Smiths Detection

Smiths Detection Employee Reviews

Large up scale company with many opportunities for advancement.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Morristown, NJMay 12, 2015
Pros: Provides many health benifits
Cons: Can be so large making it difficult to get things done.
SMITHS provides many opportunities in the security industries that provides both sales and service to many high end (mainly government) customers.
Bad management led to unhealthy work situation for many employees. Company ultimately closed their NJ offices.
Senior Credit & Collections Specialist (Former Employee), Morristown, NJApril 23, 2015
Pros: Close to home, pay was decent.
Cons: Bad management
Customer account management which consisted of daily collection of past due balances, credit application reviews and overall accounting duties.

Management was poor. Oppressed and micro-managed on a near constant basis.
Too many Cheifs and not enough Indians.
Contact Supervisor Ali Kerem (Former Employee), Edgewood, MDMarch 17, 2015
Pros: NONE
Cons: I cannot write should be written, ALL CONS @ Smiths Detection.
What a terrible place to work, Managers do not respect their employees. You can be terminated without cause or notice, I know this because I was a victim of Smiths Detection.
My Day
Production technician B (Current Employee), Edgewood, MDFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: overall good workplace, would recommend to anyone.
Cons: management sometimes falls behind on ordering parts and materials and causes for a lot of downtime.
Normally an eight hour day starting at 7 o'clock, The project that I am assigned to is the CXS Conventional X-Ray Systems, myself and three other technicians have the duties to commission, repair, troubleshoot and install all CXS. The different types of X-Rays go from the standard 6040i ones you would probably see at a courthouse to a 6040aTix mostly seen at airports. Most commissioning process takes anywhere from four to six hours to complete. Good place to work, a lot of hands on and will keep you moving all day.
Great people and work environment
Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Danbury, CTJanuary 19, 2015
This was an ideal place to retire from. Great products that served the betterment of homeland security. Facinating technology among an array of different devices. Great pay and benefits, and on the job perks. Developed great co-worker relationships that created a "family" atmosphere.
Unbelievably poorly run organization….
High Tech Employee (Former Employee), High Tech EmployeeOctober 31, 2014
Pros: great people.....
Cons: misinformed or naive sr. management
Worked at the Danbury facility for many years with wonderful, hardworking, brilliant team of individuals. Would go to battle with those folks any day!

However, the Sr. Leadership team and Corporate organization is in shambles and unbelievably poorly run. Division is a smaller business of a rather stodge British conglomerate so its heavily burdened with unnecessary pomp and circumstance. Leadership of the division turned over 3 times within 12 months until they could hire the appropriate slash & burn hatchet man who made the decision to close several facilities within the first few weeks of joining the company and after “freeing up time” to visit the facilities once for about 4 hours. The ensuing scramble proves out that the decision was made without analysis or accurate assessment on the impact to the business and its customers and without a transition plan being in place. Mentality of Sr. Management is founded on the misconception that we’re making “widgets” that can be made anywhere by anyone without any understanding of the expertise of skill required to develop and produce the products.

These moves are a self-inflicted death sentence and wouldn’t be surprised if 2 years from now the division is gone or broken up and sold off.
Fun, but future is always uncertain
material handler (Current Employee), edgewood marylandOctober 22, 2014
a great place to work, great people, good benefits but the nature of the business is so unpredictable, we can be layoff anytime
Not your typical company
Service Scheduler (Current Employee), Edgewood, MDSeptember 28, 2014
Pros: working from home
Cons: sitting all day
This is a fast paced multitasking position
Management is not good. Some of my co-workers are bullies and non-helpful, including my supervisor. Thus the reason for seeking new employment.
Treated me well through the years but...
Front office (Current Employee), Danbury, CTSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: work-life balance, flexibility
Cons: underpaid, no incentives, too many chiefs and not enough indians
I worked in the Danbury, CT location which had a great culture and a great atmosphere...but that office is closing in 2015 and moving to Maryland.

In the height of Smiths success it was an energetic and motivating place to work. But upper management and their "decision making" has ultimately lead to the downfall of this company. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

The pay is not competitive with today's market, and the business has not given raises or yearly bonuses in 6+ years. Yet, upper mgmt still pumps our their propaganda about "great successes...employee engagement...goals of the business - bla bla bla".

Upper management is completely unattached to the feelings and needs of the "common man." And morale couldn't be lower.
A great family culture
Director of Science & Technology (Current Employee), Danbury, CTSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: people
World class, great people, great products.
Challenging work.
Learned a lot.
Making the right products for the right products.
Working with brillent people.
Overworked
Finance (Current Employee), Edgewood, MDAugust 13, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: long work days
Smiths Detection has a lot of great employees and interesting products but unfortunately, I would not recommend it as a career choice. It could be a great place to work but the majority of the day is spent putting out fires set by upper management.
Quality Products with great people
Technician / Assembler (Current Employee), Danbury, CTAugust 5, 2014
Pros: morale boosters such as picnics, horseshoes, football parties.
Cons: temp contract ending
My experience at Smiths Detection as a temp employee was very good. I have gained experience and became interested in the aspect of Raman Laser Spectrograph technology. Co workers were fantastic and I felt like part of a family there.
Danbury site was a family atmosphere
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee), Danbury, CT 06810August 5, 2014
Pros: atmosphere was light and fun.
Cons: reported to corporation based out of uk.
The Danbury site of Smiths Detection was a family atmosphere. This site was purchased in 2004/2005 from SensIR technologies and the small business mentality. This was a great group of people to work with. Smiths is closing this site as of February 2015 for business reasons.
Productive workplace
Invoice/Master Data Administrator, OTI (Current Employee), Danbury, CTAugust 5, 2014
Pros: lenient with time off - drs. appointments, etc.
bulk of the day is spent invoicing and updating customer master. Management is extremely supportive. Best part of the job are my co-workers. Teamwork is a huge part of this position.
Open & Welcoming
Project Finance Manager (Former Employee), NJ/MDJuly 12, 2014
I was employed as a consultant for a specific project. Although my time was to be short, the entire organization welcomed me with open arms. Wonderful Experience! Made connections for life!
Wonderful coworkers but it is not the same company it used to be.
Senior Field Service Engineer (Current Employee), Edgewood, MDJune 13, 2014
Pros: all the over time you can handle
Cons: long hours, you can not refuse any overtime and you are on call 24/7
About three years ago Senior Management started to leave. We all started to think this can't be good. That did not concern me, my manager was there, and let me tell you, he is everything a manager should be. He had the perfect balance between supervisor and employee advocate. he protected the people below him and treated every customer with care and respect. As a Result we( all of us )would do anything for him and the company. He knew the job technically, he knew his people and their capabilities and he knew the customers. because of him the department was rated very highly nationally.
a short time later the Assistant manager resigned. Another very smart capable person that left. now it is getting closer to home but I still had that manager.

a short time later all of the rest of senior management left with in a month. then came the announcement operations in New Jersey are ending and the building is being closed. that is OK most of us work out of our houses.But it was not OK that manager was forced to retire and all the call center people and lab technicians were let go. all at once. those that were left have to pull triple duty. while the operation was relocated to Maryland and an entire fork force was hired and trained from the ground up. Logistically there are a lot of spinning wheels. Never enough time to do the job right but always enough time to do it over. A lot of pass the buck.
My advice to you - if you are a good worker they will work you. if you are not a good worker they will not work you as long as you act like a good worker.
Awesome technology
Director Marketing Communications (Former Employee), Morristown, NJFebruary 6, 2014
Loved the technology and purpose. Thoroughly enjoyed my position. It is unfortunate the company relocated.
Had a great team that I worked with
FSO, Facility Supervisor (Former Employee), Morristown, NJJanuary 23, 2014
A company that had great potential and due to internal conflicts the company took a turn down the drain.
Exciting.
Product Support Engineer (Former Employee), Township of Warren, NJJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: exciting. annual company picnic. knowing everyone by face and name.
Cons: none.
Deployed to customer site to repair equipment or conduct training, 90% was planned and you were given way advance notice. Sometimes worked in shop repairing or building new equipment.

Learned of a unique and very interesting technology. Acquired a tremendous understanding of how Governmental Agencies operate.

Management was outstanding, all resources were provided and support was excellent.

This was one of the most enjoyable places to work for, we got along like a large family and teamwork was excellent.

There was no hard part of this job.

Working with the different agencies to develop new ways utilizing our equipment in stopping the bad guys. Cat and mouse feeling.
Interesting work, good people
Technician Consultant - U T / Smiths (Former Employee), Alcoa, TNNovember 13, 2013
Most recently Smith could not maintain enough work to hire me permanently.