Social Security Administration Employee Reviews

Great
Office Automation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 13, 2017
I was young but if there were an opportunity to stay I would have stayed. I worked as a stay in schooler my sophomore and junior year in high school I really like this place
A Chance to learn something new & meet new friends
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 11, 2017
Friendly, outgoing people worked there; training provided a break or respite from my humdrum card catalog job.
All I really did was just listen to personal information, checking for errors, then writing up error reports.
Pros
FlexTime
Cons
just a training position; people not very informative or clear about my assignment
good
Contact Representative (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 11, 2017
Great Government job, being on phones all day a little stress full but rewarding as well. Great benefits also helps you get prepared for you decide to retire.
Poor company
Supervisor of Case Management (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 11, 2017
Company closed due to bankruptcy and did not leave room for there employees to have payment security. This company closed 247 offices world wide. The company was very cut throat and management was unprofessional coming in drunk, yelling at employees as if they were home talking to their children.
A great place to work
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDSeptember 7, 2017
Social Security is a good place to work. The pay and benefits are good. There are opportunities for advancement. For whatever position you hold, you will receive training.
Great benefits; stressful work.
Technical Expert (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, OKSeptember 7, 2017
Benefits are great. Very stressful work environment. Must be able to deal with difficult clients who are sometimes mentally ill. Work hours are long. Training is excellent and provided.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Too much work; not enough workers.
Productivity
Benefit Earnings Tech (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 5, 2017
Always work to do and you will always be trained for whatever job they have for you . You will learn a lot about what you will have to do in order to maintain a good work records for your retirement
Pros
Everyone is different
Cons
Everyone is different
Great place to work. Must work hard to stay on top of workloads
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 4, 2017
SSA is an awesome place! It is competitive so you have to stay on top of your workloads and lists. You have to be able to work with the public obviously, practice patience and empathy daily. It's a new day everyday, litteraly, no two days are the same. You'll never get bored. The insurance options are the best, and vacation, sick leave are nice too.
Pros
Benefits, great environment, lots of opprtunity for growth
Cons
Very competitive
Excellent place to work. Fast pace but great pay and benefits
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodridge, ILSeptember 3, 2017
Excellent place to work. Fast pace but great pay and benefits.Job security. Several opportunities to advance all over the United States. Government Job.
Pros
Pay, benefits and job security
Cons
Stressful and extremely busy
Enjoyable place to work
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Midwood, NYSeptember 2, 2017
I don't really have a ton to say, good pay, good benefits and great work life balance. They work with you if you work with them, be honest about your needs and they will accommodate you.
Pros
Compensation, upward mobility
Cons
Learning xurve
Professional and courtesy work environment
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, IN 47905September 2, 2017
My typical day was to assist the case managers with whatever they needed to provide accurate and reasonable quick service to the clients. Management was approachable, and it was OK to ask questions if you did not understand something. Everyone knew their jobs and worked efficiently in helping clients, whether in person or over the telephone. I enjoyed working there.
Pros
Good environment to be able to work
Cons
Getting full-time employment
Social Security Administration
Internship & Training Program (Current Employee) –  San Marcos CaliforniaSeptember 1, 2017
After graduating from college, under a veteran program I perform internship and training at the Administration. My training will end and be seeking a career. Is a great place to work at, the team is well managed by great supervisors and creates an awesome working environment.
Productive and great experience
IT Help Desk Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 30, 2017
A typical day started off at 5am. I started receiving calls from internal employees around 6am. It started to get busy around 9am. I received between 30-50+ calls a day.
Pros
Room to grow
Cons
Pay
Boring Work Matters
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WAAugust 29, 2017
As a CSR at SSA, all day is spent on the phones with sometimes very unpleasant people. The benefits are good, and eventually after some time the pay becomes worth it. It is a job that takes a little while to find satisfaction in doing but eventually, it does become a lot easier. Unfortunately, there are not opportunities to advance until after 4 years of work.
Received Supplement
SSA (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSAugust 27, 2017
It's OK to get SSA but I've always been the working type so Im trying to get back in the work field. Not many benefits come with my income. Although I prefer to work anyways .
Pros
Paying me what I put in..
Cons
No Vision or dental insurance
Excellent
Control Record Technician-Social Security (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 24, 2017
The government has a lot of awesome benefits and the pay scale is excellent. The opportunities are endless. The ability to be educated through them is phenomenal.
work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  6100 Wasbah AveAugust 24, 2017
the typical work day would be getting laid out about where is the check, or when is going to come. I set appointments for retirement claims. I answer questions about a claims, change address.
Work at Social Security is soul-deadening
Case Representative (Former Employee) –  Natchez, MSAugust 24, 2017
Yes, you read that right. Expect to work with people who will not help anyone who does not belong to their labor union, ethnic group, or skin color. Despite being under the umbrella of the federal government, there is a highly-charged atmosphere of racial and ethnic tension. Jobs are assigned according to one's ethnic group. If you happen to be placed in a position that had been designed (informally by the labor union) for someone of another ethnic group, be ready for endless recriminations.
Social Security Administration
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 21, 2017
The job itself is very easy and not stressful or mentally taxing. However the training could be much shorter the execution of the lessons could improve.
Pros
Not stressful
Cons
Training is excessively long
fast paced
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 17, 2017
Loved helping people, and the work load was a lot so i enjoyed it. However, when cut backs were taking place I was one of the last hired. Working with the public is something that I really enjoyed.
Pros
insurance paid vacation
Cons
high threats from the public