SolarWorld Employee Reviews

There are better jobs out there
Production Technician - Etch (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJanuary 10, 2018
The employees had not had a raise for 3 years when I started, they were tired, stressed, undervalued and underappreciated. Management had a monthly meeting in which they would say what was going well and what wasn't, this meeting also always included an update on whether raises would be reinstated. It was always a hot topic. Profits of the company were not where they needed to be, It was, in my opinion, not because the CEO was not trying, but due to free trade rules and import/export reasons which caused this business to go bankrupt.
nice place to work
production tech 3 (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORSeptember 13, 2017
good place to work, nice environment, loved the job and running the stringers, good management, good supervisors, would reccomend it, great bunch of people.
Pros
good job
Cons
layoff
management constantly under construction
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAAugust 30, 2017
Solarworld lacks good leadership and the owner of the company is bankrupting it. there is no security at this company. There are many good people that work here but they never know how long thier job will last.
benefits
Cons
job security
A fun place to work with a lot of employee perks
HVAC Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJuly 18, 2017
I really enjoyed what I did as well as the freedom I was given to do it. They let me set priorities. Which allowed me to do a far better job then had I been micro managed.
Pros
Great home to work life balance. great benefits.
Cons
Do to the type of industry, and US regulation. It is hard for SolarWord to stay competitive, This means job security is low.
Felt like a slave
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORMay 23, 2017
I felt like a slave most days. They expected a lot but didn't want to return the favor. You could be certified on every tool set but still make just enough to be broke even though your doing the job as efficiently as 2 people.

No advancement plan.
Benefits
Cons
Slave driver managment
Excellent starter job for manufacturing. Terrible supervisors
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORAugust 20, 2016
This is a great starting manufacturing job. I worked nights in module assembling the solar panels. The work is great but the supervisors were a problem. There is slim pretty much no chance for advancement. The pay is lousy. Most of my co-workers were fun. They do have the occasional reward of pizza or bbqs from management.
Pros
Benefits & schooling
Cons
Poor Supervisors, lousy pay, no advancement
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORApril 15, 2016
I loved my job but disappointed in management. Job itself is great, management could show a little more appreciation for its hard working employees.
Pros
Benifits, Ot, Pto
Cons
High turnover rate.
One of -those- corporations
Module Assembly Operator (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJuly 20, 2015
If you are not upper mgmt, expect to pull 13 hour night shifts lined perfectly up with both rush hours for at least a few years before you catch any break. Then, don't expect a big break. About half the supervisors are a pleasure to work with, treat you like a human, listen, and do everything within their power to help you. The other half are at least respectful and attentive to your basic needs. My peers were very cohesive and made the job tolerable while I was there. I was not at all happy about the DECREASED pay rate after being hired on permanent. The supervisor assures you that you are being paid the same rate, but dodges the fact that you lose your $1 per hour shift differential after signing on. That was a big kick in the pants, and that sort of dodgy business conduct is why big corporations are earning a nasty reputation, in my honest opinion.
Pros
Employee appreciation food offered very frequently
Cons
Insulting pay, low promotion potential, zero flexibility.
Stay away.
Material Handler III (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, OrApril 17, 2014
Stay away from anything having to do with Logistics/Transportation and the Department Head. The people in the department are nice. The management is terrible though. The Head of Department is a real piece of work. It's sad really.

I am a Material Handler III, I should be a level IV but was robbed of that, after it was promised to us if we all completed certain cross training requirements. As usual, the employee's pull their weight, and, the "Management" fails. Again.
Pros
Vacation.
Cons
Everything but vacaction.
Great benefits and work life balance
Sales Group (Current Employee) –  Camarillo, CADecember 11, 2013
I enjoy working for this company however the industry is unstable therefore job security is low.

Want to know more about SolarWorld?

Ask a question
Accomplishments, and everyday brought something new.
Forklift Operator warehouse associate (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORFebruary 5, 2013
Getting a pass down from previous shift, great communication between others was needed. Check computer system constantly (every 10-15 min) for parts needed to be pulled, delivered, and transact out of inventory for broken machines and preventative maint. Offload and confirm counts of received items, then receive the product into inventory using the computer. Pulling, staging, and transacting product for the next days shipments.

Learned to operate a reach truck, accurately and efficiently while keeping safety in mind at all times. Great inventory management skills.

All employees and management were always assisting others to make a great team effort to complete every job that was being accomplished. Management listened to safety and operational concerns brought up in weekly and monthly meetings.

Hardest part about the job was to always double check items and inventory, while having to rush, to deliver parts and pulling orders.

The most enjoyable parts, i would have to say is that it was always a learning process, "never a dull moment". the satisfaction of knowing everyday after clocking off, that the job was done correct and efficiently.
Pros
vacation time, 3 days off, 12 hour shifts
Cons
unstable working environment.
Co-worker rapport established immediately. Management open to new ideas. Casual atmoshpere.
Business Process Analyst, Power Projects (Former Employee) –  Camarillo, CAJanuary 9, 2013
Administrative support to 5 department heads and their teams. Enjoyed interacting with production, purchasing, quality, shipping/receiving and facilities. Management supportive when implementing new processes/programs.
Pros
everyone was friendly and helpful.
Factory floor right across the office
Software Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORSeptember 13, 2012
You can really get a sense of how the product lines are doing right across the office! Sometimes you can develop a tracking system, and go into the factory floor to verify the accuracy.
Pros
nice people
Cons
database behind is so mess-up
Overall ok place to work, but not challenging.
Operator Tech (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJuly 7, 2012
OK place to work. Pay is on the low end. Shutdowns for 1 week or more in December appears to be the norm (you have to use vacation or go on unemployment).
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
low pay/not challenging
The job is good and the people are nice.
Operations technician (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJune 21, 2012
I have worked at Solarworld for a little over a year and overall I liked my job. The people are nice and the work isn't too demanding.
A typical day at work would include checking on how much time is left until a wire saw is finished cutting through an ingot. Once it is finished I have to unload it clean it and send t to the next area.
Pros
the pay is good and the people are nice. the job duties aren't too demanding.
Cons
the temp agency have all workers an ultimatum to move areas or be fired.