Social Security Administration

Social Security Administration United States Employee Reviews

Very productive
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNFebruary 10, 2015
A typical day there was busy, its where I first learned data entry, management was good althought I worked there doing the summers so it really worked with my schedule. My co-workers where great , the hardest part of my job was learning how to do data entry in a fast pace environment, the enjoyable part was it was there was room for improvment.
OKrs
SSDI (Current Employee), Salem,ORFebruary 9, 2015
I have been on this since 2007 with a few problems, such as a over payment they said I had. Paid back over 3 years. I don't have anything else to say.
Rated as one of the top 5 places to work in federal government
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Conroe, TXFebruary 6, 2015
Dealing with the public on a daily basis. As such, you must have excellent interpersonal skills. Good pay with great benefits.
Productive in this job, and helping others.
Processing Clerk (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2015
Working with Social Security Benefits and with the Administrative Law Judges. Taking hearings, typing up decisions based upon outcome. Receptionist work answering call, receiving visitors, photocopy, filing and setting hearings.
Oakland Ca Call Center Sucks!!!
Contact Representative (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: public transit subsidy, flexible start times, weekends and holidays
Cons: no hour lunches, low wages

They have flexible start times so it's really easy if you have children to drop off at school. No option for an hour lunch is why this jobs get 4 stars instead of 5

The pay is really low especially after you add in the portion of the benefits that you have to pay. It also can take 10 years to reach top pay for your position which is ridiculous especially with the cost of living being so high in the SF Bay area. It seems unreasonable to me to have to have an extensive background check for a job that pays less than $20.00 per hour.

I saw people move around to other positions while I was there and had plans to do the same. I didn't stay long enough for that to happen. I discovered very early that this job wasn't for me and didn't waste time being unhappy.

The worst management I have ever seen. Management seems to be into extreme micromanaging and they have double standards when it comes to punishment. They write you up for stuff and then they turn around and do the same thing they just wrote you up for.
Or they change the rules and not publish them but you will still get wrote up. (who does that? The Training manager)

They want to control everything about you while you are there. Very Big Brotherish!!!!

If you disagree with them, the harassment begins immediately.
If you disagree with them and you're right and their wrong, you now wear the scarlet letter "F" for FIRED.

The mangers do not appreciate your expertise nor do they welcome your opinion.

The head manager is just a talking head. He – more... knows what to say and maybe he his boss fooled, but he the most ineffective head manager and his numbers show it. I'm sure he's already looking for his next move.

The assistant manager is one of the nicest ladies you will ever meet. If she tells you something, it's done. A true woman of integrit and class.

Felt like a prison full of snitches to me. Lots of backstabbing coworkers. They have to make you look bad, so they look better. This is one sure way to advance.

The job itself is very rigid, mundane and very predictable call center stuff. Policies change a lot so if you like to read a lot you will be in heaven.

The job training is substandard, confusing and unorganized. 4 months of self pace reading the policies manuals that the peer instructors do their best to explain if you have questions. They should have some kind of train the trainers program.

I dreaded going to work and was depressed everyday going home. Not so much because of the job hard, but a very isolating job because you can't trust anyone. Also lots of family members work there too. You never know who you're talking to. – less
Fun place to work
Senior Claims Representative. (Former Employee), Glendale, CAJanuary 29, 2015
I assisted individuals in establishing entitlement to benefits under Social Security programs. I had contact with the public either in face-to-face interviews or by telephone. These contacts will allow me to obtain, clarify and verify information which will be used to analyze claims and make decisions regarding entitlement to benefits. On an average work day, I spoke to about 30 to 60 people per day. I learned how to explain the Social Security rules and regulations to people of various ages, background, ethnicity and disabilities so that the person could understand. I got along with my coworkers and most of management. Most of which I still keep in touch with on a regular basis. The hardest part of the job was learning to deal with people who did not believe I knew my job and demanded to speak to a supervisor only to have the supervisor explain the same thing the same way I did. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people to get the benefits they needed and deserved.
Fast Paced but a nurturing environment
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: multi-cultural enteractions
Cons: policy restraints
A typical work day consisted of scheduling appointments, conducting reviews and evaluating evidence. Record keeping a must. Interpersonal skills very much required. Discernment of information and policy.
Overall a good place to work
Disability (Current Employee), Owensboro, KYJanuary 24, 2015
They burned down a long time ago I bartered and was a Dj place was great!
Productive and fun place to work
Oracle DBA (Current Employee), Woodlawn, MDJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: group lunch on fridays
My daily activities are into database administration. I learned a lot about new database architectural skills. My co-workers are fine and good people. My hardest part of my job is multitasking. The most enjoying part of the job is team work.
Excellent work place.
Sr. Technical Consultant (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: challenging environement
Cons: nothing
Excellent work place, Technically sound people, Advance technology environment.
Very Productive and lots of fun and interesting
Claims Representative (Former Employee), Brunswick, GAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: we enjoyed our parties that we planned forour office.
Cons: we worked a lot of overtime and sometimes that was hard.
Working for the Social Security Administration really open my eyes to how a lot of people live and need help. Taking claims from sick people and learning about the way they lived certainly open my eyes and made me feel really good when I could help them.

The hardest part of my job was obtaining all the proofs that we need to complete the applications.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help the sick people that really need the SSI income to live and receive medical care.
Great first job out of college
Claims Representative (Current Employee), Morrow GAJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: easy style of management and great mentoring
Cons: lack of time to process workload priorities
This job consists of a great deal of autonomy, integrity, and it is very rewarding. Being able to help people from ages birth the their golden years is very rewarding.
Example fun place to work
Contact Representative (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: 2 breaks
Cons: healthcare
Social Security Administration an excellent place to work provides benefits to over fifty millions beneficiaries. You meet excellent customers with many Social Security Administration stories overall I wonderful place to work.
wonderful place to work
Reader Assistant (Former Employee), Evanston, ILJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: relaxed atmosphere
Cons: can't think of a ny
HAPPY WITH SOCIAL SECURITY - MANAGEMENT, ETC. WERE FAIR. LEFT BECAUSE MY POSITION WAS ELIMINATED BECAUSE VISUALLY IMPAIRED GENTLEMAN I SUPPORT RETIRED. OVERALL VERY HAPPY WITH CULTURE
Great Agency
Benefit Specialist (Former Employee), Kansas City, MODecember 28, 2014
This agency is truly all about serving the public. Always feel rewarding at the end of the day.
It's nice to work for a company that values you.
SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 24, 2014
It's very important for me to get along with everyone I work with. Respect and Communication it's the key for a successful workplace. Working for Social Security has been a great experience because I have been able to helped people from all over the world.
SSA
Supervisory Paralegal Specialist (Current Employee), Sacramento CADecember 23, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: restrictions on political fundraising
Excellent palce to work with excellent benefits and excellent opportunities for advancement.
Secure
Service Representative (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CADecember 17, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: limitted opportunities
Worked for very short period as part time, not a lot to say since I wasn't really a full time nor did I have benefits.
Couldn't say anything about the culture.
Social Security
Account Manager/Project Manager (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALDecember 16, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: short breaks
Multifaceted position which requires excellent time management, adaptability, communication, and team work to be successful.
Atmosphere of Cooperation
Supervisor (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMDecember 13, 2014
Pros: culture of the workplace
Cons: short lunch hour (1/2 hour)
I found working for SSA to be an overall great experience in my 24 years with the agency. I was encouraged to seek education opportunities both within the agency in outside the workplace. I worked in five facilities including three District Offices, one Branch Office and one Teleservice Center and I found good cooperation between management and staff. I was fortunate enough to have co-workers who were both cordial and helpful. The hardest part of the job was dealing with absenteeism of one the individuals I supervised, but even that was short term. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I was helping both the public and served and the people I supervised.

About Social Security Administration

These guys have your number. Or at least you better hope they do. The Social Security Administration (SSA) pays retirement, disability, – Read more

Social Security Administration Salaries