Social Security Administration Employee Reviews

It's typical government office environment
ADMINISTRATIVE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 14, 2018
Flexible work schedule. Worked well with my school schedule. I don't student program exists anymore though. There were plenty of learning opportunities.
Review
Verbatim Hearing/Contract Reporter (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAFebruary 14, 2018
A typical day would be preparing document for hearing, escorting claimant into hearing room, setting up equipment for hearing, waiting Judge to be ready, turn on recording with equipment, type fast accurate notes into database/computer. Very friendly work environment, Hardest part of the job would be the speed of typing the notes accurately, I enjoyed all parts of the job.
Stress city
Telephone Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 12, 2018
Training is to learn to pass a test. Once you are out of training you are given a mentor to actually train you in the day-to-day things. Very stressful and high-pressure. Not for everyone.
Pros
Solid, dependable work
Cons
Stress, training isn't that good, lots of family members work together so watch what you say
Awesome
CLAIMS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Oroville, CAFebruary 9, 2018
I loved working for this agency. My manager was awesome. I would still be there had they consented to a transfer when my spouse want to relocate to TN.
Pros
Wages, Health Benefits, Retirement, Co-Woprkers
Government job - great place to work
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 8, 2018
I had a 26 year career with SSA with numerous promotions throughout the years.
Started as a service rep, retired a Manager, up the ladder in between.
Was also a trainer for many years.
Benefits
Loved this Job
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 8, 2018
I had recently moved back home after serving in the Military. I was able to work with an amazing group of people and was able to form lasting friendships. I still maintain contact with most of the staff the office where I worked was closed down and I relocated to a different home.
Pros
Set schedules, government job, great pay
Cons
Office shut down
Productive professional setting while engaged in challenging deliverables.
Lead Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDFebruary 7, 2018
Relaxed but professional atmosphere. Daily challenged to provide excellent product due to end result directly impacting the American people. Technically, learned about Control-M and how to perform DB2 Loads and Unloads. Everyday the monitoring and the necessity to be proactive put pressure on daily performance. Long standing technical staff willingness to guide newer professionals and aide them in transitioning into the SSA culture was the most enjoyable part of the work experience.
Pros
senior techs flexibility and understanding
Cons
length of time getting access
SSA overview
CLIENT SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 5, 2018
SSA was a federal job that had its pros and cons however, unfortunately in my experience, more cons. There were a lot of incapable personal that held positions that they were not qualified.
A great place to work!
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 2, 2018
There is a lot to learn and you are always learning. You are constantly working with the public and helping people.Although some people get irate and take it out on you. There is very little structure in the upper Management but middle Management is great! It's a fun place to work
Pros
Flex hours, benefits, middle Management is great
Cons
No structure in upper Management, cliques within the office
Nice Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 1, 2018
Typical day was hectic. Pressure to be productive and accurate. Helpful, kind co-workers helped you. Learned a lot, but it was difficult, high pressure, stressful job that required excellent memory and computer skills. Management were helpful team players. Workplace culture was mostly positive and supportive, although job itself could be stressful and demanding if you did not maintain positive mindset. Most enjoyable part of job was helping customers who were kind and caring. Met many great people and had support. If you don't mind sitting or standing in a cubicle all day long, you shouldn't mind not being able to have freedom of movement on job. There were opportunities for advancement that were strongly encouraged by management. Policies and procedures were clear and concise. Pay was fair to low depending on position.
Pros
Great co-workers, wonderful customers, good management, thorough training program
Cons
Can be stressful, lots of pressure to be productive and precise, restricted freedom of movement, pay is fair
Rewarding Work
Senior Case Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOJanuary 30, 2018
I love my job. We are trained to treat all customers with dignity and respect. I work in the Hearing office for the Social Security Administration so we deal with more of the legal aspect of the process and not with the financial aspect. Our duties include pr
preparing each claim for Hearing before the Administrative Law Judge.
Good salary, bad management
Claims Representative, GS-11 (Current Employee) –  Elkhart, INJanuary 30, 2018
Good salary, bad management in my office. Management is better in other offices and each office follows a general policy but it can be different from place to place. As an agency we are overworked and understaffed.
Overall Rating
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 29, 2018
Very poor management; cut-throat and hostile work environment. Mandated "over-time" because work load was so overwhelming it was impossible to keep up in eight hour work day.
A daily job
Assistant Clerk (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORJanuary 28, 2018
I was a part-time employee at social security and I was trained on the postal system.
I would come in and have 175-300 pieces of mail that would have to be weighed, stamped and sorted through the postal machine.
After the outgoing mail was done the incoming mail would have to be opened and alphabetically sorted. If there were checks present, they would have to be documented and copied. Legal documentation also had to be date stamped and copied and sent to the appropriate employee.
Pros
Worked independently
Cons
No benefits, only part time, no benfits
For 20 years SSA was a great place to work. The last five years were very stressful and unrewarding. The agency focus had changed with automation,
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJanuary 27, 2018
For 20 years I enjoyed working with my colleagues and the people we served. I had been trained to treat each person as I would want a family member to be treated. I was trained to not cut corners.

When the baby boomers began to retire and apply for retirement and disability the work loads increased and the number of people employed decreased. The agency is trying to process all applications without having personal contact with the US citizens who have paid into the fund. Internet applications are being encouraged and in-person interviews are becoming less available. New employees are trained to work for numbers, not customer satisfaction.
Pros
benefits, payscale
Cons
fast pace, stress
Typical Day
Legal Assistant Case Technician (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 25, 2018
Working for an administrative law judge, developing cases, filing, copying, working at the reception desk periodically, court reporting, continuing education
Productive very stressful
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 25, 2018
Stressful fast pace. You have to work. You cannot be lazy. Work is not difficult. Pay is good but extremely stressful. Paid time off and great retirement
Pros
Paid time of
Cons
Stress
Awful Environment
Translator (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJanuary 24, 2018
The worst managers you could find in a government agency are in the SSA. Prejudice, fraud, and favouritism are rampant. The work environment in my division was very hostile.
Pros
Work - life balance
Cons
Awful management, and fraud
I believe a person can gain a lot of knowledge from Social Security
Senior Case Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2018
A typical day at work for me deals with being on the phone all day long. I send out requests for medical records and I talk with people telling when there hearing is scheduled.
Pros
Not being appreciated for your hard work
Cons
Talking with claimants, attornies and helping people in general
Typical work day
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 21, 2018
Typical day is very busy. The office see about 400 claimants a day. Excessive work. Hardest part of the job is you will never be caught up with your work. There are good benefits, sick leave and vacation time.