Social Security Administration Employee Reviews

Stressful Workplace but Good Job Security
Legal Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 23, 2013
The job entails processing between 12 to 15 disability cases per day and making payment determinations for the beneficiary and his/her dependents. I have learned about Title II of the Social Security Act which is The Disability and Survivor's Benefits Program. My co-workers are not that friendly making the environment sometimes unpleasant. The hardest part of the job is adjusting to the constant changes in the policies and regulations that are used to make the correct payment determinations. I enjoy getting my paycheck every two weeks and the ten Federal holidays along with the 20 days of paid annual leave. The management is okay and my supervisor is easy to talk with if I have a problem.
Pros
lots of personal and sick leave as well as federal holidays
Cons
the work site, the heavy work load and the workplace environment
It was very fun with enthusastic peers that keep things fresh and balanced.
Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 29, 2014
My typical day at work is prepare meeting material for the next conference, data entry, filing, mail delivery, run office errands and whatever random assignments that my occur. I learned how to time manage, communicate with multiple supervisors, and how to work in a in a shifty workload environment.

The best part about the job was communicating and working with so many different individuals that are also hard workers like yourself.

The hardest and most difficult part about this job was low workload. When you workload is low it becomes draining. I am a highly energetic person and I need to stay busy but I understand that work gets slow sometimes.
Pros
bus fare vouchers every month
I loved working with the public and loved assisting the disabled and old.
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLSeptember 29, 2012
This was my only job for 37 years and I loved what I did. I met all types of people with all types of personalities,attitudes and complaints. Management was willing to help with any problem I encountered with my job and personal issues. I was able to get along with all of my co workers and we were like family. The hardest part of my job was witnessing some people that were really disabled but their claims would be denied by our state agency or their income was a little over the limit for them to get benefits from SSI. It would make me happy to help people be able to receive benefits.
Pros
we had opportunities to advance in our positions, and we also have a good pension plan and health insurance.
Cons
some people were management pets and i felt that we should have been treated equal
Social Security Review Summary
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 3, 2015
I enjoyed working for Social Security but I worked long hours and missed a lot of my sons young years. I resigned from Social Security to return to school and find a schedule that was not so demanding. There were times where I worked 11 hour days and would still struggle to stay on-top of requirements, due the agencies inability to replace employees that were no-longer with the agency (hiring freeze). The workloads continually increased and many were frustrated. I have worked many week-ends to help the agency stay-afloat. The pay was great, good enough to allow me to care for myself and my son but the work environment wears on you. I returned to school to find employment that I would enjoy and allow me to be home with my family on week-ends and in the evenings.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Overworked and stressed environment.
Comfortable & secure work enviorment
Service Repersentative (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCDecember 8, 2015
Pleasant location, easy access to needed materials and training. Opportunities for promotions or transfers were always available.
Co-workers worked well together.
I learned that I had skills that I had never used BUT could be used with SSA.
Mgt. was fair and pleasant to deal with. Co-workers shared responsibilities.
The hardest part was when claimants came in because of having lost a family member OR they were denied disability benefits.
The most satisfying part was seeing the appreciation the claimants showed when they realized what SSA could do to help them.
Pros
Equal job pay and advancement for those qualified.
Cons
I have no CONS. If I were much younger and job searching, it would be t he first place I would apply.
daily contact with consumers either phone or in person
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMarch 29, 2013
meeting either in person or on telephone duty, providing courteous, prompt attention to verification of identity, assisted consumers with issues from social security cards to overpayments, applications for benefits and providing the consumer with knowledgeable information, assisted in all areas asked by supervisor or required by job requirements; i learned to mind my own business, attend to my job and keep my mouth shut, hardest part of job was not being able to help someone because of issues either with proper identification or not within scope of social security administration guidelines; the most enjoyable part of job was either hearing or seeing the relief on faces or hearing in voices if i was able to help them most most gratifying made it all worth while
Pros
good hours 7am to 3:45pm
Cons
too many fighting for power
Diverse atmosphere, never mundane
Service Representative Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 9, 2015
Working as a Customer Service Assistant, I was exposed to the daily operations of public service. Although my tenure was brief, I took full advantage of the opportunity to learn all I could from fellow employees and management. Social Security is a complex and pertinent administration in todays society. I now have a better understanding of how the programs are organized, what criteria must be met and who qualifies and when.
Daily face to face interaction with the public was my favorite part of the job. Every day brought many new faces and challenges, as well as opportunities to help people. I appreciated the diversity and disparateness of those that visited or called the office.
Pros
Great Benefits, vacation, overtime options.
Helping unfortunate people
Social Insurance Specialist Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MDNovember 17, 2012
Got to help many unfortunate people. I recently applied for vacancies at several SSA field offices located close to my home near/in Port Richey, FL using SSA’s IVOL (Internal Vacancies on-Line) process, but was not considered/selected. In regard to the most recent application I submitted for a CR position at the New Port Richey, FL field office (the office closest to my home), I still have not been notified of a selection being made for that position/s. However, through other sources, have found out that the openings were, in fact, already filled. This is not a very good way of conducting business with current employees who already work for the Agency (or with anyone for that matter).
Pros
helping unfortunate people
Cons
hiring practices
Social Security Administration
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Malden, MAJanuary 27, 2016
I enjoyed working with the public and assisting them with their claims to receive benefits to help pay for the expenses and needs. The group of individuals and managers at the Malden, MA office are a great team and strive to help as many people as they can to get the assistance that they need. I learned a lot from the people there. They were always willing to answer my questions or show how to do something or where to find the information. One of the hardest part about the job was having to tell a person that they were not eligible for benefits when clearly they need assistance. Their living arrangements and income situations sometimes prevented them from receiving benefits.
Pros
great people, benefits were decent
Cons
pay is not the greatest but does go up regularly
Self rewarding job serving the American Public
Legal Administrative Specialist (Claims Examiner) (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 5, 2016
Consistently given a new challenge everyday, I learned to confidently perform in-dept, life altering decisions for American beneficiaries. Management has very little intervention in final determinations of beneficiary record, all co-workers independently resolve matters, however we do consult well experienced colleagues about extremely complex issues where determining factors are vague. Occasionally I am required to make determinations on behalf of the organizations that disadvantageous to the beneficiary's claim. Resolving issues for beneficiaries provides a most satisfactory experience.
Pros
Low paced position, well maintained facilities and equipment
Cons
High pressure to make final decisions with little research or knowledge beneficiaries
intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 10, 2014
They first gave us a time schedule, saying that we can get them from 6- 8am. The benefits where that we were able to leave early if we come early. I would always try my best to get there between 6-630 am to start my day. Even if I come on time and theirs still work to be done I would stay and finish it. Around this time i was in summer school to complete a chemistry class which started at 5pm to 10pm. Going to work and school was the only hardest thing for me to do, but again I didn't mind. I remember their was a day the employees threw us a goodbye party for all the hard work we had did. I was able to network and also gain long term friendships.
Exciting and Professional
Disability Claims Processer Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 10, 2016
I have worked for my agency for 28 years. It has been an amazing journy and if I had to do it all over again, I would take the same exact path.I have worked in 5 different branches in 4 different offices within the agency and the degree of professionalism, ongoing training, flexibility , respect, team spirit, diversity and positive atmosphere thoughout the agency is second to none. Although the work is tedious and there is a heavy volume of work at all times, we still do manage to have fun and develope close knit personal and family like relationships in and outside of the workplace.
Pros
flexible work schedule, 401K, great medical benefits, work from home schedules, job security
Cons
pleasant work environment with amenities
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, PASeptember 28, 2014
Fast paced customer service employment administering Titles 2,16, and 19 of the Social Security Act. Maintained a pending of at least 250 clients. Learned how to multitask, meet deadlines and work alone or in group situations. Management was quite demanding and sometimes unfortunately had confrontations with employees. These incidents were usually resolved to mutual satisfaction. Wonderful interaction with coworkers. Hardest part of job was balancing work on case load with interview demands and special determinations according to agency and Federal law. Tremendous opportunity to develop customer service skills.
Pros
benefits, salaries
Cons
fast pace, and multitasking while maintaining case load, and servicing clientele with respect and dignity while under pressure
At the time I had come from a very busy hospital environment and I found the environment at the Social Security Administration to be boring
Personnel staffing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 13, 2013
My job consisted mostly of input and searching data re job openings on the computer.
What I learned was that working for the Federal Government had many advantages but that it required an adjustment from non-profit and private industry which is where most of my experience was at the time.
My co-workers were very nice and supportive
The hardest part was adjusting to the requirement of the specific job as it was more paper intensive that I had expected
The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was less hectic than my previous jobs.
Pros
relatively close to where i lived
Cons
it was not challenging enough for me compared to the other jobs i had held
Slow Pace with diverse workload
Intern (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ArkansasJuly 14, 2015
Go to work around 9am and usually get out around 4pm depending on how much work there is to be done. Depending on who has a job for me is whom I would typically work for the rest of the day or until duties are finished. Management is amazing and never express themselves as superior to me, but instead allow me to assist them as they assist me. The same goes to my co-workers as well. They all allowed me to do my job the way I wanted the job to be done. At the same time getting what they need out of a job as well. All duties that I ever got to do were all enjoyable and there was nothing about the job that was ever challenging.
Pros
free lunches, Meet new people/connections, job experience
Cons
n/a
My Time At Social Security
Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 12, 2015
As a previous employee at the Social Security Administration, I enjoyed working in the customer service department and interacting with the customers. I also enjoyed assisting and giving them a complete explanation of their benefits with the company. Management at Social Security was very professional and patient, and assisted me with solving problems. My co-workers while I was there made me feel comfortable, and we worked great as a team in assisting one another. For me, the hardest part of my job was not being able to accommodate every individual's needs at the time. But while I was there, I learned about the different areas of the Social Security Administration and how it functions in its entirety. Such as retirement, disability and widow benefits.
Pros
Talking to new people everyday
Cons
Not enough staff
Stressful but yet rewarding place to work for
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  IndianaJune 29, 2014
You have large work loads and limited time to complete the work. However you are offered overtime and credit hours to complete what they call priority work.

Pro's for security not a lot of firing at this agency. High rate of retirement these days which is why our caseloads are so large.

You normally work under three supervisors’ and a technical expert. However, you only have one direct supervisor you report to. Your technical expert is the go to person when you have complex situations occur.

Con's would be working with hostile individuals. You can get cursed out any given day by and individual.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
hostile customers and large workloads
The Social Security Administration, you are provided with many advancement opportunities.
Disability Fraud Prevention officer (Former Employee) –  WisconsinApril 7, 2014
I loved my time working with Social Security. I learned so much about the disability process that I have been able to help others acquire theirs. Co-workers were generally friendly, but obviously personally unfulfilled. The hardest part of this job would be observing patience when beneficiaries call in and make unfounded personal attacks based on their own frustration. The most enjoyable part of this position was learning skills, and administrative practices that I have utilized further into my career life.
Pros
chances for advancement, high moral in office, rewarding
Cons
ridiculous level of competition
Celebrated most holidays and birthdays
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INOctober 29, 2013
The work was intense and a lot of work. You tried to get as many claims processed as possible as they kept track of everything you did, I learned how to use the computer, Loved dealing with the claimants and helping them. Of the 30 years I worked there, almost all of the management I worked with was helpful, kind and carried about the workers. I enjoyed my co-workers and they were always there to help if needed. The hardest part of the job was when we had a problem processing the claim and had to deal with the payments centers all over the country.

I loved working with the claimants, helping them process their claims and if they had a problem trying to get it fixed.

The pay was great. The holidays and vacation time were excellent.
Pros
job was challenging
Cons
a lot of pressure to get things done timely
Diverse and interesting place to work at
Reader Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2014
I assisted a visually impaired claims representative by doing clerical duties. Later on I was granted access to the SSA system so I can do more work and meet deadlines faster. I sent out notices for the person I helped and also for my co-workers whenever I was not assisting the claims representative. I learned the SSA terminology and the programs that are used to look up clients information. There were other programs I learned to use in order to help speed up other work in the office.
Although my day was filled with work, I also met new people who helped me along the way. The office is diverse with many different backgrounds and very nice people. From the employees to management.