Social Security Administration

Social Security Administration Employee Reviews

Service Representative
Tele-Service Representative (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 1, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: short lunches
A typical day as a service representative is challenging. You can assist one caller with retirement benefits then the next call you can offer your condolences to a widow who recently lost her husband. I have learned to always go the extra mile when assisting customers and to be human. Show compassion and empathy. The hardest part of my job is when you have a caller that you just can't help. They may not qualify for benefits and you hear their heartfelt story and wish there was something you could do. I enjoy trying to always make a difference in a person's life.
Social Security is an excellent place to work.
Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2015
Excellent health and life insurance. Excellent vacation and sick leave. Good retirement package. I worked in a clean and safe multi- culture environment.

The procedure could be challenging and sometimes changing from day to day. I was constant attending training.

Best of all I loved interacting with the customers
N/A
CLAIMS RECORD TECHICIAN (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: ssa
WORK WITH SSA I DIFFENT THAN WORKING FOR THE NAVY I FEEL AS THOUGH I ACCOMPLISHED MORE WITH THE NAVY THAN ANY GOVERTMENT JOB
productive but overused program
Contact Representative (Current Employee), Tullahoma, TNFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: helps those in need
Cons: misused
I absolutely love helping those who are disabled, retired, and widowed. However this program is highly misused by many as a first stop source for income and should be monitored more closely.
Friendly and helpful staff
Claims Representative (Former Employee), Rockford ILFebruary 21, 2015
I enjoyed working with the other Claims Reps. They were always willing to provide assistance to trainees.

A typical day at work consisted of conducting interviews with the public for disability and retirement benefits.
Abitrary factors meddle with professional work. SSA appears to be privately owned, otherthan Federally owned.
Legal Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), Woodlawn, MDFebruary 20, 2015
Requires total reform. That System is down.
Friendly Environment
Sr. Technical Writer (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDFebruary 20, 2015
Good work atmosphere, flexible work schedule. Working with others who are very knowledgeable on a large IT project. Work with new technology.
Very rewarding for those who enjoy helping others
Technical Expert (Current Employee), McAlester, OKFebruary 16, 2015
No two days are the same. You also see all types of people for all different diversities.

If you find joy helping people then this is a job for you.
Desk job
Tele-service Representative Fort Lauderdale (Current Employee), Fort LaufderdaleFebruary 16, 2015
Busy, long and not bad for people who do not like to deal face to face with the public. I've learned the public is very interesting and the most enjoyable part of the job is leaving to go home
High paid customer service job
Claims Representative (Former Employee), DuBois, PAFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: well paid customer service position
Cons: negative work climate, belligerent claimants
To be successful here, you have to learn to deal with many types of claimants - some will appreciate your efforts, some are quite belligerent. Some will try to scam the system, some you will want to help but the laws do not allow you to. Workload is incredibly high - so much work, so little manpower to complete it. Co-workers will complain about almost anything and the negative climate can affect the most patient and positive person. Management tends to make decisions on what's "fair" and not what's best for the team as a whole.
Professional setting
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Salem, ORFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: a basis for advancement and work security
Cons: training
I worked directly with clients to process retirement and disability benefits.
I accurately communicated information in English and Spanish to ensure customer satisfaction.
I successfully handled customer service inquiries over the phone.
I provided superior customer care at all times by effectively managing time and maintaining an organized workspace.
fast paced
Customer Services Representative (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: stress
wonderful pay and benefits. helping those in need. can be very stressful. never dull. there are always changes. must be able to multitask and work through interuptions
Verry good
System Administration (Former Employee), Fort Huachuca AZFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: working at the doim was verry well
Cons: work at the doim was a dead end as for a rank
At the USAICS DOIM Fort Huachuca was a good place to work a lot of turn overs but mostly for the best, management had a good standing.
Stable and secure, but stressful and mind-numbingly boring
Claims Representative (Current Employee), Boulder, COFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: short breaks, no room for individual thought or initiative
The hardest parts of this job are the endless monotony of government rules and regulations and working with the general public, many of whom are senil and elderly or mentally disabled.
Very productive
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNFebruary 10, 2015
A typical day there was busy, its where I first learned data entry, management was good althought I worked there doing the summers so it really worked with my schedule. My co-workers where great , the hardest part of my job was learning how to do data entry in a fast pace environment, the enjoyable part was it was there was room for improvment.
OKrs
SSDI (Current Employee), Salem,ORFebruary 9, 2015
I have been on this since 2007 with a few problems, such as a over payment they said I had. Paid back over 3 years. I don't have anything else to say.
Rated as one of the top 5 places to work in federal government
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Conroe, TXFebruary 6, 2015
Dealing with the public on a daily basis. As such, you must have excellent interpersonal skills. Good pay with great benefits.
Productive in this job, and helping others.
Processing Clerk (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2015
Working with Social Security Benefits and with the Administrative Law Judges. Taking hearings, typing up decisions based upon outcome. Receptionist work answering call, receiving visitors, photocopy, filing and setting hearings.
Oakland Ca Call Center Sucks!!!
Contact Representative (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: public transit subsidy, flexible start times, weekends and holidays
Cons: no hour lunches, low wages

They have flexible start times so it's really easy if you have children to drop off at school. No option for an hour lunch is why this jobs get 4 stars instead of 5

The pay is really low especially after you add in the portion of the benefits that you have to pay. It also can take 10 years to reach top pay for your position which is ridiculous especially with the cost of living being so high in the SF Bay area. It seems unreasonable to me to have to have an extensive background check for a job that pays less than $20.00 per hour.

I saw people move around to other positions while I was there and had plans to do the same. I didn't stay long enough for that to happen. I discovered very early that this job wasn't for me and didn't waste time being unhappy.

The worst management I have ever seen. Management seems to be into extreme micromanaging and they have double standards when it comes to punishment. They write you up for stuff and then they turn around and do the same thing they just wrote you up for.
Or they change the rules and not publish them but you will still get wrote up. (who does that? The Training manager)

They want to control everything about you while you are there. Very Big Brotherish!!!!

If you disagree with them, the harassment begins immediately.
If you disagree with them and you're right and their wrong, you now wear the scarlet letter "F" for FIRED.

The mangers do not appreciate your expertise nor do they welcome your opinion.

The head manager is just a talking head. He – more... knows what to say and maybe he his boss fooled, but he the most ineffective head manager and his numbers show it. I'm sure he's already looking for his next move.

The assistant manager is one of the nicest ladies you will ever meet. If she tells you something, it's done. A true woman of integrit and class.

Felt like a prison full of snitches to me. Lots of backstabbing coworkers. They have to make you look bad, so they look better. This is one sure way to advance.

The job itself is very rigid, mundane and very predictable call center stuff. Policies change a lot so if you like to read a lot you will be in heaven.

The job training is substandard, confusing and unorganized. 4 months of self pace reading the policies manuals that the peer instructors do their best to explain if you have questions. They should have some kind of train the trainers program.

I dreaded going to work and was depressed everyday going home. Not so much because of the job hard, but a very isolating job because you can't trust anyone. Also lots of family members work there too. You never know who you're talking to. – less
Fun place to work
Senior Claims Representative. (Former Employee), Glendale, CAJanuary 29, 2015
I assisted individuals in establishing entitlement to benefits under Social Security programs. I had contact with the public either in face-to-face interviews or by telephone. These contacts will allow me to obtain, clarify and verify information which will be used to analyze claims and make decisions regarding entitlement to benefits. On an average work day, I spoke to about 30 to 60 people per day. I learned how to explain the Social Security rules and regulations to people of various ages, background, ethnicity and disabilities so that the person could understand. I got along with my coworkers and most of management. Most of which I still keep in touch with on a regular basis. The hardest part of the job was learning to deal with people who did not believe I knew my job and demanded to speak to a supervisor only to have the supervisor explain the same thing the same way I did. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people to get the benefits they needed and deserved.

About Social Security Administration

These guys have your number. Or at least you better hope they do. The Social Security Administration (SSA) pays retirement, disability, – Read more

Social Security Administration Salaries