Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill Employee Reviews

A great place to learn, but not a great place to stay.
Bar Manager (Current Employee) –  Stoughton, MAJuly 18, 2016
Working here was defiantly a enormous learning experience that i will hold with me for the rest of my career in the food industry. Starting over as a host and working my way all the way to a Bar manager in just over a year was a huge reward. At my first location it was great and more and more responsibilities kept arising and i loved every second of it. When i transferred to the second location things unfortunately changed for the worse. I was forced to work extremely horrid hours being short staffed and it was like manager vs manager. Teamwork was non existent half the time and it was killing the whole staff. When I and many of my co-workers tried reaching out to corporate for some much needed help, our cries were never answered. I absolutely love my job and all aspects of it. I just can not work somewhere where nobody gets along and i have to fight for respect that i already deserve.
Pros
Resposibilities, the staff, the culture
Cons
Management, Disrespect, Location, Hours
Just an okay job.
Server (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 3, 2016
Work was usually hectic, the kitchen struggled to make food correctly and on time. I learned how to brush off rude customers and how to deal with the ones who do not back down. Management was shaky, with one getting fired for getting to know a co-worker a little too well. The hardest part of the job was working until 2-3am. The most enjoyable part of the job were the friends that I made who all no longer work with Smokey Bones.
Great for a Temporary Job
Hostess/Take-out/Busser/Server (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJuly 18, 2016
I've worked at Smokey Bones as a Greeter, Takeout, Busser and Server for 2 years. There is always room for opportunities and you are always guaranteed a job.
Management is good, as long as you do your job, pay attention and do more than asked.
The hours vary depending on how slow or busy the night is. The fellow co-workers are basically like family. There is a short retention rate though. People come and go, and that's to be expected with a resturant on MSU campus.
Overall, I would recommend for anyone as a side job, temporary job or if your degree is along the lines of hospitality management.
Pros
Benefits 50% off meals
Cons
Hours
Complimented and rewarded when doing a great job, flexible when time off is needed!
Server (Current Employee) –  York, PAAugust 15, 2016
I have been working at Smokey Bones for 9 years. Overall I enjoy the job as I am very outgoing. You need to have a certain personality to excel at being a server. Management is pretty good. We did go through a lot of managers over the 9 years I have been there. Currently, we have a good team. You won't always agree or get along with all of them but you must maintain mature composure at all times. That is with any job. If you have issues or questions, most of the time you can talk to them and they will try to work with you. I have learned how to deal with a variety of different guests and workers throughout my time here which has shaped who I am today. I developed relationships with regular guests at Smokey Bones which I love. I start out my job by checking my table section to make sure everything is in order and then check to see if we are out of anything. Then, throughout the shift, I cater to my guests and help my co-workers. At the end of the shift, I detail my table section and finish all my side-work and cash out with the manager. I honestly do love my job as a server. Even though I will be getting a job shortly in my career field, I will still maintain a day or so a week as a server!
Pros
Great staff, friendly.
Fun work place
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Colonie, NYNovember 29, 2016
Fun work place, minimal drama, good management, great team work on busy nights, friendly workers, entertainment is good with darts in the back. Pay is decent
Pros
50% off meals days you work
Cons
No benefits
Joyful Chaos
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Peachtree City, GANovember 10, 2016
The day will start off great but in a rapid fashion the environment will ruin your entire shift. This stems from the constant flux in management and the unreliability of co-workers. The enforcement of policy definitely slacked over the years. The Ziosk tablet on the tables dictated rather or not a person will get a certain number of shifts despite the complicated/sometimes confusing phrasing of the questions for our guest. If it wasn't for key individuals who would constantly try to enforce happiness, my employment would have been very brief.
Pros
Fun
Cons
chaos
Ok money but management makes it awful
Server (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 3, 2016
I worked for smokey bones for three years. Started as a host, moved to takeout then to server. I initially made very good money but the management was horribly unstable and couldn't keep the restaurant running the way it should have so the kitchen suffered, our food quality and timing suffered, meaning our business suffered. Management treats you poorly, plays favorites, and care more about dumb corporate stuff more than their customers and employees. We went through 6 general managers in the 3 years I was there. Every single one was fired so some sort of scandal or another.
Pros
Good money, fun work environment
Cons
Poor management, trashy clientele
I loved my coworkers but the GM was awful
Take Out Specialist, Greeter (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJuly 6, 2016
I worked here for almost two years and I really enjoyed everything that I learned as far as customer service and the restaurant world.The day in and out were typically fun and it was a relaxed environment. However things were not even slightly good in the management area. They would under staff our restaurant even knowing in advance that we would be busy because of concerts, sporting events, or large business trips which would cause chaos. The GM had a way of talking to all employees as if they are less than dirt and I was not the first to walk away after having enough. If management was better I would have loved to stay and advance but at the end of the day it was not worth feeling like less of a human being for 9 dollars an hour.
Pros
coworkers, relaxed environment, 50% off shift meal
Cons
management, small chain so not steady business
Worst job ever
Server (Former Employee) –  Lithonia, GAJune 26, 2016
This was the worst job I have ever had. Poor management skills,as well as a lack of team work......too many chiefs not enough indians Terrace even fired me over the phone we what a cheap way out let me not start about his puppy darrell lol.run like heck
Pros
Great regulars and the pay was alright
Cons
No break poor managements lame environment
Doomed from the start. Since Their menu didnt have enough selection in my opinion
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 13, 2016
One of the worst restaurants I have worked in. A slim menu selection, not busy enough to keep the best servers working their. Poor management and not very teamwork oriented individuals
Pros
Got off work kinda early since business wasn't that great
Cons
No organization, no team work, not many regulars, closed down after a few short years being open
Unorganized house
Server (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDDecember 29, 2016
Poor management from the top down. Went through 6 GM's in 2 years ! That should tell you right there how poorly managed the restaurant was. The money was there as a server , but management held the whole restaurant back.
Pros
Flexible hours, Discounts on food
Cons
No Breaks, Lazy co- workers, Dirty restaurant
Productive and relaxed restaurant
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Taunton, MA 02780May 3, 2016
Very large and roomy environment to work in, however it can get very messy in there when it gets really busy. I have learned a lot at work including better time management, social skills, and approaches to new individuals. Management is not the best around, but co-workers are the bomb and the front of the house does a great job!
Pros
Half off any food purchase when working
Cons
No breaks, no health benefits
Fun upbeat environment
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAAugust 31, 2016
I have been with this company for four years and I have had a great experience. I am able to make the money that I need to make to support my family as well as having a flexible schedule for school. A typical day at work is coming in anywhere from 4-6 and having a 3-7 hour shift being that we stay open pretty late and I mostly work nights. We have our dinner rush around 7 or so and once that is over, we start looking at making cuts. Management is friend and tends to work with our schedules. My co workers and I are like a big family. We all have each others back and have the most fun while we work, The hardest part about my job I would have to say was learning how to be bartender so quickly. We are understaffed in the bartender department, so I just had to basically learn own and use things that were given to me. I know love being a bartender and I can handle pressure a better because of that task. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to interact with customers an building relationships with them. We have customers who have been coming in for years and we know their family as well as they know ours. Plus my co workers are super fun and it almost does not feel like a job because we do have fun and enjoy each others company.
Pros
50% off meals, flexible schedules
Cons
Open late, understaffed
Bartender (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SC 29406October 27, 2016
Always positive attitudes , decent work flow. Great management. Only downside is the communication could be better
Very busy for football season . Slower during off season. Have good regular crowds . Great food not to pricey
Pros
Half off food
Cons
No insurance
Not so awesome
Server (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYJune 1, 2016
When I first arrived it was amazing as far as the management, the hours, the workload, and the people.
Training was fast and understandable, and there was a lot of money to be made.Then management started to change, some of the management left and relocated and those that were left eventually quit or relocated from being so disappointed and unhappy with the GM.
He arrived and immediately started to change things even though he was not there long enough to understand normal successful operation. By then it was a slower season so less money making was expected but he forced overstaffing and would not dismiss anyone making a shift only worth 10 to 15 dollars. At that point all staff, management included were desperate to get out. I'm not sure about hosts or servers but there are all new management because everyone left. Someone also stole from me and there is no area to put belongings or cameras/security for the small closet that everyone stuffs things into.
Pros
Great money during winter, social, fun
Cons
Management turn over
A decent mid-tier place
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Peachtree City, GAAugust 1, 2016
The pay is good like any other restaurant, the environment and food is fun. The management? Probably awful to very awful. It's not really management of the particular stores fault, it starts with corporate and how idiotic they are. Sun bank or whoever owns this franchise is running it into the ground. Quarterly
Pros
Fun, Good Pay, Flexible Hours
Cons
Management is horrible (from top down)
Fast paced fun place to work
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 1, 2017
I loved working here. However, sometimes life gives you tailspins that you are not prepared for. I prepared food for the cook line such as smoked ribs and wings, sauces, side items, and salads. I learned how to own what I do and many delicious recipes. The hardest part of the job was that the schedule seemed to be non existent. If I was scheduled off at 5 I may not get of until 10. I understand that sometimes things come up and you have to stay over but 5 hours over everyday impacted my life tremendously.
Pros
the job was easy
Cons
fun people to work with, breaks, and recipes
good food
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Morrow, GANovember 2, 2016
They started out great building many stores and providing jobs in the community and overall I enjoyed working there but their boys only club was apparent .
Pros
good benefits
Cons
could not keep employees on staff
corporate company
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mount Prospect, ILNovember 24, 2016
90 percent of it was warm up food the only thing they did do is they did smoke the proteins on site management was not really good and workers where hard working
Productive place to work and also grow
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Henry clay,N.Y.July 25, 2016
It was definitely a great experience while i was there and wouldn't mind returning,also management was great and everyone worked together as a team, at the end of the day everyone was family. This work place will definitely be a fun and awesome experience.
Pros
Fun work place
Cons
Extremely busy and repetitive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9