Social Security Administration

Social Security Administration Employee Reviews

Fulfilling Public Service
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Inglewood, CA 90302March 23, 2017
SSA allowed me to maximize my customer service prowess and quick-study ability to excel at public service through teamwork, humility, compassion, and selflessness.
Pros
Excellent Benefits; Job security
Cons
NA
Productive and exciting place to work
Teleservice Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 21, 2017
A typical day at work is manning the national 1-800 number, answering questions from the general public and congressional inquires. What I learned was a great deal of information about how Social Security Administration is administered.
Pros
Fun co-worker
Good Government Job
Service Representative/Teleservice representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 13, 2017
The job is very customer focused and provides very competitive pay and benefits for the type of work you do. The biggest issue with the job is that it is dependent up congress to annually approve the budget to keep the department running.
Difficult place to work
Customer Service Representative Ability (Former Employee) –  Yuba City, CAMarch 9, 2017
I'm sure not all SSA offices are like the one I experienced. It was a hostile work environment, not friendly to veterans (customers or employees), your under a two year probation, the training does you no justice. I felt like I was set up for failure from the beginning.
Solid Job Security
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAMarch 7, 2017
Good Pay and Good benefits With Excellent Pay Raises. Because this is a federal position I will not go into too much detail about what the position is about except for the information I have already posted.
my career as a claims rep
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NCMarch 6, 2017
I spent my day interviewing claimants and processing applications and eligibility reviews. I learned that the public perception of disability applicants is wrongheaded; almost every applicant/recipient would much rather be able to work. While my co-workers were dedicated and hard working, upper management was hide-bound and lacked both awareness and courage. The tragedy of the Federal Civil Service is that Congress, which depends on the Civil Service to translate their hot air into action on behalf of the American people, fails to support the very institution which gives them substance.
Pros
secure employment, good benefits and retirement
Cons
miserable work environment
Federal Job
Benefits Authorizer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 3, 2017
This a typical Federal job controlling benefits and how they are paid, how much they are paid, and if they are paid. You need a degree to work there.
Different culture
Teleservice Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAMarch 1, 2017
Cube farm work with as many as five different levels if supervisor listening in to and critiquing telephone calls. A good government job if you look to spend your life at a desk.
Excellent
Information Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDFebruary 26, 2017
Talented people to work with. Great work life balance. Benefits are outstanding. Promotion potential can be difficult at times but in time it can happen.
Pros
Great work life
Yes its good
Disabled (Current Employee) –  Clinton, INFebruary 25, 2017
Its good wish it was more but it is what it is. I wish they knew how hard it is to live on the little bit some of us get each month....
Pros
Im greatful for what I get.
Cons
Wish it was more
Great management staff and awesome work enviroment
07 Contact Service Representative (Current Employee) –  National City, CAFebruary 22, 2017
I usually see about 50-80 clients a day depending on traffic through our office that day. On a daily basis, I work with many outside agencies, federal and local. My clientele's ethic backgrounds are from all over the world as well as their social statuses. I am fortunate to have my particular management team. They are highly professional with an employee-first mentality that provides an outstanding work environment. The hardest part about my job is, with the tremendously high volume of clients needing our services, giving each individual person and benefit claim the much needed attention while trying to maintain our workload at a reasonable level. The best part about this job is definitely how rewarding it is to help so many people in so many ways when they absolutely need help the most.
This is a place of favoritism, prejudice and bias
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAFebruary 22, 2017
No chance of advancement unless you are well liked by management. Doesn't matter if you are efficient at your job. Work is pretty standard administrative, the executive are high maintained. My manager is flexible with telework and time-off. Hardest part of the job is the lack of teamwork.
Independent Contractor
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Missouri and KansasFebruary 19, 2017
There is no typical day.
Work is scheduled when they need you, which doesn't necessarily coincide with individuals schedules.
This work is very detail oriented, requires a great deal of flexibility and patience.
One should expect to have their workday changed with a great deal of frequency, sometimes cancelled at the last minute
The most enjoyable part of this work is working with the judges and their support staff.
Pros
Judges and support staff
Cons
constant changes and cancellations in schedules
Nice place to work for friendly coworkers
Office Support (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDFebruary 5, 2017
A typical work day included sorting of the daily mail, making sure each department received their mail. Data entry of clients income in the computer so they receive their social security benefits.
I learned valuable computer skills during the course of my employment.
Pros
Valuable computer skills learned.
Cons
Eyes started to hurt looking at computer.
good benefits and quality of life
Attorney Advisor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 5, 2017
If you would like to have good benefits and quality of life, this is the right job. If you want to make a lot of money, then you probably should work in the private sector.
Great learning experience
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDFebruary 4, 2017
Accomplish a lot of goals having a good work ethic communication skills typing skills power point presentation I learn a lot about this job and I will love too work here again as a career on my achievements
Cons
Health care
Ssi
Social Security Income Claim Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 1, 2017
I was a illegibility worked. I helped customers with their application. I helped the get all the documentation they needed for their application. I called doctors I submitted documents. The hardest part of my job was when my clients were denied services when I knew the qualified because some were dying from cancer of other terminal illness. The best part was that I worked from 8 to 5 and I was able to get home by 6.
Pros
good pay, management, environment
Cons
service denial to client who needed it
Productive environment and celebration of all holidays
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 31, 2017
I love helping people.
Excellent pay
Health care and benefits were good
Celebration of all holidays
Training was good
Awards for excellent service
Pros
Celebration of all holidays
Cons
Frequent management changes
wonderful place to wori
Disability Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Bellaire, TXJanuary 30, 2017
awesome job and great benefits. You get to work with people from different countrie and assist them with their benefits.
You will get the needed training and there are mentors available to help you get better.
Pros
good salary
Cons
heavy workloads
Productive and given job
Readers Assistant - Professional (Former Employee) –  Inglewood, CAJanuary 30, 2017
This is an excellent governmental institution that teaches one how to serve others while being extremely discrete and responsible of others information.
Pros
excellent reputation
Cons
Long Commute

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Social Security Administration. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2