Smithsonian Enterprises Employee Reviews

Excellant Opportunities
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 18, 2017
If you're looking for solid museum or customer service experience in a challenging environment where the entire world comes to visit, this is it. There are always positions available for advancement and a great team to help you get there.
Not what you think.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 14, 2017
Management listens to outside management, low pay for amount of work they expect, they make changes like transferring employees for no reason, kevin blackburn is full of it, majority of the managers sit in the office and dont know anything about the store. Associates run the store, management will lie and talk about you behind your back. AWFUL PLACE TO WORK
Pros
Transportation benefits, meet cool coworkers
Cons
Everything else
Productive customer service and outstanding attention to detail
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VAApril 25, 2017
From crowd control to processing tickets and handling customer dissatisfactions. My duties include having to talk one on one with customers for deals on shows and suggesting what to watch as well as keeping supervising the theatre while the show is underway. Clean and stock all parts of the box office. Clean theatre when needed, as well as ore checking tickets for sold out shows. Selling memberships and advertising upcoming shows.
Awful
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 13, 2017
Poor management with allot of immature children with terrible manners employed here. Staff argues and fights on the floor. Managers are unable to control there staff and some of the managers participate in irresponsible behavior with staff.
Pros
takes allot for them to fire you and government position
Cons
unorganized, ghetto staff, immature adults, unprofessional, poor salary
Avoid Smithsonian Enterprises
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCDecember 15, 2016
Smithsonian Enterprises is typical retail outfit that sours the reputation of the institution it serves. It is mired in its own petty politics and considers its human resources as disposable. There are no benefits, no raises and limited opportunities for growth as they hire management from outside. Except for the museum environment and DC minimum wage far exceeding VA and MD its no better than walmart as a workplace. Should you wish to pursue a career in museums/collections, a position with SE will never lead to that and will be used against you as its "retail.". Several retail associates have advanced degrees and years of SI experience but cannot even get an interview for "guest services" positions on the SI side. With few exceptions this is a very dead end job. And SE is NOT the SI. SE is a sweatshop.
Pros
Its the Smithsonian sort of
Cons
Payroll 'mistakes', no advancement, retaliatory managment
An interesting place to work.
Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 21, 2016
A typical day at the office is very busy. I've learned quite a bit about the history of the Smithsonian and it's cause. My interactions with my coworkers makes the day fun! the most enjoyable part of my job is the interactions with our guests, in person and on the phone and being able to help them.
A job that teaches you something everyday.
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 5, 2016
My typical day at work starts out with me greeting and communicating the business results to our employees. I open and ensure that all locations were properly closed the day before. I ensure that company funds are accurate and all employees have the supplies that they need for the day. I create a schedule for the team which on average is about 28 employees a day for 8 locations. Once we are open for business I supervise and ensure my employees are available to assist all of the families and customers from different parts of the world. The challenges come but we as a team accept them as opportunity for growth. The most enjoyable part of my day is working with customers and ensuring that they leave home happy. Although in my current position I am more behind the scene I like to change my roll to work with customers. I communicate with customer via email with any concerns they may have and process orders from inside and outside of the US. My day may also include auditing funds inside the safe or inventory of merchandise. I communicate and schedule meetings with buyers, maintenance, security, and visual merchandiser. At the end of the day I will close all locations assign associates to tasks to ensure that the business is prepared for the next day.
I worked there when it opened
Store Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  National Museum of the American IndianMarch 7, 2015
It was exciting and I learned a lot about Indian culture and business.
I was challenged when I worked there and did very well before I left. Sadly, the musueum isn't as busy as it used to be. Business had really slowed down and I got bored.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 12, 2014
Assist customers with appropriate information about the museum, stock stores, and assist customers with buying items.
Not too stressful, Nice atmosphere, good benifits
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 11, 2013
Supervisor or manager would give the morning meeting. Help get needed stock/merchandise to the store floor. attend to needs of customer, get change for store associates. Do some office work such as monitor the retail associates work send some emails to upper administration..., move merchandise around the store as needed. Help close down the store at the end of the day.
Pros
Good compensation for a retail job both salary and benefits.
Cons
Off days and working hours may fluctuate at times. Many noisy children, lots of standing.
Love it!
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 5, 2013
I really enjoy working here and am hoping for an opening after the summer is over. The transportation benefits are amazing!
Pros
Transportation benefits
Cons
Temp job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smithsonian Enterprises. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8