Solarcity Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Cutting edge, State of the art technology, exciting.
Field Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 18, 2015
Best job I have ever had! Using state of the art technology, I sit down with families and design a solar system to help them gain control of their energy costs. I truly feel that I am helping to save the environment, cut energy costs, and bring education and awareness to people everyday. Management is very positive and supportive.
Pros
Great compensation, Outstanding manager support, Company Car, Positive environment
Driven Young Company Trying to Change the Future
Residential Engineering Team Lead (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAOctober 27, 2013
As a young company in a brand new industry, SolarCity goes through major changes every six months. It can be quite a roller coaster ride at times, but overall, it is rewarding. Many processes and positions have been recreated as a newly public company trying to cut costs and stay alive.

SolarCIty in summary:
-Young company that sees lots of changes, which provides room for growth but can also mean that certain positions are eliminated with little warning
-Less than ideal compensation as the industry is not yet lucrative, but lots of promise for the future as the company grows
-Young management, managers are promoted based on performance, not just seniority or tenure
-Great company culture and work ethic
-An exciting company to be a part of, if you can stay patient through tough times
Pros
fast growing company and industry, company is on the forefront of an energy revolution, rewarding company mission
Cons
low compensation, heavy workload
The most amazing company I've ever had the privilege of working for.
Technical Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 22, 2014
I learned more at this company in the period that I was there than I learned in the past 3 years of my IT career. This was a high stress, high demand, high reward environment which moved at a very fast pace and took a calm level headed self motivated individual to succeed. I gained experience in areas from systems and network administration and installation, VOIP phone system administration, along with a variety of application support issues ranging from level I/III in severity. Served as the escalation point for LV_HQ tech support.
Pros
free food, great people, positive environment, great compensation and benefits
Site Surveyor, position of intrigue.
Site Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 9, 2015
I was a site surveyor and worked by myself out of a company work van. I traveled from prospective solar residence to residence taking information for the engineers to design a solar system with. I also, in the process, spent a lot of time in attics and atop the roofs of houses gathering information.
I learned a lot with this job! I became more confident in my abilities of perception (that was basically the job in a nutshell...) and problem solving, I also gained a lot of confidence in dangerous situations (not necessarily a labor skill, well aside from a certain blue collar market, but useful none the less).
My direct management was good, but overall I got a "too big to keep track of everything big company vibe" from the whole of operations. Some of my contacts in engineering were also rather incompetent; but since they weren't my management persay, I still answered my findings to them and some headache with my job on account of it.
Co-workers were good! All guys just like me trying to work hard for a company that actually paid very well for hard labor. There were some very passionate individuals that I didn't relate well with considering the fact that solar energy was my day job and my real passion is in music (can't very well quit my day job yet...).
I'd have to say the hardest part of my job was bearing the elements in the winter, shrugging off the fear of being on a house, dealing with unorganized schedulers and beginner design engineers, and of course, blazing through dangerous messy and unhealthy places we all know as attics... But in some ways the attics (even at 130
  more... degrees in the summer) and the roof work were both very stimulating in their "hairiness".
The most enjoyable part was working by myself during the day and staying physical. The pay was also exceptional by my standards as a 25 year old! Compensation was very good. Overall, a very good job; and even though highly, I mean highly disorganized at some points, overall a very good company! Every place has its flaws, but I'd recommend this job for the many things they did well.
Pros
self reliance, compensation, benefits
Cons
huge corporation bs.
fun coworkers but unprofessional management
incentives associate (Former Employee) –  san mateo, CAJuly 15, 2013
A good company for you to get experience but not to build a career. Fun coworkers, but managers don't provide training and expect that you should learn everything on your own. Not allowed to ask them questions, only bring them solutions. If you are a salaried employee, they will work you to the bone.
Pros
tons of free food
Cons
management
One of the leading companies in regenerative technology
PV Systems Designer (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJuly 22, 2013
-A typical day consisted of using AutoCAD 2D & 3D software and custom software tools to design residential photovoltaic roof top systems
-What I learned: electrical engineering, production modeling, and beam theory
-Management worked on the floor amongst the rest of the employees
-Co-workers were grouped into POD's (Partners of Design) and shared one large desk to make it easier to communicate.
-The hardest part of the job was dealing with Treasury Grant requirements and restrictions
-The most enjoyable part of the job was the spontaneous nerf gun wars that would break out during the middle of the day.
It is all about profit over people (esp. employees)
Solar Site Surveyor (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJanuary 19, 2015
The bean counters rule at Solar City. I acknowledge a business needs to keep an eye on the bottom line, and this depends on the quality of your product and service, as well as the productivity, quality, loyalty of your labor force; However, restructuring (i.e., firing people in production when sales do not meet production,..) or constantly shifting people around, laying off, then hiring new people, instead of promoting from within, and/or being transparent and working with the people you have to bring everyone up to speed makes more sense to me. Solar City does not walk it's talk~ yes I am a disgruntled former employee, who gave this company 6 very long days per week for about 5 months, and then was laid off when sales projections did not meet goals.
Pros
well financed, profitable, growth mode
Cons
profit seems to outweight people
Laid back, flexible work environment with insulting pay
PV Designer (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CADecember 17, 2014
I think this is best done as a pros and cons list:

Pros:
- Get to play sports at lunch 3 days of the week and get to play in a soccer league with coworkers for free.
- Very hands-off managerial style at this company
- Extremely flexible working hours

Cons
- We're paid on commission and when there isn't enough work to do to get into the bonus you basically have to live off of nothing - especially in the Bay Area.
- Commute is terrible (again for the Bay Area)
- Nobody eats lunch together in the Engineering Department. I can go a whole day without talking to anyone.
- My job (PV Designer) offers no creative element at all. I'm not an engineer presently I'm a drafter. It's a repetitive, lifeless, how-fast-can-you go type of job.
- I strongly disagree with company policy regarding evaluation of my metrics - especially in times of low queues. They essentially ask me to compete against my peers for work. That doesn't foster a sound team environment in my opinion.
Pros
free coffee, free cereal, flexible working hours
Cons
terrible pay, compete against your peers for work, mind-numbing work