Smiths Detection

Smiths Detection Employer Reviews

A great family culture
Director of Science & Technology (Current Employee), Danbury, CTSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: people
World class, great people, great products.
Challenging work.
Learned a lot.
Making the right products for the right products.
Working with brillent people.
Overworked
Finance (Current Employee), Edgewood, MDAugust 13, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: long work days
Smiths Detection has a lot of great employees and interesting products but unfortunately, I would not recommend it as a career choice. It could be a great place to work but the majority of the day is spent putting out fires set by upper management.
Quality Products with great people
Technician / Assembler (Current Employee), Danbury, CTAugust 5, 2014
Pros: morale boosters such as picnics, horseshoes, football parties.
Cons: temp contract ending
My experience at Smiths Detection as a temp employee was very good. I have gained experience and became interested in the aspect of Raman Laser Spectrograph technology. Co workers were fantastic and I felt like part of a family there.
Danbury site was a family atmosphere
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee), Danbury, CT 06810August 5, 2014
Pros: atmosphere was light and fun.
Cons: reported to corporation based out of uk.
The Danbury site of Smiths Detection was a family atmosphere. This site was purchased in 2004/2005 from SensIR technologies and the small business mentality. This was a great group of people to work with. Smiths is closing this site as of February 2015 for business reasons.
Productive workplace
Invoice/Master Data Administrator, OTI (Current Employee), Danbury, CTAugust 5, 2014
Pros: lenient with time off - drs. appointments, etc.
bulk of the day is spent invoicing and updating customer master. Management is extremely supportive. Best part of the job are my co-workers. Teamwork is a huge part of this position.
Open & Welcoming
Project Finance Manager (Former Employee), NJ/MDJuly 12, 2014
I was employed as a consultant for a specific project. Although my time was to be short, the entire organization welcomed me with open arms. Wonderful Experience! Made connections for life!
Wonderful coworkers but it is not the same company it used to be.
Senior Field Service Engineer (Current Employee), Edgewood, MDJune 13, 2014
Pros: all the over time you can handle
Cons: long hours, you can not refuse any overtime and you are on call 24/7
About three years ago Senior Management started to leave. We all started to think this can't be good. That did not concern me, my manager was there, and let me tell you, he is everything a manager should be. He had the perfect balance between supervisor and employee advocate. he protected the people below him and treated every customer with care and – more... respect. As a Result we( all of us )would do anything for him and the company. He knew the job technically, he knew his people and their capabilities and he knew the customers. because of him the department was rated very highly nationally.
a short time later the Assistant manager resigned. Another very smart capable person that left. now it is getting closer to home but I still had that manager.

a short time later all of the rest of senior management left with in a month. then came the announcement operations in New Jersey are ending and the building is being closed. that is OK most of us work out of our houses.But it was not OK that manager was forced to retire and all the call center people and lab technicians were let go. all at once. those that were left have to pull triple duty. while the operation was relocated to Maryland and an entire fork force was hired and trained from the ground up. Logistically there are a lot of spinning wheels. Never enough time to do the job right but always enough time to do it over. A lot of pass the buck.
My advice to you - if you are a good worker they will work you. if you are not a good worker they will not work you as long as you act like a good worker. – less
Awesome technology
Director Marketing Communications (Former Employee), Morristown, NJFebruary 6, 2014
Loved the technology and purpose. Thoroughly enjoyed my position. It is unfortunate the company relocated.
Had a great team that I worked with
FSO, Facility Supervisor (Former Employee), Morristown, NJJanuary 23, 2014
A company that had great potential and due to internal conflicts the company took a turn down the drain.
Exciting.
Product Support Engineer (Former Employee), Township of Warren, NJJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: exciting. annual company picnic. knowing everyone by face and name.
Cons: none.
Deployed to customer site to repair equipment or conduct training, 90% was planned and you were given way advance notice. Sometimes worked in shop repairing or building new equipment.

Learned of a unique and very interesting technology. Acquired a tremendous understanding of how Governmental Agencies operate.

Management was outstanding, all resources – more... were provided and support was excellent.

This was one of the most enjoyable places to work for, we got along like a large family and teamwork was excellent.

There was no hard part of this job.

Working with the different agencies to develop new ways utilizing our equipment in stopping the bad guys. Cat and mouse feeling. – less
Interesting work, good people
Technician Consultant - U T / Smiths (Former Employee), Alcoa, TNNovember 13, 2013
Most recently Smith could not maintain enough work to hire me permanently.
Nice place to work
Sr Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee), Edgewood, MDSeptember 20, 2013
Nice people and interesting work.
Worked on chemical and biological products.
Stressful
Purchasing (Current Employee), Edgewood, MDAugust 26, 2013
Not knowing when you arrive for work if you will have a job. It takes an act of congress to get things done.
Great work experience
Tier 2 Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee), Edgewood, MDAugust 6, 2013
Very hands on company willing to put you in the field to test your ability and willingness to learn.
friendly work environment
Purchasing Assistant (Buyer) (Former Employee), misissauga, OntarioJuly 30, 2013
Pros: networking
Cons: being on the phone constantly
- i worked as a co-op so my days would vary according to the given tasks.
- I learned how purchasing department is managed and learned the position of being a buyer.
- my co-workers were very friendly
- learning the new methods you have never seen
- networking with new people
Review
Marketing (Former Employee), Edgewood, MDMay 29, 2013
Pros: good culture, life work balance, good location
Cons: not many growth opportunities, heavily relied on government funding, compensation and benefits
It was rewarding to work for a company that made industry leading products that screened for threats and potentially saved the lives of others.
Started out fantastic, but far from there now
Operations (Former Employee), EdgewoodApril 8, 2013
Pros: defense industry, great people
Cons: defense industry, advancement, compensation, management
Started out really great, great technology, people, place to work. Being 90% DOD reliant has had the site on edge for years, not knowing when or if the next contract was coming in. Not to mention the influx of new management, which doesn’t appear to be working out as planned. For now, not too stable, maybe after the DOD cutbacks are known and management – more... has some time to figure out what to do and get on the same page. – less
Smiths Detection
Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee), Danbury, CTJanuary 4, 2013
Smiths Detection was a unique company to work for, affording me an opportunity to learn about a different work culture in the production industry outside of my Finance and Banking background. Each department was extremely proud of the expertise that they contributed to the company.
An English company that treated Americans differently than the English Employees
Microbiologist (Former Employee), Boston, MADecember 27, 2012
Pros: my fellow employees
Cons: english company that treated the english employees better than the americans.
We worked at separate tasks, but often worked together as a team very successfully.

I learned a good deal about microbiological cell culture.

Loved my boss.

Loved my co-workers

The hardest part of the job was our plant shutdown.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working together with my colleagues.
Great atmosphere
Senior Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Pasadena, CADecember 14, 2012
Pros: company sponsored outings, great technical expertise from other people
R&D company which made for a great combination of idea flow along with a great exchange of technical expertise from various backgrounds.