Sodexo

Sodexo Employee Reviews

Found 2,023 reviews matching the search
Sodexo Los Angeles / Mattel
Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Mattel in El SegundoJuly 24, 2014
First off unless your latino don't bother applying, half the team are all related and will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat to save their own rears. Cutthroat and bruttle.

The union is worthless offering ZERO protection to the employees. You are threatened daily by management with being fired, and Mattel has a liaison for the cafeteria that is a complete control freak of the highest caliber. He views the place as his own personal restaurant expecting you to cater to his every whim and desire regardless of what the actual customers might want.

ZERO feeling of job security since you are threatened daily with being fired several times a day.

The chef has no morals or etiquette at all when it comes to dealing with employees if you make a tiny mistake he will bawl you out in front of the Mattel employees in the middle of lunch service.

The Mattel employees for the majority are a bunch of self entitled spoiled people. Looking down their noses at the minimum wage people as they come through the line looking for any reason to pitch a fit causing a huge scene with the Chef when he comes over to bawl you out.

Basically life in any job in Los Angeles at it's finest, unless you are someone with money prepare to be treated like absolute and complete fecal matter.
Pros
none what so ever.
Cons
too many to even begin to list.
A very productive and diverse environment. Major global player in its field.
Senior Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDFebruary 4, 2015
A typical day begins with:
• Arranging international travel for the Vice Presidents and the Directors.
• Preparing expense reports and updating the travel and meeting budget for VP finance.
• Working on PowerPoint presentations for Global Supplier Business Review projects.
I have learned to manage complex business travel, sometimes on a very short notice.
Working at Sodexo I get the chance to interact with, and manage projects for the International team based in Europe and South America.
This job has provided me with the unique opportunity to deal with different personalities successfully with tact and diplomacy. I am able to meet with complex demands made on my time- partly due to the time difference between US & Europe.
Scheduling high level global meetings/events with multiple Global Head of departments is a challenge indeed!
To create and manage the SharePoint site for my division has been a good learning experience.
I enjoy working in the Global division of Sodexo; it gives me a diverse perspective of the company's operations.
Best of all, I am very fortunate to be working with a multi-national team of highly driven and result oriented individuals. They support each other in their efforts to succeed as a team.
Pros
good in-house training programs, great sense of social responsibility, food drives to support local schools and food banks
Cons
not the greatest health plan.
Long Hours, Worl/Life Unbalanced, Lacking Quality Leadership at the Regional Level.
Ops Manager, GM, Healthcare (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay AreaNovember 22, 2014
Very challenging environment and depending on which account you are located you may be surrounded by some seasoned leaders and have the opportunity to learn quite a bit.

It is a people person business so (EI) Emotional Intelligence is a MUST in order to succeed. People with dual masters but ZERO EI will not survive and, or lower the morale of those around them.

The environment is a "cut throat" and "Dog-Eat-Dog" world, so be prepared to deal with not only with the crazy clients, but also battle it out with your own team.

Its a great place to learn and develop into an outstanding leader (hopefully) if you can survive, and take what you learn and go elsewhere and hope that you end up in more of a "normal" work environment.

Recent changes at the local regional leadership levels has severely demised the organization's strategic objectives. This has also clouded the sound judgement of hiring decisions and unfortunately reflects in the caliber of senior managers that have been placed in high-level, Blue Chip accounts.

It is sad to see how quickly the organization is going downhill.
Pros
ability to learn and develop.
Cons
as a contractor you are only as good as your last performance and at the mercy of the client.
Falling Short
Production Supervisor Chef Manager Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Computer Associates , BAE , Cannon , CablevisionDecember 18, 2013
I found Sodexo to be a wonderful, great company with great corporate hours. My typical day would start at 5:00 am and end at 3:30pm . I really enjoyed the work assignments I was given. I've held a lead position since 2004 but I found it hard to climb the corporate ladder with Sodexo. Its like the managers dont trust me or something. I am a Johnson & Wales Graduate with a pending BA in culinary arts and have been in the business for a good 28 years. I dont mind hard work and that diffidently was the case with Sodexo. I started to think it was because I was black. That never stopped me in the past from achieving my goals. But for some reason . I guess not enough experience for the corporate food service. Anyhow I did have plenty of overtime to compensate for the low hourly wage.The most enjoyable part of my job was working at an account with an indoor gym . Weight room , Basketball court , Zumba dance room and racket ball court. Amazing Facility ! Too bad they lost the account. I enjoyed my co workers we had lots of fun. I saw many come and go. Overall Sodexo is a great company but that corporate ladder seems more like Mt. Everst.
Pros
free lunches, plenty of overtime
Cons
company seems to loose accounts too often !
Could be worse..
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIDecember 2, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of trying to do more jobs in more areas than one person could possibly handle, followed by the General Manager coming in the next morning wondering why more wasn't done.
I learned that they won't promote you if you are already doing the job for less money. They have you closing, running the shift without management, and having three or more different areas to cover for all breaks and lunches and yet, they will not actually promote you. I had a name tag that read supervisor but my pay was still from my cashier days. I suppose that doing the beverage orders, running a shift, and doing paperwork for my boss wasn't enough to make more than the people that I was supposed to be supervising.
My co-workers for the most part were great. They were there to do a job and make sure that it was done. Some of them were a little moody, but that happens anywhere.
The hardest part of the job was knowing that I would be there with 20 other people working and no other manager present for hours.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that the student customers were always so happy to see me at work. Knowing that the customer knows that you're working hard for him/her is always rewarding. I still get messages from them stating that they miss me.
Pros
free lunch, some fun people
Cons
poor pay, little respect from upper management, corporate needs to get to know how their units actually work
I aquired many skill sets and learned other aspects of different types of dining as well as kitchen policies that were beyond my experience.
Dining Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Solomons Island, MDSeptember 7, 2015
A typical day at work with Sodexo would be; opening the dining hall and cafeteria for the residents. I would prepare the menu daily as well as prepare slides for a television show for the residents. I was constantly taking pictures of different events and write articles on daily progress and upcoming events. I led the residential dining meetings in which there was a board of residents that represented the community and would voice their concerns; I was in charge of making those concerns happen or be fixed. I was not in contact with my manager often as he was responsible for many other branches and we were the furthest away. However, he did offer support whenever needed and checked in with me frequently. The hardest part of this job was making as many residents happy and satisfied as possible. Every resident of the community has their own opinion and views on how the department should run as they wanted it to. I did my absolute best to ensure that the majority desires were met and communicated to the few that objected on why certain things were happening. The most enjoyable part of my job with Sodexo was making the residents happy and training my staff. Most of the staff that I hired were in high school and for most of them it was their first job. I loved training them and teaching them valuable morals and work ethic for them to use for years to come.
Fun atmostphere and good client interaction
Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  Palos Hills, ILNovember 18, 2014
I started as a supervisor for the cafeteria and grew into the Catering Manager position, but my job classification was only changed to coordinator. I also did all the marketing material for the cafeteria like signs and advertisements, and a Facebook page. So I did the work of a Catering Manager but was not compensated at the rate that most are paid. Even though I was hourly, I had to adjust my schedule to the needs of catering on the campus, some days were a normal 8 hours, others up to 12 hours depending on the event. I commuted about 30-45 minutes to get to work so that was another negative after working a long day, I'd get home with little time to do things for dinner or around the house.
The clients were easy to work with, but had high demands as a lot of the catering was outside business brought to the campus. I was close with quite a few of them, so leaving them was difficult.
Overall it's a good company for hourly employees, but I think staff is underpaid for all the hard work they do.
I felt left behind as an "potential manager of my own account" and soon decided it was time to move on after a crazy year of management change and working without a chef for a few months.
Pros
good benefits, free lunch/food, campus environment
Cons
commute was long, pay, varying schedule
Productive and fun
customer service (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYJanuary 4, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of either cooking food on a grill and in fryers, or making subs at the deli, and an end of the night clean up to maintain a clean work environment.

I went into Sodexo knowing how to cook only a few things at home. I learned that if I apply myself I can do anything that I put my mind to because I wasn't very good at cooking, but working there I became a better cook.

While working management was easy to get along with. Management would chat with us, help us if we got busy with students, or help with keeping us caught up in the kitchen for closing time. As long as we kept working they didn't worry about us getting our things done for the night. They trusted me and my co-workers to know what to do and to keep busy throughout the night.

My co-workers there were great people to work with. I'm not hard to get along with, everybody that I work with has excellent things to say about my personality and work ethic.

The hardest part of the job was the big rushes that we would get a line of students. Its not that it was hard but with a limited number of people on the night shift; when we got hit with people and there were only two of us available to cook or make subs it would be cause us to occasionally mess up a few orders.
Pros
Co-workers, Free meals, breaks
Cons
amount of hours
Cooking at Sodexo
Cook (Current Employee) –  Golden, COMarch 20, 2013
I am and have been a cook for three Sodexo accounts. I currently work at a regularly high paced job making various meals for college students on an individual order basis.

Throughout the years, sometimes on a monthly basis different co-workers and new employees came and gone, I was forced to learn how to work with them. I learned how to share ideas to make the job easier for them without discouraging them and other positive communication skills. There were many different positions that I filled upon need and always successfully picked up the job fairly fast.

My manager has always kept me and all the crew on our feet, he was flexible for any time I needed to take off. It took me a while to understand his form of appreciation and I learned to appreciate it.

My co-workers were like family to me. We really brightened up the place and had fun when it all good.

It wasn't uncommon an employee called out. It was of course stressful to fill the position. The pace was stressful however I became accustomed to the routine.

I enjoy working for the students. I made specials for certain people everyday and I think I made some fans there.
Pros
free lunches, flexible scheduling, benefits
Cons
raises were not provided to anyone
Worked hard, played hard atmosphere
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILJune 18, 2012
I started out at Sodexo as an Admin working in HR. My days consisted of getting new hire information together, scheduling training, reconciling P & L statements and answering questions for employees regarding benefits, FMLA, payroll, etc. Later in my role as Branch Manager, I split my days between our suburban office and a Chicago campus, hiring temporary hourly employees for Environmental Services and Food Service for over 146 different Chicagoland locations, conducting interviews, drug tests, hiring and firing and scheduling these employees at different locations. I had never been a manager before and it was a great challenge that I rose to and thoroughly enjoyed. My boss was fantastic. She had the "work hard, play hard" mentality which made my job very enjoyable. There was always a moment in the day for a joke or team lunch and always a "thank you for the work that you do". The hardest part of the job was starting from scratch since the temp service was a new endeavor for our organization but it was also the most enjoyable. I was given a great opportunity and was able to make it my own. I increased revenue by 30% my first year and cut expenses by 8%.
Pros
advancement, team spirit
Cons
some long hours since i ran the temp agency

Comment – July 3, 2012

Hi I have worked for sodexo for several years. I really cant say to many good things about it any nore. The prices are high they work there employees like animals and fire you if you dont do as told i would not recomend for a job

awesome clients and great customers
Chef Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rosemont, ILJuly 11, 2013
I did all of our HACCP and training. I was in charge of making the menus, ordering of all supplies, all inventory, cooking, salad bar, caterings, programming registers and credit card terminals, cashiering (Fridays only), bank deposits when manager was absent, and also covering manager while gone for the day or on vacation. I absolutely loved the 2 other employees I worked with and enjoyed and greatly appreciated the loyal customers we had for years.

I would have to say one of the hardest parts of my job was being able to find the time to do all of the things I had to do during the day, mainly because I had to carry the weight of the managers duties. I did not enjoy working with the manager or district manager that was assigned to the account I was at the last 2 years. But because I had worked for the company so long I stuck it out for as long as I possibly could. Sodexo in general is a great company to work for and to be apart of, which is why it was so hard for me to walk away after almost 12 years and is why I would like to further my career with Sodexo just not under the same management as I was before.
Pros
great learning experience all around and good benefits.
Cons
more accountability for gm's/dm's
Love my customers, wish I could say the same about the company
Cook II (Current Employee) –  OHMay 29, 2014
I love most of my customers (there are always going to be a few difficult ones) but there is NO ADVANCEMENT unless you are HIRED IN as management. I have almost 15 years of management experience before coming to this company almost 10 years ago. I have posted for several positions and can't even get an interview. My GM is the meanest woman on the planet, she gets a kick out of making you and your co-workers feel small.
Many of us have contacted HR about issues with her, all they did was give her a list of names and told her to talk with them....... nothing has changed.
Hours are great, pay is decent, but you are treated like a piece of trash.
On the plus side, this has given me the final push to go back to school and get out of food service all together (after 25 years of it) I am just here for the paycheck until we either lose the account or I graduate and get a much better job.
Pros
great hours, no nights or weekends at most locations
Cons
management, do not promote from within
Productive and fun to work for them. Was never bored every day was different.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 22, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of preparing and serving food to elementary school children and working within the safety rules of the company.
I learned to take temperatures of food accurately, interacting with the children which I found to be enjoyable. Also interacted with the staff members of the school which I found to be an absolute pleasure, they all care about the children in the school.
The management team was just that a team and worked together to provide the best for all of the employees. they all took to heart their job position and enforced the safety rules for the protection of their valued employees.
I found all of my co-workers to be fun and exciting to work with, as well as very helpful when needed. They were always willing to go above and beyond the call of duty, which I find is a valuable asset to customer service.
I don't feel that there was any real hard part of the job, challenging maybe at times when a full menu was on board, but we all still managed to pull things together as a team effort and with very little if any stress involved.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the customer service, the interacting with the people, including the management team.
Pros
providing nutritional food at all times. being able to give free luch to those in need
Cons
no cons only challenges at times
Productive, fun and energetic atmosphere
Cashier/Customer Service/Catering/Retail (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTSeptember 6, 2013
I greatly enjoyed working for this company.
A typical day at work includes opening up our assigned food area. There are 10 different places for the students to eat. All having their own demands and time of opening.
I learned to work on a dead line. Having my assigned location open and ready for business 5 minutes before the actual opening time. I've learned a great deal of teamwork and giving great customer service.
The management was great. Great communication between them and the employees. If you weren't exactly sure or weren't exactly confident in that specific area. They would help you with what ever it was that you were shaky on.
I loved all of my co-workers. All with very different personalities never made a day at work boring. Full of positive energy making the working environment a pleasant place.
The Sodexo location i worked at was at an University. There are all types of ethnic backgrounds. Some with very thick accents, some not.. I would have to say that, that was the hardest part of that job. trying to understand what they were trying to say. Especially with how loud some of our appliances were.
The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the different ethnic backgrounds. Getting to know my customer(s). Knowing what they want the moment they walk up.
I worked in the cafeteria at Northern Arizona University
Part-time cook (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJune 30, 2013
I ran a different pizza stand and ensured there was enough to eat in a buffet-style environment.
An hour before shift, I would be responsible for prepping pizzas and setting everything up. They would be short 4 hour shifts, but I worked very hard during those 4 hours. I would tend the counter, take orders for various Italian foods, make pizzas, and run dishes back that needed washing.
I had no qualms about the management.
The hardest part of my job was keeping enough pizza out on the line at the dinner rush. This was especially true on nights where the rest of the cafeteria would be feeling experimental, and put out less-than-appealing other food and place a large amount of the work burden on the ever-popular food, pizza.
The hardest part of my job, was knowing that I was working incredibly hard for minimum-wage, which at the time was $5.15/hour.
The most enjoyable part of my job was getting compliments on the pizzas I would put out. I usually did a great job making them look and taste good.
Pros
it helped learn what it was like to work while being in school at the same time.
Cons
it paid so poorly, that a lot of the time, it didn't feel like it was worth it.
Productive and fun workplace
Food service worker (Current Employee) –  Tarrytown, NYMay 20, 2014
Perform various general service and production duties. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
o Carrying out all daily task in a manner that advances Sodexo
visions and goals
o Reporting to work when scheduled, on time, in full uniform with exceptional personal hygiene
o Superior attendance is required
o Follow all food safety rules
o Follow all Physical Safety rules
o Main entrée cooking and short‐order production
o Baking production
o Sandwich and salad production
o Customer mealtime service, includes serving customers and keeping the service line full, clean and
organized
o Stocking shelves, receiving and properly putting orders away in correct storage areas
o Properly storing leftover food
o Cleaning, dishwashing and garbage removal
• Cleaning of all stations, equipment, floors, and shelving
• Washing all dishes containers, pans and utensils
• All garbage removed from kitchen daily
o Taking part in monthly and yearly training as requested by the company
o Maintaining a competent rating of 3 or better on your yearly performance appraisal
o As you finish your assigned duties, report to immediate supervisor before clocking out
o Treat fellow associates and customers with respect and kindness
Pros
free lucnhes
A fun but serious work environment, that gets the job done quick and orderly.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDSeptember 6, 2013
A typical day at work, would start off as calm and slow, but when it's time to serve business man and woman it can become a little hard. Only because as a waitress you have a lot of responsibilities to take care of, while either you serve them or they serve their selves.
I didn't learn much about what I was doing, because I've done it prior to working there, with a catering company " Kimeri ".
The Managers made it comfortable working there, just because they would tell jokes as well as joke around with you to lighten the mood, from what you might have been anticipating for that day. Which overall made the job fun.
The hardest part of the job would have to be moving throughout the crowd of business workers to pick up after them and trying to keep the refreshment table going. Although it was hard, it was manageable.
The most enjoyable part of my job, was going on break. When ever we went on break, everybody who was on the floor or in the back went on break as well. So everybody would talk and joke around about their experiences with how the day went by so far. Then after the break, we would give each other the motivation to continue the hard work.
Pros
good food, good pay
Cons
the slow moments
Magic Johnson was my boss and came from time to time.
Catering Chef (Former Employee) –  CAAugust 18, 2015
What can i say about Sodexo other than I had a great run for 12 years full of joy and great stories with my bosses and co-workers. No to forget about clients that would bring life and joy to our line of work. Creating relationships everyday with new interesting clients.
It began as a simple job and it ended in me falling in love with it. Growing, learning everyday from management made me grow as an employee. It sadden me to leave my second family: Sodexo. I will forever cherish my co-workers i know i have moved to Colorado to seek a new life and a new Career in Nursing, I will keep in touch as we do now. I will always look back and how much i enjoyed working at Sodexo. My farewell party showed me that I was loved by all and felt their support to pursue Nursing, The same feeling as they encouraged me when first started going to Nursing school at nights. They knew that one day the hard part was letting them know that I was going to pursue Nursing. Thank you Sodexo for 12 great years and your support. Great second family to have and hope to find a Nursing Family!
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Expensive health care
Productive learning work place
Cashier, Baker, cook (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 24, 2015
A typical day working at Sodexo is not very typical. With my current job position as a cashier. I come in to work 15 minutes before opening for the lunch period. In that time I have to make sure the serving area is clean, coffee is made, and all areas are stocked with proper utensils. Then I go to cash office to get my money for the day. While in the cash offices I have to count the money in my draw and do the paperwork to receive the money. Then I go back to the serving area to check to make sure the menu boards are correct. Once that is completed it is usually time to open for the lunch meal. During the lunch meal I wait on customers at the register. I am also still responsible for the coffee and facing shelving during the meal.
After the meal I am in the convenient part of the food area for the rest of my shift. I restock shelving check inventory for products we need. Then we open for dinner shift which I do the same as the lunch shift. After Dinner is completed we go into cash office recount the drawer and do the paperwork to account for the transaction that we had for the day. After making sure that the account is correct we make the draws back to start bank status. After that I go clean coffee pots and flush juice machines and pop machine. then I go home for the night.
Pros
Free lunches, discount on my current tution
Cons
benefits are not the best, layoff during summer and christmas time
Productive Team, kept busy, everyday.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Rensselaer, INApril 23, 2015
Typical day,arrive to work,eat,get the feel of co-workers state of mind, chit-chat, plan who is going to work at what place in dish room, place people by according to mood, begin setting up work place, turn on machines and conveyer belts, fill silverware cart with soap and water,retrieve lunch tray's,sort the garbage from the dishes,rinse,put each in it's place,repeat, and the end of shift,clean work space,take out garbage,clean dining room, most of management were great to work with and be around, the hardest part of the day was during a rush, when there were extra people or ballroom parties, fast and furious pace, loved it the most, you wanted to pull your hair out,but you just laugh and keep going,do not stop. That was also my best moment's of the day or usually night's!
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch and dinner, made for cheap grocery bill, most of management, were great
Cons
Moody, or lazy co-worker's, very few of them! Miss that job, and TEAM!