Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill Employee Reviews

Flexible laid back work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 27, 2017
Got to sample all food and drinks in order to relay our opinions to customers. Management was a lot of fun to work with and cared for their employees. Hardest part was overcoming being short staffed on a busy night. Customers would not get proper service but would be taken care of by management. I loved building relationships with customers and being requested to serve them.
Pros
discounted food, hard work recognized
Cons
limited health care
great money, just like any normal restaurant
Bartender, Server (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCMarch 26, 2017
I enjoyed my many years here, from hosting to takeout to serving to getting behind the bar I really had a full experience and I am thankful for that. the food is great and our regulars are amazing, between them and my general manager that's why i lasted so long. But like any restaurant job I out grew it.
WHo wants to work with mouthy teenagers, and as someones servant for the rest of their lives?
Pros
MONEY
Cons
The life style
Ok job to much drama
line cook (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 24, 2017
I wouldn't recommend a job because hours are slack and no room for growth. I went from 35 hours to 10 hrs a week and wasn't respected in my decision making
Not a good place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Wellington, FLMarch 24, 2017
worst place i have ever worked!
absolutely no respect from management!
management talks down to you and blames any problem they have on there servers.
they have no clue what they are doing and there is no past experience with managing which explains some of the problems. but does not explain the lack of respect!
Dont work here
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMarch 22, 2017
Managment is terrible. They have new managers every couple months. They never give raises. Co workers are good people. Most of the food is microwaved. We used to always joke how "chef mic" was the hardest worker in the place.
what i have learned
Cook (Former Employee) –  Wellington, FLMarch 21, 2017
in the year that i worked at smokey bones. i was able to learn about smoking food, micro manage the kitchen, started working on the next steps to be come a kitchen manager.
Pros
a lot of fun good group of coworkers
Cons
short on prep somedays
fun & friendly place to hang out BUT...
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNMarch 11, 2017
needs a lot of management help, servers never help each other, the whole place seems to work agents its self. The flow from host to server to kitchen and all management is very poor.
everyone is mad at everyone else. hostile place to work. it was a living nightmare.
fun and great food
Server/Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lithonia, GAMarch 6, 2017
I loved working at this place. Great food, music and they had TV's. I loved learning new things and seeing new faces at this job. My coworkers and supervisors were always very helpful.
Once was a inspiring place to work!
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 2, 2017
It's been very hard in the last few years with cutting of labor. We are expected to work extremely hard to pump out the lowest labor results possible to help make our company look very profitable. They are very lack luster in controlling inventory dollars and numbers.
Your hard work can pay off
Utility (Current Employee) –  Maumee, OHFebruary 20, 2017
As a company it is a great place to work, most of the management is very competent and understanding. Most co-workers are helpful and hard working. The couple of bad apples almost spoil the bunch though.
Pros
Great pay, benefits
Cons
Communication and follow up
Laid back and fun environment work in. Good for a young person getting through school or retired person needing a source of income.
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 17, 2017
I have been enjoying my time at Smokey Bones BBQ and Grill. I have learned a lot, met a lot of people and appreciate all of my hard work pay off.
Good place
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 16, 2017
Great place clean and they do anything to help great workers. I would go back if I didn't move. They train you all over so it's easy for you to pick up hours if anyone calls out..
Glad I'm not there anymore
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 12, 2017
Honestly felt like I was working and not getting anywhere as far as monetary the staff was great and felt like I was at home but money was a huge issue.
Pros
free food
Cons
money!
Fun place to work but disorganized
Corporate Management (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FL 33180February 4, 2017
Unreasonable expectations
Rules change too often with poor communication
Culture is fun and upbeat. The people are great.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
unclear and unreasonable expectations, poor corporate communication
stressful work enviroment
General/Kitchen Manager, Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MI 48912January 24, 2017
very stressful work environment, no leadership or help from corporate. this is not a company I would recommended . I don't know what else to say. why can't I get pass this screen
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no work life balance
Nice place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 17, 2017
A typical day is serving usually 4 tables at a time, sometimes busy sometimes not, depending on the day. Co-workers are good people. The hardest part is probably the stress of people asking for 10 different things at once.
Great people!
Sever/Host (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 5, 2017
Everyone has fun at work! All employees are very friendly. Managers work well with your schedule! Havee parties for every holiday and i never dreaded going to work!
Pros
discount on food
Cons
you get cut as soon as it dies down
Fast paced fun place to work
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 1, 2017
I loved working here. However, sometimes life gives you tailspins that you are not prepared for. I prepared food for the cook line such as smoked ribs and wings, sauces, side items, and salads. I learned how to own what I do and many delicious recipes. The hardest part of the job was that the schedule seemed to be non existent. If I was scheduled off at 5 I may not get of until 10. I understand that sometimes things come up and you have to stay over but 5 hours over everyday impacted my life tremendously.
Pros
the job was easy
Cons
fun people to work with, breaks, and recipes
Unorganized house
Server (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDDecember 29, 2016
Poor management from the top down. Went through 6 GM's in 2 years ! That should tell you right there how poorly managed the restaurant was. The money was there as a server , but management held the whole restaurant back.
Pros
Flexible hours, Discounts on food
Cons
No Breaks, Lazy co- workers, Dirty restaurant
Awesome service
Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 16, 2016
If you never ate at this restaurant, we invite you to come and have a wonderful menu to your warming of the heart with some hot good smokey bones food.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill. Our community is ready to answer.

Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill Reviews by Location