Social Security Administration Employee Reviews

Excellent job, even better benefits
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbia, TNNovember 13, 2017
Great job- government work is not the most interesting or best, but the benefits are worth staying over anything else. The hours are great and weekends, federal holidays off, excellent benefits.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Slow turnover rate- so promotions are rare
Job security
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 11, 2017
Claims processing and data entry, customer/client service. Social Security Administration is a great agency to work for for anyone looking to have a secured job
Great benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WANovember 8, 2017
Working at the Social Security Administration call center is extremely stressful. However, the benefits are great and management is professional and courteous. A con was the level of advancement; in order to advance you would have to be in your role for 2+ years and the pay is too low compared to the type of work you are doing daily.
Employees are fun.. team working
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Angleton, TXNovember 7, 2017
The information and knowledge and benefits are great. The distance to the office was far,very hard to manage personal and work life due to distance, As a permanent employee, its most likely a better fit.
Benefits
Cons
Distance
Nice chill & free food
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CANovember 1, 2017
I like SSA so far.. Not to much to say yet. I just started.. I get free food and I like that alot and it makes me want to stay but I just don't get enough hours yet
It can be the best of employment.
Mail Clerk/Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 1, 2017
I came to SSA with the hopes of having a long fulfilling career, however that did not happen and I left because it become a very stressful environment.
Great Benefits but...
Disability Processing Specialist/Adjudicator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 30, 2017
The workload is easy, the environment is stress free, and compensation and benefits are decent for an American employer. However, it appears promotion for competent workers is limited. Seems more based on tenure as opposed to ability, education, and diligence. Nepotism may play a part as well. Suggestions to improve efficiency are ignored. Morale suffers due to a lack of accountability. Good workers often pick up the slack for people who would otherwise be fired in the private sphere for their incompetence and laziness. After noticing this for years, the good workers become burned out and may look for opportunities elsewhere which contributes to the low morale.
Pros
Stress free, flex time
Cons
Poor management, limited advancement
work
Telephone Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 29, 2017
At Social Security at leaned time management, team work. Their was nothing hard about my job. I always like a challenge. The most enjoyable part of that job was, i was able to meet each call needs.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
long lunch time
great workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  wilkes barre paOctober 27, 2017
ssa is a great place to work overall it is a challenging job there is stress due to dealing with public in many situations but all in all it is a good job
Excellent place to work!
Development Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHOctober 26, 2017
I left this position to work part-time so I could stay home with my children. Hindsight, I should never have left such a good job with the federal government I could have retired by now!
Good Externship
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salina, KSOctober 26, 2017
As an externship, this was a great place to learn the ropes. A lot to do without stress. Enjoyed the team. Enjoyed the job. The only real drawback is that I couldn't become an actual employee. Once school ended so did the job.
Pros
Good people, good work
Cons
Temporary
A serious office environment.
mailroom (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIOctober 26, 2017
A typical work day was busy. I learned that the Social Security Administration is important. Management has a lot of responsibilities. The workplace environment was friendly. The hardest part of the job was the last day. The most enjoyable part of the job was the beginning of every new day.
Pros
The office was calm and quiet.
Cons
There weren't any cons.
Great experience and security.
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oroville, CAOctober 25, 2017
Great place to work. Very flexible with family needs. Pay is awesome. Benefits are great. Retirement is great. The hardest part of the job is office politics.
Very Stressful short staffed lots of work
SCT Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 23, 2017
very fast paced and stressful. Short staffed. Work with Federal judges. Meet great people coworkers at SSA. Training is not very extensive and it takes about a year to learn everything.

Hours are great and the benefits are great.
Pros
benefits and hours
Cons
when short staffed it has to be in budget for SSA to hire more
lack of opportunity
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Detroit MIOctober 23, 2017
It is unfortunate but education is not taken into consideration for advancement, often a high school grad will be taken over a Graduate degree holder.
Poor management
Legal Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 23, 2017
Awful culture in this office. I would not recommend working here unless you are desperate. The most inadequate people get promoted to management positions, and their job is to micromanage every minute.
Pros
Decent money
Cons
Poor Management
It’s ok
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Dothan, ALOctober 22, 2017
It’s ok. Need more money. Dothan AL. I talk to people all day long. I talk about retirement and disability. I operate a computer and retrieved personal information.
Busy, but productive work environment.
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 22, 2017
A typical day at work is busy, and informative. I have management that has data background, and is informative about how he expects the work assignments to be done. The workplace culture is like a family environment, we are concerned with the people that we work with. The hardest part of the job is lose of life, when someone that you work with has transitioned. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting an assignment completed on time, when you know that you have done everything that you can to make sure that the project is met on time.
Pros
Lunch hour.
Cons
None.
Ok place.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDOctober 18, 2017
Liked my job. Competition for jobs was fierce. Stayed long as I could. Better employment. Better pay. Had family responsibilities. Wish had kept my severance.
fun place to work if you enjoy people
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 18, 2017
love working with the public this office is very robotic. There is no individuality at this office. If you stand out management looks at you in a negative way
Pros
people
Cons
management