Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill

Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill Employee Reviews in United States

Ok money but management makes it awful
Server (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 3, 2016
I worked for smokey bones for three years. Started as a host, moved to takeout then to server. I initially made very good money but the management was horribly unstable and couldn't keep the restaurant running the way it should have so the kitchen suffered, our food quality and timing suffered, meaning our business suffered. Management treats you poorly, plays favorites, and care more about dumb corporate stuff more than their customers and employees. We went through 6 general managers in the 3 years I was there. Every single one was fired so some sort of scandal or another.
Pros
Good money, fun work environment
Cons
Poor management, trashy clientele
Productive and relaxed restaurant
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Taunton, MA 02780May 3, 2016
Very large and roomy environment to work in, however it can get very messy in there when it gets really busy. I have learned a lot at work including better time management, social skills, and approaches to new individuals. Management is not the best around, but co-workers are the bomb and the front of the house does a great job!
Pros
Half off any food purchase when working
Cons
No breaks, no health benefits
Hostile and unprofessional work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MD 20716March 14, 2016
A typical day at work is usually more than half the staff is either late or a no show, the kitchen can't produce efficiently because the food is either not there or not prepped correctly. Working at Smokey Bones gave me the opportunity to lead instead of follow, I made sure everything I had to do was done correctly. I made sure all guests were taken care of, even if they weren't at my table. I tried to make the working environment a better one. Management is extremely below par and unprofessional. The hardest part of the job was making sure my food came out correct and in a timely fashion. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with the public and make sure guests enjoyed their time.
Fun work place, unorganized managers
Training Server (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMay 9, 2016
The people that came in, and my co workers were great and made it fun to work with them. The money was great and easy and made it more like fun not so much like work. Unfortunately the managers had no I idea what they were doing, and did not take advice well from other managers nor their employees.
Pros
good money, easy fast money
Cons
no breaks, rude and unprofessional managers
Good Culture
General Manager (GM) (Current Employee) –  USAMay 20, 2016
This brand is definitely growing. It provides a fairly typical work week for a restaurant manager of roughly 50-55 hours per week, and it pays pretty well. Corporate is a bit disconnected at times, but overall is fairly supportive. Best part of my job was the people I worked with. Learned a great deal about what it means to be a leader and how not to be a boss.
fun place to work with other employee's
Greeter, Cashier, Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILApril 8, 2016
I give this place a 3.2 management was nasty an did not how to talk to the employee's hated getting up to go to the job. The good thing is they didn't last long they had to close down.
Pros
free lunch if u did'nt work an came in 50% off ur meal
Cons
lot of work in little time
Fun coworkers, and decent management
server, bartender (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MADecember 4, 2015
Most enjoyable part of this job was the people i worked with. Management was acceptable, although the "big wigs" were constantly being fired and replaced. Hardest part of the job was never knowing how much you'd be making. Clientele was often pretty trashy, as is usual in a bar atmosphere.
Pros
half off shift meals and ok food options
Cons
no breaks, customers were not the best
Quick money with the right peronality
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 13, 2016
great extra job or starting off job. But if you don't like getting out of work until 4 am then not the place for you! I did learn a lot though and had a great time with the people I worked with.
Pros
great co workers great environment
Cons
late hours
Crumbling Management
Server, To-Go Specialist (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLFebruary 5, 2016
Severe lack of management, schedule changes 2-4x a week (w/ out phone call), lack of business service (over staffed), short shifts. 4 managers in one month...
Pros
Half off Food, great deals & specials
Cons
High Management Turnover, Microwave cooking, unreasonable sales quotas
Horrible management
Bartender/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 5, 2016
Could be a great, easy place to work. Unfortunately, lazy people and a lack of strong management leaves way for an inappropriate, unprofessional work atmosphere. Your manager should`t make your job harder and more difficult do.
laid back atmosphere
chef (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 11, 2016
Smokey Bones was a job. there is no room to advance with this company, they lowball you when you start out and you cant even get a raise, have to beg for reviews, and theres no positive reinforcement and bad morale.
I loved the company and the mission to be the best.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNApril 9, 2016
I had great leadership for the first three years. The last year there the was a culture change that a lot of management did not agree with.
Serving
restaurant associate (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMarch 3, 2016
I loved this job. Very fun people to work with as well as easy to know your path. managers are very helpful and always walking into a new day with more opportunities. very relaxing.
All about the Guest
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  North Wales, PAFebruary 23, 2016
Stop choking the golden goose or it won't lay golden eggs! Make it about the guest and not all about food and labor. Making guest happy is the key to success.
Pros
Fun places
Cons
Not growing
Great until sold to private investment company
Service & Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 20, 2015
This was an awesome place to work with great benefits and people until SunCapital bought it. There were no raises, no bonuses and no common sense. I was made to have my employees work the jobs of 2-3 people with no extra compensation. All about the bottom line and not about the human.
Productive and Fun
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 5, 2016
Very productive work environment and very fun people work there. I personally love working with food and I really enjoy working there.
Pros
Flexible with hours, receive rewards for working well
Cons
healthcare
Awesome!
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 21, 2015
This is truly a great company to work for! I enjoyed the time I was there, and would go back in a heartbeat! Very laid back and relaxed but with a get the job done nmentality. If you are lucky enough to be offered a job with this company, TAKE IT!
Pros
great people, great atmosphere
Cons
NONE
A good place to work.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDDecember 27, 2015
Co-workers were great. Management wasn't the best to work for. It wasn't to do the job. Fairly easy days. Some days I felt like it was a lot for one person, or maybe employees should be paid more.
Busy Bar
Bartender/Bar Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCSeptember 3, 2015
The bar of Smokey Bones is the highlight and center point of the restaurant. Only the best of the best can handle to be behind the bar. The job is demanding but rewarding. Fun work environment and great drink/food menu with lots of variety. Thoroughly enjoyed working here .
Pros
Meetings are the best Free Food and Drinks to try
Cons
Too many cooperate rules and regulations
Promising and intrinsic environment
Server's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLAugust 3, 2015
On a normal work day you show up and begin bussing tables and when it gets busy expedite. I learned that there are many different ways to cook ribs. Management wasn't on top of their game and constantly off on their cell phones. Coworkers were very friendly until it gets busy then signs of stress really start to show. the hardest part of the job was when it got busy and trying to keep up getting food out when the servers were off doing their own thing and food would pile up in the window.