SolutionsIQ Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
we practice what we preach
Agile Experience Design Coach (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAOctober 3, 2013
Working for SIQ was a significant departure from my previous career but I learned a lot in a short period of time about many things that I wouldn't have had access to otherwise. I was steeped constantly in a disciplined and genuine form of Agile that has been distinctly absent in my previous workplaces. One year of Agile at SIQ is easily worth several years anywhere else.

I can't say I had a typical day at this job since I was doing different things depending on whether my focus was on a team, several teams, internal coaching tasks, internal SIQ tasks, or uncorking client access bottlenecks. Some weeks I was glued to a team, others I was in a constant flow of phone conferences, and sometimes I was pinball facilitating conversation or materials between small crowds of individuals. About the only typical aspect was aligning to the principle of face to face conversation—we would meet in person for our ceremonies as much as possible.

Also the kind of work I was able to engage in was dependent on who their clients are at the time. For instance I would have enjoyed continuing to do Agile UX in addition to the Coaching I provided but there weren't clients approaching SIQ for that while I was there.

The management structure is decidedly flat and this creates a lot of empowerment for SIQ employees, further creating an environment fostering job satisfaction and open collaboration. They work hard at maintaining this and I think it pays off. My co-workers were a pleasure to work with... and I'd like to add, excellent at performing improv skits! They're dedicated and continually seeking
  more... professional self improvement, as Agile methodologies suggest. I'd be happy to work with any of them again.

The most difficult and enjoyable parts of the job are closely related for me. It was always challenging to maintain morale when we'd be facing a client setback, some event happening with the client that caused a lot of ground to be lost for their adoption of Agile. Often it would be a key person leaving or being re-assigned. Sometimes it could be a team deciding to regress under external pressure. But at the same time, when bright spots happened (and they did happen), it was a joy for everyone on the engagement to hear about. Whether it was a team making excellent decisions, a group making a breakthrough after a retrospective, an executive recognizing their success, or even an individual realizing their job just became better when they "got" a critical concept—it made all the challenges worthwhile.

Working this kind of coaching role could be akin to parenthood. At our best we want those we're coaching to find success and fulfillment through the methodologies we recommend; and we want to empower them to continue in our absence. We feel the pain of their setbacks and joy in their mastery. We want only the best for our clients' employees, to pass on the best of how SIQ operates into the teams we meet.
Pros
free training opportunities, self-awareness of working environment, flat management
Cons
scheduling conflicts between engagement and training opportunities
Definition of a true Agile Environment. SIQ is about its people.
Agile Consultant & Embedded Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 19, 2013
• Facilitate team accelerator workshops with topics including: introduction to agile, backlog development, user story refinement, story mapping, sprint planning, sprint retrospectives, team development activities.
• Coach Release Planning principles to client Scrum Masters. Train/pair with client teams to facilitate Release Planning (single & multi-team.)
• Train Product Backlog development to clients (develop/refine vision, user roles, and mapping to user story epics and themes.)
• Mentor Scrum Master(s) to further team cohesiveness with immediate guidance while attending various ceremonies.
• Support the product development process by coaching/mentoring/facilitating agile teams on Scrum process and ceremonies (daily stand-up, demonstration/reviews, sprint and release planning, user story grooming, and retrospectives.)
• Mentor Product Owner(s) and coach stakeholders to craft/refine epics, user stories and backlog prioritization.
• Coach development team to employ best practices and improve team standards (quality/communication.)
• Track and communicate agile team statistics (velocity) and team planning/demonstration summaries via email and information radiators (burn up/burn down charts, sprint tracking board.)
• Protect team, identify and remove impediments/obstacles.
• Facilitate team discussions (daily stand-up / retrospectives) to resolve conflict and improve team cohesiveness.
• Coach teams to self-organize, learn accountability, and own their committed work.
Pros
comrardarie, sharing of knowledge, constantly growing skillset of consultants
Cons
lots of travel

4.3