Social Security Administration Employee Reviews

Would definitely work here again
Personal Assistant (Former Employee), Canton, OHAugust 6, 2015
Pros: Phenomenal place to work
Cons: very hard to become a permanent employee
I loved working here but I was only a contract employee. When I was no longer needed I no longer had a job. The federal government has been on a hiring freeze so it is very difficult to become a permanent employee.
n/a
Benefit Authorizor (Former Employee), Richmond, CAAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Flexible office hr., cost of living raise yearly
Cons: management thought process was always in sink
A typical 8 hr day would be all business and no play. Some co-workers were afraid to talk too long. The hardest part of that job was maintaining a positive rapport with the management team. No real support. – more... The most enjoyable part of the job was when they had celebrate the different culture in preparing lunch specials and a multi-cultural festivities that they had yearly that lasted for one week.. day was going home at 2:30 p.m. – less
Fun place to work, great wrok environment, great managers/supervisors
Facilities Management Section (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYJuly 31, 2015
Pros: great work environment, loving co-workers, room for advancement, learning new skills.
Cons: there were none
A great place to work, especially if you love being around great people who care about your life outside of work and interact with you on a personal basis instead of having the mood feel so uptight. i – more... learned so much from this job, i gathered skills that i don't think i would have learned anywhere else (like learning how to use several machines). The things that i learned from this job i can take with me wherever i go and i'm more than certain it will enhance my chances of always being able to receive some kind of employment because of the skills that i have acquired from working at this job. My supervisors were great and my co-workers were the best, they became my friends and i wouldn't have traded the experience i got from this job for the world. – less
A very productive place to work. Great changes
Project Manager (Former Employee), Baltimore, marylandJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Excellent Benefits, made many friends
Cons: To many politics
As A Project Manager for the Social Security Administration, I was responsible for moving and renewing the leases of all Social Security Offices Nationwide. I coordinated furniture, phones and electrical – more... shut downs and utilities to be turned on. Was involved in a workgroup which deceived what furniture/cubicle types were to be fitted to each employees position. Attended meetings. Volunteered to be involved in a variety of workgroups, focus groups. – less
work
Claims Representative (Former Employee), MAJuly 17, 2015
Decent pay for the work. Unfortunately like any other government agency, it requires stacks of paperwork to assist anyone. Documents are incredibly hard to locate and decipher once you obtain it. Similiar to the show "The Office."
By far the best job I had
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Wide verity of work, friendly work environment.
Cons: None
As a Office Assistant I had the opportunity to learn various positions within the company. I really enjoyed coming into work everyday. I was never doing boring repetitive work, I had a well balanced verity of work to do throughout the work day that included Customer benefit interviews, Mail, Stock, Filing, making client calls and data entry.
Ugh!
Disability Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 16, 2015
Beware, don't work for these ppl. They will make like for you unbearable! Please find another place to work. The managers suck, they examiners all suck. Don't do it.
It was a very fun place to work.
Tele-Service Representative (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 15, 2015
Pros: safety
Cons: parking
I enjoyed working for SS. Their management style was very supportive and encouraging. The people were very friendly and it was like family. The training was very detailed and we worked as a team.
Slow Pace with diverse workload
Intern (Current Employee), Little Rock, ArkansasJuly 14, 2015
Pros: free lunches, Meet new people/connections, job experience
Cons: n/a
Go to work around 9am and usually get out around 4pm depending on how much work there is to be done. Depending on who has a job for me is whom I would typically work for the rest of the day or until duties – more... are finished. Management is amazing and never express themselves as superior to me, but instead allow me to assist them as they assist me. The same goes to my co-workers as well. They all allowed me to do my job the way I wanted the job to be done. At the same time getting what they need out of a job as well. All duties that I ever got to do were all enjoyable and there was nothing about the job that was ever challenging. – less
N/A
Senior Case Technician (Current Employee), Albany, NYJuly 14, 2015
Pros: N/A
Cons: N/A
This has been a great eye opener. I have spent my time here being greatly organized and having the abilities to task prioritize and handle heavy cases. Working with the public and others are a fantastic way to work.
Government Agency
Reader Assistant (Current Employee), San Diego CaJuly 13, 2015
I have been with Social Security Administration for over 5 years, and it is a great place to work, however I am in a position that makes it difficult to advance and is not very challenging. I want to work to my full potential, and I feel I am being held back. I want to do more in my day to day work and strive to advance.
Demanding due to customer service hours; Great co-workers
Service Representative (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COJuly 11, 2015
The job is demanding. The hours for customer service creates hurdles leaving minimal time to work on cases. Co-workers are the best part of the job. They create a fun and inviting working environment.
Its the Government
Claims Authorizer (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOJuly 10, 2015
Pros: benefits, compensation, flexible schedule
Depending on who your supervisor is, the place is good to work for- good benefits, flexibility, and everyone is held to the same standards.
Hopefully you don't get the Chicago location
Technical Support Technician (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2015
Not the greatest place to work. Co-workers have horrible attitudes. Not what I expected at all. Wouldn't recommend this location to anyone
productive
Teleservice Center Contact Representative (GS-07) (Former Employee), Lakewood, OHJuly 8, 2015
I daily answered public questions about SSA policy and Law. I have 24 months experience regarding SSA regulations, policies and procudes applicable to each type of benefit payable. I responded to questions – more... involving complex SSA entitlement and post entitlement issues. I have a comprehensive knowledge of SSA title II and Title IVX programs. I worked with OHA and the state Disability Determinations service to answer clients inquires. I had a through knowledge of the local medical services and facilitilies and the operation of Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance .I worked daily with disability and insurance issues. I daily handled customer calls from routine to complex. I directed the most complex issues forward or resolved them as directed. My daily job involved a high amount of stress on two ends. I was responsible for making the customer happy and still had to have the technical knowledge to explain their issue. I worked daily under deadlines and customer deadlines; many customers wanted their checks even when they did not meet program requirements. I submitted beneficiary reports and forms including information and evidence needed for reports, claims, forms and earning records. I investigated earnings discrepancies and submitted reports to higher echelons. I worked daily with hospitals, banks and community agencies. I am Public meet and deal skills certified – less
Great place to work. Great benefits.
Claims Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Management and employee like family.
Cons: Very demanding and stressful
Adjudicated claims for Retirement, Disability, Survivors, Supplemental Security Income and Medicare Health Insurance Programs. Made input changes of entitlements. Retired in 2004.
Fun proffessional environment
Senior Case Technician (Current Employee), Franklin, TNJuly 7, 2015
Typical office job with high production and customer service focus. Working up cases and working with ALJ's to schedule hearings and focus on the customer from start to finish.
Job Security
Claims Assistant (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 28, 2015
Nothing like job security with the fed gov't. You can't lose with the flexible work schedules, the gov't benefits and retirement.
SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
Claims Representative (Former Employee), Carbondale, PAJune 16, 2015
Pros: NICE PEOPLE
Cons: LONG DRIVE
IT WAS VERY NICE TO WORK FOR THE SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION.THEY TREATED YOU LIKE A PERSON AND NOT LIKE A NUMBER, YOU WERE TREATED LIKE FAMILY. MT AIRY TREATED YOU AS IF YOU WERE T5HE ONLY PERSON DOING THAT JOB AND IT ALL FELL ON YOU. DIFFERENT PEOPLE WERE TREATED DIFFERTLY THAN OTHERS tHIS IS WHY I WORKED THERE FOR32 YEARS UNTIL I RETIRED
A great place to work!
Public Affairs Intern (Former Employee), Upper Darby, PAJune 16, 2015
Pros: Time-- Flex
I absolutely loved my experience as an Intern for SSA--- the times were always felxible and the overlal learning experiences helped with my understanding of federal regualtions.