Social Security Administration

Social Security Administration Employer Reviews

At the time I had come from a very busy hospital environment and I found the environment at the Social Security Administration to be boring
Personnel staffing Specialist (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYJuly 13, 2013
Pros: relatively close to where i lived
Cons: it was not challenging enough for me compared to the other jobs i had held
My job consisted mostly of input and searching data re job openings on the computer.
What I learned was that working for the Federal Government had many advantages but that it required an adjustment from non-profit and private industry which is where most of my experience was at the time.
My co-workers were very nice and supportive
The hardest part – more... was adjusting to the requirement of the specific job as it was more paper intensive that I had expected
The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was less hectic than my previous jobs. – less
Horrible place to work
Benefit Authorizer Trainee (Former Employee), Richmond, CAJuly 12, 2013
Cons: low pay and unrealistic expectations
I was a benefit authorized. Their method of testing was whack. I had passed the acwa exam. They would test for one hour each week not on the present material but what you covered the week before. My coworkers were horrible. Management worked against you. In a word horrible.
Interesting and A-typical
Verbatim Hearing Reporter (VI-IR) (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCJuly 10, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: unpredictable schedule
As a contractor for SSA ODAR my position of Verbatim Hearing Reporter (VHR) is always interesting and fast-paced.
On a typical day I hold on average 6 hearings in a 4 hour time slot.
I've learned many different medical and legal terms and have learned about Social Security Disability and the legal process behind it.
I am a contractor and therefore do – more... not have "management", I do however have about 15 different judges that I work with as well as about 10 Vocational Experts.
The most difficult part of my job is not being able to control who shows up for their hearings and not having control of time management.
The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the faces of people that really need help actually get the help they need. I appreciate so much watching someone who's entire life literally hangs in the balance of one decision, hug the judge for awarding benefits. That to me, is the most emotional and rewarding feeling. – less
Worst job experience I've ever had.
Assistant (Former Employee), Burlington, VTJuly 9, 2013
All the rumors about lazy, inept workers in the government are TRUE!!!!

Worst and most unprofessional work environment I've ever had the displeasure of working in. Would not reccommend it to a dog!!!
Dedicated staff that really cares for the clients
Intern (Former Employee), Early, TXJuly 8, 2013
Not just another office job. The staff strives hard to provide for their clients and get them the benefits they deserve.
Productive workplace
Teleservice Representative (Former Employee), Salinas, CAJuly 3, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: bad management
As a Teleservice Representative my job was to answer phones from the time I got to work until time is was time to go home. On the job I assited people with anything from requesting a duplicate social security number to filling for benefits. The helping other was the best part of the job. In my opinion management was all about meeting good numbers instead – more... of providing good quality service to any caller. The way I learner is to help the best you can, to provide as full service not a half service. My co-workers were all great. – less
Good Job Security
Benefit Enrollment Technician (Former Employee), Woodlawn, MDJuly 2, 2013
Pros: job security
I learned about the Federal government. I learned about the disability insurance and medical terminology. I enjoyed the fact that they offered Flextime.
Productive Worklplace
Claims Representative (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 1, 2013
Pros: stabililty
Cons: internal promotion
Interchanging agency that is in constant transition with technological, public, law, and agency demands. Atmosphere varied from baby boomers to current generation, making learning transitions quite arduous given necessary tasks and trainings.
Autonomy
Legal Assistant (Former Employee), MartiniqueJune 22, 2013
It was hard but at the same time I gained a great experience because I had to be autonomic, my boss was really busy so could not take care of me properly. I gained a lot of autonomy by this experience. The co-workers were nice they helped me a lot to.
I would process disability claims on a daily basis.
Senior Disability Examiner (Current Employee), Madison, MSJune 12, 2013
I would process disability claims on a daily basis. I would make calls to claimant's, discuss their cases and what had to be done in order to make a decision, whether it be favorable or not. I learned alot about different health conditions, medical terminology, and about different types of medicines. The hardest part of the job was having to deny claims – more... of the elderly, and the most enjoyable part was helping others that couldn't afford healthcare. – less
N/A
LEGAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee), FALLS CHURCH, VAJune 7, 2013
I LOVED THIS JOB!!!!!! MANAGEMENT WAS GREAT. LOVED WORKING WITH MY COWORKERS WHO TAUGHT ME ALOT.
Internship
Paralegal Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 3, 2013
Pros: experience
Cons: stressful
Very good experience. Wish it could have lead to a job. worked with paralegals mostly. They were very informative.
Typical Government Work
Service Representative (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UtahMay 31, 2013
You meet lots of weirdos, and you find that the Bureaucracy gets in the way of helping people and mainly hurts those who try and do the right thing. The work can be satisfying and the people you work with are usually great people.
Stressful Workplace but Good Job Security
Legal Administrative Specialist (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 23, 2013
Pros: lots of personal and sick leave as well as federal holidays
Cons: the work site, the heavy work load and the workplace environment
The job entails processing between 12 to 15 disability cases per day and making payment determinations for the beneficiary and his/her dependents. I have learned about Title II of the Social Security Act which is The Disability and Survivor's Benefits Program. My co-workers are not that friendly making the environment sometimes unpleasant. The hardest – more... part of the job is adjusting to the constant changes in the policies and regulations that are used to make the correct payment determinations. I enjoy getting my paycheck every two weeks and the ten Federal holidays along with the 20 days of paid annual leave. The management is okay and my supervisor is easy to talk with if I have a problem. – less
Overall good
SharePoint Admin (Former Employee), Woodlawn, MDMay 20, 2013
I spent about two year at SSA. I go to work around 9 am and do 8 hours everyday. I had fun and left the work because of the better opporutunity.
Extreme team work
Community/Principal Service Aide (Case Management) (Current Employee), Rockville, MDMay 16, 2013
Pros: fun lunch room
Cons: discontinured raises
Atypical day at work is fast paced, customer services is a MUST. Deadlines are met, very busy case loads
Busy atmosphere servicing the public
Contact Representative (Service Representative) (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMay 16, 2013
Great atmosphere to work in, but high volume of clients/customers. Team involvement and ability to work well with others is essential to having a productive and enjoyable work life.
Good Company to work for.
Claims Representative (Current Employee), Batavia, OHMay 13, 2013
Pros: job security, constant pay
Cons: we are doing more with less. no hiring of empty positions
I am a claims rep
I take disability claims daily
I update Supplemental Security Income records to include, pay changes, living arrangement changes, bank account changes, jobs/income changes, child support changes, resources updates
I have contact with the public either in person or over the phone daily
I answer phones, take walk-ins, handle computer – more... problems, submit appeals, medical redeterminations, administrative reconsiderations – less
I enjoyed the opportunity to help others in need.
Contact Service Representative (Former Employee), Barstow CaliforniaMay 12, 2013
Pros: helping thoses in need, when its needed
Cons: short lunch, training need slow to come
daily respond to issues concerning public about benefits or entitlements. processing request for cards or pending appointments. research system daily for policy changes and request from other agencies as well as customers.
Social Security
Service Representative (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMay 7, 2013
Pros: great employees, management always willing to help out
Cons: no cons
While working for the Social Security Administration it helped you to understand why you should try to set aside a retirement fund. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people to get there problems settled and have the leaving with a smile.

About Social Security Administration

These guys have your number. Or at least you better hope they do. The Social Security Administration (SSA) pays retirement, disability, – Read more