Society for Human Resource Management Employee Reviews

Horrible
Individual Contributor (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 20, 2018
Secretive management, bully bosses in multiple departments, long-term outstanding employees are fired or forced to quit, staff in some departments live in fear of being let go over minor or fabricated issues, very political. People can do very little work and move up the ladder if they are liked by their bosses, and others can work hard with little positive feedback or promotion. Management doesn't know how to manage employees, HR is worse than any place I've ever worked. SHRM doesn't walk the talk. What is recommended to members is not practiced. Job security is low. It's all about the money, not the members. Cube farm environment; very little upward mobility.
Pros
Close to Metro station and Starbucks
The most unprofessional workplace
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 15, 2018
Poor Management and favoritism
High school like behavior
No opportunities for growth/promotion
Don't appreciate the employees who go above and beyond
Customer Service Dept has high turn over rate and cant keep a full staff.
Iusb shrm chapter
Vice President (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJanuary 20, 2018
I was the Vice President of the SHRM Chapter at IUSB and worked very closely with the president and the other staff members of the then-growing club at IUSB.
enjoyed this club
Director of Social Media (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 15, 2018
i took part in this club while attending the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. I met great people and learned alot about networking to help advance my career
Member
Member (Former Employee) –  On campusJanuary 3, 2018
I liked how I got to experience a lot of different kinds of roles while being a member of this organization. Every week there would be a speaker come in and present a different area of human resources.
nice place to work
Member Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 18, 2017
I was able to attend a conference and many seminars however hard to apply what you have learned because I am in a department that is very routine. I would like to advance to another department
Pros
work life balance is great
Cons
hours / advancement
Not a Job...An organization
Student Membert (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 28, 2017
This is an organization. Does not need to be reviewed. It was mandatory to be a member in college. However, there is no reason to rate this organiztion on this websire.
Good benefits
Manager, Communications (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 31, 2017
Being in the HR arena, they take good care of their people. Performance based compensation bonuses are unusual in the non-profit arena. A defined benefit pension plan is also a plus.
Fun environment with a lot of benefits
Accounting/Collections Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 24, 2017
While I was there I was allowed to advance with ease. Salary is very competitive for this area. Commute into job can be problematic however worth it. Great place to work especially during conventions and staff meet and greet. Family atmosphere.
Good Work Environment
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 9, 2016
Excels at offering flexible work options. The benefits package is competitive and offers a lot of options for health insurance.
Great people and benefits!
Managment (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 15, 2016
Amazing team that really understands work/life balance. It's a great place that values a defined benefit plan and provides a rich benefits package. Strong mission driven organization.
very nice
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Universities at Shady GroveJanuary 28, 2016
love it, fun, professional, once in a life time experience. majority of our work is networking and spreading knowledge about Human resources and its benefits.
A very Insightful and Beneficial Organization to Join
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJanuary 5, 2016
Enroll at Sam Houston State University and I promise you will not regret joining such a prestigous organization including the wonderful Alumni that comes back to speak!
Wonderful Association
Meeting Planner (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 1, 2015
The Society for Human Resource Management was voted a great place to work because of its great people, benefit package and longevity of its employees.
Flexible while attending college
Member (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXOctober 12, 2015
I enjoy working and assisting customers. I worked in a friendly environment and everyone is treated with respect. There is always work to do, so stayed busy. Never a bored moment .
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
short term employment
Friendly, helpful and productive working environment. People work together to solve issues.
Network & Systems Operation Intern (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 1, 2015
A typical work day started with socializing with co-workers in the break room. I then checked the ticketing system for any issues that occurred between the time I had left the office the day prior and when I get into work that morning. These tickets most often took less than fifteen minutes so I would check in with my boss or others in the department if they needed assistance with anything. I made it known that if anyone in the department needed help with anything, I would be willing. The most enjoyable part of the job was not only making friends with many I had worked with but also shadowing people from the networking and help-desk sides of the I.T. department. I was able to really get a sense of what each person did on a day to day basis and see what I liked or where I would fit.
Pros
End up making friends with co-workers in and out of your department, almost never eat alone, if you can't figure something out others are 100% willing to help
Cons
Some days there was too much downtime, other days there was no downtime at all
Great benefits and Flexible Schedule offered
Marketing Retention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 9, 2015
Benefits offered:
Great insurance benefits
Vacation & sick leave
Flexible or compressed schedule
Competitive salary
Yoga, bootcamp, ice cream socials, teambuilding, holiday party, other perks.

I've learned a lot about all types of marketing from digital to print to social media in a lot of different areas of the company including seminars, conferences and retention.
Pros
Yoga, bootcamp, good salary
Cons
too much work, limited resources
Great work life balance but management was unprofessional and chose favorites
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 17, 2014
I loved most of the people I worked with unfortunately there was too much favoritism and cliques which effected work flow and the job atmosphere in the customer service department. Some of the management was unprofessional (late to meetings, late on finishing projects, often not in the office) and wasn't very willing to listen to suggestions on improving the work flow. Also several management positions were a revolving door which I think is a testament to the management team and the director. The director hired several people from her church who were afraid to speak up about different things in the office even if it was beneficial to the overall company/department in fear of their jobs. Also people didn't see a point to apply for the positions that did come available because they felt although the positions were open that management already had people in their mind who they would hire.
Pros
Telecommuting
Cons
Favoritism, cliques (church), lack of advancement
Great Organization
IT Project Manager /Sr. Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 10, 2014
The culture is one of the best around. Great people. Very professional.
n/a
Executive Assistant/Research Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 21, 2014
• Supports the VP of Research, Director of Competencies Director of Survey Programs, Manager Workforce Analytics, Manager Workplace Trends, and Manager Of Competencies.
• Organize travel schedules and book reservations
• Calendar Management
• Open and distribute incoming regular and electronic mail and other material and co-ordinate the flow of information internally and with other departments and organizations.