SNC Employee Reviews in United States

A word of caution (N-context, MACE subsidiary in Herndon VA)
Cyber Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Herndon VAMay 25, 2015
***This is a a review of the NContext/MACE subsidiary of SNC***

Although I rarely ever take the time to write a negative review (in general negativity is a waste of time) I feel somewhat obligated to place a word of warning for anyone considering moving to Herndon to take a job with the N-context/MACE branch of SNC. Especially if you have a family or dependents that depend on your job security.

First the positive; there are several highly intelligent, friendly and competent engineers that work for the company. As far as coworkers go they were a pleasure to work with, knew what they needed to know and were team players. Many of the project managers (who lead the individual portfolios) were also on point.

What I would caution you on is the general lack of direction on the part of the management; which in the contracting business leads to extremely shaky job security (you being employed is directly dependent on them obtaining, and keeping contracts). I passed up dozens of other offers to work for the MACE because it appeared to be an innovative environment. They specifically emphasized in the interview that employees need to be willing to be part of several projects/roles and learn new skills. Management also emphasized they wanted "everyone to be an innovator" and to "not be afraid to fail or offer suggestions". Essentially what it felt like is they are trying to create an innovative "think tank". This sounded exactly like the place I could sink my teeth into and really apply myself...

However...

..without the culture, or team building environment, to back it
  more... up there is little actual innovation going on. Without going into detail the phrase "research and development" has become a dirty word in the organization at large (SNC), which is completely counter to the "everyone an innovator" message they are trying to portray to perspective employees. While they talk a big game, when it comes down to practice, they (management) seem primarily concerned with one thing; their bonus checks, which are directly tied to the percentage of direct labor hours being charged. Basically this means if you uproot your family to work for them in Herndon (one of the highest cost of living areas in the country) they will not hesitate to terminate you for no justifiable reason if they feel like they will have to start charging to overhead while you await a suitable contract to work on. This will leave you in an extremely high rent area with no job and very little compensation.

Aside from that I have little else to say about the organization as I was there for only a short time. Personally I would not recommend the organization to anyone. I received comparable and better (financially) offers from more stable organizations, but decided to take a chance on what appeared to be more of a "start up" environment.

If you do interview with them be sure you question them heavily about the length of the contract you will be working on, the stability of that contract and if there are additional contracts on the horizon that can use your skill set. Basically ensure they have a backup plan to keep you employed should the project you are hired in for dries up without warning. If you do decided to take a job with them keep your resume up to date and have other offers continually on the table. You and your family will be thankful you did.
Pros
There are some great people working at the engineer level and a few good project managers.
Cons
Management seems like they are lost, and grasping at straws. This leads to extremely unstable job security in a very high cost area.
Good
Logistic /Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  PRApril 1, 2014
I have learned here to be more agressive in my decision - making and my leadership capabilities
great company
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 1, 2014
very detailed and professional company one of the best companies I ever worked for.
Classfied mod. installations
Aerotek contractor Avionics Tech. (Former Employee) –  Engelwood, CO.December 26, 2013
Gained experience as a PC-12 avionics tech. experienced in prepareing avionics systems wire harnesses for the pc-12 airframe, to include Cockpit upgrades .
Enjoyed going to work
Central Station Manager (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSAugust 28, 2013
Supervised employee's and handled alarm signals

My co-workers are like family

Hardest part of the job was all the different hours (worked some on all shifts)

The most enjoyable part of the job was talking with the customers and see my co-workers
Pros
customers come first
Cons
not a set schedule