Solano Community College Employee Reviews

Students came here for private tutoring and got it.
Tutor and Mentor (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJanuary 27, 2017
Students weren't required to get extra help, so all students that were in the tutoring center were willing to be there and learn as much as they could from the tutors. It would be so such a great accomplishment that the students felt confident in what they had come in for.
Pros
Home Setting
Cons
Short break or none at all sometimes.
Learning something new every day.
Computer Science Tutor (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CAAugust 27, 2016
The position I am at currently does not offer long term stability. I am looking for long term stability and a retirement package.
Pros
I like working with disabled students, helping people.
Cons
Short term employment
good experience as a student
EMBEDDED TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMay 25, 2016
It is fun working as an embedded tutor at Solano College because it helped me a lot when it comes to communication considering English as my second language. I did not only get to communicate with students who needed help; I also enjoyed sitting with co-workers and students at one table and just brainstorming about a certain topic. One benefit that I like about working as a tutor is that I get to choose my work schedule, and because of that I manage my work and study time properly.
Pros
time schedule
Cons
healthcare, monthly salary
My review
Student Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Solano CollegeJuly 25, 2016
I lo0ved working for the students and I feel like thee job title and my position was effective, however the management was NO support and I felt I was alone as a staff member.
Pros
Students
Cons
Lack of ethical values from staff
Learn a lot when working in Solano Community College
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMay 21, 2016
As a former student worker, Solano Community College (SCC) is a good place to start your dream.
The most enjoyable part of the job that I learned how to manage my time between school and working.
Uncertain of future stability of district.
Operating Engineer/ maintenance operations (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CASeptember 17, 2015
Enjoyed the collaborative ,family orientated environment for the firstyears. Vacancies due to budget cuts and retirement have left administrative positions filled with inadequate canidates . This led to sanctions on Accreditation and a Grand Jury inquiry. Personal experience has been less than satisfactory. Would have stayed longer but constant changes in leadership positions and policy and procedure left me feeling uncertain about the future stability of district.
Pros
health / retirement contributions
Cons
very high administration/ leadership attrition
Great job if student
Instructor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAOctober 4, 2015
I was a student intern at Solano Community College inside the Automotive Technology Program. If anyone consider to be an intern, do expect to be treated well. Don't expect to be well trained. Expect to come to work unprepared, and not knowing what to do each class session. Each direction given, is a guess and the intern will not be given keys to get the product asked. A person will not only need financial aid to be paid for this position, but they will also need to be inside the internship program located near the sports buildings and the campus police, mech-tronics and other services. Start the internship at the beginning of the semester and not at the end. Or, the internship with be a horrible experience.
Pros
listen into lectures, be around students, help out Master Technicians
Cons
No breaks, vague instructions, not paid if no financial aid
Love working here!
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJune 2, 2015
Management is great, supervisor works around schedule, supervisor trusts me with responsibilities. The hardest part of the job is getting projects done in a timely fashion. I enjoy going to meetings and networking with other campuses. I do most of the data work, but I also get to interact with students and do program development. Some of my job requires me to do event planning, which I enjoy as well.
Pros
lunches, tours, opportunities, travel
Cons
no health/dental plan
being of assistance to the physically handicapped made life more fulfilling
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAAugust 3, 2014
Being able to connect with all sorts of physical setbacks other people were hoping to defeat and helping them gain at least partial mobility of there handicaps made me not take my minor setbacks for granted. The physical therapists I worked with were so motivated and dedicated to helping others overcome there physical setbacks i learned how to overcome personal setbacks physical or otherwise.
Pros
helping others defeat there physical handicaps
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMarch 31, 2013
Cleaned classrooms sweap them out, washed the chawk bored, moped the floor dumped the trash and whiped down tables. Cleaned bathroom, preped them with toilet paper, paper towels, maded sure the toilets were clean and everything was sanitized. Cleaned library, vaccumed it out and dumped all office trash cans. Vaccumed hallways and made sure everything was clean on the school campus
Pros
my co-workers were great, and so was the work enviorment
Cons
sometimes we ran out of supplies
Following directives/ and direction.
Instructor/ Asst. Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMarch 13, 2014
• Communicating with coworkers in an efficient and courteous manner, and using safe driving practices
• Maintaining shuttle activity and maintenance logs
• Communicating by telephone, two-way radio and in person
• Practicing preventative safety procedures as set forth by University Audi/Volkswagon dealership
• Keeping inside and outside of vehicle properly cleaned and fueled on an ongoing basis.
Freedom comes at a cost
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJune 18, 2013
It's great to be able to wear what you want and be yourself at work, but the lack of coherent structure makes it almost impossible to maintain any level of efficiency. Trying to get things done can require running all over campus or playing phone and email tag for days. The pay (for hourly employees) is basic, and there are no benefits for seasonal or temp workers.
Pros
Casual dress, flexible schedule
Cons
Low wages, minimal hours, poorly managed
productive and interesting
Student Aid/Office Support (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMay 4, 2015
Typical day included processing incoming transcripts. Filed student records. Answered phones. Updated student records. Learned to use microfilm equipment.
Pros
Interesting to work on college campus and very fulfilling to be of assistance
Cons
was limited as to how much I could do because I was a student worker
rewarding and worth-while work being done
Head Tutor for the Hype Program (Current Employee) –  Vallejo, CAAugust 5, 2015
Check email messages as well as phone.
Review lesson plan while organizing and structuring
Meet with clients to work on their skills in various subjects math, language, Social studies or/and science.
Devise an individual independent study plan.
Write reports documents of each case study.
I have a lot of autonomy at my job. I supervise other tutors who provide the same service as me. The hardest thing about my job is to keep the clients motivated. My clients range from 17-23 years old. Therefore they are in that awkward stage of being an adult legally but still acting like children. If they receive an unsatisfactory mark, they tend to want to give up. My job is to get them through the hard times and make sure they excel and complete the program to earn their credentials. The most enjoyable aspect of my job is when they successfully complete the program. I always tell my students: when you win, I win so let's win!
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
rough clientele
Great management
Registration Aide (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAAugust 6, 2015
Great start to gain experience in an office setting. Typical day at work contain clerical duties filing, answering phones and emails. Management needed help on some of their daily tasks which they were eager to train to get the job done.
Excellence and caring culture
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAAugust 21, 2015
My instructors were very much interested in student being able to grasp concepts presented and in general student success. Overall the school was exciting and interesting.
Pros
Wide variety of courses offered
It's was nice
Enabling Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMay 30, 2012
I did this job during one of my English classes. I just went to class and took notes for me and my disabled classmate. It wasn't hard and I had to learn how to make my notes easy to read for my classmate. My supervisor was nice, and never gave me a hassle. I would work for the school again if I could.
Pros
nice people, recommendation
Cons
n/a
I love coaching football.
Assistant Coach/Line Backer Coach (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAApril 3, 2013
Preparing the linebackers with the porper tec for each game every week.I had fun working the other coaches.It was hard seeing all the work the kids put in sometimes and then not win the game.The most enjoyable part of the job is when a kid gets a scholarship.
Custodian
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CaOctober 30, 2012
Ensure all “green" policies are followed including use of chemicals and sustainable materials as directed.
Assist with restoring the rooms and common areas to their original condition upon resident or guest move-out through cleaning and repairs.
Good people to work with
Interim Accountant (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CASeptember 4, 2014
Monitor budgets
Journal Entries
Budget revisions
Monthly/Quarterly/Yearly Federal, State, and Local financial reporting
Working with Program Managers, AP,AR and Payroll
Resolve coding issues
Account Reconcilation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Solano Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4