Social Security Administration

Social Security Administration Employer Reviews

What I do.
Branch Chief (Current Employee), Windsor Mills, MarylandOctober 13, 2013
Pros: public trust
Cons: the legislative budget process
I supervise a group of professionals who work hard at their respective positions so I work hard at ensuring they have all the necessary tools to get their jobs done. When I arrive on a typical day I (1) check our management information system (MIS) to see and update our productivity. Next since we are a part of a division within my agency I check the – more... MIS for the division comparing our contribution to our division goals compared to the branches within the divisions.

I then review my email to keep abreast with possible instructions such as policy changes, personnel needs, organization needs, and other correspondence. Once those who work with me report for duty I normally greet them by visiting their respective cubicles and if necessary address any needs that arise during this short visit. As the day progresses I meet with the Division Director and the branch chiefs informally where we discuss issues we collectively have arise day-to-day. At this time I take it upon myself to give the Division Director a report which tells him where all the branches in the division stands compared to our monthly assigned goal.

As needed, I also perform various tasks within the branch that need to be done because of not having the proper staffing to accomplish those tasks.

On atypical days I also process the needs of one of the other branches within the division if that Branch Chief is out of the office.

Typically, on either Friday or Saturday I compile our productivity statistics and notify the members of our branch, the Division Director, as well as the Division Chief Administrative Appeals Judge where we stand with respect to our monthly goal.

I learn something new each day that allows me to continue learning and other than the interactions that I have with my staff members staff this the best part of the job.

The hardest part of my job is to pass on bad news. For instance, two weeks ago I had to tell them all the we were being furloughed due to the partial government shutdown. – less
Project Manager, Arch. Eng. Tech, CAD Manage,COR (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDOctober 6, 2013
Pros: excellent working environment
Cons: morning commute
Productive working environment. Work with General Services Administration and many large Contractors. very productive environment in Building Services and Building Management.
An interesting place to work
Lead Case Technician (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKOctober 6, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits, flexible working hours
Cons: dependent upon government to approve yearly budget in order to keep working
A typical day at work involves answering telephones, customer service, drafting correspondence, reviewing job performance of junior personnel. I have learned the entire process of applying for Social Security disability benefits, case preparation, and the rules and regulations that govern the Social Security Disability program. For the most part I have – more... had good coworkers who are dedicated to the mission of the Social Security Administration. The hardest part of this job is trying to explain to applicants why the process of applying for disability benefits takes so long and that there is nothing I can do to speed up the process no matter how dire their circumstances are. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to tell an applicant that they have been approved for disability benefits. – less
Family
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDOctober 5, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: lunch breaks are to short
This is a great place to work for someone right out of school, if you like people and don't care about long hours this is the place for you.
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOSeptember 26, 2013
Good management and co-workers. Excellent benefits. Most enjoyable part of job was helping customers.
Can't work 40 hours anymore.
Retired (Former Employee), Columbus, OHSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: working if i want to.
Cons: not enough money.
I enjoy my Retirement, I just want something part time. I like being Retired, it's a great program.
Great Management/Leadership Training
Company Administrator U.S. Marine Corps (Former Employee), Camp Lejeune, North CarolinaSeptember 20, 2013
Pros: free physical fitness training
Cons: less time with family
My typical day was getting up at 4 a.m. and sometimes not going home until 9 p.m. or later. I have learned to be open minded when it comes to management and leadership, because of the leaders that were interchanging. The hardest part was not having enough time to spend with my family, although I knew the importance of the cause, as did my family. Even – more... though my family doesn't admit to it, I did have to put them on the back burner. Being a veteran now, it is deffinately difficult to catch up on what I have missed. I miss being in the Marine Corps and wish I could have stayed, but due to the cut backs, this was not possible – less
my is career
Teleservice Representative (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2013
I love working with the public,I love to learned different task keep me strong my career..Management was wonderful and was well together on work task......My co workers was beautiful on worker with I love people.......My hardest part of the job is none...........My most enjoyable part of the job is dealer with people....................
Average workplace
Claims Representative (Former Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 18, 2013
Cons: extreme wwork load per person
Management lacks compassion for employees and treats them like they are just dogs. They should allow employees to just do their jobs and have less managerial stress on their employees.
Fast-paced customer service driven environment with heavy emphasis on policy and problem solving.
Social Insurance Specialist (Current Employee), Marietta, GASeptember 17, 2013
Pros: problem solving, generous leave policy
Cons: little to no emphasis on creativity, automony, individualtiy
This is an incredibly complex position with infinite variables, and the challenges it poses is commensurate with your personal motivation to learn, probe, and investigate. The most satisfying part of this position is being to evaluate each client's situation, identify the most advantageous solution, and explain in a way that makes sense.
Great Place to work
Intern (Former Employee), Coeur d'Alene, IDSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: ability to work credit hours, flexible scheduling, great pay
Cons: promotion not always based on hard work
This M-F customer service job with Federal government offers great pay, flexible scheduling (7am-9am flex start time each day), great benefits, great retirement and a wonderful daily work environment helping people.
very professional
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), baltimore mdSeptember 4, 2013
Best job ive ever held i wish i could return i had weekends and holidays off and still had time for family fun
rewarding work
Quality Assurance Specialist, GS (Former Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: good job
Cons: volume
assisted customers all day with claims learned to be patient with all types of people; co workers were a joy to work with. hardest part was when had to deny claim, most enjoyable was assisting customers
Team leader for Mental Health Community Support team.
Senior Community Support Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 31, 2013
- I provided daily community support to a caseload of 18 mental health adults ages 18+ some who were veterans and some with co-occurring disorders one consumer was able to get an apartment and job and maintain for over three years, assisted with completing Individual Recovery Plan (IRP) and monthly progress notes, assisted 30% of my consumers with successfully – more... getting Medicaid, Social Security, and Public Benefits, coordinating events for consumers such as trips out of town to with 10% participation, consumer intakes, daily crisis intervention, assisting consumers manage their budget, outreach services to locate clients, I am able to work under stress, and I am a self-starter, started and managed the birthday club fund as a moral builder in our team for 2 years.
- Paperwork responsibilities in a 24 hours turnaround, training new staff with a success rate of 6 of 8 staff currently employed in the agency, I empowered consumers to complete long term ADL skills such as bathing and taking care of health needs with a 5% success rate, provided medication management, building relapse and crisis prevention skills, assist with gaining employment and rehabilitation skills, building social skills and supports, mental health education, Medicaid billing, monthly housing inspections, , and following the housing regulations and guidelines of DC. I had the social and teamwork skills to work in a team of 10 Community Support Specialist, working with clinical managers/Anchor staff, families, and representative staff in the community adequately. – less
Great co-workers and wonderful Administrative Law Judges
Legal Assistant (OA) CT (Former Employee), Greenville, SCAugust 26, 2013
Pros: flexible work hours and great benefits.
Cons: frustration with other ssa offices and their lack of quality work.
I worked with some great people. Our mission was to serve the public to the best of our ability and we strived every year to improve our service. It was very satisfying to know that I was personally making a difference every day for every claimant.
Productive and very rewarding
Claims Authorizer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: poor management and supervision
I had the honor to work in an Internship as a Claims Authorizer in the Chicago Corporate offices.

Management is very poor and has issues updating its systems to welcome new interns.
Nice place to work...
Contact Representative (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYAugust 19, 2013
Pros: co-workers, work environment.
Nice place to work, great co-workers, professional managers.
Solid organization with good mission
Budget Analyst (Current Employee), Woodlawn, MDAugust 17, 2013
Pros: excellent compensation, good work life balance
I learned about the federal budget system, how to budget for salaries and benefits, and how my job as a budget analyst affected the entire agency.

The hardest part of my job was ensuring that my counterparts understood the severity of sequestration and how that relates to their expenses.
GOOD PLACE TO WORK
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDAugust 9, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: lazy employees
Learned much about Disability Insurance Program, Management was diverse. Many coworkers did not put forth much effort. Hardest part of job was atmosphere.

Helping disables was best part of job
good palce to work
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 8, 2013
not much to say. work twice as hard as any other job i have ever had.

About Social Security Administration

These guys have your number. Or at least you better hope they do. The Social Security Administration (SSA) pays retirement, disability, – Read more