Smiths Detection

Smiths Detection Employer Reviews

Awesome technology
Director Marketing Communications (Former Employee), Morristown, NJFebruary 6, 2014
Loved the technology and purpose. Thoroughly enjoyed my position. It is unfortunate the company relocated.
Had a great team that I worked with
FSO, Facility Supervisor (Former Employee), Morristown, NJJanuary 23, 2014
A company that had great potential and due to internal conflicts the company took a turn down the drain.
Exciting.
Product Support Engineer (Former Employee), Township of Warren, NJJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: exciting. annual company picnic. knowing everyone by face and name.
Cons: none.
Deployed to customer site to repair equipment or conduct training, 90% was planned and you were given way advance notice. Sometimes worked in shop repairing or building new equipment.

Learned of a unique and very interesting technology. Acquired a tremendous understanding of how Governmental Agencies operate.

Management was outstanding, all resources – more... were provided and support was excellent.

This was one of the most enjoyable places to work for, we got along like a large family and teamwork was excellent.

There was no hard part of this job.

Working with the different agencies to develop new ways utilizing our equipment in stopping the bad guys. Cat and mouse feeling. – less
Interesting work, good people
Technician Consultant - U T / Smiths (Former Employee), Alcoa, TNNovember 13, 2013
Most recently Smith could not maintain enough work to hire me permanently.
Nice place to work
Sr Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee), Edgewood, MDSeptember 20, 2013
Nice people and interesting work.
Worked on chemical and biological products.
Stressful
Purchasing (Current Employee), Edgewood, MDAugust 26, 2013
Not knowing when you arrive for work if you will have a job. It takes an act of congress to get things done.
Great work experience
Tier 2 Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee), Edgewood, MDAugust 6, 2013
Very hands on company willing to put you in the field to test your ability and willingness to learn.
friendly work environment
Purchasing Assistant (Buyer) (Former Employee), misissauga, OntarioJuly 30, 2013
Pros: networking
Cons: being on the phone constantly
- i worked as a co-op so my days would vary according to the given tasks.
- I learned how purchasing department is managed and learned the position of being a buyer.
- my co-workers were very friendly
- learning the new methods you have never seen
- networking with new people
Review
Marketing (Former Employee), Edgewood, MDMay 29, 2013
Pros: good culture, life work balance, good location
Cons: not many growth opportunities, heavily relied on government funding, compensation and benefits
It was rewarding to work for a company that made industry leading products that screened for threats and potentially saved the lives of others.
Started out fantastic, but far from there now
Operations (Former Employee), EdgewoodApril 8, 2013
Pros: defense industry, great people
Cons: defense industry, advancement, compensation, management
Started out really great, great technology, people, place to work. Being 90% DOD reliant has had the site on edge for years, not knowing when or if the next contract was coming in. Not to mention the influx of new management, which doesn’t appear to be working out as planned. For now, not too stable, maybe after the DOD cutbacks are known and management – more... has some time to figure out what to do and get on the same page. – less
Smiths Detection
Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee), Danbury, CTJanuary 4, 2013
Smiths Detection was a unique company to work for, affording me an opportunity to learn about a different work culture in the production industry outside of my Finance and Banking background. Each department was extremely proud of the expertise that they contributed to the company.
An English company that treated Americans differently than the English Employees
Microbiologist (Former Employee), Boston, MADecember 27, 2012
Pros: my fellow employees
Cons: english company that treated the english employees better than the americans.
We worked at separate tasks, but often worked together as a team very successfully.

I learned a good deal about microbiological cell culture.

Loved my boss.

Loved my co-workers

The hardest part of the job was our plant shutdown.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working together with my colleagues.
Great atmosphere
Senior Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Pasadena, CADecember 14, 2012
Pros: company sponsored outings, great technical expertise from other people
R&D company which made for a great combination of idea flow along with a great exchange of technical expertise from various backgrounds.
Great Employer with continued growth opportunities.
Product/Cost Analyst (Former Employee), Edgewood, MDDecember 5, 2012
Pros: wonderful people, great benefits, annual company picnic, forward looking company
Cons: failure to compensate specific employees on a routine basis; merit/bonus
A typical day at work often times meant tackling multiple costing issues. Reviewing production and inventory records and responding to department heads and upper manage via adhoc reporting.

I learned to be prepared and mostly proactive in order to address any challenges presented during the day and course of my career.

Management was knowledgeable – more... in running the business.

The co-workers were kind and pleasant to work with.

The hardest part of the job was leaving each day to go home. I enjoyed the work and job responsibilities I was assigned.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendship I developed and the ability to grow within the company and work and be part of a unified team environment. – less
HR Business Partner in Manufacturing Industry
Associate Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee), Danbury, CTAugust 22, 2012
Pros: experience in manufacturing and production industries
Provided strategic human resources business partner services for large client group(s) with the development and implementation of HR initiatives in support of strategic business goals to influenced effective decision making and drive organizational growth.
Primarily manufacturing organization
Project Engineer (Current Employee), Edgewood, MDJuly 24, 2012
Pros: good location
Cons: limited room for advancement
Manufacturing organization focused on military and homeland security products. Many layers of management can make decisions difficult.
Great product but management team does not work toward common goals.
Program Manager (Former Employee), Edgewood, MDJune 6, 2012
Pros: working to build products that protect our country
Cons: instability of business due to 90% dependence on government contracts
Working for Smiths I learned about the crucial need to protect our country from Biochemical warfare. The company creates very good products that detect these potential threats.

Due to 90% dependence on government contracts the company has become extremely unstable and has laid off over 30% of the workforce over the past year and those numbers will – more... increase as they close one of the German plants later in 2012.

One of the weaknesses of this company is the lack of direction and strength with the management team. – less
new and clean workplace
Quality Inspector (Current Employee), Edgewood, MDMay 31, 2012
conduct daily inhouse audits on assembly lines.
inspection of goods recieved.
prepare final shipment documentation for government officals.
Strong position in the threat detection industry currently under extreme pressure from competitors and availability of govt contracts
Director of Finance (Former Employee), Morristown, NJJanuary 26, 2012
Pros: strong service team, working closely together by location
Cons: overly reliant on large government contracts, expensive product, site closings, workforce reductions
With its vast array of product offerings SD maintains a strong position in the threat detection (chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and explosive) industry but is currently under extreme pressure from competitors and availability of large contracts for new equipment. Until this situation changes favorably, SD is going to be a very unstable – more... place to work. While there will always be competition, SD needs to work toward developing the right products at the right price and in a timely manner, something that they have struggled to do as of late. – less
Technician (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 21, 2014
Pros: flexible work time
Cons: future is not dependable
At Smiths' Detection I came to know and learnt about an amazing technology namely " Ion Mobility Spectrometry ". Using this technology the security personnel at the airports and ports of entry can detect particles as small as 1 nano-gram of illegal drugs, and/or explosive or hazardous chemical substances.

Work atmosphere at Smiths' is superb and enjoyable. – more... The only reason looking for another job is that Smiths' business seems to be getting slow and slower as time passes and chances are that they will lay off many of their personnel. – less