Social Security Administration Employee Reviews

fun place to work at.
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNAugust 29, 2016
Awesome job to work at I would like to work at a job very similar to this one.
I learned how to be put under pressure really quick to understand what people needed.
Using My Best Talents in a Great Federal Agency
Paralegal Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 28, 2016
The Social Security Administration consistently ranks among the highest of the federal agencies in employee satisfaction. My Tulsa ODAR (Office of Disability Adjudication and Review) is consistently in the top 10 offices in the nation for productivity at all levels. The hardest part of my job of writing disability decisions was to give a rationale for denied claimants that took into consideration the entire scope of their claim. This usually included addressing multiple impairments, some of which, at least, were usually not well-documented or not recently documented by medical evidence. The denied cases were subject to review by the Appeals Council. It was not easy to cover every aspect of a case that the Appeals Council might object to in the analysis I had made of the case.

Every case I wrote had the potential of teaching me something new about fact analysis or about a Social Securing Ruling I had not before encountered.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction I received in writing a particularly persuasive decision. I received both informal commendations of my writing by ALJs and formal cash awards from ODAR. Throughout my tenure as a writer, I was by far the most productive writer in the office.

I had wonderful coworkers in both the Tulsa and the Albuquerque ODAR offices. I hope and intend to keep some of them as lifelong friends.
Pros
Work environment, the writing process, and the feeling of being an integral part of a public service organization
Cons
Some AC remands appeared concerned mostly about evidence not of much significance.
good work place
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAAugust 26, 2016
continuous training and development support. rewarding career assisting the public with applications for retirement, disability and survivor benefits.
Pros
employee benefits
Cons
advancement is available but career ladder is limited to 5 rungs
great office and excellent team work
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXAugust 22, 2016
The office is a great place to work , but infortune is a temporary job for a year and I need to secure medical insurance for my wife
Pros
Great place to work with clients
Cons
healthcare for temporary employees
Great Staff, Great Environment
Facilites Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2016
I loved my department and coworkers great environment,

Great holidays and really made you feel like a family, i worked with a lot of ex military vets, so you get the "DRILL"

Got a lot of learning experience learned a lot from my staff.
Pros
Very friendly, great workplace
Cons
Job advancement is tough
Overall satisfactory; employee friendly
Physical Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 14, 2016
- ability to control my schedule and hours (within specific limits).
- cubical office space
- provides classes for self improvement and career expansion
A day with the Government
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dade City, FLAugust 12, 2016
A typical day with the Social Security Office is preparing for interviews and meeting dead lines. My co-workers and I have built a bond and we work as a team. The most enjoyable part of my job is the clients.
Pros
Great benefits
n/a
examiner (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 2, 2016
job security, valuable company to work for, not too much opportunity for advancement, small company with close personal relations with some great people, valuable teams, opportunity to earn more income
Very hectic environment and tasks is never ending site.
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNAugust 1, 2016
Lots of training and lots of rule and regulations. As training for 3 months and lots of updating in rule that have to keep up. Great co workers and lot of drama in the office. Never a dull moment everyday and met interesting people.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Load of unfinished task or cases.
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJuly 26, 2016
I personally got a great opportunity to work here while in high school as internship program. Great people and eager to teach individuals s to gain experience
Productive and rewarding
Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 15, 2016
Spend time with field office managers and workers designing new office space and working with contractors and building owners to bring about a quality product. Oversaw construction and made field changes and improvements that were needed and missed in design or were requested changes.

Working with peers was a rewarding and productive. The teamwork effort was a major reason projects had timely completion.
Pros
team work
Cons
Headquarters buracracy
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 15, 2016
Working helping people can be the most rewarding thing anyone can do for a living. I love my job but I am ready to relocate.
Enjoy assiting the public/resolve problems
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 12, 2016
Either work on telephone or at a front lobby window, call claimants by number order, assist in resolving trivial or complex issues.
I like to be a team player, communicate both with co-workers and/ot management to maintain good rapport.
In general not a typically hard job, we encounter both happy and irate customers, but look for ways to find a common ground and resolution to task at hand.
Overalt, job is enjoyable.
Pros
Good benefits, excellent manger staff
Cons
No to speak of
Co-workers Great.
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJuly 12, 2016
Service Representative. I have a great deal of respect for all who work at SSA. They all work very hard to help the public and have many tasks that most people never know.

Management at the Lancaster office are some of the most Professional and caring people I have ever met.
Pros
Management, Employees, Benefits.
Cons
Never able to catch up on work load.
empathy vs sympathy
Claims Record Techniction (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAJuly 11, 2016
While working for Social Security Administration, I found that our job includes being a counselor to several people who do not know what to do after the loss of a loved one. Even though we were to have empathy, however after loss of my, sympathy was all I felt for all beneficiaries.
Cons
Listening to the beneficiaries talk about their loved ones.
good job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 7, 2016
Working for SSA was a good job. The schedule was reasonable the call volume was always high. management was pretty good.
Professionally run Federal Office
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJuly 4, 2016
The SSA may be the most efficiently managed arm of the U S Government. May be we were fortunate with our management. Whatever the actual case, I found that working for SSA that the constituency in our jurisdiction were efficiently served.

It is not easy for every one in need of Social Security to acquire efficient and adequate funding without the assistance of office personnel. We were trained exceptionally well. Our training was intense and lengthy. Following seven weeks of classroom style training, we would then be assigned a supervising mentor with an associate mentor. Even though the breadth of technical information was magnanimous, it was almost impossible to make an error with a client's award because of the assistance from partners, supervisors and most every one in authority in the office.

A pleasurable environment in which to work. The co-workers were the most professional, personable and caring individuals anyone could ask for. They all seemed to be highly educated and devoted to perfection. They also seemed to have a cheery attitude day in and day out. That environment was fostered by the site manager, but endorsed and lived by everyone in the office on a daily basis.
Pros
Career benefits
Cons
In four years, I only interpreted for two people. I was not in my proper environment.
Excellent Place to work
Program Expert (Current Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDJuly 2, 2016
I love working for this agency. The salary is awesome and the benefits are good. There are a lot of opportunities for professional development and career advancement.
Fun place to work also is a learning experience
Disability Benefit Authorizer (Former Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDJune 30, 2016
As a benefit authorizer, I investigated, processed, and authorized disability benefits for claimants all over the US. I was very knowledgeable in various disabilities. Based on my knowledge and investigation, along with the physicians conclusion helped me to determine if claimant was eligible for benefits and to what degree and for how long.
Really great place to work
TX. Service Representative assisting the public (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJune 29, 2016
I was able to help people of the community in retirement benefits and medicare enrollment. It was trying at times when there were upset claimants, but to keep a professional face and try to fix the issue while keeping my cool is something that i pride on.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Social Security Administration. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2