SNC-Lavalin Employee Reviews

Not treated fairly
Piping Designer/CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WA 98011April 25, 2017
I am sad to report that I was never treated fairly at this job. My manager talked about me in a negative way to my co-workers and treated me like I was a ditzy teenager. There was a lot of pressure from the men on the team; they expected me to act a certain way, but didn't make it clear what the expectations were.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Hostile environment
Total disorganization
Construction Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brandywine, MDMarch 16, 2017
In my 38 years as a professional, I have never worked for a more disjointed organization. No planning and no corporate guidance. All poor characteristics for a construction project. Decisions were either made on the spur of the moment with out weighing relevant information or drug out way too long.
stop
Sr. Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Brandywine, MDMarch 15, 2017
Limited 8 mo. experience under 3-4 managers. Good intentions from company but management execution was very variable, including goals to be achieved. Good benefits and work environment. Multi-cultural workforce, so lots of opportunity to compare experiences.
Very positive enviroment, good people who value their employees
Database Update Steward (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXFebruary 5, 2017
Morning coffee with donuts from vendors, then off to work. Most of the work is done independently. Some projects require working with others. Everyone I worked with were team players. Everyone helped one another on projects to meet deadlines.

There was no competition with this job. Everyone did the best job they could do, and were always willing to help others who may need help. This company has some dedicated employees who are a pleasure to work with. Great managers too.
Pros
Free lunches and breakfast often from vendors
Cons
I really can't think of any cons to this job
employee enagement within my department was great.
QA/QC Manager II (Former Employee) –  New Iberia, LAJanuary 31, 2017
-Valerus/SNC I can give an overall rating of 8. The manufacturing department was structured under the lean program. In the position of QA/QC manager II in a fast pace environment required me to be very organized, efficient and accurate.
Pros
I built a very dedicated team to work under me.
Cons
I feel there were unqualified people in key positions.
Good starting vacation package, and work hours.
Piping Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WAJanuary 2, 2017
I'll say that despite my criticisms I had of the place, it was a very nice place to work and gain experience for my budding engineering career.

Pros:
- Good atmosphere with friendly coworkers for the most part. Many of which became life long friends of mine.
- A culture that didn't stress deadlines to the point of overworking its employees without compensation.
- Good location, outside of Seattle.

Cons:
- Layoffs were frequent due to the cyclic nature of power plant design and construction. Contractors flourished, but some people just wanted a job to stay put at. You had to be pretty good to avoid layoffs.
- Department budgeting often times put groups who should be cooperating at odds with each other. Too many times it was "not my problem" or the blame game was played, which interfered with productivity, moral, and progress.
Silos Coming Down
Sr. Instrumentation & Controls Designer (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WADecember 13, 2016
With the introduction of the SmartPlant tools SPI, SPPID, SP3D we learned to work together and break down the silos that were put up in the past. My manager helped to make our group a more cohesive and as a team
Pros
Lunch and learns, supportive manager
Très bien
Soudeur homologué (Former Employee) –  AlgerDecember 13, 2016
Très grande société sport culture cuisine nature tout et très bien
Pros
Repas gratuit
Cons
Salaire un faible
Assistant to Director of Projects, Oil & Gas (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 2, 2016
Friendly atmosphere and great team experience. Great work culture and enjoyed working with management and friendly co-workers. Enjoyed extra-curricular events and celebrations.
Pros
Office culture
Cons
Benefits; layoffs
very professional and relaxed atmosphere
Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bothell, WAOctober 3, 2016
This is a construction company that specializes in thermal power plants all around the world. However, because of the the decline in gas pricises, our company is having a hard time finding new projects to work on.
The company as a whole has asked all the employees to find other work, take long vacations, or work less hours until the end of 2016.
Pros
Professional people
Cons
not enought projects to support the employees
good employee
Assistant to Chief Financial Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 26, 2016
not stressful, supportive staff, but management is inexperienced. It is in general a friendly environment for all the staff.
cheap
Senior P&ID Designer/DMS Checker (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXSeptember 16, 2016
cheap and bottom line driven
drastically underpay there employee's
starving employees just for the sole purpose of the company
Pros
Cons
all
Great job, Bad management
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDSeptember 2, 2016
Project manager talked down to employees, and did not treat employees equal. Good place to learn how to handle a secretarial position/duties.
Excellent engineering company globally
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Exton, PAAugust 29, 2016
My time with SNC was within the Pharma group based in the US, Exton PA. I really liked the company on a global level, because they had a lot to offer an employee looking to grow. However, because it was a bought out organization, the SNC culture never really took. I would say it's like saying that you work for Mercedes, but really it's a little mom n' pop service station that setup some deal with Mercedes to service their cars based upon their location. There were some management issues that could be seen there and they truly don't treat their employees very well. I was happy to have had the experience and also happy to have left, especially on my own terms.
Pros
Global project opportunities
Cons
Mismanaged and poorly marketed
Productive and efficient organization.
Industrial Electrician/Cable terminator (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDAugust 4, 2016
SNC Lavalin is a very efficient and organized environment to work in. Regular training is available and required to keep employees up to date on the latest trends in safety. Overtime is readily available to all trades.
Tough place to work
Lead Designer / Checker (Former Employee) –  Downtown HoustonJuly 14, 2016
Management did not see the value in communication amongst groups and especially between groups. I frequently ate lunch and had meetings with other department leads and as such was viewed with suspicion.
Pros
The pay and location were great
Cons
Poor communication
Very disorganized - Merging of a couple companies not going well
Sr. Designer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 1, 2016
Most of the managers are trying to slim down there department as they don't have much work by making up fictitious allegations bout the employee to fire them so they don't have to pay any compensation.
Pros
not many pros - very disorganized with very little work
Cons
they do not have the right programs and tools to compete
Strong safety culture
Resident Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Huíla, AngolaApril 14, 2016
A world class company in all senses. A very strong safety culture, technically advanced, highly professional environment.
Excellent Engineering Firm
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 9, 2016
While working for this engineering firm, the expertise and knowledge of the management staff was admired. The leverage of interaction was versatile, along with the capabilities of interaction with international clients.
Pros
Very supportive of staff members
Cons
No advancement available
Its a place where you can demonstrate your abilities
Senior Mechanical Specialist (Current Employee) –  BangaldeshMarch 20, 2016
Flexible timing is a good to start with as a work place. Accessibility of technical resources and huge company data bank assist in solving issues at work at much quicker pace.
Pros
As indicated in above review.
Cons
My Role is project based and as such family life is hampering.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SNC-Lavalin. Our community is ready to answer.