Social Security Administration Employee Reviews

Strong Agency
Claims Representative (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 14, 2015
A good place to accelerate your skills in policy, technology and people. This was a temporary position for me to potentially be a permanent position, but it did not come to pass. I wish I could have continued working for them because I made strong working relationships while I was there.
Great long term benefits
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAJune 10, 2015
My experience here was great! Very well organized study programs for students. Diverse environment and well rounded, educated staff that offers support when you least expect it.
Enjoyed working at Social Security Administration
Personal Assistant (Former Employee), Lexington, KYJune 7, 2015
I learned how to schedule appointments for the whole office. Co-workers were easy to work with, everyone help assist each other, there was nothing hard about the work, my enjoyable part of the job was inputting/loading Hearing and Reconsiderations into the system.
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJune 5, 2015
Pros: Great place to work
Cons: Not enough employees to serve the public
Enjoyed helping the public. Great place to work. To know each day that you had made a positive impact on someone's life was a very rewarding feeling.
working for the government
Computer Operator II (Current Employee), Woodlawn, MDMay 30, 2015
working for the government is a secure job, but very few opportunities to advance. the benefits are great. the work environment can be confusing sometimes. it chnages constantly
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 29, 2015
Once a new hire is scheduled for orientation, i was responsible for fingerprinting them and running thier background check and reporting the results to the hiring manager.
It's ok
Claims Analyst (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 26, 2015
Pros: flexible work schedule with ok pay
Cons: career advancement is too slow (you could be in the same position for years), HR needs training on recruiting and retaining talent, management is awful
Same routine everyday. Researching, analyzing different cases, processing claims. Management is horrible and talent is not being recruited properly. HR and alot of the management staff needs to be replaced from the SES suite down.
Inadequate hiring process
Post-Entitlement Technical Expert (Current Employee), Woodlawn, MDMay 26, 2015
Pros: alternative schedules, flextime
Job culture has become lazy and unmotivational. This is due to the fact that there is no accountability. Advancement is luck of the draw. Between 2 applicants, the one with Master's degree and higher grade level will not achieve promotion over 2nd applicant only obtaining Associate's degree.
Customer Service
Contact Representative (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 25, 2015
Pros: Working in a client based service environment
Cons: resources to complete required services in a timely manner
Working with clients in providing excellent customer service. I learned to work with clients with diverse backgrounds. It is important to collaborate with co-workers to ensure that clients' needs are met and follow-up. To ensure that all regulations, guidelines, policies and procedures are adhered to in the process of completing all transactions. Resolving clients' issues through analyzing complex historical data, determining the appropriate course of action, and the most effective method for pursuing critical issues to a conclusion.
federal job
Operations supervisor (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAMay 19, 2015
Pros: i enjoyed my job
Cons: none
I had several positions during my time with SSA I started as a clerical and over the years advanced to supervisor. The agency allowed me to attend college fulltime at their expense and maintain a full tile job. I enjoyed the applicants taking retirement and disability claims and interacting with the public. Now everything is on line and very little customer one on one. The hardest job was taking a claims for survivors who lost a love one and left children behind.
Came through for me to have insurance so I could have my surgeries. I could never put a roof over our head, but I was able to maintain.
Disabled (Current Employee), Norcross, GAMay 9, 2015
Pros: Income of some sort when I was unable to make money myself.
Cons: The inability to get a job when I have told people that I was on SS Disability.
They have been good to me, especially because they are giving me the opportunity to go back to work on a Ticket to Work, because it is frightening having been off work so long, and not really working this body after all of the surgeries. They give me a Ticket to Work, and if I am not able to get back into the work field, which I am sure I will have no problems myself, since I went and took a phlebotomy technician class, and was certified by the NHA. I am appreciative that they will help me go back to work with baby steps. I know I won't stop once I get a health care job and be able to work well into my golden years, but there are insecurities because I haven't put working to the test yet. I am so very appreciative for the opportunity to be able to help myself again, and for the insurance they gave me so that could go tot the doctor and have myself fixed I am forever grateful!
Summary
Service Representative (Former Employee), Winder, GAMay 9, 2015
Pros: In the military there was stability, free medical and dental insurance and just meeting people from all around the world
Cons: Working at the Social Security Administration was a temporary assignment
My last employment was with the Social Security Administration located in Winder, GA. Employees were expected to report to work between the hours of 7:15 a.m. and 8:00a.m. Anytime after that you were to call in and let any member of management know whether you were coming in late or not coming in, so that the days schedule could be managed properly and someone could cover your area. I learned valuable customer service, which was to treat people with dignity and respect. You never know if you maybe the person on the other side of the desk. I know that in order to be a leader you have to know how to lead. Everyone is not able to supervise other people. Some people are not customer friendly, but customer service is a very valuable asset. Serving the public or serving other members of a team, our service and attitude to the people is number one. Being able to work together as a team is number one in keeping team building going. I think the hardest part of any job is when you have that one day that your not feeling your best, but you have to smile anyway because of your position in customer service. The most enjoyable part of any job is being able to work together with different people because anywhere you work there is a variety of people. We have people with different races, cultures, and genders. We have to put ourselves together and work to perform to the best of our abilities.
Productive and pleasant workplace.
Claims Assistant (Former Employee), Owosso, MIMay 7, 2015
Pros: Good coworker culture
Cons: Hard to get advancement/promotion
Report to job site, prepared area for customer relations. manned customer service window during open hours, performed other duties as assigned during non open hours.
Great job for work/life balance
Law Clerk (Former Employee), Falls Church, VAMay 7, 2015
Great pay and benefits. Not many advancement opportunities. Great for work/life balance. Work culture is a bit stifling and the work is repetitious. Not a very challenging or fulfilling job.
Hostile Work Environment
Service Representative (Former Employee), Charleston, SCMay 6, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Retirement system
Cons: Hostile working environment
Favoritism exhibited by upper management. unprofessional behavior of employees towards each other, high tension work environment, continual customer interactions.
Great Place to Start
Attorney-Advisor (Current Employee), Arlington, VAMay 4, 2015
Pros: good benefits, flexible hours
Cons: no public interaction
SSA offers a great chance to familiarize yourself with the format, content, and application of federal regulations. You learn relevant law, understand the administrative review process, and government procedures. You directly serve the public by becoming the link between the final level of review for matters that affect their daily lives. You also gain a substantial knowledge of medical terms and conditions, this position incorporates health law, administrative law, disability and employment law.
Social Security Review Summary
Claims Representative (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNMay 3, 2015
Pros: Pay and Benefits
Cons: Overworked and stressed environment.
I enjoyed working for Social Security but I worked long hours and missed a lot of my sons young years. I resigned from Social Security to return to school and find a schedule that was not so demanding. There were times where I worked 11 hour days and would still struggle to stay on-top of requirements, due the agencies inability to replace employees that were no-longer with the agency (hiring freeze). The workloads continually increased and many were frustrated. I have worked many week-ends to help the agency stay-afloat. The pay was great, good enough to allow me to care for myself and my son but the work environment wears on you. I returned to school to find employment that I would enjoy and allow me to be home with my family on week-ends and in the evenings.
Very nice place to work with other employees and clients
Claims Representative (Former Employee), Lancaster WIApril 27, 2015
Pros: good morale
Cons: stress
I very much enjoyed working for social security. The other staff members were easy to work with and like family. The job involved talking with the public and taking and processing applications for social security benefits. I also enjoyed inputting the changes to their records.
Diverse and Secure Workplace!
Executive Assistant to Operations Manager (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALApril 26, 2015
Pros: Diversity, Promotion, Mobility
Cons: Depending on job position, forward mobility and promotion can be an issue.
Leadership encouraged diversity within the workplace. Recognition for outstanding work ethic is highly noticed and celebrated.
Excellent Agency
Claims Representative (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 25, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: none
Good Federal agency to work for if you want to service the public. You need to be dedicated to customer service. Excellent benefits.