Social Security Administration

Social Security Administration Employer Reviews

Great Agency
Benefit Specialist (Former Employee), Kansas City, MODecember 28, 2014
This agency is truly all about serving the public. Always feel rewarding at the end of the day.
It's nice to work for a company that values you.
SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 24, 2014
It's very important for me to get along with everyone I work with. Respect and Communication it's the key for a successful workplace. Working for Social Security has been a great experience because I have been able to helped people from all over the world.
SSA
Supervisory Paralegal Specialist (Current Employee), Sacramento CADecember 23, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: restrictions on political fundraising
Excellent palce to work with excellent benefits and excellent opportunities for advancement.
Secure
Service Representative (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CADecember 17, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: limitted opportunities
Worked for very short period as part time, not a lot to say since I wasn't really a full time nor did I have benefits.
Couldn't say anything about the culture.
Social Security
Account Manager/Project Manager (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALDecember 16, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: short breaks
Multifaceted position which requires excellent time management, adaptability, communication, and team work to be successful.
Atmosphere of Cooperation
Supervisor (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMDecember 13, 2014
Pros: culture of the workplace
Cons: short lunch hour (1/2 hour)
I found working for SSA to be an overall great experience in my 24 years with the agency. I was encouraged to seek education opportunities both within the agency in outside the workplace. I worked in five facilities including three District Offices, one Branch Office and one Teleservice Center and I found good cooperation between management and staff. I was fortunate enough to have co-workers who were both cordial and helpful. The hardest part of the job was dealing with absenteeism of one the individuals I supervised, but even that was short term. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I was helping both the public and served and the people I supervised.
Great place to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Richmond, CADecember 9, 2014
Pros: great benefits, flexible schedule
Cons: lack of job openings
Offers excellent opportunity for growth and development.
Good Place
Budget Analyst (Former Employee), Woodlawn, MDDecember 9, 2014
Pros: oppurtunity for advancement
Cons: location
A standard work place, with good environment, good pay and real opportunity for advancement.
Nice environment with bad leaders
Service Representative (Former Employee), Bellevue, WADecember 4, 2014
Pros: set schedule, federal job, job security
Cons: not able to make changes
This Job was Great. The reason why I left was so i could pursue a different career. The place was military friendly. The management was trying to force good worker out in exchange for younger ones
challenging yet enjoyable work place
Assistant To Office Manager (Former Employee), Memphis, TNDecember 3, 2014
Pros: made many friends
Cons: some of the sad cases got a little close to home. at the time i lived with a disabled spouse.
While working for OHA, i made several friends and had a good working relationship with each employee. I was challenged initially to get settled with the workload. It had been quite sometime since the office had someone consistently entering the hearing request. I appeared that it had been formed out to who ever could spare the time during the week. So initially the files were piled high. I managed to get that process caught up. No heroic effort really just consistence. Later I was promoted to the job of assistant to the manager of the OHA. I handled the Chief Judges correspondence, the time sheets, inventory of all the equipment, GSA report of vehicles assigned to the OHA, Judges travel, and accommodations, as well as the general management of the office from reception, to traffic flow for the day to day hearings. I also processed expert witness, and fees for the hearings. I have many memories of the OHA days and a couple of funny stories.
It was very fun with enthusastic peers that keep things fresh and balanced.
Department Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 29, 2014
Pros: bus fare vouchers every month
My typical day at work is prepare meeting material for the next conference, data entry, filing, mail delivery, run office errands and whatever random assignments that my occur. I learned how to time manage, communicate with multiple supervisors, and how to work in a in a shifty workload environment.

The best part about the job was communicating and working with so many different individuals that are also hard workers like yourself.

The hardest and most difficult part about this job was low workload. When you workload is low it becomes draining. I am a highly energetic person and I need to stay busy but I understand that work gets slow sometimes.
Awarded through the Student Temporary Employment Program (STEP)
Clerk (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 28, 2014
Must be a college student enrolled part or full time.
Must maintain a certain grad point average.
Must report transcripts to Human Resource Manager.
Assigned to a department and given a title.
Perform the duties assigned by management of the department.
Fast pace call center
Debtor Contract Representative (Current Employee), Kansas City, MONovember 26, 2014
As a DCR we work accounts of many stuctures having to work cases and answer a high call volume. Provide account resolutions for challenging cases providing quality customer service.
Exposure to opportunity to serve the public
Service Representative (Former Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 24, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: restricted opportunity for advancement
Consistently provided optimum customer service in a fast paced, time sensitive environment requiring 100% accurate review of requests and application of appropriate codes for payment processing. Conducted interviews for representative payee suitability, Social Security retirement, and supplemental security income applications.
Claims Representative
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee), San Luis Obispo, CANovember 21, 2014
Pros: healthcare, 401k, union representation
Cons: massively understaffed, limited overtime for deadlines, limited training on duties
Processing Overpayment Waiver approval and denials
Process Disability, Retirement, Widows (ers), Survivors, and many other types of SSA benefit related application.
Process Representative Payee applications for those who need someone to manage payments.
Process Continuing Disability Reviews, Expedited Reinstatments as well as Work Reviews for those who are collecting and employed.
Expect frequent interruptions from public including phone calls.

Difficulty is dealing with bureaucracy, as some offices do one part of work, another office takes care of another.
Data screens can contradict one another, and misinformation to public is not uncommon.
Secure job with difficult career advancement.
Contact Representative (Current Employee), Westwood, CANovember 19, 2014
Pros: secure career, government benefits, federal pension.
Cons: difficulty to advance up the career ladder, unreliable management, limited flexibility.
When I first started working for the agency, it was for an internship in my last year at CSUN earning my Bachelors degree. I really loved the idea of helping out those less fortunate and making a difference in a person's life. When I was hired full time at the Westwood location, I was excited to begin my career in government with the hope of career advancement and endless opportunities. Over the years, it seems that the morale of the office was dwindling and the management was content with just getting by with the day-to-day basics without the seeing the bigger picture. Because federal government is lawfully structured, there is little room for improvising and adjusting to certain situation that could be better solved going outside the box that was put in place by the agency. As safe and secure as this career is, I know my skills can be better utilized in another career, one that has room for improvising and putting ideas into fruition to better the community.
Could Have Been Better
Claims Representative (Former Employee), St. LouisNovember 19, 2014
I liked my co-workers but had difficulty understanding the job and felt I wasn't trained adequately.
N/A
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee), Albany, NYNovember 13, 2014
I would not recommend this job to anyone unless you are looking to constantly be tested on all of the policies and procedures with no opportunity for remediation and job security.
Great Place to Work if you dont have a family to feed and debt to pay back
Inquiry Technician/Admin IV (Current Employee), Austin, TXNovember 9, 2014
Pros: benefits and pension to retire
Cons: low pay, no time for lunch, mgmt r dinosaurs
If you are able to take a lower pay rate and stick it out several years to advance. This is the dream job for you. You will get benefits at $0. You can go back to school at nights and weekends. You don't have to worry about dressing up, very lax and laid back atmosphere. Lots of training and opportunity...just at a slow rate. Many are retire rehires and you will be just waiting for them to leave to get the jobs that are within agency. Management is a out-dated and does not think outside of the box. very old fashioned. No talking, no cell phone, no surfing web. you get breaks and a 30 min lunch.
Stable, Productive Environment
Debt Specialist Unit Supervisor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 7, 2014
A typical government agency, for better and worse. Emphasis is placed on production and work habits, resulting in employees articulate in their work, but little to no culture within the agency itself.

About Social Security Administration

These guys have your number. Or at least you better hope they do. The Social Security Administration (SSA) pays retirement, disability, – Read more

Social Security Administration Salaries