Sodexo Employee Reviews

Found 4,011 reviews matching the search
Shift Supervisor
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 27, 2016
The overall work day consist of keeping on duty staff tasked out. At the beginning of each work shift employees must be motivated and know their assigned duties for the day. Throughout the day health code is thoroughly enforced and each employee was monitored accordingly. Daily routine spot checks were done to ensure policy procedures are carried out properly. Each staff member will get praised for what they have done outstanding and coached up on the things that they need improvement on.
Pros
Very little manual labor and there is always opportunities to move up within the company.
Cons
Frequently short staffed and upper management struggles enforcing and protecting company policies.
Campus i work at sold us off to sodexo
Esa (Current Employee) –  KentuckyJanuary 18, 2017
My whole department at the college campus i work at got contracted out to sodexo. The benefits are to expensive, they are not flexible with anyones schedule at all. If you show up just ten minutes late thats a half a point against you and when you get seven points your fired. If you call out of work because your sick you get a full point even if you have time to cover it and a doctors note. The management don't care about any of us at all. They dont take our word on anything we tell them because somehow they know more than we do when they dont do the work we do in the buildings on a nightly basis.
Pros
None at all
Cons
Everything.
Awful
Lead line cook (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJJanuary 15, 2017
Being harassed by management for having 6 minutes of overtime. Unpaid some weeks, had to speak with the labor board to get my check. Was hired as full time but in an effort to cut costs they would lay myself & others off every Friday while Temps were brought in at a cheaper rate to do our work. In a span of a year I watched 9 people quit including the chef, sous Chef, catering manager, assistant general manager, payroll clerk & multiple cooks due to poor treatment & harassment from management. A cook I worked with was there 7 years & able to work any station, never complained or called out. He received a 1% raise for all his hard work. We were we could only eat certain food from the kitchen for lunch unless we paid for it, managers included. 2 weeks later the managers disregarded that rule for themselves & eating whatever they wanted for free but writing up the hourly employees for doing the same.
I wouldn't recommend anyone apply to sodexo, it was the absolute worst kitchen I've ever had the displeasure of working in.
Pros
No nights or weekends
Cons
Awful management team that dont believe in equality. Toxic work environment
Fun laid back place
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  New Wilmington, PADecember 18, 2016
Sodexo is a calm environment and is somewhere everyone feels comfortable working at while in college. A typical day at work is being assigned to where you'll serve food and usually I either serve the food line or I am the cashier. We serve up to 230 college kids a night from 5-7:30. The hardest part of the job is when a huge group comes in and you have to quickly get the food ready for them. Management is easy to talk to and do their jobs well. Co-workers are friends from college who are also doing school while working.
Pros
Free food after meals
Cons
No raises
Good company, poor managment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orange, CaAugust 29, 2016
Where should I begin.

The company offers good benefits and overall is a good company. Management, however, is poor. At least in the account in Orange, CA! Truly a nightmare, they drained you and don't care about their employees! There is a lot of politics of how things are run and a lot of selfish human beings!

Unless you are the GM there, expect to be treated less than what you are worth! I have so many stories and so many unlawful situations of which I stood quiet. Why?? Fear.

I gave them my best and I'm a smart individual who can bring out the best of me. Could not handle being there. Is not the company, it's the people who run this place who make it the worst experience ever. I witness so many people leave this place for the same reason I left it. THERE WAS NOT A SINGLE PERSON WHO SUPPORTED OR BELIEVED YOU!
Benefits
Cons
Managment
Opportunity for advancement
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 7, 2016
The job was demanding as I had to do general cleaning; maintenance work and assist the dining room worker with miscellaneous task. I was required before closing at 9:00 p.m. to wash several kitchen mats outside on the dock and bring them back inside the kitchen.

Sweeping and mopping throughout the restaurant was one of my main responsibilities.

Management was considerate and caring of me.

It is a large company and offers the opportunity for advancement or for another position.
Pros
I was given a pay raise after a period
Cons
The company does not follow up on us for opportunities
good job
COOK (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 24, 2016
I worked for this company 8 years ago. I hope that they improved their advancement program.
When I worked for this company there were hardly any advancement opportunities. I was a cook for almost 2 years and I did not received a promotion of any kind.
Management tries to keep personal but with any recognition for a hard work the turn around rate is high.Co-workers can be challenging to work with.
The hardest part of the job could be keeping up with the stations that need help do to the lack of employees.
Pros
not enough pay
Cons
good benefits
Great company
EVS Manager/Retail Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLAugust 28, 2016
Sodexo is a great career that offers many advancement opportunities if you are willing to relocate. The advancement opportunity decreases significantly if you wish to stay in one location. They offer competitive salaries to start, but the salary increases are not great. Health insurance is expensive but fair. Sodexo does a great job to retain management staff.
Pros
competitive salary
Cons
expensive insurance, less than desirable salary increases
Decent place to work
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDDecember 22, 2016
I've been worked at Sodexo for several months now, training has been great, and learning Sodexo systems is a little trying at times. I've found upper management all to willing to help out and answer questions and address concerns on the spot. As the In-Unit HR Manager, my day is filled with sorting through performance issues, recruiting, interviewing and onboarding. I definitely enjoy my job and working for Sodexo. One of the things which really attracted me to Sodexo was the policies and programs surrounding diversity and inclusion, opportunities for advancement abound, although you do have to pursue the opportunities which present themselves.
Pros
Fast pace, not a lot of down time, very interesting employees
Cons
There really aren't any cons, its a job, that pays my bills

Comment – January 16, 2017

I'm happy to hear you're enjoying your work so far and that you have found advancement opportunities and D&I programs to fit your needs. You're exactly right that it's up to employee initiative to pursue new opportunities as they arise. I hope that you will be able to find new roles and continue to grow with us. - Autumn A., Sodexo USA Careers Community Manager

Okay..
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHDecember 4, 2016
Very fast paced environment. Very low wages (minimum wage) and very low raises. It's good for full time students especially bc a lot of schools cafeterias are through Sodexo so most likely it'll be an on campus job. However, it's one of those where you work extremely too hard for an okay check every other week. Which is what most jobs will be like during high school and college.

Another thing is that if you go to school at the place, you won't get to eat as much bc you'll always be working during the time when the caf is open and you're not allowed to eat on the clock. So in the end you'll be paying thousands for your school's meal plan but not using it. Nothing much can be done about that though because they can't just let you eat whenever you want to lol. It's just a lose lose situation.
Pros
Can work around classes, extracurriculars
Cons
Low wages but hard work
Corporate Culture is not carried thru to local level
Operations/1st Shift Manager Env Services (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 4, 2016
Corporate Culture and development provides a great training process for new managers. However, the onboarding process is slow and poorly executed. The local management over-site has been poor and a hindrance to having a foundation of a successful management career.
Pros
Employment
Cons
Slow hiring process, poor communication, lack of management follow thru
Fast paced work environment
Manager II (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 6, 2017
Since becoming a manager with Sodexo, I have had a wealth of training knowledge provided to me. The culture of the company is to promote work place and lifestyle balances, the benefits are great, especially the dental insurance. The only downfall is this a contract based employment, so when your contract is up, you have to move on to find another client. But as long as the client is happy they will continue to renew. The other perk is that we are a world wide company so relocation is available too.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
stressful

Comment – January 9, 2017

Great feedback! I'm so happy to hear you've found sufficient training and good benefits. To address your point about contract services, you're correct that contracts do sometimes end, but fortunately we do have thousands of locations, so there are always additional opportunities, often nearby. I hope you continue to enjoy your role with Sodexo! - Autumn A., Sodexo USA Careers Community Manager

Productive on occasion
Food Prep/Cook (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INDecember 19, 2016
A typical day working for Sodexo at Holy Cross dinning hall was sometimes enjoyable. The business was poorly ran and the employees did what ever they wanted. If I was the manager at this particular site I would have changed a lot including firing half the staff including my manager. He would never order the right product and this would make every other employee struggle on a daily basis. I have my own part time landscaping business and I know what it takes to achieve high customer service, manage my time correctly so I can complete every task for that day. I also know how to sell a product and service.
Pros
Free food
Cons
no benefits, poor communication, poor management
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 14, 2016
Take a minute to review Sodexo.
Help people find a great job. It's easy and anonymous.
Rate this company*required
Overall rating*
T
Sodexo Management
Food Service Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 29, 2016
Sodexo has alot going for it in the area's of benefits. Health insurance is good and we have a 401K plan. Sodexo is literally everywhere in the U.S. so if I want to relocate to another area, there are alot of Sodexo contract sites available to transfer to. I have learned alot about the business being with them..However, the downside of Sodexo is that they don't really practice what they preach in all area's. Their big tag line is "Quality of Life" meaniing work life balance, which really isn't balanced. Food service is a tough business and Sodexo goes through alot of managers (check their website and you'll see alot of openings). When compared to other food service management companies, Sodexo is the better company and they are stabe.
Pros
Health insurance, 401K plan, jobs are plentiful and everywhere.
Cons
Work life balance, alot of managers who shouldn't be with company.
Very professional but no room for growth.
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJanuary 9, 2017
I worked various positions during my time at Sodexo depending on the season, starting as a grill cook, then a Starbucks barista, and then as custodian/bellhop during the summer. Certainly a perk of Sodexo is they were very flexible for when I wanted to change schedules or even jobs there, which I am very grateful, and to their credit they take learning proper sanitation and cooking very seriously with what they have. However, the mid-level and higher management in all areas I worked were generally cold and pretty cynical, with only a few supervisors being easy to work with. In addition, there did not seem to be much room for growth, as all the supervisors had a minimum of 5 years of work experience at the company. The hardest part of the job would most likely be the occasionally disgusting deep cleaning you must do, but this is similar to any food service industry I would imagine.
Pros
1 free meal per day, 401k benefits, professional.
Cons
Short breaks, thankless work, minimum wage with no opportunity for growth.
Great starting point- but...
Wait-Staff (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 17, 2017
The best thing was the bonds that I've made with my coworkers and managers here.
Biggest downfall was the pay raises to time ratio.
One of the more difficult part of the job was to maintain a constant certain work pace since we're only serving through short bursts of time period and it can become chaotic due to multiple causes.
It's a great place to learn if you're trying to become a great cook/chef since you do learn so many dishes that are constantly changing in our menu. As a server, not quite, since you don't make any tips what-so ever.
Pros
Free food, relaxing after you've gotten used to the environment.
Cons
N/A
No Training
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bethany, OKNovember 1, 2016
There was little to no training. Only a week to get me through the basis of the reporting software. Having to rely on phone contacts and not really understanding the lingo. New processes being implemented with little guidance leaves room for mistakes. Management thinks that it's your duty to learn when you don't have a clue what training is available or who to talk to.

I eventually learned the process and what to do about it. A few mistakes happen. My only allowed learning curve is up and now mistakes are considered detrimental. I owe it all to the lack of training.

A normal day starts with the normal meet and greet of co-workers. I turn on my computer and pull up the reporting software. I start my daily reporting. I prepare reports for the general manager. I order supplies. I reconcile last weeks primary report to the P&L. Any discrepancies are quickly counteracted in the weekly entries. Reconciling the A/Ps with the electronic vendor invoices.
Pros
Free food, good benefits, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Lack of training and turnover
Change is so needed, it is a dis-service to the patients if change does not occur.
Patient Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 16, 2017
There has been frequent change in management and employee moral is very low. Frequent discharges and also employees who have suddenly quit and unfortunately no one to replace them. Compensation for holidays is poor, you are paid regular time when working the holiday, and you can pick another day off, however its under certain guidelines and everyone does not get compensated.
Pros
love the patients and the overall concept of the job
Cons
Too Too many changes too frequently and no support.
Not a good place to work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 5, 2016
I worked for Sodexo for a year, and I couldn't wait to leave. Management is very unprofessional, and they had a habit of changing your schedule without informing you. We were always short staffed and because of that, it cut into our break times. Most times supervisors would not assist us if we ran out of food. We pretty much had to figure things out for ourselves. Not a day went by that employees weren't walking out because of the way they were being treated. Management expected us to work long hours and have added responsibilities with barely no pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sodexo. Our community is ready to answer.