Social Security Administration Employee Reviews

Rewarding Place to Work
Telephone Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLDecember 2, 2016
Working for the Social Security Administration was the most rewarding experience of my professional life. The mission of the administration is meaningful and I never in my life thought that I'd ever have worked for the Executive Branch of the federal government. Unfortunately health problems facilitated and early retirement for me.
Pros
Meaningful work.
SSA Review
BUSINESS PROCESS ANALYST IV (contractor) (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 28, 2016
Great government organization to contribute to major public initiatives. They are interested in learning about new industry practices and are willing to adopt best practices.
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDNovember 28, 2016
Working at Social Security is very fun, a typical day at SSA is that there will be times to laugh and tell jokes but work will been done seriously. What I learned from the corporation I was working at is that we don't always stay at the desk all the time, we do inspections. The manager and my ex co- workers are goofy but serious when it comes to work and get the work done. The hardest part is getting the work done on time, there are a lot of time managing skills need here. The most enjoyable part was doing inspections for health reasons and having a good laugh with co- workers.
Pros
Good food options
Cons
time
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Lynn, MANovember 16, 2016
You will always be on your feet learning new things and task. Everyone is highly intelligent and nice. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new tasks and program.
Working at SSA is a fun place to work for. You learn new polices on a daily basis. There is also different activities in the office.
Summer Aide Clerk (Former Employee) –  5414 Aldine mail rd Houston, TX 77039November 10, 2016
My typical day working at Social Security Administration was very pleasant, I enjoyed working there. I would come early around 7 A.M. pick up shredding, open mail and distribute to the correct representatives, maintain mail area and file room until my shift ended. Working there I learn how to become a better communicator and to be more comfortable with the public. My management team was excellent while working there. My management as well as my co-workers we're very kind and courteous of helping me. They have taken out time to train me and prepare me for future careers. The most enjoyable part of the job is where we have office parties and/or breakfast brunch for Birthdays, baby showers etc.

Working at Social Security Administration is a fun place to work for. You learn new polices on a daily basis and you get to meet new faces each day.
Family Environment
Debtor Contact Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2016
I enjoy working with people at work that I consider family. I have a flexible schedule and I enjoy what I do as a Debtor Contact Rep. I feel that I have job security.
Pros
Flex-time
Ok if you are not disabled
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 9, 2016
Recently this employer has no qualms about letting go of people with disabilities or denying them reasonable accommodations.
There is a lot of discrepancy about how you will be treated there. If you are friends with management, you are all set.
People used to be very happy there, but when new management stepped in, that all went out the window.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
Management can get away with anything
good enviorment to work at any age
Technical Service Technician (APPSW) (Current Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDNovember 8, 2016
I have been with SSA for 11 years and my experience with the agency has been very positive. I enjoy the people I work with as we all serve the American public.
Pros
Flexable schedule, competitive pay
Cons
since this is a goverment agency there always a possibilty of an furlough
Benefits were excellent
Legal Administration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2016
Working for Social Security Administration was great. We were allow to work individually, but we were under contract until we were chosen to work directly for the department.
Benefits
Cons
worked under contact
Excellent Learning Environment
Legal Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYOctober 27, 2016
The work environment is laid back. The managers are supportive and understanding and are always available to help you progress and move forward.
Pros
laid back dress code
Cons
short lunch break
great work environment and opportunity but limited advancement opportunities.
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAOctober 23, 2016
A great work environment with opportunity to develop customer service and work place interpersonal skills but it has limited advancement opportunities.
Pros
job security
Cons
limited advancement opportunity
Productive fun and enjoyable
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 21, 2016
Love it! Have worked here 20 years and it's a pleasantly enjoyable working environment.. nice people room for growth and has job security.. has offices all over the world and many opportunities
Pros
Job advancement
Cons
A lot of work
Work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 18, 2016
The Social Security Administration had a positive work environment. All of the employees there believed in assisting one another. Management was very patient with me in terms of trying to learn my job. They always displayed confidence in me.
Pros
Shared meals with each other
Cons
Short breaks because customers were always there.
Job Security!
Contracting Officer Representative (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 7, 2016
If you are looking for a place to have a job to retire, this is for you! I worked at SSA for over 12 years! Time to move on
The culture at SSA is very different than any other gov agency to my knowledge.
Pros
Security
Cons
It is a matter of who knows who to get promotion!
Best in government
District Manager (Current Employee) –  IndianaOctober 5, 2016
Good benefits, moderate pay, ability to promote if you are mobile. Scattered offices around the country, larger regional offices in cities like Chicago and Atlanta.
Great Work environment for Interns
Office of the General Counsel (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 5, 2016
The Office of General Counsel provided a friendly and hard-working environment for interns such as myself. This experience has given me firsthand insight on the depth of an attorney’s workload, and it has given me an understanding of the legal procedures governing a large federal agency.
Great place to work.
Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAOctober 3, 2016
Very flexible and lots of room to grow. The staff is very welcoming and management works well to help achieve goals. The benefits are fantastic and the offer lots of perks.
The work environment was high stress because the public deserves attentive, accurate, and prompt decision-making in processing their applications.
Technical Expert/Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio TXSeptember 27, 2016
The typical work day would start with developing pending claims until the office opened. At that time, all staff attended to the public for 30 minutes. As a technical expert, I would then work the assigned workload of complicated cases requiring additional development and research in order for the application to be completed accurately. My co-workers were diligent in processing the claims. There was a spirit of team work so that the applications were developed in an efficient and expeditions manner. The most difficult part of my job was informing an applicant that he/she/a child was not eligible for benefits because of excess household income and/or resource levels even though a disability determination had been favorable. The best parts of my job were successfully meeting individual and team goals in a timely manner and having the opportunity to work in a self-directed manner. I did not envy management's job to enforce regional and national directives without acquiring employee buy-in / input prior to implementing changes.
Pros
Having flexible shifts was definitely one of the best parts of working here.
Cons
unrealistic expectations of processing time without sufficient desk time for the representatives, enabling inefficient employees by redistributing work instead of holding them accouontable
Great employer
SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHSeptember 8, 2016
I loved my job at a Service Rep. When they closed my office, I had to relocate and drive almost an hour and had two young children at home, so I chose to leave. My manager was very kind, flexible and fair.
Powerhouse software company
Senior Consultant - Microsoft Corporation (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 8, 2016
Immense opportunities for growth in technical and managerial roles
Great opportunities to delve into cutting edge technologies
Great benefits, and reasonably comparative compensation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Social Security Administration. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2