Social Security Administration Employee Reviews in United States

Very generous benefit package for a very low stress level work
Pathway Internship Summer Hire (TEMP) (Former Employee) –  Daly City, CAJune 7, 2016
This federal agency allows its employees flexible working hours. They can starts their days early and get off early or late and get off late. The agency provides very generous benefits in sick leaves, holiday leaves, vacation time, retirement plan, job security, advancement, and acceptable paid.
Pros
job security, and other benefits
Cons
Salary per year
Claims Representative/SLC
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  OhioJune 7, 2016
I was hired in 2009. I have been on "cloud 9" since my first day of employment with this wonderful agency. I was stuck in a dead end job prior to working for SSA. My former dead end job really made me appreciate what I have. I also enjoy the challenge of the job. It's more than just a "job" it's a career. Since my employment I've accomplished a lot. I received my college degree as well as being promoted in 2012.
Pros
Salary, schedule, work environment
Cons
Short staffing
Work Environment and Training
Debtor Contact Representative - GS - 05 (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMay 21, 2016
Training is lengthy but does not have anything to do with the function assigned. The Training Staff is needs additional training. Managements expectations are well above the compensation given for this function.
Pros
Government Job
Cons
Work environment
Productive, and healthy enviorment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 18, 2016
I enjoyed with people, customer service, and helping to assist them in their needs. I learned what it takes to prove the birth, citizen ship, and how to generate social security number. My co-workers for very out going. The hardest part of my job was when the founds for expelled from the position.
Pros
Learning ner things
Cons
Temperary position
Great agency to work for
Temporary Hire (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VA 24401May 17, 2016
Customer service, great district manager and operations supervisor. Great working hours, great benefits.

I loved working there but I was hired as on a temp status and was not able to be converted to full- time.
Pros
great hours, benefits, and management.
Cons
no room for advancement for me.
Excellent stable employment
Teleservice Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 10, 2016
A typical day at work was easy once the job was learned. As a service representative I learned a lot about Social Security, such as their ends/outs dealing with the customers over the telephone as well as my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was speaking with irate customers who wanted to blame you by you being the first person that they spoke with although you may not have anything to do with the problem. The most enjoyable part of the job was when we had our parties regardless what or who it was for, we ate, talked to one another and had fun. Also, during the holidays we had extended time for lunch and could leave the building for at least one & a half hours.
Pros
Good benefits and stable employment
Cons
Must have degree to advance
Favorite
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXMay 9, 2016
This was my favorite job all the people was very nice and I learned a lot from them even though I was pregnant at the time they were very helpful.
Social Security has been there for me..
SSDI (Current Employee) –  Needles, CAMay 6, 2016
...but I think it's time for me to try and go back to work. When I went onto disability, I weighed almost 300 pounds, suffered terrible back problems, Now, I've had a gastric bypass and weigh 112. I really need to get out of this house.
Benefits
Cons
Not knowing what day it is
Productive and enjopyable
Various Positions Held up to Management (Former Employee) –  Various in The United StatesApril 29, 2016
I loved working with and providing service to the public. I was able to utilize my various people skills daily. I successfully attained my career goal despite obstacles throughout my career path.
Pros
Providing service to the public
Cons
archaic management ideology
Excellent place to work
Administrative Support Intern (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIApril 28, 2016
Excellent place to work. Great people. Very organized, and enjoyable to work at. Very interesting work. Management is very exceptional.
A position administering programs that provide focused, results-oriented public service. To build upon my experience in information management, decis
Teleservice Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 25, 2016
I work at one of the Social Security call centers. On a typical day, I swipe my work ID to enter the building, take the elevator to the 4th floor, and login to my computer. Once I enter my start work time, I begin taking phone calls from Social Security and Medicare beneficiaries and non-beneficiaries. I handle various, random calls from the public from eligibility requirements to suicide calls. I take my first of 3 breaks at 1015am. It's a 15 minute break before I have to get back on the phone. I take my lunch at 1230pm for 30 minutes. After lunch, I get back on the phone until 230pm, which is my next scheduled 15 minute break. I catch up on my work email at 315pm for 15 minutes before getting back on the phone. At the end of the day, I log out of my computer and end my work day.

I've learned a lot while working at SSA. People really respect the hard truth more than anything. Also, they don't like to be given different answers to the same question. I've also learned that one's positivity and attitude toward a job start from within, and not from external elements.

I think that my managers are hard workers, but they still have a lot to learn when it comes to best practices, ethics and accountability.

Thank goodness for my co-workers. There have been days that they unknowingly made my day a lot smoother. I don't get many chances to socialize because my supervisors are really strict about the amount of time spent on the phone taking calls from the public. The location of my cubicle is a perk. I sit near co-workers that I was hired with in 2008.
  more... We've leaned on each other since day 1.

The hardest part of the job is the easiest part of the job: taking call after call everyday. After 8 years, I've become very familiar with our policies and systems to the point that I desire more responsibilities. There are very limited opportunities for career development, and I have reached the point that I oftentimes know what someone is going to ask before they ask it. My desire to learn more about the agency is very high, but the opportunity to take on more responsibility has not presented itself.

The most enjoyable part of my job is accessing and researching our various systems of payments, overpayments, and histories of payment amounts.
Pros
Job stability, 401K plan, easy to get to work on public transit, the work I do is important.
Cons
Unknown/suspicious promotion criteria, low morale environment, short lunch breaks, few opportunities to work in other components within the agency.
Mgmt changes not positive
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  MAApril 14, 2016
Was a great place to work until management changed. Flexible work schedule is nice (come in from 7-9). Overworked, understaffed, and can never keep up.
Pros
Flex time, benefits
Cons
micromanaging, understaffed, underappreciated
interviewed and helped clients with disability calims
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTApril 13, 2016
I helped clients file for disability benefits. I verified allegations and adjucated claims for payment or denial. I also enjoyed the fast paced environment and helping people navigate hrough the various regulations.
Pros
I got to meet and interview a diverse population
Cons
At times strict, very professional
Intern (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MontanaApril 7, 2016
Because it is a government job, the work environment is very non-stop. All work being done is super critical and high security due to the fact that client's personal information is at risk if it were to get in the wrong hands. All my co-workers are very helpful and friendly, they made my job that much more enjoyable. I have learned a lot and have a better understanding of how Social Security operates especially when it comes to benefits.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
Some management is not so friendly
Unprofessional staff
Sr. Programmer Analyst (Consultant) (Current Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDApril 6, 2016
Poor technical level of the most of management and team-leading staff. Highly bureaucratized company.
Management is afraid of touching any part of the system, even poorly designed. Trying to introduce "newest technologies" without understanding the basics of computer science.
not great
Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYApril 5, 2016
Management could have been easier to talk to. Management should not base their opinion on weather they like someone or not, they should base their opinion on a person's performance
Pros
customer service
Cons
bad work relationships
Very organized place to work with Great staff
Personal Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 4, 2016
I learned something new everyday at this job. I enjoyed working at the Social Security Administration. All my Co-Workers and Supervisors were very friendly and always helping in desperate situations.
Pros
Knowledgement
Cons
The Comute
We were one big family working together to help the public
Service/Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CAMarch 29, 2016
Start at 8, first 10 years overtime every week 8 to 16 hrs minimum, down to 5 to 7 every other week prior to retirement. Secure position after probationary period of 1 year,we were guarded by Security via enclosed areas and by actual Security Guards. We dealt with the mentally unstable and sometimes VERY upset individuals. In a typical day first responded to any phone messages and tried to resolve the problem to the clients request. Learned you can never please everybody, there will always be someone you cannot assist the way they want it. While there the management was excellent, shortly after leaving all changed downward for personnel. I was always polite to the meanest client, putting yourself in their shoes and the desperation they may feel, sometimes there were problems you just could not resolve to their satisfaction. Resolving their problems no matter how small or big, knowing that I was able to help and also training co-workers on various new regulations and methods as they came up made working for the Federal Government for 38 years fantastic, plus the great management we had helped. Our office was awarded many many Congressional awards for Service to the Public.
Pros
Varied duties, never a dull moment.
Cons
Two 15 min breaks, half hour for lunch
SSA Technical Staff
Senior UNIX and Windows Administrator (Current Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDMarch 28, 2016
Responsible for, literally, tens of thousands of Unix and Windows servers across, to include the SSA domain. Responsible for basic Unix and Windows system administration with an emphasis on DNS. The only complaint, if you want to call it that about working at SSA, is that I only get to use a limited amount of my skill set, and this is due to the stability of the system.
Pros
Weekends and nights free - had to work a fixed, 40-hour work week.
Cons
Very unstable work environment. Highly political.
This employer
Teleservice Representative (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAMarch 24, 2016
Social Security Administration run by Power and Control of its employees. The leaders and supervisors don't care about employees wellbeing. Do NOT drink WATER because your supervisors will question you about why you are going to the bathroom more than twice within the 8 hour period. Management expects you to hold your bladder until your next break. The Social Security Administration in Auburn has high turnover rate and poor morale, and over 100 employees leave SSA every year because the harsh work environment. Leaders and supervisors blame this on heavy workload demands, but the problem is with the Power and Control work culture at SSA. Managers and supervisors get promoted for poor performance and poor employee morale.
Pros
30 minute lunch break
Cons
This culture is about Power and Control.

4.2