Social Security Administration

Social Security Administration Employer Reviews

ss a cards
Service/Contract Representative (Former Employee), Decatur, ALJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: helping others
Cons: long days
completing benefits application, coworkers worked together, working the window to help people getting an application approved
I loved my job as a Legal Technician.
Legal Technician (Former Employee), Wichita, Ks.December 30, 2013
Pros: flex hours, pay, benefits
Cons: knowing that people were desperate to receive benefits, were in distress with medical conditions out of their control.
Reviewed medical records, arranged them in chronological order preparing them the Administrative Law Judge review and hearing. Scheduled hearings, spoke to clients, attorneys, other staff regarding disability issues.

Hardest part of the job was mailing out denials to people you felt were truly disabled but had been disallowed by the Administrative – more... Law Judge.

Co-workers were fun, was well liked and still have friends working there. – less
Work with very talented people
IT Specialist, Team Leader (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDDecember 29, 2013
A great government organization with highly technical people.
Great place
Special Claims Representative (Former Employee), Laredo, TXDecember 19, 2013
Pros: all good
Just do your work and all your supervisors will leave your alone.
Great income increases
Once you're there...you can't really go anywhere else
Senior Case Technician (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 16, 2013
Pros: flex schedule
Cons: no upward mobility
Working with SSA isn't so bad. But please know that once you get into the appeals branch/office with SSA, you can't really get out. So be sure that you REALLY like what you're about to do.
helping at the work place
Federal Security Officer (Current Employee), Woodlawn, MDDecember 15, 2013
Pros: free luch etc.
Cons: short breaks ect
sometimes slow but perfect, management can be a challenge dealing with a variety of work but not hard at all, my co worker's are great team player's, the most enjoyable part of my job is helping and healing , yes working in a federal building you fined your self in a healing moment because so many people come in everyday with something wrong and when – more... you can challenge the everyday battle and deal with it , then you become the winner of the day, and at the end you think back to that moment and smile because you completed all your work for the day!!! I love to heal and help – less
Retirement, Survivors, and Disability Clients
Claims Representative (Former Employee), Richmond, INDecember 5, 2013
Pros: retired and survivor clients are genuine
Cons: no dental provided and medical has much to be desired
Productive and very rewarding interviews with the retired, widow/widower, and disabled adult/children communities. I enjoy laughing, crying, rejoicing, ministering and uplift with the clients.
Professionalism and helping the public with their important situations
Claims Representative (Former Employee), Washington DCNovember 27, 2013
Pros: luncheons, christmas parties, lunch, vacations
Cons: having to tell a person who you have watch deteriate in front of your eyes denied disability.
Face to Face interview with the public. People came in to apply for Disability, Social Security Retirement Benefits, Social Security Cards, Death Benefits, so you had to always be very professional. There were times when you were challenged, sometimes people were very verbally abusive, but you had to remain professional. I learned that the Social Security – more... Office was more than just filing for a Social Security Card. Management was very important, because when the public came to the office to ask about their claim you had to have everything in order. As co-workers, we were like family, we go along great. Dealing with the abusive public was the hardest to adjust to. The most enjoyable part of the job was when you are able to tell a person who has filed for disability that their claim has be approved. – less
I learn how to interact with higher management
Social Insurance Specialist/Benefit Authorizer (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 22, 2013
The ability to interact with individuals of all level was very educational and a learning experience.
very professional
Psychiatric Medical Advisor (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 19, 2013
Pros: intersting work
Cons: was only part time - the rest was private practice
Good staff, interesting work and relates extensively with the legal departments
Productive and paid holidays
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALNovember 15, 2013
Pros: fact that i was able to help someone
Cons: not being able to help some people for certain reasons when i felt they really needed the help.
A typical day at work would consist of reviewing accounts, answering the phone, and helping co-workers as needed. I learned how to be a team player and sometimes motivate others. The management at this job was very good. They would always lay out the ground rules and had high expectations of all their employees. They would never assign a task that they – more... were not willing or capable of doing themselves. My co-workers were very motivated individuals who always displayed team work and always tried to work together and do the best job they could to help the clients we served. The hardest part of this job is having to accept the fact that we are not able to help everyone. As hard as we try some people just do not meet the qualifications and it is sometimes very hard for me to see someone that has not been helped. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I am able to help someone that is in need. I base my job on being able to do all that I can to help every client that I come in contact with. – less
public relations
Social Insurance Claims Representative (Current Employee), Oswego, NYNovember 14, 2013
I work with the public and take interviews for social security disability insurance and supplemental security income. I screen each customer for eligibility of the programs and process 2 applications and gather medical information on the clients. I conduct face to face interviews and telephone interviews.
Busy
Intern (Former Employee), Midlothian, VANovember 12, 2013
Pros: friendly coworkers
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work was to go and clock in and report straight to the supervisor and manager. Make sure all of the printers had paper, all trash cans were empty, insert all data into the computer, organize mail in the back room as well put together bags for customers.
Productive and fun work place
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Denver, CONovember 6, 2013
work independently with little to no supervision, very little team work involved.
Good
Teleservice Contact Representative (Current Employee), baltimore,marylandNovember 4, 2013
Great place to work for. Just on the phones all day long and they want to make sure you taking call after call. management is ok. benefits is great. time for me to move up and learn something new.
Celebrated most holidays and birthdays
Claims Representative (Former Employee), Anderson, INOctober 29, 2013
Pros: job was challenging
Cons: a lot of pressure to get things done timely
The work was intense and a lot of work. You tried to get as many claims processed as possible as they kept track of everything you did, I learned how to use the computer, Loved dealing with the claimants and helping them. Of the 30 years I worked there, almost all of the management I worked with was helpful, kind and carried about the workers. I enjoyed – more... my co-workers and they were always there to help if needed. The hardest part of the job was when we had a problem processing the claim and had to deal with the payments centers all over the country.

I loved working with the claimants, helping them process their claims and if they had a problem trying to get it fixed.

The pay was great. The holidays and vacation time were excellent. – less
Family Environment
Jr Underwriter (Former Employee), Birmingham, AlOctober 29, 2013
Pros: great on-site lunch, friends, management, etc
Cons: we had to go home sometime.
My job at the social security administration is by far my most enjoyable work experience in my life. The people were friendly, compensation was good, just a overall great place to be. I learned how to use discretion at this job accurately and proficiently. My co-workers were my family.
Government Job
Claims Representative (Current Employee), TexasOctober 18, 2013
Pros: you decide your own hours
Cons: 30 minute lunches
Although I enjoy my job the direction I am going and the direction the agency are going are in two different locations. I struggle to understand or develop a working relationship with management. There is never a clear set of rules and regulations that are not individually inforced. A set of employees are given direction and the other set of employees – more... are given a different set of directions. No leadership skills or knowledge of unity. Management never keeps employees informed of policy that could affect them. Management are daily behind close doors making it difficult for employees to communicate with them or the public. I have been under two different set of managers and before family gathers were regular and the importance of the office being united was important. As a whole the job it self is wonderful. I have been able to meet people and help the best way I can. The true reason I encourage you really think long and hard about employment with the government are the possibility of a government shut down (meaning you might not be paid but expected to work) and the management being unreal or unjust. – less
Productive and fun place to work we had sports competition with other offices as well as cook off competition for those who love to cook.
Claims Representative (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 17, 2013
I took five applications a day for either retirement, disability, survivors, spouses, childs, or ssi, benefits a day, then it would be time to sign out for the day.

I learned that helping other with there problems feels great.

Management was great they let you do your job and was always available for any questions.

Hardest part of the day is staying – more... awake.

Co-workers enjoyed the job as the days went by fast.

We all enjoyed the fact that by the time we did our 5 appointments it was time to go. – less
good job
Lead Record Analyst Clerk (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYOctober 15, 2013
Pros: flex-time
Cons: no cons
good benefits. Lots of titles to advance. close to home. Flex-time for all employees.

About Social Security Administration

These guys have your number. Or at least you better hope they do. The Social Security Administration (SSA) pays retirement, disability, – Read more