Social Security Administration Employee Reviews

Hated It
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  NationwideFebruary 3, 2016
Poor management, poor leadership, poor work/life balance, overwhelming politics and bureaucracy.

Agency is full of nepotism. One of my managers had 4 of his 5 kids working for the agency in management positions.

I filed several claims based on racism and sexism.

Benefits were great.

I enjoyed helping people in need but the negatives outweighed the positives. I left to attend graduate school.
First time in a workplace, exciting
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 31, 2016
I would input clients info into database and provide translation service to hispanics and customer service. It was a good place to be at, friendly environment
Source of income
Social Security Disability (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MIJanuary 30, 2016
The case management and overall pay from social security is very efficient along with Medicare and Medicaid the benefits cover most of the bill so not much comes out of pocket.
Pros
Steady income
Cons
Not enough to live on.
Social Security Administration
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Malden, MAJanuary 27, 2016
I enjoyed working with the public and assisting them with their claims to receive benefits to help pay for the expenses and needs. The group of individuals and managers at the Malden, MA office are a great team and strive to help as many people as they can to get the assistance that they need. I learned a lot from the people there. They were always willing to answer my questions or show how to do something or where to find the information. One of the hardest part about the job was having to tell a person that they were not eligible for benefits when clearly they need assistance. Their living arrangements and income situations sometimes prevented them from receiving benefits.
Pros
great people, benefits were decent
Cons
pay is not the greatest but does go up regularly
Ssa cr
Social Insurance Specialist (Technical Expert) (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 26, 2016
Great Job helping Seniors with their benefits, little or no stress. The work days to run together. Internet claims only. Company will teach you until you get it.
Pros
40 hour work week. No take home work
Cons
same day over and over
Requires a lot of time and attention
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 24, 2016
I enjoyed the people but not necessarily the work. It can quickly get cumbersome but as time goes buy you will learn a system that works for you...hopefully.
productive and easy going place
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2016
Coming in to answer phone calls to for-fill our duties i love my supervisor she's easy going. My co-workers are great we go for lunch together all the time I enjoy work their is nothing that I feel is hard for me in any field.
Pros
food gets delivered to my job, being able to freelance
Cons
benefits, pay
SSA is a federal government agency to provide insurance
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 20, 2016
This was my very first job. As a clerical assistant I handled light clerical work. I was taught using Word Perfect, which has been now replaced by MS Word. I enjoyed working with all of my co-workers who was eager to teach a high school student intern who aspired to be a future clerical professional. The hardest part of the job was learning certain software packages that I did not quite understand, such as Lotus. The most enjoyable part of the job was being rewarded for my hard work through management with certificates that listed accomplishments I made.
Productive workplace with respectful employers involved in helping others.
Clerk/Summer Aide (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 12, 2016
A typical day of work at SSA was always productive without any much down time. I learned how to gain better customer service experience as well as phone reception. Management was always fair and helpful, open to every need and question that I had. My coworkers were extremely nice as well as experienced and offered help everyday. The most enjoyable part of working at SSA was the experience and skill that I gained.
Pros
Great benefits and pay
Cons
short breaks
General Office environment
Federal employee (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 12, 2016
Full time employment with overtime. Sedentary. Monotonous. There was no public contact until I became an Inquiries and Expediting Specialist.
Exciting and Professional
Disability Claims Processer Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 10, 2016
I have worked for my agency for 28 years. It has been an amazing journy and if I had to do it all over again, I would take the same exact path.I have worked in 5 different branches in 4 different offices within the agency and the degree of professionalism, ongoing training, flexibility , respect, team spirit, diversity and positive atmosphere thoughout the agency is second to none. Although the work is tedious and there is a heavy volume of work at all times, we still do manage to have fun and develope close knit personal and family like relationships in and outside of the workplace.
Pros
flexible work schedule, 401K, great medical benefits, work from home schedules, job security
Self rewarding job serving the American Public
Legal Administrative Specialist (Claims Examiner) (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 5, 2016
Consistently given a new challenge everyday, I learned to confidently perform in-dept, life altering decisions for American beneficiaries. Management has very little intervention in final determinations of beneficiary record, all co-workers independently resolve matters, however we do consult well experienced colleagues about extremely complex issues where determining factors are vague. Occasionally I am required to make determinations on behalf of the organizations that disadvantageous to the beneficiary's claim. Resolving issues for beneficiaries provides a most satisfactory experience.
Pros
Low paced position, well maintained facilities and equipment
Cons
High pressure to make final decisions with little research or knowledge beneficiaries
Helping the American people pay rent, eat, and provide medical coverage was a rewarding experience
Manager (Computer Operations; Training; Module) (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 2, 2016
Every day was different, depending on the priorities of the time and potential changes in law. Despite these issues, SSA was a great agency to work for and I am proud to say I made a difference.
Pros
Rewarding job;
Cons
Typical bureaucratic issues
Typical day
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 28, 2015
I have been with SSA for over ten years. It is a great place if you like dealing with the public. Great benefits the staff works well together. Go to usajobs and apply today.
Benefits
Cons
The work is never ending
Productive day at SSA
STUDENT INTERN 2015 (Former Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDDecember 27, 2015
Overall the staff and atmosphere at SSA is great. Interning as a junior and senior in high school has opened my eyes to the real world. I highly recommend the agency to anyone.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
It was an 80 hour internship
Productive and stable
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 14, 2015
It's an average 9 to five job with great security. It's a high stress job working with customers who could be all sorts of emotions, finding out how to deal with angry and inflexible customers was the hardest part of the job. Management is good, they try to keep everything working smoothly. My co-workers were great, they will always be there to help you in and off the job and interacting with them made the day go by faster.
excellent national social insurance program
Executive Officer of Central Operations (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 12, 2015
great place to work for 28 years. I started as A GS 7 and retired as a District Manager in Florida 28 years later at the GS 15 level.
Pros
First class government employer
Cons
great deal of travel
Comfortable & secure work enviorment
Service Repersentative (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCDecember 8, 2015
Pleasant location, easy access to needed materials and training. Opportunities for promotions or transfers were always available.
Co-workers worked well together.
I learned that I had skills that I had never used BUT could be used with SSA.
Mgt. was fair and pleasant to deal with. Co-workers shared responsibilities.
The hardest part was when claimants came in because of having lost a family member OR they were denied disability benefits.
The most satisfying part was seeing the appreciation the claimants showed when they realized what SSA could do to help them.
Pros
Equal job pay and advancement for those qualified.
Cons
I have no CONS. If I were much younger and job searching, it would be t he first place I would apply.
A very trustworthy company
beneficiary (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXDecember 7, 2015
I have been receiving benefits from the Social Security Administration since 1999 and have no problems in getting my pay from them. The hardest part is I am in the low poverty level and can barley make ends meet.
Pros
Free money
Cons
Little pay
Love working here
CSR (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 30, 2015
There is a lot of room for growth here, the managers are very supportive. We work on what they call " flex time" which means you can come in as early as 6am or as late as 9:30. It allows you to make your doctors appointments or just sleep in late on Mondays. Family like atmosphere.
Pros
flex time, cafeteria
Cons
non