Social Services Employee Reviews in United States

Dept of Human Services, Children, Adults & Families
Administrative Assistant/Accountant (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 4, 2013
Being assistant to a Program Mgr required great knowledge of the programs within the Company. However, this required knowledge of the law since this was a Government Agency. I had approx 10 employees under me that I took care of per-diem when they traveled and made sure that they got to the trainings they needed to go to in order to do their job within the guidelines of the law & knowledge of the law.
I learned independence. The Mgr was out of the office most of the time, which left me in charge of the office and in charge of all incoming calls going to her. Some of these calls required making decisions that were quite important decisions regarding the Director and often the Governor of the State of Oregon. I did not like that I had so many responsibilities and yet did not get recognized for the outcome of them. The Mgr would always be the one who would be getting the "Job well done", even though it had been me who wrote up the proposal or sat in on a meeting that was one she should have been sitting in on.
The hardest part of the job was knowing that my job security was there due to the abuse of children & families that were falling apart & sometimes homeless or domestic violence cases. Working so closely with this made me realize how good my life truly was & how blessed I was.
Anytime you are working with co-workers that are a small group of 10 or under, & working with such sad circumstances, it draws you closer as a group & eventually you become an "office family". Working at this job required that you do NOT tell anyone (including your spouse) ANY information (even if you
  more... leave out the names) on any cases that have happened. So, you find youself seeing children being brutalized, wives being beaten, pictures or in writing... it plays on your heart & soul. The only people you can discuss it with are the other people within your unit. The people who have become your "office family". So, you end up forming quite a strong bond with these people. That was one thing I enjoyed. Knowing you had people you could trust and talk to about anything that was bothering you, or they could come to you. We all had an "open door" policy. I believe that is the only way to work.
I had a multi-line telephone system & made sure that ALL of the employees within the DHS/CAF got to ALL the trainings they needed within the State of Oregon. My days would fly by since I was always so busy. I enjoyed staying busy & multi-tasking. I will "toot my own horn" and say that I am excellent at both! The hardest part of the job was when I created a database to take care of people signing theirselves up for training & my position was phased out.
I want to work. Not only for the money, but for the interaction with the people and with the fulfillment it gives me of accomplishment. I set out to do a task & always follow through until that task is completed. Multi-tasking all the way through. THIS is what I LOVE to do!
Pros
great benefits, good working enviornment, friendship w/ co-workers
Cons
being stuck in one position, because you do your job so well.
Fast Paced
Directors Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXApril 26, 2012
A typical day at work: Managing case work load, ensuring everyones case was resolved in the making, no person was turned away no matter on circumstances. Everyone was taken care of like a part of the Family everyone was met and greeted with a smile to ensure they knew they were safe with us.
I learned that to definately not judge a book by its cover, everyone out does need help no matter what kind. Making things personal sometimes does help.
The hardest part of the job was not getting too involved and having a heart sometimes you couldn't feel bad for someone you had to help some be strong for their own sake.
The most enjoyable part was seeing their faces and knowing I actually helped make a difference in someones life. It truly made me feel good.
Co-workers were just a part of my family we were are linked together.
Pros
free lunch
Productive workplace with great coworkers
Riversouth Rehabilitation Center, Counselor (Current Employee) –  Monroe, LAApril 10, 2012
Provide therapeutic treatment to children, young adults, and older adults. The coworkers that I work with coincide with one another and work together.
Great Learning Experience
Office Technician, County of Orange (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAApril 5, 2012
This company provides interaction with diverse cultures and contimually improves on processes to get better and provide quality information and services.
The goal is to re-unify parents and children.
Human Service Aide (Current Employee) –  Family Services/Child Protective ServicesMarch 7, 2012
Job stability with the goal of reunifyig children and parents.
Pros
family oriented, flexible schedule
Cons
promotional opportunities are scarce
offered flexible work schedule, company celebrations, training seminars
Case Manager/Work Services coordinator (Former Employee) –  Westerly, RIFebruary 6, 2012
COmpany and supervisors were committed and encouraged educational growth and job development.
Pros
company gatherings, supervisors sought employee input, decent benefits
Cons
low pay and dependent upon the state system

Want to know more about Social Services?

Ask a question