life insurance packages
Cons
Short breaks, work alot of weekends, require to work during some weather types, point system is ridiculous
Find a different job
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Junction City, KSJanuary 26, 2017
Depending on the department, the work is not that bad. Long work hours and not enough days off. They work on a 7 point system. You work 12 hour shifts and mostly 6 days a week, 5 days if you're lucky. This company only cares about production and in my opinion they couldn't care less about the conditions the employees have to work in to push out the product. No sick time. You get vacation time after one year of employment BUT if short staffed you won't be able to use your vacation time. I would not recommend this job if you have a family and enjoy spending time with them.
Great benefits and good pay
Shipping Loader (Former Employee) –  Tarheel, NCFebruary 15, 2017
The benefits are great and pay is good for the area. Working as a team with fellow employees, superintendents and supervisors was enjoyable. The cold temperatures were very harsh to work in. Upper management and human resources are not very employee friendly. This is a union company, but the union is pretty much useless. Worked in the same position in this plant for fourteen years, and have seen this plant become increasingly employee unfriendly over the years.
Benefits
Cons
Not very employee friendly
Very hard work and hot
perduction worker (Current Employee) –  Tar Heel, NCJanuary 8, 2017
*Hot (60 to 100 degrees), bloody, hard work(constantly standing and moving around), nasty(feces,Yaren,abscess)
*Good hand eye coordination, how to work smarter, and how to pace myself.
*Strict on attendance, tardiness, and work performance the company only allows each empolee 6 points anything after 6 you will be terminated .
*Experienced production workers that work hard
*The whole entire job is intense
* The last five minuets when I'm about to go home
Pros
the rate of pay
Cons
short breaks
Job
General production - packaging (Current Employee) –  Grayson, KYJanuary 7, 2017
Work isn't really hard. The work week can be anything from four days to a seven day work week. Like any other job you'll work there you find people you like and don't like. There is three breaks for each line; first and last break is fifteen minutes and the second break is thirty minutes. You will get a dollar incentive for showing up everyday. Smithfield has a good insurance plan that includes dental and vision plans plus a life insurance.
Pros
Friendly people
Terrible place
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, VAJanuary 4, 2017
Thought when i first got hired that it was going to be a great place to work at but i found out differently. The only thing they care about is production and not much of a family oriented place. They place you on a point system and work you 7 days a week like a slave and exepect you not to miss days out the whole year. You dont earn sick leave until almost a year after your hire date. I dont recommend this place if you are trying to have a life outside of work because you wont get it!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours in peak..dont care about family life
Productive fast environment
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Tar Heel, NCDecember 19, 2016
Typical day can be fast depending on the hog kill I learn how to stack different ways to fit the truck management was straight forward people coworkers easy to get along wIthaca. The hardest part is making sure you had good pallets that wasn't to bad. The best part it was kind of a workout kept me and shape.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Summer time work slow winter time you get lots of hours
There was no Union when I worked Here!!!!
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Tar Heel, NCJanuary 12, 2017
Pleasant and secure environment everyday. I've taken in many skills and knowledge to this factory. Supervisors were fair and demanded your absolute best. Co- workers were OK and listened for the most part. There were no challenging parts to my position. The most enjoyable part of my position was being a team leader.
Pros
The pay was very inviting.
Long hours, management disrespectful and inconsiderate.
Hambone (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, VAJanuary 4, 2017
I consider that place to be no better than a sweat shop or slave camp.Take care of their workers financially however as an overall your health and well being has no merit nor is warranted any concern.
Pros
Medical and health benefits for family.
Cons
Probationary period is in fair and quite unwarranted.
It's a very productive fast pace environment with many opportunities to make a car
Operator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 18, 2016
Smithfield Farmland is a whole meat processing and packing plant which delivers goods to public stores. It's a company with 4 departments and each department has supervisors as well as assistant supervisors.
There are four departments; processing, smoke house, packing,and shipping
Pros
Healthcare, free lunch break, bonus
Cons
Poor leadership
Arkeather Jordan
certified,tucker,,arranger, and die checker (Current Employee) –  Wilson, NCDecember 4, 2016
A very productive and fun work place with good people. I have learned alot . I know how to run a machine, arrange, tuck, and pack.. I love working for Smithfield Packing its such a great company.
Pros
free birthday lunches and you can also earn a free vacation day
Cons
breaks are to short wish i had more time
Job requirement
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, VANovember 9, 2016
Provided a safe and self suffient operation as long as you follow the guidelines setforth by the management. I loved my job! Wish i could get back. Working around older individuals giving the youngsters pointers was very helpful.
Pros
Well kept eating area, nice food
Cons
Short breaks, almost forced to eat on site since everything is so far
productive and high pace work
Packaging/Weight Checker (Former Employee) –  Saint James, MN 56081December 30, 2016
Morning shift work days start with grabbing totes from sanitation room and drying them. After, place them on line you work at and starting putting the rest of the equipment used on the line. People with talk to you and laugh with trying to make the work day faster and easier. If you are quiet they will insist you talk anyway, which isnt a bad thing at all. Supervisors are very nice will put themselves where you are (if they are not busy) if you have to use the restroom or need to get a drink of water. The hardest part of the job is how cold it is, but if you dress accordingly you wont get as cold. Wear lays of clothes and double socks or very insulated shoes. Most enjoyable part is lunch break because a lot of the co-workers like to bring extra food and if they see you didn't bring anything or are just friendly, they offer you some food, which is usually very good.
Pros
Good hours and pay
Cons
Employees can be overwhelming
productive workplace
Gamble Hogs, Push Hogs, Indec Table etc (Former Employee) –  Tar Heel, NCJanuary 10, 2017
good environment
I learned a lot of work ethic skills
supervisors are very well trained and helpful
employees are always helping
the hardest part of the job was leaving
the most fun part of the job was the money and meeting new people.
benefits
Cons
short breaks
I did everything you need to do to raise pigs.
Herd Technician at Circle Four Farms (Former Employee) –  Milford, UTDecember 15, 2016
I learned how to better take care of animals involving everything from moving them to administering medication. I also learned good people skills and communication, good team building skills as well.
Pros
Good incentives
Cons
complicated solutions to simple problems
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Greenfield, INOctober 23, 2016
You are supposed to work 4- 10 hour days, but are sent home early almost everyday. They guaranteed 40 hours, but you are lucky to get 30 - 35 hours, No positive feedback to employees. Nothing seems good enough.
Pros
co workers
Cons
schedule, breaks too short, employee inputdoesn't seem to matter
Could not understand the language they speak.
Auger Operator (Former Employee) –  Peru, INDecember 13, 2016
I learned to manage a team and to fix machines while also learning more ways to better perform task and better perform with people to understand them better I am a very well liked person I strongly know how to lead.
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
short break
Great experience
Line Leader/puller/packagee (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDJanuary 17, 2017
I really had a great experience working at Smithfield the management was very respectful they also treated me with respect a day they also put me in a position to be a leader and I had a overall wonderful experience working for Smithfield
I was a crew leader.
crew leader (Former Employee) –  Kinston, NCFebruary 7, 2017
I loved working for smithfield packing. The work there was not hard at all. The management where all really nice. As long as you showed up and was willing to work everything was well. One of the best palaces I have worked for.
Pros
insurance, bank time
Cons
no cons
Productive and good to work at
Ham Packer (Former Employee) –  Kinston, NCFebruary 15, 2017
How to pack hams and put them in boxes to be sent out, assisting with others to complete daily tasks. It wasn't to hard once you learn it, the job was okay. I enjoyed everyday I worked because I enjoy being around people. I'm a peoples person.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smithfield Foods. Our community is ready to answer.