Smiths Medical Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
A good company
Sr. Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 30, 2017
You become part of a family at Smiths Medical. Unfortunately sometimes your family gets split up and your hard work and dedication go unnoticed. It is a large company trying to become a global divisional leader and there are always challenges with that.

Overall I enjoyed my time with the company and I would recommend it to anyone willing to hit the ground running.
After 4 1/2 years it's time to move on.
Senior Quality Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILAugust 15, 2017
I've worked for Smiths Medical for four and a half years. It is time to move on. The site is too small to allow me further growth at this point in my career without relocation.
No room for advancement.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHAugust 7, 2017
It was a decent job for the first couple of years. I was the only one in the Maintenance/Custodial position, after they decided to hire sub contractors. There was no room for advancement.
Pros
Communication, benifits
Cons
Benifits, no room for advancement....
It was nice to be appreciated by being treated to lunch when we met our deadline.
Rebates Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHJuly 23, 2017
It is a great company to work for. Very flexible with your hours. I loved being able to work independently, I just needed a change of scenery. This is a great company to work for, they really care about the emplyoyees. I had taken custody of my cousin and brought him home from the hospital from day one. He had some health issues and they worked my schedule around his doctors appointments and with my kids school schedule. When I broke my leg they gave me the option of working from home or disability...I was so glad to have that option because I didn't want anyone to have to pick up my slack.
They are also care about their employees, example my grandma and dad had passed away and they sent me flowers. Plus they give time off for berevement, which I definately needed since my grandma raised me.
I also enjoyed the part where a "scrum board" was implemented. When someone from our team finished their work they would give us a sticker, at the end of the month we would get a prize. It wasn't much but it was the thought that counted, I would normally give it to my grandchildren.
Employee minded company
Quality Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rockland, MA and Gary INJuly 18, 2017
Currently improving the work/life balance. Current CEO is very results driven and employee minded. Leaving company due to too much travel, living in MA while travelling to Gary, IN every other week.
Assembly/ machine operator
assembler (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHJune 19, 2017
Some days went really smooths and some days not,Ive learned to check my work and to do the best that I could do,I feel for the management was not always fair, very clean work place fixing the machine was the hardest, the most enjoyable part of the job was doing the best of what was excepted of me before going to the hospitals.
Pros
I really liked what I did there knowing I could save peoples lives while they where in the Hospital
Cons
atao much favor tissum
same thing everyday
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNApril 30, 2017
Some departments lack the right training, most have been set off earlier than should, therefore, certain departments are required to work twice as hard for what is lacking.
Fun
Software Test Technician II (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 26, 2017
There was a lot of great people I worked with, but some of the management is was bad. I was derailed and that did put a bad taste in my mouth. I was praised by my manager on how awesome I was doing with the pump testing I was doing and literally two days later I was fired for "performance issues". They clearly do not value hard driven workers that turn out quality performance.
Pros
Great lunch room
Cons
They don't care about their employees
Go the other way
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 23, 2017
Management cares only about management; and their year end bonus.
You are talked down to.
Don't trust HR
No long term direction; only year to year
The company does not care about there customers, only the stock price.
Pros
Benefits not bad
Cons
No respect from management
Stay away from this place
Production Support (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, MNApril 17, 2017
The best thing that happened in years was the production manager quite and went to Medtronic. He was just a little punk. Only if the lazy Director of operation would leave then we can make progress. He more concerned about hitting on the admin staff then anything else. Engineering group is good and the production floor is good.
Pros
Paycheck comes every 2 weeks
Cons
Director of operations
Stressful. Lots of resposnbility with no control.
buy/Planner (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHApril 10, 2017
Management tends to make sweeping last minutes calls about inventory levels and purchasing procedures with out training or advice on how to get there.
Pros
Cons
Tend to wrk through lunch.
Staff and Productivity
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHApril 2, 2017
I very much enjoyed working with all the staff. They are great at making you feel accomplished. Productivity was always a big goal during the week. Scheduling was always the same, and overtime was usually available if you chose.
Great Place
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNMarch 8, 2017
Great work environment. Management does a good job of working with their employees to help grow the employee into a better more productive worker. Laid back atmosphere, but everyone works to get their job done. Facility in Plymouth, MN is top notch.
Great people!
Senior Lead Validation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Gary, INMarch 6, 2017
Very interesting place to work.

I enjoy working with the people from all areas within the facility.

I was able to learn a good bit about their manufacturing processes.
A lot of travel
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 3, 2017
Good place to work. You will travel a lot, not many new products in product bags. Uncapped commissions, Company car OK benefits unlimited vacation...
Hiccup in career
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNFebruary 9, 2017
Trying to move from the mentality of a small company to a large company and really struggling to do it. Go to work, sit at desk for 8+ hours a day with very little direction. I learned to be persistent in asking for more details on how to complete things. Management spent most of their time in meetings, very little time at desk available. Culture very hard to figure out. The hardest part of my job was getting feedback on my performance that would help me to figure out what they were looking for with my work. I met some really nice, kind people while I worked there.
Pros
Fitness area, Cafeteria
Cons
lack of training, mentoring and staff development. Lack of tools and structure.
Great place to work.
Talent Acquisition Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJanuary 23, 2017
Smiths Medical is a fantastic company with many areas that they are working on building to develop a better organization as a whole. With new leadership in many of the different divisions, they are working towards grown and product launches that have not come in many years. Their is a culture shift going on, for the better, and it is highly reflective of the employees that come in, work hard, to build a solid future and at the end of the day WIN.
Pros
Close to cities
Benefits
Typical medical device employer
Electronics Assembler (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, MNDecember 12, 2016
Clean and safe work environment. Benefits were cut and raises are poor. Job security is good. Some departments can use better managers.
More of the same in corporate America
Undisclosed (Former Employee) –  United StatesDecember 6, 2016
Management has no idea what they are doing. I had been a temp for a very long time here, and was to be hired permanent, but nothing happened with the process.

The only real plus is that management more or less left me alone so long as my work was done.

So if you can, get hired as FT not a temp, and if you need experience, then move on.
Pros
Decent money, fair autonomy
Cons
Nothing is clear, no sense of job security, management doesn't keep promises
Very rewarding and worthy
ADVANCED SYSTEM DESIGNER- R&D (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHDecember 2, 2016
Very well rounded environment. Hardest part is conforming to changing FDA requirements. Very rewarding in providing critical care products to the medical industry and to patients specifically.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smiths Medical. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8