Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill

Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill Employee Reviews in United States

Good Culture
General Manager (GM) (Current Employee) –  USAMay 20, 2016
This brand is definitely growing. It provides a fairly typical work week for a restaurant manager of roughly 50-55 hours per week, and it pays pretty well. Corporate is a bit disconnected at times, but overall is fairly supportive. Best part of my job was the people I worked with. Learned a great deal about what it means to be a leader and how not to be a boss.
Fun work place, unorganized managers
Training Server (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMay 9, 2016
The people that came in, and my co workers were great and made it fun to work with them. The money was great and easy and made it more like fun not so much like work. Unfortunately the managers had no I idea what they were doing, and did not take advice well from other managers nor their employees.
Pros
good money, easy fast money
Cons
no breaks, rude and unprofessional managers
Ok money but management makes it awful
Server (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 3, 2016
I worked for smokey bones for three years. Started as a host, moved to takeout then to server. I initially made very good money but the management was horribly unstable and couldn't keep the restaurant running the way it should have so the kitchen suffered, our food quality and timing suffered, meaning our business suffered. Management treats you poorly, plays favorites, and care more about dumb corporate stuff more than their customers and employees. We went through 6 general managers in the 3 years I was there. Every single one was fired so some sort of scandal or another.
Pros
Good money, fun work environment
Cons
Poor management, trashy clientele
Productive and relaxed restaurant
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Taunton, MA 02780May 3, 2016
Very large and roomy environment to work in, however it can get very messy in there when it gets really busy. I have learned a lot at work including better time management, social skills, and approaches to new individuals. Management is not the best around, but co-workers are the bomb and the front of the house does a great job!
Pros
Half off any food purchase when working
Cons
No breaks, no health benefits
Very Fun, Productive, and Culturally Diverse Environment
Hostess/To-Go (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 28, 2016
A typical work day would be clocking in, the energy varied from good vibes and everyone being in a fun mood to a little frustration from just being a fast paced occupation. As a hostess you would make sure your area is nice and presentable because that is the first place people come to after entering the restaurant. You made sure you knew what was going on, who was there and who wasn't, which person had which section, who had a party and who was able to take tables. Once everyone was there we had bonefires or small meetings on new information and featured drinks or foods. My co-workers were very fun and easy to get along with. Management are caring, understanding, and involved with what is going on in the restaurant. The hardest part of the job, I would say, was working long hours because there really isn't a set time on when you will actually get off. Another difficult part was dealing with certain guests who weren't the nicest and may not have the best attitude. Then again some guest made the job most enjoyable because you met the most interesting people who were just sweet and appreciative. I also enjoy working with the variety of people and just the energy we gave each other to get through a shift. I learned a lot on how to deal with people with all sorts of attitudes and personalities which had a good effect on my customer service skills. My organization and time management skills have also improved due to this job.
I loved the company and the mission to be the best.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNApril 9, 2016
I had great leadership for the first three years. The last year there the was a culture change that a lot of management did not agree with.
fun place to work with other employee's
Greeter, Cashier, Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILApril 8, 2016
I give this place a 3.2 management was nasty an did not how to talk to the employee's hated getting up to go to the job. The good thing is they didn't last long they had to close down.
Pros
free lunch if u did'nt work an came in 50% off ur meal
Cons
lot of work in little time
Hostile and unprofessional work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MD 20716March 14, 2016
A typical day at work is usually more than half the staff is either late or a no show, the kitchen can't produce efficiently because the food is either not there or not prepped correctly. Working at Smokey Bones gave me the opportunity to lead instead of follow, I made sure everything I had to do was done correctly. I made sure all guests were taken care of, even if they weren't at my table. I tried to make the working environment a better one. Management is extremely below par and unprofessional. The hardest part of the job was making sure my food came out correct and in a timely fashion. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with the public and make sure guests enjoyed their time.
Quick money with the right peronality
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 13, 2016
great extra job or starting off job. But if you don't like getting out of work until 4 am then not the place for you! I did learn a lot though and had a great time with the people I worked with.
Pros
great co workers great environment
Cons
late hours
Serving
restaurant associate (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMarch 3, 2016
I loved this job. Very fun people to work with as well as easy to know your path. managers are very helpful and always walking into a new day with more opportunities. very relaxing.
All about the Guest
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  North Wales, PAFebruary 23, 2016
Stop choking the golden goose or it won't lay golden eggs! Make it about the guest and not all about food and labor. Making guest happy is the key to success.
Pros
Fun places
Cons
Not growing
laid back atmosphere
chef (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 11, 2016
Smokey Bones was a job. there is no room to advance with this company, they lowball you when you start out and you cant even get a raise, have to beg for reviews, and theres no positive reinforcement and bad morale.
Crumbling Management
Server, To-Go Specialist (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLFebruary 5, 2016
Severe lack of management, schedule changes 2-4x a week (w/ out phone call), lack of business service (over staffed), short shifts. 4 managers in one month...
Pros
Half off Food, great deals & specials
Cons
High Management Turnover, Microwave cooking, unreasonable sales quotas
Horrible management
Bartender/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 5, 2016
Could be a great, easy place to work. Unfortunately, lazy people and a lack of strong management leaves way for an inappropriate, unprofessional work atmosphere. Your manager should`t make your job harder and more difficult do.
Productive and Fun
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 5, 2016
Very productive work environment and very fun people work there. I personally love working with food and I really enjoy working there.
Pros
Flexible with hours, receive rewards for working well
Cons
healthcare
A good place to work.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDDecember 27, 2015
Co-workers were great. Management wasn't the best to work for. It wasn't to do the job. Fairly easy days. Some days I felt like it was a lot for one person, or maybe employees should be paid more.
Fun coworkers, and decent management
server, bartender (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MADecember 4, 2015
Most enjoyable part of this job was the people i worked with. Management was acceptable, although the "big wigs" were constantly being fired and replaced. Hardest part of the job was never knowing how much you'd be making. Clientele was often pretty trashy, as is usual in a bar atmosphere.
Pros
half off shift meals and ok food options
Cons
no breaks, customers were not the best
Positive atmosphere
Service and Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Tyngsboro, MANovember 27, 2015
Fun Place to work and grow. There are opportunities available. Direction of company is geared toward a night club, with a focus on late night sales.
Fun envoriment,
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNOctober 26, 2015
Amazing culture, good benefits!!l Constant change in upper management not a lot of opportunity to move pass the GM spot!
Awesome!
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 21, 2015
This is truly a great company to work for! I enjoyed the time I was there, and would go back in a heartbeat! Very laid back and relaxed but with a get the job done nmentality. If you are lucky enough to be offered a job with this company, TAKE IT!
Pros
great people, great atmosphere
Cons
NONE

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill. Our community is ready to answer.

Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill Reviews by Job Title