Solano Community College Employee Reviews

fun place to work at
Tutor/Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAOctober 5, 2017
It was a wonderful place to work. The supervisor was fantastic, always there when you needed something, always thought of her co-workers during the holidays. The DEAN of the department on the other hand needs to learn how to work with the students who work in her department. The Dean never learned our names or cared about what issues that where going on in the department. unlike the supervisor did.
Pros
Supervisor cared about who she had hired and taught us.
Cons
The Dean was horrible.
Apply here if you are lazy.
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CASeptember 6, 2017
Poorly managed. Rampant waste of public funds. No clue how to grow enrollment. Just your basic "pencil pushers" happy to get their paycheck. Dishonesty from management and staff. Pay lower than most for comparable work. More slackers employed than workers. Racially motivated hiring practices. If you want to get paid for doing not much work this place is for you, if you are the right color.
Pros
Easy paycheck.
Cons
Racism, dishonesty, low pay, lack of appreciation.
Too many years ago to recall the day to day but I appreciate the community college experience
Manager (Current Employee) –  Concord, CASeptember 1, 2017
Great location campus was neat and clean; professors cared about students and followed up as needed to ensure first time students had a great experience there.
Poor management of resources
Class Officer (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAAugust 3, 2017
This place has poor management of resources and is disorganized. I would not recommend this place to students. Policies make this a very frustrating place to try work.
Calm work place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMarch 2, 2017
Management is wonderful, they show compassion, understanding, and professionalism. Great for college students to gain experience and learn to network.
Students came here for private tutoring and got it.
Tutor and Mentor (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJanuary 27, 2017
Students weren't required to get extra help, so all students that were in the tutoring center were willing to be there and learn as much as they could from the tutors. It would be so such a great accomplishment that the students felt confident in what they had come in for.
Pros
Home Setting
Cons
Short break or none at all sometimes.
Learning something new every day.
Computer Science Tutor (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CAAugust 27, 2016
The position I am at currently does not offer long term stability. I am looking for long term stability and a retirement package.
Pros
I like working with disabled students, helping people.
Cons
Short term employment
My review
Student Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Solano CollegeJuly 25, 2016
I lo0ved working for the students and I feel like thee job title and my position was effective, however the management was NO support and I felt I was alone as a staff member.
Pros
Students
Cons
Lack of ethical values from staff
good experience as a student
EMBEDDED TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMay 25, 2016
It is fun working as an embedded tutor at Solano College because it helped me a lot when it comes to communication considering English as my second language. I did not only get to communicate with students who needed help; I also enjoyed sitting with co-workers and students at one table and just brainstorming about a certain topic. One benefit that I like about working as a tutor is that I get to choose my work schedule, and because of that I manage my work and study time properly.
Pros
time schedule
Cons
healthcare, monthly salary
Learn a lot when working in Solano Community College
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMay 21, 2016
As a former student worker, Solano Community College (SCC) is a good place to start your dream.
The most enjoyable part of the job that I learned how to manage my time between school and working.
Great job if student
Instructor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAOctober 4, 2015
I was a student intern at Solano Community College inside the Automotive Technology Program. If anyone consider to be an intern, do expect to be treated well. Don't expect to be well trained. Expect to come to work unprepared, and not knowing what to do each class session. Each direction given, is a guess and the intern will not be given keys to get the product asked. A person will not only need financial aid to be paid for this position, but they will also need to be inside the internship program located near the sports buildings and the campus police, mech-tronics and other services. Start the internship at the beginning of the semester and not at the end. Or, the internship with be a horrible experience.
Pros
listen into lectures, be around students, help out Master Technicians
Cons
No breaks, vague instructions, not paid if no financial aid
Uncertain of future stability of district.
Operating Engineer/ maintenance operations (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CASeptember 17, 2015
Enjoyed the collaborative ,family orientated environment for the firstyears. Vacancies due to budget cuts and retirement have left administrative positions filled with inadequate canidates . This led to sanctions on Accreditation and a Grand Jury inquiry. Personal experience has been less than satisfactory. Would have stayed longer but constant changes in leadership positions and policy and procedure left me feeling uncertain about the future stability of district.
Pros
health / retirement contributions
Cons
very high administration/ leadership attrition
Excellence and caring culture
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAAugust 21, 2015
My instructors were very much interested in student being able to grasp concepts presented and in general student success. Overall the school was exciting and interesting.
Pros
Wide variety of courses offered
Great management
Registration Aide (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAAugust 6, 2015
Great start to gain experience in an office setting. Typical day at work contain clerical duties filing, answering phones and emails. Management needed help on some of their daily tasks which they were eager to train to get the job done.
rewarding and worth-while work being done
Head Tutor for the Hype Program (Current Employee) –  Vallejo, CAAugust 5, 2015
Check email messages as well as phone.
Review lesson plan while organizing and structuring
Meet with clients to work on their skills in various subjects math, language, Social studies or/and science.
Devise an individual independent study plan.
Write reports documents of each case study.
I have a lot of autonomy at my job. I supervise other tutors who provide the same service as me. The hardest thing about my job is to keep the clients motivated. My clients range from 17-23 years old. Therefore they are in that awkward stage of being an adult legally but still acting like children. If they receive an unsatisfactory mark, they tend to want to give up. My job is to get them through the hard times and make sure they excel and complete the program to earn their credentials. The most enjoyable aspect of my job is when they successfully complete the program. I always tell my students: when you win, I win so let's win!
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
rough clientele
great place to work
Social work intern (Former Employee) –  Suisun, CAAugust 1, 2015
The management was very supportive. The work environment can get a bit crazy and busy, but it is a great place to gain experience
Loved my time there
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJune 14, 2015
There was nothing wrong with this place. I loved everything about it. The students were willing to learn and I was more than willing to help them.
Love working here!
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJune 2, 2015
Management is great, supervisor works around schedule, supervisor trusts me with responsibilities. The hardest part of the job is getting projects done in a timely fashion. I enjoy going to meetings and networking with other campuses. I do most of the data work, but I also get to interact with students and do program development. Some of my job requires me to do event planning, which I enjoy as well.
Pros
lunches, tours, opportunities, travel
Cons
no health/dental plan
productive and interesting
Student Aid/Office Support (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMay 4, 2015
Typical day included processing incoming transcripts. Filed student records. Answered phones. Updated student records. Learned to use microfilm equipment.
Pros
Interesting to work on college campus and very fulfilling to be of assistance
Cons
was limited as to how much I could do because I was a student worker
clerical and customer service
Registrar Aid (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CADecember 21, 2014
I enjoyed working in the education field and chelping students begin their college classes in the registrar's office.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Solano Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2