Social Security Administration

Social Security Administration Employer Reviews

Great co-workers and wonderful Administrative Law Judges
Legal Assistant (OA) CT (Former Employee), Greenville, SCAugust 26, 2013
Pros: flexible work hours and great benefits.
Cons: frustration with other ssa offices and their lack of quality work.
I worked with some great people. Our mission was to serve the public to the best of our ability and we strived every year to improve our service. It was very satisfying to know that I was personally making a difference every day for every claimant.
Productive and very rewarding
Claims Authorizer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: poor management and supervision
I had the honor to work in an Internship as a Claims Authorizer in the Chicago Corporate offices.

Management is very poor and has issues updating its systems to welcome new interns.
Nice place to work...
Contact Representative (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYAugust 19, 2013
Pros: co-workers, work environment.
Nice place to work, great co-workers, professional managers.
Solid organization with good mission
Budget Analyst (Current Employee), Woodlawn, MDAugust 17, 2013
Pros: excellent compensation, good work life balance
I learned about the federal budget system, how to budget for salaries and benefits, and how my job as a budget analyst affected the entire agency.

The hardest part of my job was ensuring that my counterparts understood the severity of sequestration and how that relates to their expenses.
GOOD PLACE TO WORK
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDAugust 9, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: lazy employees
Learned much about Disability Insurance Program, Management was diverse. Many coworkers did not put forth much effort. Hardest part of job was atmosphere.

Helping disables was best part of job
good palce to work
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 8, 2013
not much to say. work twice as hard as any other job i have ever had.
Social Security
Claims Representative (Current Employee), St Louis, MOAugust 7, 2013
I take disability and retirement claims for clients. I assist with client inquires and check status.
I enjoyed my work as an attorney with SSA.
Attorney Advisor (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 5, 2013
Pros: medical insurance, work at home, flexible work schedules, pay and leave policy.
Cons: limited opportunities for advancement, retirement plan
A typical work day included reviewing a judge's writing instructions and analyzing the medical exhibits and hearing notes in order to write a legally definitive decision for a social security disability case. Working for SSA gave me a comprehensive working knowledge of physical and mental impairments, vocational factors, provisions of Title II/Title – more... XVI Federal Social Security law, and decision writing. Management overall was good. However, their micromanaging was often frustrating. The office worked as a team in order to meet our office goals as well as regional and national goals. The hardest part of the job was being limited to very few opportunities for advancement. I looked forward to work and seeing my co-workers every day. – less
Graet place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 31, 2013
• Records Management
o Performed clerical duties as assigned, with strong verbal and written communication skills.
o Document generating system(DGS)- Database system with electronic files
o Case processing management system(CPMS)- query with claimant information
Enjoyable place to work
Information Technology Specialist (Network) (This (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOJuly 31, 2013
Typical day involves providing network support to the Kansas City region of Social Security Administration offices. This spans multiple states for coverage. Responsible for the networking, servers, printing, and backup devices.
Files goes into alphabetical order
File Clerk (Former Employee), Richmond, CAJuly 31, 2013
The files with the last names goes Alphabetical so that people can find their last names on the folder and with their numbers on them.
average employer
Tele-Service Representative, GS (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 30, 2013
Pros: job security
Cons: top heavy
6 hours on the phone. Promotions are based on longevity on the job.
Nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 27, 2013
Pros: helping people solve their disability claims
Cons: n/a
Learned a lot and did a lot of work and also help people on a daily basis
Monotonous
Social Insurance Specialist (Current Employee), Lynn, MAJuly 23, 2013
Pros: salary, security
Cons: work space (small cube), monotonous, unappreciated
As the administer of a work incentive program, the best part of my job is being able to help clients work themselves off of disability benefits.

I've learned that working for the government has many drawbacks. Although the salary is fine, personal initiative is neither welcomed nor appreciated.

Each day is exactly the same.
Excellent
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 22, 2013
Fast paced, office enviornemnt. Very busy work place, but great place of employment
Friendly work environment
Student Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 22, 2013
Pros: great pay and eye care program.
Cons: no healthcare for student employees.
Limited Supervision. Upper management places the utmost trust in their workers. Co-workers are friendly and also willing to help with workload as well give advice and assist in miscellaneous activities.
Please see resume
Senior Attorney Advisor (Former Employee), New Orleans, Pittsburgh, NorfolkJuly 21, 2013
Pros: anayltic writing
Cons: supervisors who were not qualified for the job
Please see resume: reviewed hundreds of pages of medical records each day, synthesized such records, and drafted a 14 page decision all within 8 hours. I did this every day as well as numerous, other duties as assigned.
Productive an fun work place
Contractor (Current Employee), Durham, NCJuly 18, 2013
Pros: the hours
Cons: health care
It has been an honor to work for ssa ,as they have made me grow into a responsible,determined,and loyal person when it comes to my work ethics.
A DEFINED WORK ETHIC
TELESERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee), birmingham, alJuly 17, 2013
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK STARTS WITH READING UP ON EMAIL UPDATES BEFORE THE ACTUAL MEETING WITH THE PUBLIC BEGINS. I READ ALL UPDATES TO MAKE SURE THAT I AM ABREAST OF ANY NEW CHANGES OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT MAY BE NECESSARY TO KNOW IN ORDER TO ASSIST THE PUBLIC. SOCIAL SECURITY'S POLICIES AND PROCEDURES CHANGES ALL THE TIME. I LISTENING CAREFULLY TO GET – more... AN UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT OUR CLIENT NEEDS ARE AND SOLVE THEIR PROBLEM OR DIRECT IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL IF I'M NOT ABLE TO SOLVE. MY JOB CONSISTS OF REFERRALS AND EXTENSIVE RESEARCH. THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS NOT BEING ABLE TO SATISFY SOMEONE'S NEED THAT I MAY HAVE TO REFER. THE MANAGERS ARE VERY BUSY SO I TRY NOT TO BOTHER THEM UNLESS ABSOUTELY NECESSARY. THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB IS WHEN I CAN RESOLVE AN ISSUE FOR SOMEONE WHEN THEY FELT THERE WERE NO HOPE. – less
Education work place
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 16, 2013
Excellent work environment. I learned a lot from this company.

About Social Security Administration

These guys have your number. Or at least you better hope they do. The Social Security Administration (SSA) pays retirement, disability, – Read more