Social Security Administration Employee Reviews in United States

not great
Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYApril 5, 2016
Management could have been easier to talk to. Management should not base their opinion on weather they like someone or not, they should base their opinion on a person's performance
Pros
customer service
Cons
bad work relationships
Self rewarding job serving the American Public
Legal Administrative Specialist (Claims Examiner) (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 5, 2016
Consistently given a new challenge everyday, I learned to confidently perform in-dept, life altering decisions for American beneficiaries. Management has very little intervention in final determinations of beneficiary record, all co-workers independently resolve matters, however we do consult well experienced colleagues about extremely complex issues where determining factors are vague. Occasionally I am required to make determinations on behalf of the organizations that disadvantageous to the beneficiary's claim. Resolving issues for beneficiaries provides a most satisfactory experience.
Pros
Low paced position, well maintained facilities and equipment
Cons
High pressure to make final decisions with little research or knowledge beneficiaries
Productive and stable
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 14, 2015
It's an average 9 to five job with great security. It's a high stress job working with customers who could be all sorts of emotions, finding out how to deal with angry and inflexible customers was the hardest part of the job. Management is good, they try to keep everything working smoothly. My co-workers were great, they will always be there to help you in and off the job and interacting with them made the day go by faster.
Helping the American people pay rent, eat, and provide medical coverage was a rewarding experience
Manager (Computer Operations; Training; Module) (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 2, 2016
Every day was different, depending on the priorities of the time and potential changes in law. Despite these issues, SSA was a great agency to work for and I am proud to say I made a difference.
Pros
Rewarding job;
Cons
Typical bureaucratic issues
Effective Way of Surviving in this Dangerous World of Affection
Disabled (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 10, 2016
The Work was productive of construction and testing of You scheme of fail for disability. It was effective endurance race who was very risky although. But Thank You All Very Much!!! It was very royalty.
productive and easy going place
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2016
Coming in to answer phone calls to for-fill our duties i love my supervisor she's easy going. My co-workers are great we go for lunch together all the time I enjoy work their is nothing that I feel is hard for me in any field.
Pros
food gets delivered to my job, being able to freelance
Cons
benefits, pay
Comfortable & secure work enviorment
Service Repersentative (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCDecember 8, 2015
Pleasant location, easy access to needed materials and training. Opportunities for promotions or transfers were always available.
Co-workers worked well together.
I learned that I had skills that I had never used BUT could be used with SSA.
Mgt. was fair and pleasant to deal with. Co-workers shared responsibilities.
The hardest part was when claimants came in because of having lost a family member OR they were denied disability benefits.
The most satisfying part was seeing the appreciation the claimants showed when they realized what SSA could do to help them.
Pros
Equal job pay and advancement for those qualified.
Cons
I have no CONS. If I were much younger and job searching, it would be t he first place I would apply.
Excellent Place to work
Program Expert (Current Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDJuly 2, 2016
I love working for this agency. The salary is awesome and the benefits are good. There are a lot of opportunities for professional development and career advancement.
Providing great service to the public
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Monroe, MIMarch 23, 2016
Great career move, with very good training and supervisory support. Enjoyed working with the public to file for federal benefits and coverages. Enjoyed over 20 years with SSA.
Excellent place to work
Administrative Support Intern (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIApril 28, 2016
Excellent place to work. Great people. Very organized, and enjoyable to work at. Very interesting work. Management is very exceptional.
Retirement
Lead Events Specialist@Wal (Former Employee) –  residenceFebruary 19, 2016
Drawing Social security retirement since 2008. I must work part time to supplement my retirement income. I have do notary signing agent work in 2005 & 2006. Quit because expenses were greater that the income.
Ssa cr
Social Insurance Specialist (Technical Expert) (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 26, 2016
Great Job helping Seniors with their benefits, little or no stress. The work days to run together. Internet claims only. Company will teach you until you get it.
Pros
40 hour work week. No take home work
Cons
same day over and over
If they had put their minds to it.
Benefit Authorizer Trainee (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 5, 2015
While this place was a great place to work due to the coworkers and benefits, the management prided itself in its gross incompetence. Entire sections were so poorly handled from their beginning. They would be the kind of people who would hire a special task team to brainstorm on the raging wildfire in the kitchen and then decide they need a second task team.

Anyway, if you could ignore the insanity of the upper management, the place was really a great place to work.
Pros
Great hours, flexible leave, cooperative atmosphere amongst peers.
Cons
Upper management, business procedure was incomprehensible
Productive and easy to work with
Internship (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILNovember 3, 2015
As an intern a typical day for me was working mainly with the public 7 hours a day at the self help computer. I learned a lot of things while working with the Social Security Administration; how to issue new Social Security cards, how to work with the different computer systems, how to print benefit verification letters, and much more. The hardest part was when I first started working and i didn't know how to do anything it was quite overwhelming, but my co-workers and management brought me up to speed and taught me how to do everything that I needed to know how to do. The most enjoyable part of my experience of working with Social Security was getting to interact with the public.
Pros
Friendly environment
Source of income
Social Security Disability (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MIJanuary 30, 2016
The case management and overall pay from social security is very efficient along with Medicare and Medicaid the benefits cover most of the bill so not much comes out of pocket.
Pros
Steady income
Cons
Not enough to live on.
good job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 7, 2016
Working for SSA was a good job. The schedule was reasonable the call volume was always high. management was pretty good.
Favorite
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXMay 9, 2016
This was my favorite job all the people was very nice and I learned a lot from them even though I was pregnant at the time they were very helpful.
Interesting
Teleservice Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 21, 2015
I enjoyed talking with the public and resolving their problems with Social Security (retirement, disability, supplemental security income, little Medicare. Sometimes I had to be a mini social worker or just an "ear" to the caller. The hardest part of the job was when you answered the caller's question correctly, however they did not like your answer because it was not what they wanted to hear.
Pros
Talked with claiments from all over the US and some international calls
Cons
Being cursed at.
Productive environment
Internship (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 18, 2016
A typical day interning with the Social Security Administration would be connecting with the public and helping them discover the online services that are available.
stressful and unreasonable expectations
service representative (Former Employee) –  Brenham, TXOctober 14, 2015
work loads not balanced, compensation not compatible to work loads.

Started day working on various work loads, then worked at the window servicing incoming public for a period of 6 hours, or answer telephones for the same period of time, then after 6 hours paperwork and electronic workloads need to be worked. Not enough time during the day to complete work loads, not enough personnel to process all incoming public, phone calls, incoming mail requests, and electronic workloads. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction to make at least one customer happy.
Pros
Cons
not a balanced work atmosphere

4.2