Social Security Administration Employee Reviews

Ssa
Social Insurance Specialist/ Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Rutland, VTAugust 4, 2017
A strong emphasis on numbers production instead of people. Clients are more important that employees. Management did not foster an environment of trust.
Pros
salary
Cons
management
Social Security Administration
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 3, 2017
Great STEP Program. Wish I had applyied within after graduating from college. It was a great experience that I would do all over if I could. Great people to work with as well.
They have a very stressful workplace
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pine Bluff, ARAugust 3, 2017
The work is stressful because they micromanage everyone. The workloads are outrageous and there are never enough employees to conduct the workload. You can not just do your job and go home, everything is a TEAM which sucks
Pros
flexiable with taking off
Cons
short lunch, breaks, and micromanage
Decent Place
Bilingual Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 2, 2017
Working for SSA is a good experience, but when you have people that make your time not very enjoyable and stressful, then it makes the day last really long. When a team works together, things get done, otherwise there is a tension in the air.
Case Manager
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 1, 2017
Managed a caseload for social security disability, wrote a residual functional capacity, made medical recommendations, contacted hospitals and doctors to find out about cases.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Case overload
awesome place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXJuly 31, 2017
If you enjoy helping people, this is a great place to work. The agency pays well and it has great benefits. New employees make a career out of it. The best agency in federal government.
Not bad
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 29, 2017
Didn't work there long to make a proper assessment. During the short period of time I was there, it wasn't bad. You get to help people. Good place to work for long haul.
very easy going with everyone at that job
Mail-File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 28, 2017
i left this job was because my job temp is over. i d like to work as a permanent job working at the social security Adm in Baltimore, Maryland. Either in Woodlawn, since it very closer to where i reside at. my goal is to working with the social security Adm again if any jobs available for me. i d like to work what i experienced either can working in many different fields since i am open to anything that keep me motivation at the job
Pros
great teamworks
Cons
temp job
I learn a lot daily about the industry and myself
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 27, 2017
Since I have worked at the Social Security Administraton I have learned a wealth of information about the industry and the woman I've evolved to be. I have worked in two different regions with SSA but I have found although the region changed but the program fails to deviate. Like any office there are office practices and procedures done slightly different, but I generally have learned while in Rome to live like the Romans.
Pros
Was able to use my military credits towards retirement
Cons
short breaks
Great Opportunity to Recent Grads
Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDJuly 25, 2017
SSA is a great place to get your foot in the door of a government facility. They provide great benefits and flexible work schedules. I drive 2+ hours one way to get to work because I see so much potential here. At the headquarters office in Woodlawn, they have a gym, cafeteria, and bank. Pretty much everything you need in a day. They used to have a post office, but that closed.
Pros
Gym, Bank, Cafeteria, Advancement, Lots of Leave
Fast paced environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 24, 2017
High stress with lack of recognition. Management is concerned with metrics not customer service. Limited ability to actually assist the public in many situations-escalation is required.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Management is not very good-lack of promotional opportunities
federal job with growth
Legal Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 24, 2017
This job is a gateway to movement upward towards management and understanding of this trusted Federal agencies. Telework, flex-time, and generous time and benefits.
Pros
Flex-time, telework, ability to grow professionally
Cons
No offices available
We honored each other.
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn NYJuly 19, 2017
Whenever a coworker, needed help or some Special event we were always there or available. We stuck together and helped each other to better serve the public.
Pros
Vacation time, appreciation through awards, great benefits.
Cons
Stressful. Constant downsizing without replacement. Job requirements more than trippled.
Typical Government work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJuly 18, 2017
Working for the public can be gratifying if that is what you want to do, if not this isn't a job for you. I worked at a Field Office that was opened to the public Monday thru Friday from 9-4. You can arrive as early as 7 and stay as late as 530 pm.

As a tried and trued Military Leader, my biggest complaint was a lack of qualified Manager's. This may not be the case with all office's but it was at the office I worked at.

The best way to move up is to make sure you are able to move, a lot of small offices will never have openings because the office and those individuals are cemented there permanently.
Benefits
Cons
Leadership
Good place for attorneys
Assistant Regional Counsel (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2017
Excellent place for women or people with commitments outside of work. Excellent benefits. SSA prides themselves on a worklife balance for employees and delivers on the promise. I enjoyed my time there.
fun
Debt Contact Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 8, 2017
Great environment wonderful people. Family vibe, terrific manager employee relationships. Freedom and vacation time. But hard to get promotions and rise through the ranks.
benefits
Cons
short breaks
frustrating at time
LAN Administrator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 7, 2017
Management is not technical which causes some frustration. If you are a good worker they usually block or try to prevent you from leaving. Is a little unfair to women and people of color
Program Expert (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 4, 2017
SSA is consistently ranked among the best places to work in the federal government - for good reason. It's a great place to work with outstanding people. There are many different occupations within the agency that cover a wide range of skill sets. You'd be hard pressed not to find a place here.

I work with talented, likable people, who are more than just co-workers, they are friends. It's easy to find people who share your interest and make the days enjoyable so that work doesn't always seem so much like work.

If you get the chance, I highly recommend you check out SSA!
Pros
Well paying, great benefits, multi-faceted, fast paced, evolving
Cons
You could end up with a bad manager, every place has those
hated this place
SSI Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXJune 30, 2017
I hated this place. Co-workers were rude and mean--literally made claimants cry and laughed about it. Training was poor and you were expected to know stuff you were never trained on. Lots of inappropriate harrassment from other emplyees.
Pros
good pay
Cons
harrassment and mean co-workers
Not a bad place
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJune 28, 2017
I liked working here because the people that I worked and trained with were really wonderful people. The only problem I see with working here is there is no real way of doing business.