Sodexo Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,597 reviews matching the search
Lack of advancement for quality individuals without college degree
Operations Manager II (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaFebruary 12, 2016
I have been with Sodexo for nearly 6 years and have always been a dedicated, hard working individual that has always received above expectations evaluations. The raises have never been more than 2% for my above expectations reviews. I have been an operations manager for going on 6 years without being promoted to GM. Before joining Sodexo I was a Director for 6 years. I feel I have been passed up on many positions I am qualified for due to lack of a college degree. The recruiters that are used are horrible and never actually select quality candidates to be interviewed for positions. You will also see people take on GM positions with no experience but because they have a piece of paper saying they are educated they receive a GM's position over a 12 year veteran in the business.
Pros
DM is great and cares about work/life balance
Cons
Raises, Lack of advancement if you do not have a college degree, poor recruiting
Not the place you wanna work.
Food Specialist (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJanuary 13, 2016
A typical day at work can be where ever they put you. You will get crossed trained if you push for it that is the best thing I can say about this job. They hugely play favorites. They don't pay you for what your worth. I have two college degrees and have been working there for 9.5 yrs and was being paid $8.03 and that was only after I let it slip my other job was paying me $8 hr. They didn't have enough people to run the place properly. They had one employee being paid about as much as I was and she was doing part of the bosses job with no change in title or offer of a raise. The management-well im just not going there. There has been five bosses since I started working there. If you have a problem you have to go about three people above the boss to get a problem rectified or threaten to take legal action. Some of the employees are great to work with. Im a hard worker so take that into consideration all who read this.
Culture is changing from a close family and friends to total corporate structure
General Manager II/Director (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 16, 2016
The culture has changed in the last 2 years to a more corporate focus and has pulled away from the family and friends type of environment we used to have.
Some very hostile individuals are controlling and destroying the culture.
Senior leaders are not proactive to correct the culture change and are seemingly allowing the bullying and hostile environment to grow.

The system offered if run by respectful leaders, is a quality program.
After 14 years I felt I had to leave in order to have quality of life.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Benefits are slowly falling off
Unprofessional; Unethical
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 28, 2016
I just resigned from Sodexo at American Family Insurance in Madison, Wisconsin.

After a year and a half of working with condescending, belittling and bullying managers I could not physically go to work anymore.

The management team, from the general manager down was the most unethical and unprofessional group of people I have ever worked with.

In my time of employment, 30-some employees started and quit due to the lack of communication, direction and general work conditions.

The information that the company posts about job descriptions and benefits is very misleading. i.e. sick time — it's offered at a rate of 1 hour for every 100 hours of service.

My advice, no matter how bad one needs a job, avoid Sodexo in Madison, Wisconsin.
Cons
Very little breaktimes for alot of time spent working and standing.
Grill Cook (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 1, 2016
The Breaks don't support the work load.Management is understaffed and only one supervisor is trying to do his best and help everyone and he is very helpful while the actual kitchen manager just watch you work hard and gives very little support which in a high volume work place is everything.This particular job cares very little for the conditions of the work place.Teamwork is not encouraged.You will leave this job dog tired.The "point system"is crazy because it doesn't apply to the manager.I've been with company for a month and four people have quit already.
Pros
pay isnt bad
Cons
they have created a very harsh work enviroment.
Great management, easy to advance
Starbucks Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 15, 2016
Working at Sodexo is great for college students. They really understand how to work around a student schedule. They consistently give you a raise yearly and the starting salary is good. They really help you advance within the position and you can generally pick up extra hours when you have the free time.

The only down side is that, since there are so many students working, there is a constant change of staff. It can be hard to learn how to do the different required jobs when you are new because no one else is very experienced either.
Pros
Free meals, annual raise, flexible schedule
Cons
Harder to find work during holidays, constant changing staff
Poor work/life balance - no job security
Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaNovember 22, 2015
Worked as a unit manager for two years and was laid off when the client terminated our contract half way through a five year contract. The clients only reason to terminate was to resume self management of the facility. I had always received fair reviews from the General Manager while I was employed there. Typical work week was 60 to 70 hours per week when the facility was busy, of course I was only paid for 40 of those hours. I did not have sufficient staff or budget to operate my department. Since I was released, I was invited to participate in their rehire program, and I have applied to be rehired for a number of similar positions in the company. To date, all of my applications have been turned down.
Pros
Free meals, decent benefits.
Cons
No job security. Very little personal time off.
Hard to believe
Storeroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  USMCB Camp Pendleton CaliforniaMarch 21, 2016
I worked for Sodexo for the better part of 12 years. They were awarded a USMC food service contract in 2002,lost it in 2009 and won it back by default due to fraud. If it wasn't for the fact that I was in a labor union with benefits I would have left a long time ago. The management is the worst and their employees are just a number to them. It's hard to believe they run food service on a military contract as f**cked as the management is.
Pros
Met a lot if great people and Marines
Cons
Had to pay for our own meals and no incentives at all.
An organization devoid of human interest
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INFebruary 24, 2016
As a student worker I was continually expected to pick up shifts and stay late on the job. The management was inadequate at doing their jobs which often led to confusion for base-level employees. Sodexo is an international corporation and so not every location is the same, but policy within the company requires prospective employees to sign away many different rights to be a part of the organization.
Pros
Interact with guests of the University that participated in different functions
Cons
short breaks, authoritative management, low quality benefits
Fun job, co workers not so much
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 8, 2016
Upper management at this location is terrible. GM has told so many untruths about he said/she said things that 1/3 of the staff has quit. It does no good to report to anyone higher than GM because they are ultimately responsible for their actions and it is swept under the rug rather than being resolved. In almost 7 years, I went from absolutely loving my job to being physically sick every morning going to work.
Pros
Good pay, vacation time
Cons
Lack of job security and honesty from upper management.
Great benefits. Bad work/life balance.
Environmental Services Manager II (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJanuary 26, 2016
As a manager for Environmental Services on 2nd shift, I only saw my family (awake) on the weekends. When hired I was told I would only have to work 8 hours a day with the occasional 10 hour day, but that some days we would be able to leave early, which would make up for it. This was far from the truth. 10+ hours a day 5 days a week. Benefits were outstanding. Sodexo being a socialist French company, they do go above and beyond to take care of their employees in a completely non-profitable way. Lots of training...lots of paperwork....all of which interfere with your ability to effectively manage your account.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
work/life balance
Accounts Payable / Payroll Clerk
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAMarch 24, 2016
Best job i could ask for 8 years with the company i have learned and grew so much. a day for me depends if i didn't have an empty bin the previous day. But Tuesday was always payroll day. processed time sheets updated systems and reviewed ADP print out. The rest of the week would be billing. or helping different people in the office out.
Pros
Bday lunches/ Flex Schedule / no need for supervison
Cons
less than 2% raise, non appreciative/ no recognition
Great company to work for.
Retail Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCFebruary 9, 2016
I was a college bookstore manager on a SC college campus. I bought and sold text books and retail merchandise. I learned a great deal about large corporations and working for one. Great co-workers and management. Great benefits. Hardest part of the job, college students could be difficult. The most enjoyable part of my job, buying text books, selling text books, working on a college campus, buy retail.
Pros
Free food and great conferences every year.
Cons
Bookstore division closed down.
Excellent job opportunity
Executive Chef II/ General Manager (Current Employee) –  Wallingford, CTFebruary 16, 2016
ideal place for job opportunities, flexible schedule and life style. compensation package is great and benefits, job security, and great culture
Sodexo would be a rewarding challenge for any person willing to participate in employment with the company
Retail Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 23, 2016
Sodexo is a company that is aware of the needs of their employees. The management staff looks for employees that have a desire to learn and achieve in their positions. Hardest part of my position was saying good-bye when I terminated to help my family. My co-workers were the best part of my day, everyone looked out for one another. I learned so much from my directors , advancing my knowledge of company policies and procedures.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
No overtime
Great company to work for!
general manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2016
I have been with Sodexo for 20+ years and I can actually say its been amazing. Could not have made a better decision to stay with the company over the years. I have a great DM who has been supportive of my career and always "had my back".
Pros
The management Team
Cons
Long hours and high expectations
Great people and a good environment
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 27, 2016
The Miami International Airport branch of SodexoMAGIC has been a dependable, outsourced service company for the American Airlines Admirals Lounge. Our main goals for the day are to set up the lounge before it opens at 4:30am, which includes the buffet tables for our complimentary breakfasts, as well as upkeep the cleanliness of the tables and lounge as a whole. As service assistants, we also function as waitstaff if a passenger requests an item off of our menu (which has a short but variety of items for sale). Management is very accommodating to personal and business needs and work well with staff schedules--which rotate every three months. The hardest part of the job, from only my experience may be the hours and if one works in the closing shift, may be held overtime if there are delayed flights, which require the lounge to stay open for its members. The most enjoyable would have to be meeting so many different people, as the airport is a concentrated cultural hub from which everyone comes and goes.
Pros
Free lunches, Free uniform, flexible schedule
Cons
No benefits for part-time, difficult to move up in position
Working for Sodexo over the last three years has been both rewarding and a tremendous opportunity for growth. I have gained knowledge and experience.
Retail Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CADecember 23, 2015
Opportunity for a new challenge each day. I work very well within our culture, developing great friendships and partnerships with both internal and external customers. My prior experience afforded me the opportunity to grow and learn additional things that I was not exposed to before.

The hardest part of my job is getting all the things I would like to do for my staff done. I am able to achieve my day to day tasks, I would love to do even more. We have a good group of people.
Cons
Very long hours
Terrible Management, broken promises
Catering Attendant/Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2015
You are underpaid. Management doesn't communicate with one another. You will be lied to. You will be frustrated everyday. Managers/Administration on Facebook all day or buying rims online while neglecting duties and pawning them off to workers. One of the chefs was stealing equipment and ordering excess product and we lost our Christmas bonuses because of it. I was promised a pay raise that I never received, even after 4 months of training and 4 more months of actual service in the position. Terrible company to work for. Save yourself time and aggravation
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Attitude of management, bad communication, low-pay with high output expectations, lies from management, abusive language used by management and coworkers.
Poor management
Cashier ine server (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, NCFebruary 17, 2016
I started working for this company when I was 16. I worked every weekend for two years and 4 hours for two days during the week. I came everyday every time I was to work got looked over like I was nothing to them.Then as soon as I graduated they cut my hours got no raise and I still continue to stay I invested 3 years into this company and got nothing out of it. This is not a good company to work for
Pros
Ate for free
Cons
Was over looked