SolarWinds Employee Reviews

Young and Enthusiastic Tech Company
TRAVEL AND CORPORATE SERVICES COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 13, 2016
Great work environment. Lots of benefits and perks, including excellent healthcare, catered lunches twice weekly, and fully stocked kitchens. Lots of genuine, honest, hard-working people in all departments especially Tech Support, IT, and Maintenance Renewals.
Pros
Healthcare, Catered Lunches, Snacks/Coffee
Cons
Management in Facilities Department
No leadership, no opportunity for growth, unethical sales tactics
Maintenance and Renewals Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTOctober 18, 2016
Terrible management and leadership. They will fire you the moment you miss a goal. They don't coach and train, they also use shady tactics with their customers. Using misleading phrases and leading customers believe that prices will go up, bad things will happen etc.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Terrible leadership, just terrible! Working late on month and quarter end.
Enjoyed my stay
Chief Software Architect, Vice President (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 18, 2016
Management not product focused, simply bottom line focused.
Good pay and benefits and smart people. All in all, a positive experience.
Ch-ch-changes
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 29, 2016
SolarWinds is ever changing. Every year there is a new strategy and the entire company tries to align itself. With so many shifts, it can be hard to follow through. Often, new strategies are rolled out company wide without any explanation around why we're moving away from the previous strategy. These radical shifts in strategy keep things interesting, although most employees doubt that management actually knows what they are doing.

SolarWinds recently went private and it will be interesting to see where the company goes from here. Most of the company is hoping for big changes. Status quo is not great.

Note that, like many bigger companies, the SolarWinds culture varies a lot by department. I can only speak for the product/engineering group.

The best part about working with SolarWinds is working on products that help IT professionals do their job. The customers are generally friendly and like SolarWinds products. Unlike so many enterprise software companies, SolarWinds ships products that customers actually use. That makes me feel like the work that I do has real purpose.
Pros
Useful software (not shelfware), often promote from within
Cons
Management no longer cares about shipping software that actually helps customers
great products
Strategic Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Lehi, UTMarch 8, 2016
great co workers, competitive but fun environment. Products are easy to sell. Supportive management team. On going training and support
Pros
free lunches, protected territories
Cons
office location
Avoid SolarWinds at all costs!
Middle Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 10, 2013
Seriously, folks...don't fool yourself by discounting the employer reviews on the web like I did. I was pursued by SolarWinds, turned them down, but was ultimately lured away from a great company when they made me a financial offer I couldn't refuse. In hindsight, I should've followed my gut.

SolarWinds never fulfilled several of the promises they made before I accepted. I watched multiple peers in middle-management positions come and go within weeks or months of joining. There is no strategy and no innovation. They make their money by skimping R&D and pretty shrewd financial management.

Don't fall into the trap! You'll be treated like a commodity and your career will not grow at SolarWinds.
Pros
free lunches twice a week
Cons
poor management, no culture, disdain for strategy - everything is tactical
Technical Support is great
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTJanuary 11, 2016
I worked in TS in Lehi, and my manager there was probably the best manager I have ever had. He had a talent for finding people who could do the work, and were also fun to be around. We seriously did not have a single person who I wouldn't hang out with.

I know what you are thinking, that means I was "that guy". Perhaps, but if that is the case, then they are missing their village idiot. Go fill that void.

Like every tech support job I've heard of, they track metrics. Sometimes those numbers do not represent hard work (or a lack of hard work). But overall the metrics were not that bad. When they were at their worst, it was because upper management was emphasizing numbers, and that rolls downhill. However, that seemed to have been a thing of the past when I left (Dec 2015).
Pros
Free lunches Tuesday and Friday, well stocked snacks and pop.
Cons
There is some emphasis on metrics, and those metrics do not always fairly represent reality.
Sell sell sell
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTMay 12, 2016
Great people to work with. Micro management. They bring in lunch 2 times a week. Sell more sell more sell more!

I have no more to say about this company.
Pros
Lunch twice a week
Cons
Micro manage
Solarwind (Formally Logicnow)
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 5, 2016
We were recently purchase by Solarwinds, so it a bit hard to comment. Merging the two companies are still in the initial stages.
Pros
Free lunch twice a week, Game Room, and Snack and Drinks provided
Be forewarned
Middle Management (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 30, 2015
With SolarWinds - it is a love/hate relationship. The company has such promise, but is missing fundamental core values. Lacking those core values causes poor decision causing people to sacrifice integrity and trust.
It's really unfortunate that there is such a yes culture at the top. It does the company no good because people make fear based decisions and focus decisions on what looks right rather than what is best for the business.

There is no work-life balance. The more you give, the
more they take and with very little thanks. It is a good place to cut your teeth and get some real hands-on experience. It should not be viewed as a place where you will grow, so know that going in and have an exit strategy in place.

There are no career paths and very limited opportunities for advancement. Those rare opportunities are not awarded to those most fit for the job, they are awarded on whether or not you are friends with the right people. If you are looking for advancement, ask and ask and ask some more on what the path is. They will tell you there is a path, so ask that they define it.

Advice - get in, get out and move on. Or just don't get in if you have a strong moral code. Ask your recruiter what the attrition rate (for NON sales employees) is and compare it to other companies.
Pros
free lunch 2x a week, some fun people
Cons
Culture - the few fun people aren't worth it, horrible work-life balance, complete lack of appreciation for hard-work
Good benefits and culture
Inside sales (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 7, 2014
Good people, catered lunches twice a week,good compensation/benefits. high pressure sales, very much a buy today mentality. great product that almost sells itself. 9 times out of 10, I was simply facilitating the transaction and pushing timeframes more then selling. Didn't always put the customer first. Kind of got the used car salesman vibe.(many customers would reiterate the same feeling) Overall, not a bad place to work but would be tough to make a career out of it.
Pros
Free lunches and company outings, lots of contests and spiffs
Cons
High pressure
Solarwinds
Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTAugust 27, 2015
Is an amazing company to work for with Great Benefits, Culture and Te-am atmosphere. Great product line and is always innovating to stay ahead of the market and offer products that are extremely efficient and user friendly.
Pros
Free lunches twice a week
Cons
Location in Utah is in Lehi - Hour outside of major city
Great Place to work
Corporate Services Administrator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 1, 2016
Lot of snacks and free food. Cool building to work in. Nice view of downtown. Best company I've ever worked for in Austin.
Fun environment, opportunity to make alot of money if you are fed
Dedicated Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COFebruary 15, 2015
This COULD be a great company to work for. They feed some employees and leave the others to fend for themselves. Those that are fed make BIG money and are constantly closing business The rest of us are held to the same standard and expected to close as much as those that are fed, and its just not possible.
Pros
Free lunches n Weds. Fun Culture. Money to be made.
Cons
Ridiculous quota. Unrealistic expectations.
Great place to learn and grow, put on your running shoes!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 7, 2012
Fast growing, fast paced, all the time. If you like to be challenged and working with really smart people, you'll like it here. Key to success: listen more than you talk in the first 30 days (unless you are in sales - then, just close deals!).

The amount of international collaboration makes the company unique. Solid management team. Like with any fast growing company, working out the kinks along the way.
Pros
smart people, truly global team, fast paced
Cons
expect your first few months to be intense
Need to be an absolute hustler
Inside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 21, 2015
This is a good job for people who have a background in software. Can be frustrating for anyone who is new to sales.
Great team environment and management is there to help you out.
They do a great job at making you feel like your working for a small company while being public.
Enjoyable environment with good team
Global Order Management Processor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 23, 2015
I enjoy working at SolarWinds, they really do take care of their employees with lunches every week and team outings. Any event involving the SolarWinds company is always something to look forward to. I work up in Finance currently, which is a quiet work environment but they still appreciate laughter and good conversation. Sometimes we work later than expected but the managers do what they can to help us get out on time.
Top Employer in Austin
Corporate Recruiter (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 13, 2014
SolarWinds is an innovative, fast paced and dynamic company in Austin. Their products are top-notch and cutting edge.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
terrible work/life balance
Fast Paced and HIgh Energy
Account Executive Western US and Canada (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 22, 2014
Very aggressive paced and rewarding environment. The software is excellent so the sales model is one that assumes that they are going to buy, you are there to determine when. From day one of the quarter, you are pressing short timelines and aggressive discounts in exchange for immediate turn around. Very fun place to work but not for passive people that are looking for a more relax work day. This is Hungry Hungry Hippo for adults
Pros
Free Lunches and high pay
Cons
Always pressing-not neccessarily a Con, but if there were one, that would be it
Very aggressive
Federal Account Executive- Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 6, 2012
Very cut throat environment. Management only cares about what you close and nothing else. It's all about what have you closed.
Pros
pay
Cons
cut throat

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SolarWinds. Our community is ready to answer.

Indeed Prime: Apply to 100 top tech companies with 1 application

100% free. Land your dream job and get $2k. Interested employers will reach out with salary and equity upfront.

Learn more about Indeed Prime