SNC-Lavalin Employee Reviews in United States

Very disorganized - Merging of a couple companies not going well
Sr. Designer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 1, 2016
Most of the managers are trying to slim down there department as they don't have much work by making up fictitious allegations bout the employee to fire them so they don't have to pay any compensation.
Pros
not many pros - very disorganized with very little work
Cons
they do not have the right programs and tools to compete
Strong safety culture
Resident Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Huíla, AngolaApril 14, 2016
A world class company in all senses. A very strong safety culture, technically advanced, highly professional environment.
Excellent Engineering Firm
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 9, 2016
While working for this engineering firm, the expertise and knowledge of the management staff was admired. The leverage of interaction was versatile, along with the capabilities of interaction with international clients.
Pros
Very supportive of staff members
Cons
No advancement available
Its a place where you can demonstrate your abilities
Senior Mechanical Specialist (Current Employee) –  BangaldeshMarch 20, 2016
Flexible timing is a good to start with as a work place. Accessibility of technical resources and huge company data bank assist in solving issues at work at much quicker pace.
Pros
As indicated in above review.
Cons
My Role is project based and as such family life is hampering.
interesting and challanging work environment
Senior/Lead Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, MAFebruary 18, 2016
Interesting and challenging work environment, global company with diverse projects. I am with them for a 2.5 years. Looking for a more prospects to grow and achieve my financial goals.
Pros
big company with a lot of resources
Cons
Smapp office with little growth potential
great place to work.
Document Control Supervisor @ ExxonMobil, Baytown (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2016
Good place to work. Enjoyed working with all the management and the employees, Enjoyed the daily interaction with my group, and the client.
it is great company
INSTRUMENTATION & CONTROL SYSTEM ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 30, 2015
it is very good work place and the managers is very great , but they don't have enough work for every body. the work hours is flexible and the co-workers is helpful.
Pros
Flexable work hours
Cons
Bad Project managers
Goal is to become a top teer engineering and construction company in the USA and world wide
LEAD DESIGNER (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 9, 2015
Typical work week is a 4 day 40 hr work schedule. Learned Cadworx and scheduled to learn smart plant 3d.. Co works are nice but clickish. Hardest part of job is waiting on work to come in. The most enjoyable part of job is a calm work environment.
Pros
4 day normal work week
Cons
too many daily meetings
Productive and fan work place.
Contract Administrator Assistant (Former Employee) –  PanamaAugust 29, 2015
I like a good place to work and productive and have fan. I mean not to be borried. Also a company where I can grow and develop. I like place where I can have a lot of variety in what I did each day.
Pros
have lunch at cafetiria
Cons
healthcare, short break
Great Company to work for. Good Communication, Productive,
QS, Quality Support, ExxonMobil Beaumont Tx (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXAugust 10, 2015
1. Unit work walk downs.
2. n-pack of safety on every Project verses schedules. Have to work Hand -in-Hand.
3. Great understandable Management personnel.
4. Well they can in all Kind's...LOL. But we had a great group of co-workers.
5. The Long Hours after 4 or 5 Weeks.
6. When the Turnarounds ended with all the long hours. A Smooth start up of units.
Pros
Good support with providing work supplies.
Cons
Getting through the Gates to the Plant.
Very professional yet friendly work environment
AutoCad drafter (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXFebruary 12, 2015
As an hourly contractor, best to be early, nearly always was.Learned that there is a pecking order for new employees to be aware of(don't speak at meetings unless asked). While it does depend on the person, generally, the multi decade managers are very encouraging and supportive. As I did not fit the typical age range for my placement status, others in my league tended to be aloof. The best part , might be the most difficult as well, very quiet work by the hour, must be prepared to sit for long periods.
Pros
pleasant work environment
Cons
hourly can seem long at times
okay
Mechanical CAD Designer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 18, 2014
The engineering companies I have worked for have largely been the same.
Awesome Management, Advancement Opps Endless
SAFETY COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Borger, TXSeptember 10, 2014
This is the most organized company I have worked for. Advancement potential is endless depending on how far and how hard you want to work. They give regular increases. They offer relocation. Good coworkers and good management.
Pros
great environment, great pay, wonderful management
Good place to work.
Junior Instrument/Analyzer Designer (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXAugust 17, 2014
Nose to the grind stone work environment. Good people and adequate managers.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
management inconsistent
It's a job
Project Support (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEJuly 8, 2014
No place for advancement and lack of manager/management involvment...
Pros
great co workers and environment. good pay
Cons
lack of advancement, training and qualified management.
Challenging Job
o HSE Inspector (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXJanuary 15, 2014
Normal work day would start around 6:30 in the morning. I enjoyed standing out on the entrance ramp to the project and greet as many of the 1500 contractors that I could. Some mornings could be very challenging, having to write permits, taking care of other issues as needed. The hardest part sometimes was getting managment to back me up. I would point issues out but production was the main goal. The thing I enjoyed the most was the actual contractors. So many of them from out of state and even out of the country. I always enjoyed hanging out with them after work at the local pub, getting to know them.
Pros
getting to drive into the plant and getting to leave for lunch.
Cons
long hours, hardly ever got a full weekend off.
Productive and professional workplace. Very team orientated coworkers who were willing to help me gain the necessary experience.
"Piping Designer" (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 30, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of working directly with engineers as well as project leads to accomplish the job in a timely manner. I learned many important skills on the theory and correct ways to design piping systems as well as duct work routing. The management was willing to teach me necessary skills to help me gain the experience I would need to finish the work on my own. The hardest part of my job was making sure all designed systems followed the necessary safety requirements and clearance spacing to fit into a plant that was already designed for specific pipe routing. Each team or group that I worked with made sure to follow practical drafting practices as well as follow all OSHA and other safety requirements. The most enjoyable part of my time at SNC Lavalin was to see the finished work. To go into the field and check to make sure the installers followed our drawings and to see how much the work resembled the model we produced gave me a great sense of accomplishment and pride.
Pros
flex schedule, four 9 hour days which allowed for a 4 hour work load on fridays.
Cons
travel, traffic dealt with on a daily basis
Great overall working atmosphere but little/no job security
Translator/Report Specialist (Former Employee) –  RMSeptember 4, 2013
A typical day: start at 8 am, co-workers are friendly, and at the same time productive. Work is self-timed by a Gantt Chart, therefore you self-pace your work .Coffee breaks are short but energizing. Morning goes by fast. Lunch is 45 min, only enough time to go outside to get a sandwich if you consider the lines. Afternoon pretty much the same, but longer; until 6:30 pm. Fridays are casual and scheduled until 2:00 pm.
I learned a lot about on-site engineer terms, mechanics of machinery and about geology. Management seems competent but does not engage with workers much. Co-workers were friendly for the most part, although there's little time at work to get to know them.
The hardest part of my job was meeting the deadlines. The most enjoyable part was when I finished a project and was happy with the end-result.
Pros
benefits and working atmosphere
Cons
no job security
Plet,plem,uta
SENIOR SUBSEA ENGINEER QA/QC/DELTA (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 26, 2013
Working as per a FEED/FEL for a client in the Oil and Gas industry
Surmont 2, Fort Mac
General helper (Current Employee) –  Surmont 2, Fort MacMay 20, 2013
Management is a complete disaster. HR can't get benefits to workers before 5-7 months when the promise is 3 months. High staff turnover, low morale. Safety is just a word, equiptment never gets repaired, bedbugs. The list is almost endless how they show little to no regard for the staff.
Pros
room & board
Cons
see above

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SNC-Lavalin. Our community is ready to answer.