Smokers Choice Employee Reviews

Exciting and Easy For Anyone
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mohawk, NYSeptember 23, 2017
Had everything not went south in the end I would consider this not only a job opportunity, but a career opportunity. Smokers Choice is not only a fun and fast-paced job to work, but the company itself is very homey, and personable. I did enjoy every aspect of this job, until upper management decided to act like children.
Pros
Excellent customers and interesting work environment
Cons
Bad Management
Do not work here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Auburn, NYSeptember 2, 2017
The owner and supervisor are very AWFUL people, they do not care about you, they do not like you, they talk about you horribly to your face and to others, they are money hungry greedy jerks. I have NEVER been treated so poorly at a job.
Pros
Cons
Bosses
Vape Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, NYAugust 31, 2017
Really great company to work for if you want a career that challenges you and gives you the necessary tools to succeed
in your job role. The team is always read to help and get you where you need to be.
Pros
Room to grow
benefits
Easy to manage job however not organized and minimal communication with areal managers
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 23, 2017
Coming into this company I was excited to learn retail. The manager that brought me onto the team shortly left the store before I was fully trained. He left the store in the hands of an individual who was under qualified and didn't have the characteristics of a strong leader. The store fell apart for a few months with me trying to help keep it together. Learning more and more how that specific "office" ran I've teamed up with another manager after the other one was let go to build a rejuvenated company with little to no help from the areal manager.
Pros
Set schedule, laid back environment, discounts (if approved).
Cons
Long shifts alone. Low pay. No validation, no career building.
don't do it not worth it
Manager (Current Employee) –  MultipleJune 9, 2017
If you want to live at smokers choice than apply. If you like no money and no raises than apply if you like being watched by 20 cameras and corporate calling you for dumb things they see you in the camera than apply if you like not being trusted or believed than apply. This company makes you work so many hours and days it doesn't give you chance for a life. They always say they want someone with experience for what they pay they should be lucky people even speak English. They treat employees like garbage, you even have to purchase your own uniform shirt. If your lanyard breaks because it gets caught on the cabinets your opening for customers you have to pay your self from your horrible paycheck. Please this company is a joke. I also work at another vape shop near by. So I'm comparing both places and by far the worst company to work for is smokers choice. I'll be leaving by next Friday. I start a new career in healthcare.
Pros
No drug test
Cons
Everything else
This is an ever-changing work environment with heavy customer interaction regardless of what your position in the store is.
District manager (Current Employee) –  Mohawk, NYMay 29, 2017
My position is only offered to a hand full of employees. Of my weekly hours, 10-13 of them are attributed to drive time. I have 13 stores I over see on a weekly basis. This includes looking over schedules, making sure employees are meeting their required hours, maintaining open relations with other store managers and I also play a role in hiring and firing.
My main task is inventory management, I count all inventory within the stores within a months time, I track order discrepancies and anomalies within each store and try to maintain order with the inventory.
Time management is the hardest part of this job. There are so many things that need to be completed within the month and sometimes between the weather and the unpredictable factors of life this seems almost impossible
Pros
Rewards for perfect inventories, pretty laid back when it comes to breaks
Cons
Mandatory over time, in my position its hard to get a day off without have to do double work to make up what I missed
Not a bad job for a part timer
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYApril 7, 2017
Good job for someone who only wants part time. The company Only hires for part time; less then 29 hrs a week. Theres not much room for advancement in the company. No benifits unless you are full time.
Pros
discounts, the regular customers, clean work place
Cons
Only part time, no real breaks, only 2 employees at a time for a big store
very rude owners
MANAGER/INVENTORY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMarch 2, 2017
although I advanced to manager as well as inventory specialist the owners did not care if you or your child was sick they wanted you there even if it meant getting everyone else sick. often times I was left with no employees and worked open until close 7 days a week.
Very fun work environment and lots of overtime
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYFebruary 26, 2017
Great stepping stone, if you're looking for progression. With the right attitude you can be easily promoted at smokers Choice. Although the turnover is horrible , it's a great place to work.
Pros
Discount and overtime
Cons
Short breaks
Great people, but no consustance from corperate!
Sales (Former Employee) –  Matamoras, PAJanuary 29, 2017
Smokers Choice has grown tramendiously over the last few years. However corperate and management never seem to be on the same page or follow through with handbook rules and regulations consistantly.

The people I worked with were a great team! We worked well together if we were slow or busy. I learned a lot about marketing and proper ways to handle a large amount of different product.

There is not a lot of ways to advance within this company. I was told my management, "The owner doesnt expect you to make a carrer out of working here," which is very discouraging to hear.
Pros
Great group of people to work with on store level
Cons
You do not receieve consistancy from corperate

Want to know more about Smokers Choice?

Ask a question
Very rude management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cortland, NYOctober 21, 2016
It does not matter how hard you work it constantly feels like it's impossible to please management,they always have a rude comment for you.the schedule changes at least once mid week so it's impossible to balance your personal life.the customers are the nicest part of the job.
Pros
Work with people
Cons
Poor management
Beware, this company does not value its employees.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Delhi, NYAugust 3, 2016
Store manager is the highest attainable position and the wage is terrible. Expectations of employees are unrealistic and company continually adds more bureaucratic mechanisms and policy changes every few weeks. Managers are expected to do all cashier functions, which would be okay if not for constant policy changes, and managerial functions; constant oversight from corporate and policy updates necessitate store managers only duties to be merchandising and administrative functions. Corporate has previously violated some, and currently other, labor laws such as: mandatory repayment of cash and lotto shortages, making employees pay for their work uniforms, not allowing employees to take breaks for 6 or more hour shifts, equal opportunity employment violations, and terminating employees for using the Family Medical Leave Act. Moreover, corporate has made employees conduct criminal behavior at least once this year; this was done by trying to hide a manufacturers documentation on a product that classifies it as drug paraphernalia and display it for sale rather than return it to the manufacturer. 'Comparable to Last Year' sales figures are hidden from employees which takes away motivation and leverage for requesting raises as well. Part time employees are purposely kept at 29 hours a week or less in order to avoid fines for not offering health insurance under the Affordable Care Act. Employees are disposable and their heads are used as stepping stones in order to increase profits and keep them in grinding poverty.
Pros
Not applicable/none
Cons
Work/life balance, compensation, hostile work environment.
n/a
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 29, 2016
A typical day was making sure that my customers were satisfied and delivering the best customer service experience. The most enjoyable part was the friends I made among my co workers.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYMay 2, 2016
Great place, easy work, learned basic secretarial duties, flexible schedule, co-workers were easy to get along with, boss was nice and understanding
busy workplace
Cashiered and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Walton, NYApril 19, 2014
A typical day had to do with processing, unloading shipment, organizing etc. I learned how to process clothing and replenish sales floors. Management was good as well as the coworkers. Hardest part was the several overnights (i did enjoy them though). Most enjoyable part was the environment.
enjoyed the public but no room to grow
cashier/assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYDecember 29, 2013
this was a fun job as far as the public went.Although there was really no place to go further with this and was not a carrer position.
Pros
good work schedule
Cons
no advancements
N/a
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mohawk, NYJanuary 30, 2013
This job sucks and the manager is stuck up and lazy. She has her employees do her job plus their own. She favored certain employees and set the employees she didn't like up for failure so the company would fire them.