Solar Turbines Employee Reviews in United States

A decent place to work with exception of an open environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXAugust 26, 2016
Turbofab facility has been thru an evolutionary change out of the stoneage. When I began my journey there, it was bare bones when it came to equipment and strategies. We slowly began to upgrade equipment and methodology. Bringing in 6sigma concepts and accountabilities. We then added robotics and upgraded cnc equipment, for which I was a part of. Continued training of the workforce has made a big difference in the culture. An educated workforce, treating everyone fair and holding people accountable made an impact on the ability to serve our customers while maintaining a solid base of core people.
Good company to work
Program Manager / Solution Architect (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 4, 2016
I have lot of respect of the company culture and the peers, but it is a manufacturing company therefore not too much focus on the evolving technology.
Great Company
Test Engineer and Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 6, 2016
Very nice company to work for and grow professionally. I enjoyed their 6 sigma drive and customer focus.

A typical work day consist of review and providing engineerings definition in order to complete a testing project.

I have learned a great deal of 6 sigma methodology and Leadership.

My coworkers in the testing environment were very supportive and nice to work with.

The hardest part of the job is leaving for the day. It was fun to work there.

The most enjoyable part of that job was the young engineers that I had the opportunity to collaborate with daily on many projects.
Pros
Six Sigma Drive
Cons
Not Racially Diverse
You will belong to the Solar Family
Principal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 31, 2016
Solar Turbines has been the best company I've worked for in San Diego.
It was great being on Turbomachinery Administrative team because we all worked together to support one another
Solar has some of the top notch employees with multiple degrees
Solar's Executive staff and President were all so great to support
Maintenance personnel always provided the best support to everyone
There are multiple departments to support you in your position and they do a fantastic job!
Pros
Solar's President, his staff and management team were great to work for.
Good people
Sr. Technology Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 19, 2016
The best thing about this place is the people.
There are some very nice people working here, the work life balance is good if not great.
When things are good everything is great. In tough times they manage difficult decisions well to position the company well.
The management below the executive level, outside of a few individuals, has a lot of stagnation.
There is very little room for growth for talented people, and they generally leave or get frustrated and collect a paycheck.
Non-merit based advancement, purely subjective.
Undervalue technology.
Pros
Nice people. Good work life balance. Products sell themselves, or used to.
Cons
Too much job security, poor management below the exceutive level.
Some company
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXApril 28, 2016
Unless you are old friends with the lead man, he will give you comfort and easy work....if you are are new, it doesn't matter how many + years experience you have, he will put you in the slave department.

Management was perfect before, now its a mess! I've noticed this for too long and am now saying something.

The people that work at the channelview plant don't speak much English and will do whatever to keep their jobs...god forbid you work in their area or near them, otherwise they will freak out and curse you out for thinking that you will replace them.
Pros
good experience to gain
Cons
heavy favoritism
Great work environment
Logistics Technician (Former Employee) –  Mabank, TXApril 24, 2016
Responsibilities included inbound and outbound logistics.
I learned more about international shipping.
Management was very informative.
Co-workers were detail oriented.
I found nothing in this position that was overly difficult.
I enjoyed all the training.
Pros
Team work
Cons
No cons
good co-workers, comfortable work enviroment
Technical Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 28, 2016
flexible hours, good training, no pressure from management. enjoyed all my co-workers. there wasn't a bad of the day for me.
Pros
very good people to work with. no stress, mobility
Cons
completely dependent on the oil & gas industry
Computer Systems Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 19, 2016
Great Job pick your own hours to work
Great Management
Good for contract work
Worked San Diego I/2 from home
I worked as a contractor
No job security
No advancement
No Management
Grate people to work with
Pros
Pick your hours to work
Cons
No Cons
Solar Turbines is an Excellent Company to work for.
Payroll Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 13, 2016
Solar Turbines is a great company with an awesome culture. It offers very good benefits for employees and everyone is very friendly. In general it is a company where most employees work at until the day they retire.
Good place to have worked. Good Managers
ADMINISTRATIVE CLERK (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 1, 2016
Had a great experience at Solar. Learned a great deal about being and Administrative Assistant. Given opportunities to work outside of the Department. Security and Procurement Card Program Administration
Good people, pace, and work-life balance, but not enough accountability
Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 28, 2016
Overall review for this company is that it is a typical large company that relies on what it has succeeded with in the past. Being in such a historically lucrative yet cyclical industry, the company is a very lucrative one and has succeeded and grown. The people I work with are very easy to work alongside and there is very limited if any drama that hurts morale. People are welcoming and personable. However, there could be a little more accountability needed.
Solar Turbines is a great company to work for
Engineering Assistant (Intern) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 8, 2016
At solar Turbines the work environment is excellent and i would recommend them to anyone who wants to work there. a typical work day at solar involves doing redraws and making changes to drawings and documents.
Excellent Company to work for
Field Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 6, 2016
Learned new skills, worked well with others as a team. Lots of room for growth. Enjoyed going to work everyday and have nothing negative to report on Solar Turbines/Caterpillar Inc.
Pros
Great team work, Employees and Supervisors a pleasure to work with
Cons
Customer Service & Supply Change Solutions (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 2, 2015
Very productive day. I was able to learn various databases and systems. Learned a lot about data quality and how to manage processes.
Pros
Gym and cafeteria on site
Cons
Contract employee discrimination
Great environment
Structures Package Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Kearny MesaOctober 21, 2015
Fast paced at times but very productive. Teamwork is key at this job and picking up standards is made simple to increase productivity.
Creative and challenging job.
Structural Package Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 14, 2015
The management team is well organized. The job is challenging and creative due to the vast complex and customizable options available for the products. I absolutely loved working there and if there was an option to work there on the east coast I would still be with the company.
Productive and fun workplace with a ping pong table
Material Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 23, 2015
Great people all around with a great disposition to work and help. The company is very attentive to each employees needs and necessities. All around a great work environment.
Pros
Great people, benefits, protection, workflow.
Great place to work.
Structure Package Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 9, 2015
Great pay if you get hired directly by solar turbines, but if you work for them as a contract worker the paid is not so good, lots of overtime. Great coworkers, company's safety record is probably one of the best in the country. Overall a great place to work.
Good place to work, good people, great experience
Structure Package Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 6, 2015
Loved working there. People are always willing to help or teach you.
Those that get hired have great benefits, I just had bad timing and bad economy.