SolarCity Employee Reviews

Workplace culture
Permit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAJanuary 22, 2017
Awesome company I've learned a tremendous amount of technical/engineer knowledge which I can apply to another opportunity, The best thing about Solar City is our culture. I know I can reach out to anyone in the company nation wide and they're willing to lend a helping hand.
Pros
Free Solarcity "schwag" Flexible schedule, highly trained professionals
Cons
Not able to commute in company vehicle anymore.
Great work place and lots of traveling
Foreman (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJanuary 20, 2017
Would get to work and start working early in the morning. then we would finish around 3 pm. hang out with the guys at the hotel or go sight seeing with the family.
Not For the Faint Of Heart
Regional Sales Director (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 19, 2017
If you are willing to live it and work 70+hrs a week, then you might stand a chance.

There is zero work life balance and you have to be prepared to be a hunter.
Pros
comp
Cons
endless work
Great Mission, But puts profits before employees
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cranbury, NJJanuary 19, 2017
Solarcity is a great company with a great mission. And with the likes of Elon Musk at the helm, its sure to be successful eventually. But where it fails miserably is in its management. the management are first very underpaid, are forced to work nearly 24 hours a day to prove their dedication to helping save the world as they brainwash you into thinking and very rarely ever follow through on their promises. They simply are there to bark down orders from upper management and provide very little support in the process. Before I left they actually took away all the sales reps salaries and benefits in order to cut costs...What?!?! That should tell you everything you need to know about how they operate. Good luck and do not believe in the koolaid.
Pros
Concierge team is immaculate in helping you get your jobs pulled through and installed.
Cons
Bad leadership, no culture and false promises.
Very great place to work
Solar Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, MAJanuary 18, 2017
SolarCity is a great place to work. They provide great benefits and compensation plans. The work life balance is really great.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Peoples view on solar
Constantly changing expectations creating a culture of fear. Huge turnover.
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 18, 2017
Solar City has a revolving door of leadership which means standards are constantly changing and employees are motivated only by a culture of fear that they will have their jobs next month.
Pros
Hours and schedule flexibility
Cons
unreasonable and changing expectations, culture of fear, huge turnover in leadership constantly
Helping people save money while helping the planet.
Senior Field Energy Consultant / Team Mentor (Former Employee) –  East Bay, CAJanuary 17, 2017
I loved having the freedom and autonomy to manage my own pipeline and run my own business for the most part. My favorite part of the job is helping people save money on the electric bills while at the same time changing the way people consume energy in this country.
Productive and fun place
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CAJanuary 13, 2017
I loved this job! The culture is amazing and they truly care about their employees.

This is a great place to work!

The managers and directors truly care about their employees and make sure to train you to become an expert here.
Enviornment of achivements
Retail Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAJanuary 13, 2017
During my employment with solar city I grew as a individual as well as a improvised sales person. Solar city is very professional and punctual. I have grown a lot since employed with Solar City.
Pros
Company Growth
Best place I've ever worked
Solar Installer (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVJanuary 12, 2017
The title says it all! The hard work and long dreadful days were all worth it! looking back on all of it I wouldn't take anything back and I'm glad I can say I was apart of it!
Great industry to be in`
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 12, 2017
Our company has the right set of goals and idea's but the employees could be cared for better. The motivation to keep making progress is not there unless a employee has the self motivation to do so. The pay they say is competitive but many have not received raises in years.
Good company
New Construction Crew Lead/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Martinez, CAJanuary 12, 2017
Long hours on a daily basis
Electrical, roof and PV knowledge was obtained
Management is iffy depending on the office and region you work for.
Zep systems ease of install is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Superior Company
Solar Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJanuary 11, 2017
They have the best product on the market and many positive support staff members. Great work culture and great management team.
SolarCity
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 9, 2017
Great people great atmosphere. Just meet your quota. It was the first job that I felt like I was where I belong. I always felt welcomed no matter what time of the day it was.
Pros
Great help on the floor
Cons
Stress in meeting quota
crazy hours1
Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 6, 2017
This is a horrible company to work for. I recommend going else where! They changed the pay structure and expected to work harder!
Churn and Burn sales program
Sales Consultant/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 5, 2017
SolarCity expanded too quickly, they pushed for offices in every state/city they could get into as quickly as possible. As such the culture was very exciting initially, but turned sour as time went on. Because sales teams are remote and design/customer service is centralized in Vegas/San Mateo there can be a real disconnect between what is offered and what is followed through. There was a greater emphasis on selling the initial survey to get a job progressing than there was on company followup to push the job through to completion. You were not paid until installation, so initial contracts did nothing but create a pipe dream where you would have to maintain a job for 3-4 months through multiple other removed departments handling the account (that had no investment in the ultimate sale) to make any commission. I watched most of my team burn out and die off, by 6 months in I was one of the senior team members. I loved the idea of renewable energy, I just think it was badly implemented.
Pros
Company Car
Cons
Long inconsistent hours
Solar City
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAJanuary 5, 2017
Good Company to get your feet wet in sales. Use to be a really fun company but upper management got wiped out. Solar City sells itself dont have to be much of a salesperson
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Nothing really
Amazing CEO and Executive Leadership - Low Level Managers are Lost
Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 5, 2017
This was my dream job for the first few years.
The problem is the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing or that there is another hand at all.

My job was sales which for me is pretty easy.

However 5 out of 10 jobs don't go very well and a few are disasters. Hard to build a loyal following with those kind of numbers.

Easy to get discouraged when your wonderful customer will end up in a situation that they regret doing business with you.

Impossible to set client expectations correctly because the endless issues they may encounter.
Way too many hands touch each job and way too many things go wrong.
Pros
Exciting time to be in the industry
Cons
You report to people who have no clue what they are doing
Support Solar
never worked (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 4, 2017
I want to know if anyone who had worked with Solarcity knows if the team arrives in separate vehicles to the job site or drop off their cars somewhere and meet all together at one jobsite?
Very good work company.
Solar Panel Installer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV/Los Angeles areaJanuary 4, 2017
worked for Solar City for almost 2yrs. love this company. it gives you not only the opportunity to advance financially speaking but its benefits are the best. their moral /conduct way inspires you to be better day by day.
Pros
Able to go home early and spend time with familiy.
Cons
not able to work on raining days.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SolarCity. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9