Social Security Administration Employee Reviews in United States

Great agency for family oriented employees
Inventory Management Specialist, GS (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21235June 14, 2016
I would say that SSA is one of the best federal agencies for family oriented employees where you can benefit from flexible work schedule to provide the best work-life balance for your family!
Social Security has been there for me..
SSDI (Current Employee) –  Needles, CAMay 6, 2016
...but I think it's time for me to try and go back to work. When I went onto disability, I weighed almost 300 pounds, suffered terrible back problems, Now, I've had a gastric bypass and weigh 112. I really need to get out of this house.
Benefits
Cons
Not knowing what day it is
Well balanced people and interpersonal environment
Computer Assistant/Hearing Office Systems Admin (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 8, 2016
Supported office staff in computer techniques, maintained office server, supported remote sites, and assisted office manager in daily activities.
Very organized place to work with Great staff
Personal Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 4, 2016
I learned something new everyday at this job. I enjoyed working at the Social Security Administration. All my Co-Workers and Supervisors were very friendly and always helping in desperate situations.
Pros
Knowledgement
Cons
The Comute
Its the Government
Claims Authorizer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 10, 2015
Depending on who your supervisor is, the place is good to work for- good benefits, flexibility, and everyone is held to the same standards.
Pros
benefits, compensation, flexible schedule
Retirement
Lead Events Specialist@Wal (Former Employee) –  residenceFebruary 19, 2016
Drawing Social security retirement since 2008. I must work part time to supplement my retirement income. I have do notary signing agent work in 2005 & 2006. Quit because expenses were greater that the income.
Great Place to Work if you dont have a family to feed and debt to pay back
Inquiry Technician/Admin IV (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 9, 2014
If you are able to take a lower pay rate and stick it out several years to advance. This is the dream job for you. You will get benefits at $0. You can go back to school at nights and weekends. You don't have to worry about dressing up, very lax and laid back atmosphere. Lots of training and opportunity...just at a slow rate. Many are retire rehires and you will be just waiting for them to leave to get the jobs that are within agency. Management is a out-dated and does not think outside of the box. very old fashioned. No talking, no cell phone, no surfing web. you get breaks and a 30 min lunch.
Pros
benefits and pension to retire
Cons
low pay, no time for lunch, mgmt r dinosaurs
Job Security
Claims Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 28, 2015
Nothing like job security with the fed gov't. You can't lose with the flexible work schedules, the gov't benefits and retirement.
Great job for work/life balance
Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAMay 7, 2015
Great pay and benefits. Not many advancement opportunities. Great for work/life balance. Work culture is a bit stifling and the work is repetitious. Not a very challenging or fulfilling job.
pleasant work environment with amenities
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, PASeptember 28, 2014
Fast paced customer service employment administering Titles 2,16, and 19 of the Social Security Act. Maintained a pending of at least 250 clients. Learned how to multitask, meet deadlines and work alone or in group situations. Management was quite demanding and sometimes unfortunately had confrontations with employees. These incidents were usually resolved to mutual satisfaction. Wonderful interaction with coworkers. Hardest part of job was balancing work on case load with interview demands and special determinations according to agency and Federal law. Tremendous opportunity to develop customer service skills.
Pros
benefits, salaries
Cons
fast pace, and multitasking while maintaining case load, and servicing clientele with respect and dignity while under pressure
Excellent Place to work
Program Expert (Current Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDJuly 2, 2016
I love working for this agency. The salary is awesome and the benefits are good. There are a lot of opportunities for professional development and career advancement.
Mgmt changes not positive
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  MAApril 14, 2016
Was a great place to work until management changed. Flexible work schedule is nice (come in from 7-9). Overworked, understaffed, and can never keep up.
Pros
Flex time, benefits
Cons
micromanaging, understaffed, underappreciated
Professional setting
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 13, 2015
I worked directly with clients to process retirement and disability benefits.
I accurately communicated information in English and Spanish to ensure customer satisfaction.
I successfully handled customer service inquiries over the phone.
I provided superior customer care at all times by effectively managing time and maintaining an organized workspace.
Pros
a basis for advancement and work security
Cons
training
Social Security Office
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 24, 2014
I completed a particularly challenging assignments. Participate in a solution that improved customer service, enhanced efficiency, saved time and increased productivity. I receive an,award for completing many fraud reports.
A typical day at the Social Security office consist of 300 claimants and allot of patients and respect. Our day consist of claimants ranging in different ages from teenagers to adults to the elderly, from homeless to confused people who want to retire and can't. Hardest part of my job was denied benefits to people in need due to not qualified,low income and not enough work for disability or retirement. I enjoyed working as a team with my fellow co-worker they always were eager to assist me and teach me. I enjoyed my job.
Pros
i'm a great organizer, received praise, recognition and pats on the back from my supervisor and colleagues
Cons
filing was not my best straight but, it needed to be done
Of Regional Office of Quality Performance
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2015
Prior to coming to the federal component of Social Security Administration in Chicago, IL., I worked nearly eleven years adjudicating disability claimant for the State of Illinois. Subsequently, this prepared me for my experience directly working with SSA.

The work environment consisted of medical professionals that covered all disability body systems; a very skilled professional group of Social Security Specialist, and a team of supportive staff that handled distributing case folders and other clerical duties.

All components including management worked as a cohesive team ensuring our product was done in a efficient and quality manner. We were all well aware that we were working for the American people and how important social security was for them. And this was very motivating for the entire staff. We were inundated with work; however, we had ample overtime to meet those work demands. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with dedicated self-starters; agency potlucks for special occasions and holidays.
Pros
We received awards for our hard work at the end of the year.
Cons
I didn't have any complaints.
Claims Representative
Social Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CANovember 21, 2014
Processing Overpayment Waiver approval and denials
Process Disability, Retirement, Widows (ers), Survivors, and many other types of SSA benefit related application.
Process Representative Payee applications for those who need someone to manage payments.
Process Continuing Disability Reviews, Expedited Reinstatments as well as Work Reviews for those who are collecting and employed.
Expect frequent interruptions from public including phone calls.

Difficulty is dealing with bureaucracy, as some offices do one part of work, another office takes care of another.
Data screens can contradict one another, and misinformation to public is not uncommon.
Pros
healthcare, 401k, union representation
Cons
massively understaffed, limited overtime for deadlines, limited training on duties
Hostile Work Environment
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 6, 2015
Favoritism exhibited by upper management. unprofessional behavior of employees towards each other, high tension work environment, continual customer interactions.
Pros
Benefits, Retirement system
Cons
Hostile working environment
Secure job, Good benefits, Can be stressfull. Very busy office environment. Good customer service skills required.
Social Security Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Iselin, NJJanuary 28, 2014
Interviewing and adjudicating claims throughout the day. Explaining benefits and eligibility to the general public. learned good customer service skills. Management was fair. Set goals and expected productivity. Co workers were cooperative and at times worked in teams. The most difficult part of the job was at times dealing with belligerent,uncooperative individuals. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the general public. Explaining benefits and options. Completing applications. Benefits, compensation, and job security is excellent.
Pros
job security, benefits
Cons
can be stressfull at times.
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 15, 2016
Working helping people can be the most rewarding thing anyone can do for a living. I love my job but I am ready to relocate.
good job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 7, 2016
Working for SSA was a good job. The schedule was reasonable the call volume was always high. management was pretty good.

4.2