Smiths Detection Employee Reviews in United States

Stay far far away
Service (Current Employee) –  Edgewood, MDDecember 15, 2015
What began as a great company to work for has slowly turned into the worst company. Management is completely out of touch. Decisions are made without thought of how it will impact the business. Management is hired with no clue of how to do the job, no desire to learn and no push from their boss to learn the job to then effectively coach their teams to be better. Departments work against each other and do nothing but point fingers at each other while customers suffer. There are few people in each department who really know and do their job and so they become overworked, while others get away with their inadequacies and inability of correctly do the job. No parts to fix the units. No training or mentoring program. No raises or bonuses. No profit sharing. No job security. Multiple sites have closed which has only enabled the company to stay afloat this long. Company defaults on their contracts with customers and are on the brink of the inevitable. .....the doors closing.
Pros
Close to home and t
Cons
Everything.
Co workers know how to work as a team
Employee (Current Employee) –  Alcoa, TNOctober 11, 2015
Upper management is out of touch with its employees. No work life balance. Co workers are great to work with. No raises or bonus given in 5 years.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No increases in compensation
I loved working there
Lead Buyer (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTFebruary 21, 2016
I loved working there. Had the real small business atmosphere. They really cared about the employees and had a great work life balance. Too bad they closed.
Treated me well through the years but...
Front office (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTSeptember 15, 2014
I worked in the Danbury, CT location which had a great culture and a great atmosphere...but that office is closing in 2015 and moving to Maryland.

In the height of Smiths success it was an energetic and motivating place to work. But upper management and their "decision making" has ultimately lead to the downfall of this company. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

The pay is not competitive with today's market, and the business has not given raises or yearly bonuses in 6+ years. Yet, upper mgmt still pumps our their propaganda about "great successes...employee engagement...goals of the business - bla bla bla".

Upper management is completely unattached to the feelings and needs of the "common man." And morale couldn't be lower.
Pros
work-life balance, flexibility
Cons
underpaid, no incentives, too many chiefs and not enough indians
Great Employer with continued growth opportunities.
Product/Cost Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDDecember 5, 2012
A typical day at work often times meant tackling multiple costing issues. Reviewing production and inventory records and responding to department heads and upper manage via adhoc reporting.

I learned to be prepared and mostly proactive in order to address any challenges presented during the day and course of my career.

Management was knowledgeable in running the business.

The co-workers were kind and pleasant to work with.

The hardest part of the job was leaving each day to go home. I enjoyed the work and job responsibilities I was assigned.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendship I developed and the ability to grow within the company and work and be part of a unified team environment.
Pros
wonderful people, great benefits, annual company picnic, forward looking company
Cons
failure to compensate specific employees on a routine basis; merit/bonus
Started out fantastic, but far from there now
Operations (Former Employee) –  EdgewoodApril 8, 2013
Started out really great, great technology, people, place to work. Being 90% DOD reliant has had the site on edge for years, not knowing when or if the next contract was coming in. Not to mention the influx of new management, which doesn’t appear to be working out as planned. For now, not too stable, maybe after the DOD cutbacks are known and management has some time to figure out what to do and get on the same page.
Pros
defense industry, great people
Cons
defense industry, advancement, compensation, management
Good first job but there are better places to work.
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Morristown, TNJune 1, 2015
Takes way too much effort to get anything done. This is what happens when you let shareholders run your company. No one wants to spend money, so all processes become very ineffecient and this is aggravated by taking on newer and more tenuously feasible obligations to customers in hopes of generating revenue.
Pros
Good people, little dirt. Air conditioning and heat. Free coffee and wifi.
Cons
The top management.
My Day
Production technician B (Current Employee) –  Edgewood, MDFebruary 17, 2015
Normally an eight hour day starting at 7 o'clock, The project that I am assigned to is the CXS Conventional X-Ray Systems, myself and three other technicians have the duties to commission, repair, troubleshoot and install all CXS. The different types of X-Rays go from the standard 6040i ones you would probably see at a courthouse to a 6040aTix mostly seen at airports. Most commissioning process takes anywhere from four to six hours to complete. Good place to work, a lot of hands on and will keep you moving all day.
Pros
overall good workplace, would recommend to anyone.
Cons
management sometimes falls behind on ordering parts and materials and causes for a lot of downtime.
Bad management led to unhealthy work situation for many employees. Company ultimately closed their NJ offices.
Senior Credit & Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Morristown, NJApril 23, 2015
Customer account management which consisted of daily collection of past due balances, credit application reviews and overall accounting duties.

Management was poor. Oppressed and micro-managed on a near constant basis.
Pros
Close to home, pay was decent.
Cons
Bad management
Large up scale company with many opportunities for advancement.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Morristown, NJMay 12, 2015
SMITHS provides many opportunities in the security industries that provides both sales and service to many high end (mainly government) customers.
Pros
Provides many health benifits
Cons
Can be so large making it difficult to get things done.
Review
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDMay 29, 2013
It was rewarding to work for a company that made industry leading products that screened for threats and potentially saved the lives of others.
Pros
good culture, life work balance, good location
Cons
not many growth opportunities, heavily relied on government funding, compensation and benefits
Overworked
Finance (Current Employee) –  Edgewood, MDAugust 13, 2014
Smiths Detection has a lot of great employees and interesting products but unfortunately, I would not recommend it as a career choice. It could be a great place to work but the majority of the day is spent putting out fires set by upper management.
Pros
great people
Cons
long work days
Exciting.
Product Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Township of Warren, NJJanuary 6, 2014
Deployed to customer site to repair equipment or conduct training, 90% was planned and you were given way advance notice. Sometimes worked in shop repairing or building new equipment.

Learned of a unique and very interesting technology. Acquired a tremendous understanding of how Governmental Agencies operate.

Management was outstanding, all resources were provided and support was excellent.

This was one of the most enjoyable places to work for, we got along like a large family and teamwork was excellent.

There was no hard part of this job.

Working with the different agencies to develop new ways utilizing our equipment in stopping the bad guys. Cat and mouse feeling.
Pros
exciting. annual company picnic. knowing everyone by face and name.
Cons
none.
Primarily manufacturing organization
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Edgewood, MDJuly 24, 2012
Manufacturing organization focused on military and homeland security products. Many layers of management can make decisions difficult.
Pros
good location
Cons
limited room for advancement
Great product but management team does not work toward common goals.
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDJune 6, 2012
Working for Smiths I learned about the crucial need to protect our country from Biochemical warfare. The company creates very good products that detect these potential threats.

Due to 90% dependence on government contracts the company has become extremely unstable and has laid off over 30% of the workforce over the past year and those numbers will increase as they close one of the German plants later in 2012.

One of the weaknesses of this company is the lack of direction and strength with the management team.
Pros
working to build products that protect our country
Cons
instability of business due to 90% dependence on government contracts
Great people and work environment
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTJanuary 19, 2015
This was an ideal place to retire from. Great products that served the betterment of homeland security. Facinating technology among an array of different devices. Great pay and benefits, and on the job perks. Developed great co-worker relationships that created a "family" atmosphere.
Productive and robust
Zone Manager/ Lead Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  EdgewoodJune 30, 2015
I have a great time working in the company as well as with my peers. Very challenging and most of all our equipment and service is protecting a lot of people in this world!
An English company that treated Americans differently than the English Employees
Microbiologist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 27, 2012
We worked at separate tasks, but often worked together as a team very successfully.

I learned a good deal about microbiological cell culture.

Loved my boss.

Loved my co-workers

The hardest part of the job was our plant shutdown.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working together with my colleagues.
Pros
my fellow employees
Cons
english company that treated the english employees better than the americans.
Wonderful coworkers but it is not the same company it used to be.
Senior Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Edgewood, MDJune 13, 2014
About three years ago Senior Management started to leave. We all started to think this can't be good. That did not concern me, my manager was there, and let me tell you, he is everything a manager should be. He had the perfect balance between supervisor and employee advocate. he protected the people below him and treated every customer with care and respect. As a Result we( all of us )would do anything for him and the company. He knew the job technically, he knew his people and their capabilities and he knew the customers. because of him the department was rated very highly nationally.
a short time later the Assistant manager resigned. Another very smart capable person that left. now it is getting closer to home but I still had that manager.

a short time later all of the rest of senior management left with in a month. then came the announcement operations in New Jersey are ending and the building is being closed. that is OK most of us work out of our houses.But it was not OK that manager was forced to retire and all the call center people and lab technicians were let go. all at once. those that were left have to pull triple duty. while the operation was relocated to Maryland and an entire fork force was hired and trained from the ground up. Logistically there are a lot of spinning wheels. Never enough time to do the job right but always enough time to do it over. A lot of pass the buck.
My advice to you - if you are a good worker they will work you. if you are not a good worker they will not work you as long as you act like a good worker.
Pros
all the over time you can handle
Cons
long hours, you can not refuse any overtime and you are on call 24/7
Unbelievably poorly run organization….
High Tech Employee (Former Employee) –  High Tech EmployeeOctober 31, 2014
Worked at the Danbury facility for many years with wonderful, hardworking, brilliant team of individuals. Would go to battle with those folks any day!

However, the Sr. Leadership team and Corporate organization is in shambles and unbelievably poorly run. Division is a smaller business of a rather stodge British conglomerate so its heavily burdened with unnecessary pomp and circumstance. Leadership of the division turned over 3 times within 12 months until they could hire the appropriate slash & burn hatchet man who made the decision to close several facilities within the first few weeks of joining the company and after “freeing up time” to visit the facilities once for about 4 hours. The ensuing scramble proves out that the decision was made without analysis or accurate assessment on the impact to the business and its customers and without a transition plan being in place. Mentality of Sr. Management is founded on the misconception that we’re making “widgets” that can be made anywhere by anyone without any understanding of the expertise of skill required to develop and produce the products.

These moves are a self-inflicted death sentence and wouldn’t be surprised if 2 years from now the division is gone or broken up and sold off.
Pros
great people.....
Cons
misinformed or naive sr. management

2.5