Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill

Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill Employee Reviews

Your hard work can pay off
Utility (Current Employee) –  Maumee, OHFebruary 20, 2017
As a company it is a great place to work, most of the management is very competent and understanding. Most co-workers are helpful and hard working. The couple of bad apples almost spoil the bunch though.
Pros
Great pay, benefits
Cons
Communication and follow up
Dont work here
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMarch 22, 2017
Managment is terrible. They have new managers every couple months. They never give raises. Co workers are good people. Most of the food is microwaved. We used to always joke how "chef mic" was the hardest worker in the place.
Great for a Temporary Job
Hostess/Take-out/Busser/Server (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJuly 18, 2016
I've worked at Smokey Bones as a Greeter, Takeout, Busser and Server for 2 years. There is always room for opportunities and you are always guaranteed a job.
Management is good, as long as you do your job, pay attention and do more than asked.
The hours vary depending on how slow or busy the night is. The fellow co-workers are basically like family. There is a short retention rate though. People come and go, and that's to be expected with a resturant on MSU campus.
Overall, I would recommend for anyone as a side job, temporary job or if your degree is along the lines of hospitality management.
Pros
Benefits 50% off meals
Cons
Hours
Fun work place
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Colonie, NYNovember 29, 2016
Fun work place, minimal drama, good management, great team work on busy nights, friendly workers, entertainment is good with darts in the back. Pay is decent
Pros
50% off meals days you work
Cons
No benefits
good food
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Morrow, GANovember 2, 2016
They started out great building many stores and providing jobs in the community and overall I enjoyed working there but their boys only club was apparent .
Pros
good benefits
Cons
could not keep employees on staff
A great place to learn, but not a great place to stay.
Bar Manager (Current Employee) –  Stoughton, MAJuly 18, 2016
Working here was defiantly a enormous learning experience that i will hold with me for the rest of my career in the food industry. Starting over as a host and working my way all the way to a Bar manager in just over a year was a huge reward. At my first location it was great and more and more responsibilities kept arising and i loved every second of it. When i transferred to the second location things unfortunately changed for the worse. I was forced to work extremely horrid hours being short staffed and it was like manager vs manager. Teamwork was non existent half the time and it was killing the whole staff. When I and many of my co-workers tried reaching out to corporate for some much needed help, our cries were never answered. I absolutely love my job and all aspects of it. I just can not work somewhere where nobody gets along and i have to fight for respect that i already deserve.
Pros
Resposibilities, the staff, the culture
Cons
Management, Disrespect, Location, Hours
Just an okay job.
Server (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 3, 2016
Work was usually hectic, the kitchen struggled to make food correctly and on time. I learned how to brush off rude customers and how to deal with the ones who do not back down. Management was shaky, with one getting fired for getting to know a co-worker a little too well. The hardest part of the job was working until 2-3am. The most enjoyable part of the job were the friends that I made who all no longer work with Smokey Bones.
Productive and relaxed restaurant
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Taunton, MA 02780May 3, 2016
Very large and roomy environment to work in, however it can get very messy in there when it gets really busy. I have learned a lot at work including better time management, social skills, and approaches to new individuals. Management is not the best around, but co-workers are the bomb and the front of the house does a great job!
Pros
Half off any food purchase when working
Cons
No breaks, no health benefits
Flexible laid back work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 27, 2017
Got to sample all food and drinks in order to relay our opinions to customers. Management was a lot of fun to work with and cared for their employees. Hardest part was overcoming being short staffed on a busy night. Customers would not get proper service but would be taken care of by management. I loved building relationships with customers and being requested to serve them.
Pros
discounted food, hard work recognized
Cons
limited health care
Joyful Chaos
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Peachtree City, GANovember 10, 2016
The day will start off great but in a rapid fashion the environment will ruin your entire shift. This stems from the constant flux in management and the unreliability of co-workers. The enforcement of policy definitely slacked over the years. The Ziosk tablet on the tables dictated rather or not a person will get a certain number of shifts despite the complicated/sometimes confusing phrasing of the questions for our guest. If it wasn't for key individuals who would constantly try to enforce happiness, my employment would have been very brief.
Pros
Fun
Cons
chaos
stressful work enviroment
General/Kitchen Manager, Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MI 48912January 24, 2017
very stressful work environment, no leadership or help from corporate. this is not a company I would recommended . I don't know what else to say. why can't I get pass this screen
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no work life balance
Fast paced fun place to work
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 1, 2017
I loved working here. However, sometimes life gives you tailspins that you are not prepared for. I prepared food for the cook line such as smoked ribs and wings, sauces, side items, and salads. I learned how to own what I do and many delicious recipes. The hardest part of the job was that the schedule seemed to be non existent. If I was scheduled off at 5 I may not get of until 10. I understand that sometimes things come up and you have to stay over but 5 hours over everyday impacted my life tremendously.
Pros
the job was easy
Cons
fun people to work with, breaks, and recipes
Not a good place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Wellington, FLMarch 24, 2017
worst place i have ever worked!
absolutely no respect from management!
management talks down to you and blames any problem they have on there servers.
they have no clue what they are doing and there is no past experience with managing which explains some of the problems. but does not explain the lack of respect!
fun & friendly place to hang out BUT...
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNMarch 11, 2017
needs a lot of management help, servers never help each other, the whole place seems to work agents its self. The flow from host to server to kitchen and all management is very poor.
everyone is mad at everyone else. hostile place to work. it was a living nightmare.
Complimented and rewarded when doing a great job, flexible when time off is needed!
Server (Current Employee) –  York, PAAugust 15, 2016
I have been working at Smokey Bones for 9 years. Overall I enjoy the job as I am very outgoing. You need to have a certain personality to excel at being a server. Management is pretty good. We did go through a lot of managers over the 9 years I have been there. Currently, we have a good team. You won't always agree or get along with all of them but you must maintain mature composure at all times. That is with any job. If you have issues or questions, most of the time you can talk to them and they will try to work with you. I have learned how to deal with a variety of different guests and workers throughout my time here which has shaped who I am today. I developed relationships with regular guests at Smokey Bones which I love. I start out my job by checking my table section to make sure everything is in order and then check to see if we are out of anything. Then, throughout the shift, I cater to my guests and help my co-workers. At the end of the shift, I detail my table section and finish all my side-work and cash out with the manager. I honestly do love my job as a server. Even though I will be getting a job shortly in my career field, I will still maintain a day or so a week as a server!
Pros
Great staff, friendly.
great money, just like any normal restaurant
Bartender, Server (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCMarch 26, 2017
I enjoyed my many years here, from hosting to takeout to serving to getting behind the bar I really had a full experience and I am thankful for that. the food is great and our regulars are amazing, between them and my general manager that's why i lasted so long. But like any restaurant job I out grew it.
WHo wants to work with mouthy teenagers, and as someones servant for the rest of their lives?
Pros
MONEY
Cons
The life style
Unorganized house
Server (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDDecember 29, 2016
Poor management from the top down. Went through 6 GM's in 2 years ! That should tell you right there how poorly managed the restaurant was. The money was there as a server , but management held the whole restaurant back.
Pros
Flexible hours, Discounts on food
Cons
No Breaks, Lazy co- workers, Dirty restaurant
Fun place to work but disorganized
Corporate Management (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FL 33180February 4, 2017
Unreasonable expectations
Rules change too often with poor communication
Culture is fun and upbeat. The people are great.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
unclear and unreasonable expectations, poor corporate communication
Once was a inspiring place to work!
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 2, 2017
It's been very hard in the last few years with cutting of labor. We are expected to work extremely hard to pump out the lowest labor results possible to help make our company look very profitable. They are very lack luster in controlling inventory dollars and numbers.
I loved my coworkers but the GM was awful
Take Out Specialist, Greeter (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJuly 6, 2016
I worked here for almost two years and I really enjoyed everything that I learned as far as customer service and the restaurant world.The day in and out were typically fun and it was a relaxed environment. However things were not even slightly good in the management area. They would under staff our restaurant even knowing in advance that we would be busy because of concerts, sporting events, or large business trips which would cause chaos. The GM had a way of talking to all employees as if they are less than dirt and I was not the first to walk away after having enough. If management was better I would have loved to stay and advance but at the end of the day it was not worth feeling like less of a human being for 9 dollars an hour.
Pros
coworkers, relaxed environment, 50% off shift meal
Cons
management, small chain so not steady business

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill. Our community is ready to answer.

Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill Reviews by Job Title