Social Security Administration Employee Reviews

Teleservice Representative (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 24, 2015
Great working environment, I love the people I come in contact with and the managers are great and very well to get along with,.
Great Place to work.
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDNovember 21, 2015
It is a very hard working environment, but the co-workers know when to have fun when the work is done. The clientele is a bit straining, but the good you can accomplish is very rewarding.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
cubicle work stations
bad office to work in
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 18, 2015
good employees, bad management. Not enough people and resources to do the job properly or timely. Management does not know how to manage and doesn't really think about the beneficiaries but like to say they do.
The Job is very rewarding
Senior Case Technician/ODAR (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 16, 2015
I prepare cases for social security hearings, for claimants that have applied for benefits and were denied for whatever reasons. They can have a hearing before a judge.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Temporary Lay offs
Rewarding
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Plantation, FLNovember 16, 2015
A typical day as a Customer Service Representative at the Social Security Administrative requires expecting the unexpected. You never know who your next customer will be, what the nature of their call will be, what type of mood they will display or the level of complexity required to assist them. The volume of callers is large, so maximizing resources and exercising time management is very important. The job is performed in an open seating environment, which allows more frequent interaction with co-workers. This encourages establishing relationship building and team building. The hardest part of the job is not allowing clients' dire circumstances or situations to travel home with you at the end of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help people, especially those who have urgent needs, are facing uncertainty, are bereaved, or facing dire circumstances.
Pros
Flexible working hours, competitive salary and advancement opportunities.
Cons
Limited ability to be creative and limited interaction with clients.
Excellent Place to Work
Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDNovember 14, 2015
Great job opportunity. Flexible work schedule. Room for advancement and growth. great benefits. great people to work with. joy in knowing that what you do affects others in a positive way.
Pros
good benefits; flexible schedule
Of Regional Office of Quality Performance
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2015
Prior to coming to the federal component of Social Security Administration in Chicago, IL., I worked nearly eleven years adjudicating disability claimant for the State of Illinois. Subsequently, this prepared me for my experience directly working with SSA.

The work environment consisted of medical professionals that covered all disability body systems; a very skilled professional group of Social Security Specialist, and a team of supportive staff that handled distributing case folders and other clerical duties.

All components including management worked as a cohesive team ensuring our product was done in a efficient and quality manner. We were all well aware that we were working for the American people and how important social security was for them. And this was very motivating for the entire staff. We were inundated with work; however, we had ample overtime to meet those work demands. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with dedicated self-starters; agency potlucks for special occasions and holidays.
Pros
We received awards for our hard work at the end of the year.
Cons
I didn't have any complaints.
The every day basis
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WANovember 4, 2015
I provided assistance to the public on a daily basis answering a wide variety of questions from the public by interviewing the individual, investigating the situation and resolving the problem.
Pros
Its satisfying to help individuals when they are on need.
Cons
It can be really stressful at times, you just have to keep your head up.
typical day at work
Fork Lift Operator (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYNovember 4, 2015
move around the different offices and departments into the SSA building to help with any needs they have. also, operate the machines (fork lift, electric pallet jack, etc...) to move the pallets in the warehouse and different floors in the building
Productive and easy to work with
Internship (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILNovember 3, 2015
As an intern a typical day for me was working mainly with the public 7 hours a day at the self help computer. I learned a lot of things while working with the Social Security Administration; how to issue new Social Security cards, how to work with the different computer systems, how to print benefit verification letters, and much more. The hardest part was when I first started working and i didn't know how to do anything it was quite overwhelming, but my co-workers and management brought me up to speed and taught me how to do everything that I needed to know how to do. The most enjoyable part of my experience of working with Social Security was getting to interact with the public.
Pros
Friendly environment
PRODUCTIVE EMPLOYEMENT
Housekeeping Technician (Former Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDNovember 2, 2015
I liked working there it was fun professional and respectable.
I worked in Housekeeping and I enjoyed myself the hardest part of the job was cleaning behind others.
Great Benefit
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAOctober 26, 2015
What i have learned in Social Security Administration is benefits, and entitlement of social security administration. I enjoy working with fellow veterans who work at the agency.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
I was a Teleservice Representative, which meant that I was responsible for customer service whenever clients called in.
TeleService Representative, Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM, Big Spring TX, and Houston, TXOctober 23, 2015
I answered clients phone calls, did some problem solving when they were not sure what their questions were. I set-up new claims for potential SSI or disability recipients. I adjudicated the claims for the client, and if the required further assistance other than what Social Security could provide, I would refer them to other agencies or local institutions.
The most enjoyable part of the job was opening doors for someone when they thought they had hit a brick wall - their gratitude was awesome.
Pros
Being able to help people who really needed help, finding coworkers who had the same compassion as I did.
Cons
Reporting process when you took too long on a call was combersome.
Interesting
Teleservice Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 21, 2015
I enjoyed talking with the public and resolving their problems with Social Security (retirement, disability, supplemental security income, little Medicare. Sometimes I had to be a mini social worker or just an "ear" to the caller. The hardest part of the job was when you answered the caller's question correctly, however they did not like your answer because it was not what they wanted to hear.
Pros
Talked with claiments from all over the US and some international calls
Cons
Being cursed at.
excellent work environment
Teleservice Representaive (Current Employee) –  Baltimore MdOctober 19, 2015
I am always excited about my possibilities within this company. It has been a Great opportunity so far and Im looking forward to the future.
It is a great place to work
Senior Case Technician (Legal Assistant) (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 16, 2015
I enjoy working in the Public Sector. SSA offers great benefits from monetary to non-monetary.

I am glad that I have had the opportunity to work for such a great employer and work with wonderful co-workers.
stressful and unreasonable expectations
service representative (Former Employee) –  Brenham, TXOctober 14, 2015
work loads not balanced, compensation not compatible to work loads.

Started day working on various work loads, then worked at the window servicing incoming public for a period of 6 hours, or answer telephones for the same period of time, then after 6 hours paperwork and electronic workloads need to be worked. Not enough time during the day to complete work loads, not enough personnel to process all incoming public, phone calls, incoming mail requests, and electronic workloads. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction to make at least one customer happy.
Pros
Cons
not a balanced work atmosphere
Job Security/Advancement was only based on how well District Manager liked you, not your work performance and attendance
PERSONAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  960 Main Street, 2nd Floor Hartford, CT 06103October 9, 2015
I was very excited about having a federal government job because I thought that I would be working at a place where I would be able to advance my skills and job placement. I was dead wrong. I did everything that I was suppose to and more. I received numerous awards and bonuses while working there because I made sure that any special projects I were given with deadline dates were not only met, but was done at times ahead of schedule and I had an excellent attendance record. I as my district manager about advancing my skills to possibly be promoted to a Service Representative and was told that she would make sure that I would be given the opportunity to receive training so that when the position became available I would be able to apply. However, I only received two days of minimum training at with not explanation it stopped that quick and when I asked why, I never received an answer. I asked often and was basically blown off. That hurt me more than anything, because I wanted to be employed as an federal government employee until I retired because I felt it was a stable position and I have always been a people person, I like offering my services to my co-workers and assisting the public in any manner I could. My heart was broken when I was let go when my contract ended and was basically kicked to the curb. However, I did meet a lot of nice people and hope that they never have to experience what I went through. Also, I left my last job because I really felt in my heart that this was it for me. I still cry today because of how unfairly I was treated and mislead under false pretenses.
Pros
There is a great opportunity employment, just not equal
Cons
Always have to watch your back and your kindness can be mistaken for weakness
Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Birmingham ALOctober 9, 2015
Social Security is a great to place to work. There are promotion oppurtunites. There is a flex schedule in place which makes it easy to jungle work and life outside of work.
Job security
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 4, 2015
This job provided me with job security and advancement opportunities. There were always new policies and procedures to keep me up to date with what was going on.