SMS Assist Employee Reviews

Fast Paced Environment
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 16, 2017
Typical work day consists of getting situated, checking emails and starting your day. Making 150+ phone calls a day reaching out to clients doing a follow-up. I learned how to always remain professional and becoming patient. The hardest part of the job is not letting 150 calls a day drain you by it being so repetitive. The most enjoyable part of the job was the environment.
Pros
Company benefits and discounts
sms assist review
Operations Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 12, 2017
A typical day at work for me at SMS had highs and lows throughout the day. When first arriving at 2pm my day was very busy, slowed back down around 5 and sped back up around 8pm coming off my lunch break.
I learned how to take manager phone calls for myself and fellow colleagues when the manager on the floor was too busy.
The workplace culture was very friendly, very comfy, helpful, like family.
The hardest part of the job was learning new or changed policies literally every week.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being allowed the space to be the manager over your own workload on your own. Get in, handle your workload, help your coworkers with theirs then leave!
Pros
family like work environment
Cons
poor management
Company growing through growing pains
Associate Director-Client Relations (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2017
SMS Assist experienced some serious growth within a short period of time and has become numb supporting vendors which is a disservice to their core; Affiliate based service execution. The culture of the organization has been full of insecurity and low morale as groups of people are being laid-off due to continual lost of clients. Not a great record of retaining clients over a year as of my termination.

Operations Management has not been developed instead selected due to their ability to manage large data responsibility rather than management of teams of people. No high remarks on management style. A large number of experienced employees are not advanced or included in redevelopment of services/processes.

Open work environment is sometime challenging from a manager/directors perspective who need to have sensitive and sometime intense conversations with client on phones.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Not sure what direction the company is going
Immature management team
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 24, 2017
SMS operates like a start up company even though it is over a decade old. Upper management fails to streamline processes between departments leaving teams with internal conflicts. Although their software is built in-house, each department utilizes the functions differently creating process confusion.
Horrible and stressful place to work
Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 5, 2017
I would not recommend anyone to work here. the atmosphere is very childish the managers lie and show favoritism. They do not support their employees and they give nothing to the employees to show the appreciation for the hard work that they do. You are not paid what your worth and they hire you for one job but you will do pratically every job in their with no additional pay.
Pros
located in the heart of downtown
Cons
negative atmosphere
I enjoyed working here, and what they had to offer.
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Valpo, INMay 8, 2017
I enjoyed working with the crew that i had, and the crew enjoyed working with me also. The most beneficial task for me was the traveling to different states, and providing the same service.
You are just there to help the executives get richer!
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2017
I worked there for a while and I must say starting off I was hesitant because as an operations manager you have a lot of responsibility but no help and no guidance to go along with that responsibility. I was constantly talking with HR about my department, my team leader, and department head nothing.
Pros
Sometime free lunch
Cons
Pay sucks for the amount of work that you have to do.
Fun workplace
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 1, 2016
Facilities management company. Good managers and coworkers. Great location downtown on Michigan Avenue. Residential and retail customer basis. Most enjoyable part of the job is working with people and the amazing views.
Don't expect a lot
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 24, 2015
Aside from the people you work with, the company doesn't have a lot going for it. If you work in exterior to can count on the owners son to look outside the company when they look to fill supervisory roles.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
No room for growth, rough hours, constant fire drills, treat affiliates like they're nothing
Energetic and motivating work environment
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 8, 2015
Working as a project manager for SMS Assist has been a great learning experience as you are given a territory to run independently. The success of each project managers territory is 100% based on your individual efforts. This level of responsibility not only helps employees grow professionally but also instils a sense of pride and ownership in ones territory which motivates growth and upward mobility.

As you move upward within the company you will take on more accounts and locations that you are managing independently. This creates a strong skill set in the importance of time management, organization and prioritization. Skill sets for which, are incredibly crucial in achieving success in this business.

The most enjoyable part of the job as project manager at SMS Assist is having the opportunity to work with many different people everyday. Working with multiple corporate executives, contractors, and location managers on a daily basis is such a great way to learn and grow, as you are constantly adapting new communication methods and escalation or conflict resolution styles and techniques. Everyone has a different way of doing business, learning to work with all different personality types has been very beneficial.
Pros
Good benefits, free gym membership
Dynamic Environment
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2015
The company experienced significant growth on a daily basis, all the while maintaining a steady brand image and mission. Great to its employees.
Good Place to work
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2015
good work culture and flexibility. They keep you apprised of expectations and changes in protocols
A different experience to learn from
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 10, 2014
My entire experience was not bad at SMS. I met some great people along the way and learned some new skills that I can use in everyday life and with my home business as well. There is no such thing as management, when you are a new company jumping into the future. There was a huge lack of comprehensible management and organization. Everything was on the fly and developed along the way. Not in the best interest of the employees but to cover ones tail in the end. There is a lot to this company and they would benefit from management training, diversity training, and professional communication training. There is a lot of potential leaders there and I was one of them but we are not in a position to expand on our leadership due to personal feelings. If you were in the boys club, then yes there is much potential but it is not designed nor groomed to promote anyone of ethnicity into a management position.
Pros
Working with vendors and clients, some co-workers
Cons
too many to honestly describe and keep a balance.
Quickly expanding, fun work environment
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 22, 2014
This company is expanding quickly and overall the work is easy. Employees are forced to work 50 to 60 hours a week, and due to being salary do not expect to be paid for these hours. Over all employees are great and this can be a fun place to work.
Pros
Wear Jeans, John Hancock Center, Great employee parties
Cons
Work 50 to 60 hours a week
overworked
Assistant Project Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 26, 2014
there were too many bosses and not enough team players. Although it was a temp job, I'm glad that it ended. The clients were always complaining and they weren't helpful to finding resolution.
laid back yet hard charging
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2014
helped resolve issues to ensure clients received all the services they needed
Pros
Enjoy the people with whom I work
Cons
In need of more Operations Associatea
Good for fresh out of grads
OPERATIONS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 16, 2014
Management is terrible but if you are looking for a "check" this is the place to work. Learn what you can and go to another company.
You will never get a raise
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2014
It does not matter how hard you work for this company. You will never get a raise, a bonus or even a cost of living adjustment. They expect you to work long hours and do not offer any advancement opportunities. They are happy to give you more responsibilities, but they will never compensate you for it. My boss was the 29 year old owners daughter and she was very unprofessional both in appearance and in personality. This is not a good company to work for if you want the work you do to be valued or appreciated.
Pros
I worked from home.
Cons
Long hours, no advancement, no raise ever, no bonus ever, poor management, poor communications, poor benefits package
Very appealing work environment
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2013
A typical work day is working with providers that I have personall cold sourced for, negotiated with, contracted and effectively manage on a day to day basis. I also communicate with the client on a daily basis, ranging from all levels of corporate.

I have learned team leadership, team coesiveness, patience, management and healthy organizational practices.

My co-workers are fantastic people, the job can be taxing but everyone is in the same fox-hole together. We would all be able to get together after work, no questions asked.

The hardest part of the job is dealing providers with professional business practices that are different from my own.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the people I work with and suceeding with the accounts I have been trusted with.
Pros
Downtown Chicago, work environment
Cons
No 401k match, less than average benefits, more lateral moves than upward
Facilities Management Firm
Compliance Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 25, 2013
The company culture is reminiscent of a frat house/college dorm. The work is monotonous and can become dull rather quickly. The departments do not work collectively as a team; policies are not implemented to ensure each department is on the same page. At times, practices don't align with the stated "mission statement."

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SMS Assist. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6