Social Security Administration Employee Reviews in United States

stressful and unreasonable expectations
service representative (Former Employee) –  Brenham, TXOctober 14, 2015
work loads not balanced, compensation not compatible to work loads.

Started day working on various work loads, then worked at the window servicing incoming public for a period of 6 hours, or answer telephones for the same period of time, then after 6 hours paperwork and electronic workloads need to be worked. Not enough time during the day to complete work loads, not enough personnel to process all incoming public, phone calls, incoming mail requests, and electronic workloads. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction to make at least one customer happy.
Pros
Cons
not a balanced work atmosphere
Love working here
CSR (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 30, 2015
There is a lot of room for growth here, the managers are very supportive. We work on what they call " flex time" which means you can come in as early as 6am or as late as 9:30. It allows you to make your doctors appointments or just sleep in late on Mondays. Family like atmosphere.
Pros
flex time, cafeteria
Cons
non
I was a Teleservice Representative, which meant that I was responsible for customer service whenever clients called in.
TeleService Representative, Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM, Big Spring TX, and Houston, TXOctober 23, 2015
I answered clients phone calls, did some problem solving when they were not sure what their questions were. I set-up new claims for potential SSI or disability recipients. I adjudicated the claims for the client, and if the required further assistance other than what Social Security could provide, I would refer them to other agencies or local institutions.
The most enjoyable part of the job was opening doors for someone when they thought they had hit a brick wall - their gratitude was awesome.
Pros
Being able to help people who really needed help, finding coworkers who had the same compassion as I did.
Cons
Reporting process when you took too long on a call was combersome.
The every day basis
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WANovember 4, 2015
I provided assistance to the public on a daily basis answering a wide variety of questions from the public by interviewing the individual, investigating the situation and resolving the problem.
Pros
Its satisfying to help individuals when they are on need.
Cons
It can be really stressful at times, you just have to keep your head up.
Productive day at SSA
STUDENT INTERN 2015 (Former Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDDecember 27, 2015
Overall the staff and atmosphere at SSA is great. Interning as a junior and senior in high school has opened my eyes to the real world. I highly recommend the agency to anyone.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
It was an 80 hour internship
First time in a workplace, exciting
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 31, 2016
I would input clients info into database and provide translation service to hispanics and customer service. It was a good place to be at, friendly environment
Great place in government. Excellent for diversity
Program Manager/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDOctober 3, 2015
SSA is a good place to work. It welcomes diversity and analytical minds. There is a job for almost any skills set from facilities to executive management. The typical day can be helping someone file for benefits or participating in a workgroup meeting to make a policy change. The hardest part is meeting the demands of the work as we serve everyone in the nation. The most enjoyable part is the gratification of knowing you have helped someone.
Great Work Experience
Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  AtlantaOctober 2, 2015
During my recent internship with Social Security Administration this summer I had the opportunity to network with so many great individuals. This was a very hands-on job that allowed me to be productive in areas of my major in Public Administration. I learned a lot about engaging with the public. I worked for at least five executives, and am very grateful for the wisdom they have shared with me about life and their own experiences. It was always a positive and professional atmosphere.
Requires a lot of time and attention
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 24, 2016
I enjoyed the people but not necessarily the work. It can quickly get cumbersome but as time goes buy you will learn a system that works for you...hopefully.
excellent national social insurance program
Executive Officer of Central Operations (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 12, 2015
great place to work for 28 years. I started as A GS 7 and retired as a District Manager in Florida 28 years later at the GS 15 level.
Pros
First class government employer
Cons
great deal of travel
A very trustworthy company
beneficiary (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXDecember 7, 2015
I have been receiving benefits from the Social Security Administration since 1999 and have no problems in getting my pay from them. The hardest part is I am in the low poverty level and can barley make ends meet.
Pros
Free money
Cons
Little pay
Legal Assistant/Case Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 22, 2015
a typical day of work consisted of constant multi tasking in several areas which made the work day pass quickly and kept things interesting. I learned a lot of interesting details regarding the process of filing for disability compensation. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with my coworkers and management.
Pros
A great learning environment
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Typical day
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 28, 2015
I have been with SSA for over ten years. It is a great place if you like dealing with the public. Great benefits the staff works well together. Go to usajobs and apply today.
Benefits
Cons
The work is never ending
Great Place to work.
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDNovember 21, 2015
It is a very hard working environment, but the co-workers know when to have fun when the work is done. The clientele is a bit straining, but the good you can accomplish is very rewarding.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
cubicle work stations
General Office environment
Federal employee (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 12, 2016
Full time employment with overtime. Sedentary. Monotonous. There was no public contact until I became an Inquiries and Expediting Specialist.
Productive work environment that requires constant interaction with the general public
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHSeptember 6, 2015
Secured work environment that requires providing constant customer service to the general public regarding all Social Security Administrative (SSA) benefits and issues.
Pros
Constantly interacting with people of all nationalities, Assisting customers and improving their quality of life
Cons
Staying compliant with SSA changes.
Excellent Place to Work
Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDNovember 14, 2015
Great job opportunity. Flexible work schedule. Room for advancement and growth. great benefits. great people to work with. joy in knowing that what you do affects others in a positive way.
Pros
good benefits; flexible schedule
typical day at work
Fork Lift Operator (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYNovember 4, 2015
move around the different offices and departments into the SSA building to help with any needs they have. also, operate the machines (fork lift, electric pallet jack, etc...) to move the pallets in the warehouse and different floors in the building
bad office to work in
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 18, 2015
good employees, bad management. Not enough people and resources to do the job properly or timely. Management does not know how to manage and doesn't really think about the beneficiaries but like to say they do.
The Job is very rewarding
Senior Case Technician/ODAR (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 16, 2015
I prepare cases for social security hearings, for claimants that have applied for benefits and were denied for whatever reasons. They can have a hearing before a judge.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Temporary Lay offs

4.2