Smithsonian Institution Employee Reviews in United States

A very positive team staff.
RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 5, 2016
Overall a pretty good job. The people you meet are very sociable and are very helpful with training and extra tips on doing a better job at the position.
Fun and interesting place to work
Management Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 16, 2015
The most interesting place to work. The Smithsonian has a diverse culture. I interacted on a daily basis with people of all nationalities.
Pros
Fun and interesting place to work
Cons
No cons.
Patrolling The Natioal Zoo and interacting with the visitors from all over the globe.
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 8, 2015
Due to lack of funding and knowledge the Smithsonian Institution Park Police have a very high turn around rate for police officers.
This is a reflection of my experience at this particular museum.
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 27, 2015
Training is a big deal to me. I started this position with hopes of working with a supervisor that advocates training and advancement for their employees. This was not the case. I never had the chance to work with that manager because they ended up leaving the institution. So 7 years later and at least 5 supervisors later, here we are. Same place, no growth.
Pros
Employee picnic, beautiful garden, learned new program systems
Cons
High turnover, no growth, no work/life balance.
Description of Work Place
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 25, 2015
Smithsonian, office was renovated. The work was constant.Management was not employee friendly. There were little or no chance for promotions.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
unpaid parking
Summer Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 11, 2015
Working at The Smithsonian was a great experience, if even in only the many things I learned I like and dislike. The culture at the Smithsonian and the push to learn is incredible. I like most of the people I worked with, as people work together towards the Smithsonian's goals as a whole. There was a lot of bureaucracy and people stuck doing things certain ways but as a whole, people wanted to propel the institution towards improvement.
Military
Security Officer, Office of Protection Service (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 9, 2015
Very solid work...
Solid support system and leadership.
Very solid and worth the lifestyle.
Vigorous work at times, but it came with the worlds missions for freedom
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 9, 2015
The experience working at the Smithsonian has not only been fun but simply beyond descriptive words. Collegial, historic and the opportunity to interact with guests from all over the world.
Fun
Summer Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 25, 2015
It was an amazing experience to work at The Smithosnian Institution and I really enjoyed working with people of all races and cultures.
Gallery Attendant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 23, 2015
I've learned more about others and working as a team. I loved helping others from in and out of state. I most enjoyed helping others.
Office of the Associate Director for Operations
Office Assistant (Student Trainee) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 16, 2015
As an Office Assistant I enter data for financial transactions in Excel workbooks for the Financial Manager. This includes obligations for purchase orders, purchase card purchases, incoming revenue and internal reimbursements and payments. I prepare deposit slips for incoming checks in the automated Cash Management System (CMM). I monitor the CMM system for posting of deposits and prepare an electronic Transmittal for Gifts form (SI-3011) to record deposits in the correct departmental fund after posting in the system. I assist with the collection of donation box contributions; this includes collecting cash from seven donation boxes, counting and banding the cash and preparing the deposit slips and bank bags for pick-up by Dunbar Armored Car service. I contact vendors regarding invoices and payments. I also assist with day-to-day administrative activities including filing, mail distribution and pick-up.
Pros
Discount for lunch
Educational, fun
Facilities service worker (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 15, 2015
Starts at 8am
Walk the museum for any equipment in public areas
Organize and properly store equipment
Clean and maintenance any dirty or damaged equipment
I have learn a lot wail working here like diversity training
The hardest part of my job is to be under staffed and required to do big office moves
The most enjoyable part of my job is the public
na
Assistant Security Operative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 25, 2015
Working in the Smithsonian was a learning experience, Management was very supportive. Meeting new people from different culture was a great experience.
It was an ok place to work.
Special Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, D.C.June 23, 2015
My co-workers and I had a lot of fun working together. I learned a lot about different cultures and diversity. The hardest part of the job was the language barriers. But I got thru it.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere, fun loving co-workeers
Very Bad Job to have.
Traffic Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 14, 2015
Smithsonian Institution was the worst job i ever had.When you apply for the job you end up doing something totally different than what you signed up for.It was a very bad experience for me because they expected us to stand outside in 95 degree weather for 8 hours with only a 15 minute break.They clearly did not care about their employees they only care about how much money we helped them make.They did not want you to take more than 2 bathroom breaks and they should not have taken over the traffic aides .The management is very unprofessional and would curse at us and be very angry with us if we did not want to stay longer without an additional break.Again in the heat .
Pros
did not give free lunch we did not even get lunch breaks.
Cons
short breaks
Contractor
Program Analyst (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 6, 2015
As a contractor I am not an employee and ineligible for any Smithsonian benefits,I am unable to review or rate this company as an employee.
Smithsoninan is previledge career
Utilities System Repairer Operator Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 26, 2015
I consider working at the Smithsonian a dream came through. the growth potential is there. the career support, trainings and mentoring is outstanding.
Workplace
Inventory Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Crystal City, VAMarch 10, 2015
So its an ok place to work. The checks are good. No room for advancement unless someone retires. The management is ok to work with and the food is even better.
Pros
museums
Smithsonian is Amazing
Office of the Chief Information Officer (Current Employee) –  600 Maryland Ave. SW , washington D.C , 20024March 10, 2015
Everyday is new opportunities to learning and expanding my skills.

• Provide development and operational support for the Institution’s enterprise SharePoint environment.
• Follow Software Development Life Cycle
• Develop web parts/module for Intranet sites and out of the box team sites
• Support to adding daily Smithsonian events in Staff Calendar
• Attending Team meetings and Provide status reports to management staff
• Assist with modifying SharePoint web parts in existing site
• Involve in Migrating sites including contents and web pages
• Migrate content from existing SharePoint web sites and collaboration sites to other site collections and sites within SharePoint
• Assist with Develop and manage Contents, web parts , web forms
• Knowledge of Info Path and Work Flow using SharePoint Designer
• Assist with sets up the weekly training
Great Place To Work
Graphics / Printing Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 3, 2014
The culture is perhaps the biggest standout at the Smithsonian. They encourage learning and growth. And as an employee your given many opportunities to explore other organizations within the institute. Its a great place to work.