Social Security Administration Employee Reviews

Job benefits
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Augusta-Richmond County, GAOctober 12, 2017
Social Security is a great career. you are constantly meeting new people and great flexibility depending on your individual needs. i have moved twice with the help of the agency baced on my parents health. The agency is very supportive and the work is challenging. the hardest part of the job was being flexible and knowing how to multitask. Had to have computer knowledge to know how to control and process various workflow
Pros
great leave program, job support and training
Cons
competion and stress dealing with disabled and poor people
Meh
Title II Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 10, 2017
Government bureaucracy at its best. Poor executive management. Lots of favoritism. Union makes it so that time in matters more than performance. Little room for advancement.
poor culture
Disability Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAOctober 9, 2017
The social security administration does not provide a healthy culture for individuals looking to invest their time in a long term career. I would not recommend.
I was a pleasure working with the government employees.
Supervisor I (Former Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDOctober 6, 2017
As a contractual worker, it was a pleasure working with government employees at SSA. while working at SSA; I dreamed of becoming a government worker.
fast paced enviroment
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 5, 2017
The Social Security Administration is a faced past government agency in which you will work with and attend to a diverse staff and
customer base. One will become quite knowledgeable in SSA policies and procedures
Pros
good benefits
great team work place
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Salem, NCOctober 4, 2017
This work was to help other with their benfits. You will learn alot about the SSA and how it will work. I enjoyed work with at group.Workplace is a service base and you must understand that others will keep you moving.
Productive environment
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hammond, LAOctober 3, 2017
Excellent advancement and pay and benefits... Always busy most of the time offered overtime sometimes its hard when clients are sick or ill and need help you are limited to exactly how you can help because you do not make the final decisions. See many people and have lots of information to retain but quite challenging and interesting information.
Pros
Excellemt benefits
Cons
Sit alot
Very good work environment
Journeyman Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenville SCSeptember 29, 2017
you may start at the bottom but advancement is definitely possible and can happen very quickly if you have a good work ethic. One learns the full scope of what the Social Security Administration covers.
Pros
good salary
Cons
heavy work loads
Poor
Technician (Former Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDSeptember 28, 2017
Poorly trained staff in the Office of Learning.
Bad communication.
Fear based culture.
Inattentive management.
No room for growth.
Telework days are abused and treated as a right, not a privilege. Work suffers as a result of employee misuse.
Enabling of workers who abused their disability claims and are given no significant responsibility while also cashing 6 figure salaries.
Many opportunities available
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WASeptember 27, 2017
I worked in a mega call center so the work was constant with very little down time. Would take on average 40-50 calls a day from the public on available programs they could qualify for. I would deal with initial claims by taking the appropriate information and then scheduling an appointment for the caller to speak to a claims representative at their local office. I was responsible for ensuring the information passed to the public was accurate. I would explain program eligibility guidelines for SSDI, SSI, Medicare, retirement, survivor benefits, spousal benefits. I would handle enrollment in Medicare, overpayments, under payments and employment information.
Pros
The sky's the limit on where you can go with the Agency
Cons
some of the calls could be very stressful at times
Excellent place to work.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 27, 2017
The Social Security Administration is a safe and security place to work. There are many different opportunities for advancement. Performance is usually recognized via paid compensation, awards and promotions.
Pros
opportunities for advancement
Worked thee for over 35 years-highly recommend
Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia Area, PASeptember 26, 2017
Great sense of fulfillment by helping the aged of the country. Most employees take great pride in their work but poor upper management was often unfair and afraid of employees or of looking bad.
Pros
Salary, benefits, job security
Cons
Poor performers ae hard to fire, unqualified upper management, bureacracy at it's best
Awesome Workplace
Title XVI Claims Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 26, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the General Public! Everyday I had the privilege of helping someone with great passion, empathy, integrity, and effectually!!
Nice place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDSeptember 25, 2017
I enjoyed my time at the SSA. I worked as a government contractor, thus the time in my position was limited. It was a fair work environment, considerate employees and management. I would recommend this place to anyone who is able to get security clearance
Pros
Flex Hours - nice cafeteria
Cons
Long walk from parking lot for contractors
Relaxed professional level, employees support each other greatly
Claims Rep/Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 25, 2017
Job involved taking claims for benefits from walk-in or telephone clients, processing those claims which included payment of the government benefits.
Taking back-to-back claims can be hectic, but rewarding.
I liked the technical end of the job whereby I matched the legal requirements for a benefit with the clients' factors of eligibility.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Constant talking
Great Place To Work
Part-Time Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Clinton, SCSeptember 25, 2017
Great place to work if you love helping people. Assisting claimants with disability claims as well as replacement social security cards in addition to other related tasks.
Great working experience
Employer representative (Former Employee) –  Woodlawn, MD & Baltimoe City on Green StSeptember 24, 2017
I worked with employers to assure that their employees wages were posted correctly. Also I interacted with IRS to make sure earnings were posted correctly. I was a 1-800-employee who spoke to all the US employers and all our territories. I am a people person who interacts with the public easily.
Well help in need
Stay at home (Former Employee) –  Seminole, FLSeptember 23, 2017
It's been a culture and fun loving environment. Stay at home commodity and getting use to. I do not intend to be a head any more and I changed. I am working to secure my self in society and its culture.
Job Security
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Daly City, CASeptember 19, 2017
Since this is a Federal job it provides job security unless you commit a federal crime. I worked at the Social Security Administration for 34 years and 2 months and retired with a full pension and health benefits.
Pros
job security
Cons
Stressful and multi-tasking often poor management
government
Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2017
my first time working for the government and it was great, very classified and confidential work while still dealing with the public at the same time.