SNC-Lavalin

SNC-Lavalin Employee Reviews

okay
Mechanical CAD Designer (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 18, 2014
The engineering companies I have worked for have largely been the same.
Awesome Management, Advancement Opps Endless
SAFETY COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Borger, TXSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: great environment, great pay, wonderful management
This is the most organized company I have worked for. Advancement potential is endless depending on how far and how hard you want to work. They give regular increases. They offer relocation. Good coworkers and good management.
Good place to work.
Junior Instrument/Analyzer Designer (Former Employee), Baytown, TXAugust 17, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: management inconsistent
Nose to the grind stone work environment. Good people and adequate managers.
It's a job
Project Support (Former Employee), Augusta, MEJuly 8, 2014
Pros: great co workers and environment. good pay
Cons: lack of advancement, training and qualified management.
No place for advancement and lack of manager/management involvment...
Challenging Job
o HSE Inspector (Former Employee), Freeport, TXJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: getting to drive into the plant and getting to leave for lunch.
Cons: long hours, hardly ever got a full weekend off.
Normal work day would start around 6:30 in the morning. I enjoyed standing out on the entrance ramp to the project and greet as many of the 1500 contractors that I could. Some mornings could be very challenging, having to write permits, taking care of other issues as needed. The hardest part sometimes was getting managment to back me up. I would point issues out but production was the main goal. The thing I enjoyed the most was the actual contractors. So many of them from out of state and even out of the country. I always enjoyed hanging out with them after work at the local pub, getting to know them.
Productive and professional workplace. Very team orientated coworkers who were willing to help me gain the necessary experience.
"Piping Designer" (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 30, 2013
Pros: flex schedule, four 9 hour days which allowed for a 4 hour work load on fridays.
Cons: travel, traffic dealt with on a daily basis
A typical day at work consisted of working directly with engineers as well as project leads to accomplish the job in a timely manner. I learned many important skills on the theory and correct ways to design piping systems as well as duct work routing. The management was willing to teach me necessary skills to help me gain the experience I would need to finish the work on my own. The hardest part of my job was making sure all designed systems followed the necessary safety requirements and clearance spacing to fit into a plant that was already designed for specific pipe routing. Each team or group that I worked with made sure to follow practical drafting practices as well as follow all OSHA and other safety requirements. The most enjoyable part of my time at SNC Lavalin was to see the finished work. To go into the field and check to make sure the installers followed our drawings and to see how much the work resembled the model we produced gave me a great sense of accomplishment and pride.
Great overall working atmosphere but little/no job security
Translator/Report Specialist (Former Employee), RMSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: benefits and working atmosphere
Cons: no job security
A typical day: start at 8 am, co-workers are friendly, and at the same time productive. Work is self-timed by a Gantt Chart, therefore you self-pace your work .Coffee breaks are short but energizing. Morning goes by fast. Lunch is 45 min, only enough time to go outside to get a sandwich if you consider the lines. Afternoon pretty much the same, but longer; until 6:30 pm. Fridays are casual and scheduled until 2:00 pm.
I learned a lot about on-site engineer terms, mechanics of machinery and about geology. Management seems competent but does not engage with workers much. Co-workers were friendly for the most part, although there's little time at work to get to know them.
The hardest part of my job was meeting the deadlines. The most enjoyable part was when I finished a project and was happy with the end-result.
PLET,PLEM,UTA
SENIOR SUBSEA ENGINEER QA/QC/DELTA (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 26, 2013
Working as per a FEED/FEL for a client in the Oil and Gas industry
Surmont 2, Fort Mac
General helper (Current Employee), Surmont 2, Fort MacMay 20, 2013
Pros: room & board
Cons: see above
Management is a complete disaster. HR can't get benefits to workers before 5-7 months when the promise is 3 months. High staff turnover, low morale. Safety is just a word, equiptment never gets repaired, bedbugs. The list is almost endless how they show little to no regard for the staff.
Wonderful Intern Program, Great place to work over all.
Auto Cad Drafter (Former Employee), Baytown, TXFebruary 7, 2013
Typical day started with donuts. Fun start to our work day, however I gain a few pounds there. Work and consisted of 10 hour days.
I learned the I & E process for Exxon Mobil.
Supervisor worked great with all of the interns. They gave us plenty of work and overtime was optional.
The hardest part of the job was leaving after the internship was completed.
The most enjoyable part of the job was learn the Cad system along with other and learning form each other mistakes as well as their accomplishments.
Busy
HSE Supervisor/Trainer (Current Employee), Anchorage, AKJanuary 5, 2013
Work site keeps us very busy. Everyone works together for the safety of the employees. I enjoy getting to do walk around inspections and getting to see all the different trades working together.
Production, focus
Sr Piping Designer (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 26, 2012
Pros: flexible hours, project challenges, employees
Cons: travel distance
Projects are a desirable challenge, always changing to better meet the customers needs.
My process, mechanical skills are always in demand for this and other positions.
Management keeps a flexible environment to maintain the safe and timely project schedule.
Stay away!
Project Manager (Former Employee), Rochester, NYDecember 18, 2012
Pros: can't think of any
Cons: too much to list
Management makes empty promises to the client which they know they can't fulfill. They hire poorly qualified people to lead their projects groups. Management has no qualms about crossing ethical lines.

January 3, 2013

i am a current worker w snc. i damaged a personal drill at work and they refused to replace it because it wasnt in the budget due to the managements year end bonuses coming up around that time. no regard for the workers or their safety.its all about money to these guys.they would not order new parts to replace old parts.instead they would have me search the buildings on site for old used parts.i was rushed through most jobs causing near misses and potential high risk situations.they hire kids off the street to do jobs that typically would require certification.i dunno how they get away with it but this is where our tax dollars are spent. thanks. hope this helps.

Not too Shabby!
HSE Inspector (Current Employee), Freeport, TXOctober 28, 2012
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: working for samsung.
Depending on the needs of the project, we worked anything from 5/10s to 7/12s. I learned to never work on a Samsung Engineering project anywhere ever again. The SNC-Lavalin management onsite treated us great and had our backs against the Samsung management who saw us "as cattle" (a quote from one of the Samsung employees). The hardest part of the job was reconciling between multiple different safety regulations. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to see employees go home safe everyday.
Great work environment with friendly staff
Oil & Gas Industrial Drafter (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 7, 2012
A great place to work with everyone friendly and knowledgeable, helping each other out.
environement de travail agréable
Chragée de relations extérieurs (Former Employee), AlgerJuly 15, 2012
Pros: repas gratuit
Cons: dévellopemnt profesionnel
la capacité d'occuper plusieurs poste au même temps, et de répondre à la demande de chacun des postes dans un délais résonnable et la qualité de travail plus qu'acceptable.
possibilité de de devellopement de carrières et de promotion
les défits de mon poste de travail étaient grand et la vonlonté d'avancer et de répondre aus défits étaient grand.
milieu de travail agréable.

About SNC-Lavalin

Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is one of the leading engineering and construction groups in the world and a major player in the – Read more

SNC-Lavalin Salaries