Social Security Administration Employee Reviews

Ugh!
Disability Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 16, 2015
Beware, don't work for these ppl. They will make like for you unbearable! Please find another place to work. The managers suck, they examiners all suck. Don't do it.
It was a very fun place to work.
Tele-Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 15, 2015
I enjoyed working for SS. Their management style was very supportive and encouraging. The people were very friendly and it was like family. The training was very detailed and we worked as a team.
Pros
safety
Cons
parking
Slow Pace with diverse workload
Intern (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ArkansasJuly 14, 2015
Go to work around 9am and usually get out around 4pm depending on how much work there is to be done. Depending on who has a job for me is whom I would typically work for the rest of the day or until duties are finished. Management is amazing and never express themselves as superior to me, but instead allow me to assist them as they assist me. The same goes to my co-workers as well. They all allowed me to do my job the way I wanted the job to be done. At the same time getting what they need out of a job as well. All duties that I ever got to do were all enjoyable and there was nothing about the job that was ever challenging.
Pros
free lunches, Meet new people/connections, job experience
Cons
n/a
Senior Case Technician (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 14, 2015
This has been a great eye opener. I have spent my time here being greatly organized and having the abilities to task prioritize and handle heavy cases. Working with the public and others are a fantastic way to work.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Government Agency
Reader Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego CaJuly 13, 2015
I have been with Social Security Administration for over 5 years, and it is a great place to work, however I am in a position that makes it difficult to advance and is not very challenging. I want to work to my full potential, and I feel I am being held back. I want to do more in my day to day work and strive to advance.
Demanding due to customer service hours; Great co-workers
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 11, 2015
The job is demanding. The hours for customer service creates hurdles leaving minimal time to work on cases. Co-workers are the best part of the job. They create a fun and inviting working environment.
Its the Government
Claims Authorizer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 10, 2015
Depending on who your supervisor is, the place is good to work for- good benefits, flexibility, and everyone is held to the same standards.
Pros
benefits, compensation, flexible schedule
Hopefully you don't get the Chicago location
Technical Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2015
Not the greatest place to work. Co-workers have horrible attitudes. Not what I expected at all. Wouldn't recommend this location to anyone
productive
Teleservice Center Contact Representative (GS-07) (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, OHJuly 8, 2015
I daily answered public questions about SSA policy and Law. I have 24 months experience regarding SSA regulations, policies and procudes applicable to each type of benefit payable. I responded to questions involving complex SSA entitlement and post entitlement issues. I have a comprehensive knowledge of SSA title II and Title IVX programs. I worked with OHA and the state Disability Determinations service to answer clients inquires. I had a through knowledge of the local medical services and facilitilies and the operation of Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance .I worked daily with disability and insurance issues. I daily handled customer calls from routine to complex. I directed the most complex issues forward or resolved them as directed. My daily job involved a high amount of stress on two ends. I was responsible for making the customer happy and still had to have the technical knowledge to explain their issue. I worked daily under deadlines and customer deadlines; many customers wanted their checks even when they did not meet program requirements. I submitted beneficiary reports and forms including information and evidence needed for reports, claims, forms and earning records. I investigated earnings discrepancies and submitted reports to higher echelons. I worked daily with hospitals, banks and community agencies. I am Public meet and deal skills certified
Great place to work. Great benefits.
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 8, 2015
Adjudicated claims for Retirement, Disability, Survivors, Supplemental Security Income and Medicare Health Insurance Programs. Made input changes of entitlements. Retired in 2004.
Pros
Management and employee like family.
Cons
Very demanding and stressful
Fun proffessional environment
Senior Case Technician (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNJuly 7, 2015
Typical office job with high production and customer service focus. Working up cases and working with ALJ's to schedule hearings and focus on the customer from start to finish.
Job Security
Claims Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 28, 2015
Nothing like job security with the fed gov't. You can't lose with the flexible work schedules, the gov't benefits and retirement.
SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, PAJune 16, 2015
IT WAS VERY NICE TO WORK FOR THE SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION.THEY TREATED YOU LIKE A PERSON AND NOT LIKE A NUMBER, YOU WERE TREATED LIKE FAMILY. MT AIRY TREATED YOU AS IF YOU WERE T5HE ONLY PERSON DOING THAT JOB AND IT ALL FELL ON YOU. DIFFERENT PEOPLE WERE TREATED DIFFERTLY THAN OTHERS tHIS IS WHY I WORKED THERE FOR32 YEARS UNTIL I RETIRED
Pros
NICE PEOPLE
Cons
LONG DRIVE
A great place to work!
Public Affairs Intern (Former Employee) –  Upper Darby, PAJune 16, 2015
I absolutely loved my experience as an Intern for SSA--- the times were always felxible and the overlal learning experiences helped with my understanding of federal regualtions.
Pros
Time-- Flex
Strong Agency
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 14, 2015
A good place to accelerate your skills in policy, technology and people. This was a temporary position for me to potentially be a permanent position, but it did not come to pass. I wish I could have continued working for them because I made strong working relationships while I was there.
Great long term benefits
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 10, 2015
My experience here was great! Very well organized study programs for students. Diverse environment and well rounded, educated staff that offers support when you least expect it.
Enjoyed working at Social Security Administration
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 7, 2015
I learned how to schedule appointments for the whole office. Co-workers were easy to work with, everyone help assist each other, there was nothing hard about the work, my enjoyable part of the job was inputting/loading Hearing and Reconsiderations into the system.
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 5, 2015
Enjoyed helping the public. Great place to work. To know each day that you had made a positive impact on someone's life was a very rewarding feeling.
Pros
Cons
Not enough employees to serve the public
working for the government
Computer Operator II (Current Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDMay 30, 2015
working for the government is a secure job, but very few opportunities to advance. the benefits are great. the work environment can be confusing sometimes. it chnages constantly
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 29, 2015
Once a new hire is scheduled for orientation, i was responsible for fingerprinting them and running thier background check and reporting the results to the hiring manager.