Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill

Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill Employee Reviews in United States

laid back atmosphere
chef (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 11, 2016
Smokey Bones was a job. there is no room to advance with this company, they lowball you when you start out and you cant even get a raise, have to beg for reviews, and theres no positive reinforcement and bad morale.
Great until sold to private investment company
Service & Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 20, 2015
This was an awesome place to work with great benefits and people until SunCapital bought it. There were no raises, no bonuses and no common sense. I was made to have my employees work the jobs of 2-3 people with no extra compensation. All about the bottom line and not about the human.
Hostile and unprofessional work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MD 20716March 14, 2016
A typical day at work is usually more than half the staff is either late or a no show, the kitchen can't produce efficiently because the food is either not there or not prepped correctly. Working at Smokey Bones gave me the opportunity to lead instead of follow, I made sure everything I had to do was done correctly. I made sure all guests were taken care of, even if they weren't at my table. I tried to make the working environment a better one. Management is extremely below par and unprofessional. The hardest part of the job was making sure my food came out correct and in a timely fashion. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with the public and make sure guests enjoyed their time.
Fun envoriment,
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNOctober 26, 2015
Amazing culture, good benefits!!l Constant change in upper management not a lot of opportunity to move pass the GM spot!
I loved my coworkers but the GM was awful
Take Out Specialist, Greeter (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJuly 6, 2016
I worked here for almost two years and I really enjoyed everything that I learned as far as customer service and the restaurant world.The day in and out were typically fun and it was a relaxed environment. However things were not even slightly good in the management area. They would under staff our restaurant even knowing in advance that we would be busy because of concerts, sporting events, or large business trips which would cause chaos. The GM had a way of talking to all employees as if they are less than dirt and I was not the first to walk away after having enough. If management was better I would have loved to stay and advance but at the end of the day it was not worth feeling like less of a human being for 9 dollars an hour.
Pros
coworkers, relaxed environment, 50% off shift meal
Cons
management, small chain so not steady business
Great company
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJuly 9, 2015
Great cooperate restaurant, I started in the dish pit in Dayton Ohio and five years later I was a trainer opening new locations in South Florida, the money wasn't bad either, and there benefits were outstanding. The company loved me to death and were willing to let me learn and grow at my own pace which surprising to them was very fast paced. Before they new it I was running the whole back of the house plus taking inventory and making orders. I was the guy they would call when someone would call out because I could do the job of everyone in the kitchen. The hardest part of the job was leaving it but my Mother has a reoccurring illness and she needed me more so I went home to help.
Pros
Great company
Great for a Temporary Job
Hostess/Take-out/Busser/Server (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJuly 18, 2016
I've worked at Smokey Bones as a Greeter, Takeout, Busser and Server for 2 years. There is always room for opportunities and you are always guaranteed a job.
Management is good, as long as you do your job, pay attention and do more than asked.
The hours vary depending on how slow or busy the night is. The fellow co-workers are basically like family. There is a short retention rate though. People come and go, and that's to be expected with a resturant on MSU campus.
Overall, I would recommend for anyone as a side job, temporary job or if your degree is along the lines of hospitality management.
Pros
Benefits 50% off meals
Cons
Hours
Not so awesome
Server (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYJune 1, 2016
When I first arrived it was amazing as far as the management, the hours, the workload, and the people.
Training was fast and understandable, and there was a lot of money to be made.Then management started to change, some of the management left and relocated and those that were left eventually quit or relocated from being so disappointed and unhappy with the GM.
He arrived and immediately started to change things even though he was not there long enough to understand normal successful operation. By then it was a slower season so less money making was expected but he forced overstaffing and would not dismiss anyone making a shift only worth 10 to 15 dollars. At that point all staff, management included were desperate to get out. I'm not sure about hosts or servers but there are all new management because everyone left. Someone also stole from me and there is no area to put belongings or cameras/security for the small closet that everyone stuffs things into.
Pros
Great money during winter, social, fun
Cons
Management turn over
Ok money but management makes it awful
Server (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 3, 2016
I worked for smokey bones for three years. Started as a host, moved to takeout then to server. I initially made very good money but the management was horribly unstable and couldn't keep the restaurant running the way it should have so the kitchen suffered, our food quality and timing suffered, meaning our business suffered. Management treats you poorly, plays favorites, and care more about dumb corporate stuff more than their customers and employees. We went through 6 general managers in the 3 years I was there. Every single one was fired so some sort of scandal or another.
Pros
Good money, fun work environment
Cons
Poor management, trashy clientele
Fun coworkers, and decent management
server, bartender (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MADecember 4, 2015
Most enjoyable part of this job was the people i worked with. Management was acceptable, although the "big wigs" were constantly being fired and replaced. Hardest part of the job was never knowing how much you'd be making. Clientele was often pretty trashy, as is usual in a bar atmosphere.
Pros
half off shift meals and ok food options
Cons
no breaks, customers were not the best

Want to know more about Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill?

Ask a question
Productive and relaxed restaurant
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Taunton, MA 02780May 3, 2016
Very large and roomy environment to work in, however it can get very messy in there when it gets really busy. I have learned a lot at work including better time management, social skills, and approaches to new individuals. Management is not the best around, but co-workers are the bomb and the front of the house does a great job!
Pros
Half off any food purchase when working
Cons
No breaks, no health benefits
Fun work place, unorganized managers
Training Server (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMay 9, 2016
The people that came in, and my co workers were great and made it fun to work with them. The money was great and easy and made it more like fun not so much like work. Unfortunately the managers had no I idea what they were doing, and did not take advice well from other managers nor their employees.
Pros
good money, easy fast money
Cons
no breaks, rude and unprofessional managers
Good Culture
General Manager (GM) (Current Employee) –  USAMay 20, 2016
This brand is definitely growing. It provides a fairly typical work week for a restaurant manager of roughly 50-55 hours per week, and it pays pretty well. Corporate is a bit disconnected at times, but overall is fairly supportive. Best part of my job was the people I worked with. Learned a great deal about what it means to be a leader and how not to be a boss.
Worst job ever
Server (Former Employee) –  Lithonia, GAJune 26, 2016
This was the worst job I have ever had. Poor management skills,as well as a lack of team work......too many chiefs not enough indians Terrace even fired me over the phone we what a cheap way out let me not start about his puppy darrell lol.run like heck
Pros
Great regulars and the pay was alright
Cons
No break poor managements lame environment
Fun workplace
Server/Greeter (Current Employee) –  Sanford, FLApril 30, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people that I got to work with. They were all great people and excellent coworkers.

The hardest part about the job was the money. I couldn't financially live off of what I was making there.

I learned that every person with different with very different preferences and I've gained excellent customer service skills.
Pros
Half off lunches, being around people and getting to talk.
Cons
No benefits, pay wasn't great.
North Olmsted is closed
Server (Former Employee) –  North Olmsted, OHJune 27, 2016
Despite constantly running out of food on the weekends, and being incredibly slow in the week, we still had fun while it lasted. However the north Olmsted restaurant closed in February. I don't know why it keeps posting job listing for this location...
Crumbling Management
Server, To-Go Specialist (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLFebruary 5, 2016
Severe lack of management, schedule changes 2-4x a week (w/ out phone call), lack of business service (over staffed), short shifts. 4 managers in one month...
Pros
Half off Food, great deals & specials
Cons
High Management Turnover, Microwave cooking, unreasonable sales quotas
fun place to work with other employee's
Greeter, Cashier, Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILApril 8, 2016
I give this place a 3.2 management was nasty an did not how to talk to the employee's hated getting up to go to the job. The good thing is they didn't last long they had to close down.
Pros
free lunch if u did'nt work an came in 50% off ur meal
Cons
lot of work in little time
Decent Place to Work.
Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Reynoldsburg, OHJune 22, 2016
Very upbeat, relaxed, fast-paced, diverse environment that teaches teamwork and leadership. I would recommend anyone that is willing to be thrown into positions to this place.
Pros
50% Discount
Cons
Management was HARD to reach.
Horrible management
Bartender/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 5, 2016
Could be a great, easy place to work. Unfortunately, lazy people and a lack of strong management leaves way for an inappropriate, unprofessional work atmosphere. Your manager should`t make your job harder and more difficult do.

Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill Reviews by Job Title