Social Security Administration

Social Security Administration Employee Reviews

Really great place to work
TX. Service Representative assisting the public (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJune 29, 2016
I was able to help people of the community in retirement benefits and medicare enrollment. It was trying at times when there were upset claimants, but to keep a professional face and try to fix the issue while keeping my cool is something that i pride on.
Excellent Workplace
Office Automation Clerk, GS (Former Employee) –  Arecibo, PRJune 27, 2016
My first work experience with the most professional team. I will always be gratitude to this opportunity, my school. I was able to help every type of public, from younger to the oldest. Excellent benefits package.
Pros
Experience & Public Relations
Cons
Contract Employment
Great benefits, weekends and holidays off, and good pay.
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJune 27, 2016
My current job is a legal assistant position. It involves data entry, but no real contact with the claimants. I feel it is a stress-free environment, with education opportunities.

The most discouraging part of my current job is that there is no upward movement. There used to be a next higher position for me to apply for, but they have taken this job away from lay-people, and have hired outside advisor-attorneys to come in. To move up now, I will have to branch out and do things other than what I have been trained to do, which involves me going back to school.
Pros
Weekends and Holidays off, paid vacation and snow days.
Cons
No upward movement
I worked here for 38 years.
Claims representative/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bloomsburg, PAJune 27, 2016
This was primarily my only job since I was in high school. I started in my senior year making $6.78 hr, and retired at $38.00 hr.

I loved my job. I only retired because I went through a divorce and needed a fresh start , so I moved cross country to Oregon from Pennsylvania.

I took retirement and disability claims. I met a lot of unique and personable clients.
Pros
The public
Cons
Workload vs. amount of workers
Retirement in 2010
Retired From Security Management (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJune 24, 2016
Retired and moved to Idaho to be with Family.
Learned to relax for awhile. Started fishing, traveling , and camping in the wild. Every day was different. Liked just relaxing and seeing the family. Drove back to AZ and got married to my best friend, been happy ever since.
Pros
Freedom of daily Management
Cons
Was getting bored with out the daily challenges
Busy environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Littleton, NHJune 23, 2016
I worked there for two years. During that time I learned how to take and manage retirement, disability, and survivors claims. When you think about each of these events they are generally not pleasant. My way of looking at life is attitude is everything and keep on smiling. I learned how to be empathetic and caring by working with the people I did, both clients and fellow employees. I enjoyed bring a smile to the face of my client simply by letting them talk to me and helping them to the next phase of their life.
Pros
Smiles all around!
Cons
Very, very busy.
Stable job, decent benefits
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJune 21, 2016
Wok with the public daily answering questions and processing claims. Generally have very good, dedicated co-workers. Management is not flexible.
Pros
Healthcare, TSP
Cons
Poor management; constantly being put down by elected officials
Wish they paid more!
Contact Representative (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 20, 2016
SSA is a great start. But, the pay isn't that well if you're a customer service rep (like me). You do get raises every year, which is fine, but I am looking for more (specifically out of state). Its not bad at all, but i need more.
Pros
Federal job, benefits, unexpected leaves
Cons
Lunch breaks, pay
Great office job with lots of training
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIJune 15, 2016
Amazing employer flexibility and employee relations.
Offices located all over the US with opportunity to move.
The training program was a cumbersome but effective.
Pros
pay, healthcare, location, training, upward mobility
Cons
Training, sedentary
Great agency for family oriented employees
Inventory Management Specialist, GS (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21235June 14, 2016
I would say that SSA is one of the best federal agencies for family oriented employees where you can benefit from flexible work schedule to provide the best work-life balance for your family!
Great place to work!
SSI Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Fresno County, CAJune 11, 2016
I have been working for the SSA for a little over a year and a half and it is a great agency to work for. If you are seeking a position in the Federal Government, The Social Security Administration is the best place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours, great people, minimum stress
Cons
pay starts low, even for veterans with a BA or MA degree.
Fast pace work environment
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDJune 9, 2016
This Social Security (MEGA SITE) was a good building block for me in advancing my career. Here I was taught how to handle patient information, drop fill, and re-fill confidential information.
Pros
I learned a lot
Cons
When the contract was up I was out of a job at this temp agency
Well balanced people and interpersonal environment
Computer Assistant/Hearing Office Systems Admin (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 8, 2016
Supported office staff in computer techniques, maintained office server, supported remote sites, and assisted office manager in daily activities.
Very generous benefit package for a very low stress level work
Pathway Internship Summer Hire (TEMP) (Former Employee) –  Daly City, CAJune 7, 2016
This federal agency allows its employees flexible working hours. They can starts their days early and get off early or late and get off late. The agency provides very generous benefits in sick leaves, holiday leaves, vacation time, retirement plan, job security, advancement, and acceptable paid.
Pros
job security, and other benefits
Cons
Salary per year
Claims Representative/SLC
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  OhioJune 7, 2016
I was hired in 2009. I have been on "cloud 9" since my first day of employment with this wonderful agency. I was stuck in a dead end job prior to working for SSA. My former dead end job really made me appreciate what I have. I also enjoy the challenge of the job. It's more than just a "job" it's a career. Since my employment I've accomplished a lot. I received my college degree as well as being promoted in 2012.
Pros
Salary, schedule, work environment
Cons
Short staffing
Work Environment and Training
Debtor Contact Representative - GS - 05 (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMay 21, 2016
Training is lengthy but does not have anything to do with the function assigned. The Training Staff is needs additional training. Managements expectations are well above the compensation given for this function.
Pros
Government Job
Cons
Work environment
Productive, and healthy enviorment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 18, 2016
I enjoyed with people, customer service, and helping to assist them in their needs. I learned what it takes to prove the birth, citizen ship, and how to generate social security number. My co-workers for very out going. The hardest part of my job was when the founds for expelled from the position.
Pros
Learning ner things
Cons
Temperary position
Great agency to work for
Temporary Hire (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VA 24401May 17, 2016
Customer service, great district manager and operations supervisor. Great working hours, great benefits.

I loved working there but I was hired as on a temp status and was not able to be converted to full- time.
Pros
great hours, benefits, and management.
Cons
no room for advancement for me.
Excellent stable employment
Teleservice Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 10, 2016
A typical day at work was easy once the job was learned. As a service representative I learned a lot about Social Security, such as their ends/outs dealing with the customers over the telephone as well as my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was speaking with irate customers who wanted to blame you by you being the first person that they spoke with although you may not have anything to do with the problem. The most enjoyable part of the job was when we had our parties regardless what or who it was for, we ate, talked to one another and had fun. Also, during the holidays we had extended time for lunch and could leave the building for at least one & a half hours.
Pros
Good benefits and stable employment
Cons
Must have degree to advance
Favorite
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXMay 9, 2016
This was my favorite job all the people was very nice and I learned a lot from them even though I was pregnant at the time they were very helpful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Social Security Administration. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2