Social Security Administration

Social Security Administration Employee Reviews

Only work here for pay
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 7, 2017
The Work Life Balance is terrible. People are in the position of management and should not be. Most managers do not know how to treat their employees well at all. Managers will throw you under the bus and not support you at all.
Very productive and flexible working hours.
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVJanuary 6, 2017
All employees come to work on time and everybody bring their own lunches. I learned to use the new stamp and weighing machine for the mails. My boss is cooperative and supportive. My co-workers
are all helpful and they all mind their own business. No gossip and jealousy.There is no hard part of any job.If we don't understand something, we just asked and we will be informed; if we need help to do something, we asked for help from our available co-worker. Work we are not familiar with, we are given the training for it and hands on help.Most enjoyable part of the job is our weekly pot luck lunches where everybody brings something and usually they are all good.
Pros
Once a week, free lunches; flexible working hours
Cons
short breaks, no socializing with your co-workers.
High volume of work and clients
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJanuary 6, 2017
A typical day, always busy, I worked in one of the top 4 high volume of clients. Enjoyed working with the customers it was always something different and following through to complete the task was always important. Enjoyed my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was there was always so much work, you never caught up, never a dull moment. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I set out to do a task and it was completed and the client was happy.
Pros
My co workers
Cons
only a 1/2 hour for lunch
Great steady job for a long time
Post Entitlement Technical Specialist and Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAJanuary 4, 2017
I did so many assignments while working there. I was proud of when I was asked to write up a syllabus for training for the entire building. This job has helped me with organizational skills.
Pros
Steady, good benefits, loved working with computers
Cons
Being assigned work not in my field of expertise
call center
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WAJanuary 4, 2017
Worked i call center for National 800 Number. Training was for for about 12 weeks with additional training on the floor. Take calls from public in reference to payments,non payments, claim status,appeals, and new applications.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
advancement can get bored with working in call center
Great Place to Work!
Disability Claims Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 2, 2017
It's a wonderful Federal Agency to work for. Balance of work and personal life. Flexible work hours. Great Management Team.
I would recommend federal employment to anyone
Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILJanuary 1, 2017
Although I excelled and enjoyed my duties, I was unhappy with management's appreciation of those. I often would be asked by management to deal with disgruntled claimants when supervisors were busy.
Pros
unparalleled job security and time off
Cons
very regimented opportunities for advancement
Where I worked everybody was like family
Court Hearing Monitor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 27, 2016
I enjoyed working for Social Security because I was always learning about all different disabilities. Also it was a gratifying job. The clients typically appreciated you helping and explaining the disability process.
Work to serve the American public to ensure fair treatment in due process during their appeal
Senior Case Technician / Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 26, 2016
Work to serve the public, to ensure all disabled Americans receive a fair due process in their appeal for disability benefits. To maintain integrity in the work place and apply work knowledge in proving great service to American public.
Typical Federal Agency
Attorney Advisor (GS-12) (Current Employee) –  Washington StateDecember 26, 2016
There are a number of bureaucratic barriers that make performing the job challenging. However, the office is generally full of committed public servants.
Fast paced
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Fenton, MODecember 21, 2016
Vast amount of paperwork and public contact. This job allows for a great amount of networking and public interaction. Allow for paid holidays and weekends off.
Rated one of the best places to work
Foreign Benefit Authorizer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 20, 2016
Social Security Administration is an awesome place to work. It has great work/life balance. We have a flexible schedule and some employees are able to work from home.
social securtiy office
Clerical Aide (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALDecember 14, 2016
working at the social security office was an eye opening experience, it allowed me to see the public in a way that I had seen the public growing up.
excellent
Case Intake Technician (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 14, 2016
excellent employer, great benefits, great compensation, flexibility, great job culture, would recommend anyone to work here, good for career progression.
Excellent environment to jump start my career.
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Pine Bluff, ARDecember 12, 2016
Conducted interviews and assisted claimants in the development and adjudication of Disability, Retirement, Survivors, and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. Launched and coordinated the IVT (Interactive Video Training) for the district office’s on-site training program, streamlining expenses associated with off-site continued professional development. The hardest part of this job is that was limited in my ability to be my authentic and creative self.
Pros
Compensation!
Cons
In my professional oppion management did not embrace cultural diversity.
It was an exprience
Benefits Technical Examiner (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 12, 2016
At SSA, I learned the art of timing. I learned not to rush work even if I was good enough to handle more of a workload. I learned bout percentages and who was entitled to how much. socially, I learned to stay quiet. Overall, I enjoyed the pay, the flex hours and the ability to set myself up for self-employment.
Good armosphere, rewarding experience
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYDecember 9, 2016
A typical day at work would be to come in at 7:00 and work my desk. At 9:00, when office opens to the public, begin interviewing claimants to take claims for both Social Security and SSI, as well as do reviews ti determine continuing eligibility. I enjoyed working with management, as well as most of my co-workers. The most difficult part of the job was having to deny benefits to a claimant. the most enjoyable and rewarding part was being able to approve and award benefits to those deserving.
Pros
flex time
Cons
Felt overworked at times
Will not comment
Social Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 8, 2016
No comments on the subject this time because all depends which department you work in. Avoid operations by all means and apply in any other department if you can.
Government Employment work ethics
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 7, 2016
The job itself was great
I learned a lot there listening and asking questions
Depending on how well you were liked by management, job security was great
Great benefits
Received numerous awards and bonuses while employed there so that was nice
Lot of empty promises
No proper training for certain employees
Lot of negative vibes
Not all employees were treated equally, fairly, overlooked
A lot of stress because of the politics
Very depressing at times, no motivation, a lot of co-workers very unhappy, but had to work to pay their bills
People in management, supervisor positions should definitely not have that position, lot of deceitfulness and false hopes
I had to work very hard to learn a lot on my own, which I did not mind, but I do not like being lied to with false hopes
I loved assisting my co-workers with their workload because that is how I learned a lot about various job assignments
I always took a lot of pride in whatever I did and I felt good when my co-worker would come to me for help with confidence knowing that I was not only going to show and explain to them how to correctly perform a certain task, they knew that I would get it done right and timely
I loved new challenges, being given new and different assignments
I paid attention to detail, my work never had to be done over because I always took a lot of pride in my work. I never sat around waiting for anyone to tell me what to do, I always took the initiative to find work to do and always offering my assistance to anyone
Pros
being able to work independtly, receiving numerous awards and bonuses for my work performance
Cons
Very bad management & supervisors, Lots of favortism with certain employees, lot of great employees overlooked
discriminate against veterans
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Iselin, NJDecember 7, 2016
They say they help people but my experience is they are gatekeepers.
Management plays favorites and if not liked they will tie your hands to make it impossible for you to be successful.
If you are a veteran STAY AWAY!
Pros
Cons
everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Social Security Administration. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2