Smithfield Foods Employee Reviews in United States

Worst production facility to work
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, VAMay 4, 2016
This facility has a very high turnover. Upper management makes promises to supervisor to get them in the door, then don't hold up their agreement after hired. Average work day for supervisors range between 12-15 hours. Plant manager has made it mandatory that all salary employees work a minumum of 12 hours a day. Raises and bonuses are not the full incentive as your contract. Within the last month 16 salary employees have resigned or been terminated on false acquisitions. I wouldn't refer anyone to this facility.
Pros
Salary and bonuses
Cons
Long hours, terrible management, no time for family, 6 day work week
very productive
packer (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, VAApril 28, 2016
A typical day at work we come in read the schedule and proceed to get the orders out it was always something new to learn weather it was about the product of the order itself management could be very understanding in serious situations co-workers were a joy to work with and the job wasn't hard it was just very cold so that would be the only issue at times and the most enjoyable part was completing the job and getting all orders out complete and in a timely manner.
Pros
everything was pretty good we jsut needed a longer lunch break
Cons
short breaks
Be upbeat and Have a Good Day
Hourly Worker & Volunteer Safety Team Member (Former Employee) –  Crete, NEApril 8, 2016
Be on time, be friendly to others, work with all the different cultures and be positive. Care about all employees and do the best you can. If you're uncertain about a task, then ask management so that you complete task correctly. I learned how important safety is in the work place and enjoyed improving safety procedures on a daily basis. Most enjoyable part of my job was when I was asked to sing Happy Birthday to almost anyone within the work place and how it created smiles!
Pros
Honor awards for longevity employment within the company
Cons
Early breaks, often cut short by minute or two for hourly employees
I love this place at work form the people iwork with to the head bosses..just wish i had more time with school ,family,and friends
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Monmouth, ILMarch 30, 2016
A typical day at work for me would be joyous I love the people I work with and my team we work hard.We turn on our music and go get the work done.I learn how our meat is process its very fascinating.The hardest part of my job is communication because most of us do not understand each other we speak different languages.but we mange to get through.The must enjoyable part is meeting new people,and doing different jobs. I love to learn different things and work with people from other counties.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
the smell
It is a good place to make money but they expect too much from you.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Milan, MOMarch 27, 2016
The work is ok for the most part but too many hours is hard on your body. It is a very physical job. Management varies, some are good and some not so good. Some co-workers get away with too much, the rules are not always enforced.
The hardest part of the job is getting two days off for Christmas and then having to make them up the next two Saturdays. Working too many Saturdays and missing too much family time.
The best part of the job is the steady work and the ability to choose your own job after you have been there awhile.
Pros
Health Insurance, Good Pay
Cons
Too many hours, Every holiday has to be made up on Saturdays. Not enough time off.
Tough and fast pace work place with not enough time to make hours
Reject Belly Trimmer (Current Employee) –  Tar Heel, NCApril 24, 2016
A typical day at work is entering the floor by 4:00p.m. and coming in to an excessive amount of rework to correct from the first shift, on top of the cut that we already have to get through for our shift. So about 45 combos of rework and the pig count would be about 12,500. We have to get through all that work as machines working on a line in a short amount of time and being off the floor before 8 hours. The job tends to be extremely hard to manage due to the management miscommunication on the floor with the rest of the team. The most enjoyable part of the day is the co-workers and the team on the line in which I work. The individuals that are apart of my line help it go by quicker and a little more fun.
Pros
Incentive Pay of $0.20cents
Cons
Short Breaks
smithfield
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Clinton, NCJanuary 28, 2016
management lack the basic work knowledge for its own company policies

employee have no value to or in this company

condition are unsafe and disgusting

my co worker are great

the hardest part having to work with inferior and out dated machines work tool or the lack of having tool and proper equipment to do the job correctly instead of having to repeatedly fix the same machine

best part working with my crew and going home saftely
Pros
good money
Cons
the job in a whole
Great place to advance quickly
Butcher/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Tar Heel, NCJanuary 28, 2016
-12 hour work shifts
-I learned that there is more to a job than just work I met plenty of friends from different walk of life
-The managers were hands on if you needed any help
-My co-worker were excellent, the made my day fun other than just a boring day at work
-The hardest part of the job was maintaining the factory line but as time went on you begin to keep up with the factory line
-The most enjoyable part of the day is the end of the day, knowing that you helped thousands of people put food on there plates
Pros
Networking with others is one of the best qualitys
Cons
You have to pay for lunch and long lines for parking
Cold an hard work place
Production Line Technician (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCJanuary 12, 2016
Smithfield is all what you make out of it. Its always cold people really don't like working there. The management is fair you have your understanding mangers but you also have the "I don't want to be here I just want a check mangers". Coworkers don't last at this job you have to make yourself want to work. What make the job so hard is when one mess up its everyone fault. Only thing is worth work there is for the benefits and you have a check.
Smithfield Foods
Production Worker/maintence (Former Employee) –  Tar Heel, NCMay 17, 2016
working at Smithfield Food was a great experience showed me many ways to be a hard and steady worker. great hours pay benefits was more than enough. employees was ok. most of the job I was back and forth steady doing my jobs and others.
Pros
good hours, holiday pay.
Cons
improper management training
Loved the people and the opportunities for growth.
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kinston, NCDecember 18, 2015
Smithfield Packing is a wonderful company to be employed by and it offers room for advancement within the company if you work hard and can handle the hours. I enjoyed my time there immensely and would still be there if I had not relocated to an area that didn't have a Smithfield Plant...
Pros
Good people, good balance of respect and determination throughout
Cons
Cold environment is hard on the body for so many long hours
comfortable and stable environment.
Meat cutter (Current Employee) –  Clinton, NCApril 3, 2016
Great place to work. Its a great experience. Everyday is a cold day inside, considering its a pork plant. Never really had any problems other than trying to keep my knife sharp. there were times when my knife was so dull, i got really frustrated.
Extremely productive and great work environment
production line worker (Former Employee) –  Tar Heel, NCJanuary 24, 2016
The job was a well paying company that employed many people of all backgrounds and culture. It offered plenty levels of advancement and benefits. Management worked well with their employees and rarely couldn't solve an issue promptly and with tact.
I really love cooperation with others
orderly and attractive work environment (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCDecember 9, 2015
I am a nice person and all the time trying to have a better relation with my co-workers. I like to listen and understand all the people issues and the best way possible to get resolve their problems. I enjoyable working under pressure. I also promise to apply all the requisitions of my supervisor or the company policy.
Ok place to work to pay the bills
Production Worker / Receving (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 18, 2016
A typical day at work was okay if you knew where you were working that day and if the supervisors were in a good mood and knew what was going on that day
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
supervisors and hostel environment
Decent job
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Greenfield, INMay 16, 2016
Compensation is a issue. The job itself is almost too easy. The benefits aren't the greatest but your guarenteed your hours. I learned a lot there but there isn't really room for advancement.
Pros
good hours
Cons
short breaks, bad pay
Its a pork plant.
Production Supervisor, commercial product manager (Former Employee) –  Tar Heel, NCMarch 19, 2016
Not much to say, Tar heel is the largest in the world. Amazing benefits, with annual bonuses of up to 15 percent. Long hours, sometimes 14 a day.
Pros
Salaries, bonuses
Cons
short breaks, high turnover.
enviroment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCDecember 28, 2015
the office staff was OK; the management, President and VP, were excellent. the floor supervisors were prejudice, unconcerned and just want to get the work out, no concern about the health of the employee.
Pros
free meal every now and then
Cons
short breaks; unconcern about its workers and prejudice
Prodution
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Tar Heel, NCDecember 15, 2015
My main responsibility was performing shipping and receiving duties. I pulled and stocked orders in a temperature controlled setting. It was also my duty to report any overages, shortages, or damages from the delivery to the appropriate agents, and follow packing instructions as indicated by paperwork.
Great paying job
Wizard Knife Operator (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMay 3, 2016
It is grantee full time and mandatory over time during the holidays. I was able to save enough to get a new dependable car off the Car lot. I was paid every week on time.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Very Very Very Hard work.