The Associate Research Scientist is responsible for independently contributing towards the development and characterization of new polymers and materials, including the design, planning, execution, and analysis of experiments with the cooperation and general direction of a more senior Research Scientist/Engineer.
- Independently execute complex research projects, laboratory experiments and testing of various polymer formulations in alignment with customer needs and R&D strategy.
- Demonstrate intimate knowledge of the set-up, operation and maintenance of relevant equipment, instrumentation and experimental techniques, incl. extruders and auxiliary equipment.
- Conduct preventative maintenance on laboratory and fabrication equipment, including specifying and getting quotes on parts, installations and repairs from outside resources.
- Analyze experimental data, develop conclusions, present results, and assist in making proposals for further research activities on basis of these results.
- Ensure that the new product/methods/techniques are well tested and documented.
- Successfully develop/manage strong technical relationships and communicate effectively with internal departments and external customers to provide technical support/consultation, answer questions and resolve issues/complaints.
- Inform appropriate parties about recurrent issues and statuses, coordinate with all necessary resources to analyze and resolve said issues in a timely manner, and propose recommendations to address identified technical needs.
- Prepare and share reports and communications about research projects (including timing, cost, and results) in order to help confirm or review the strategy.
- Stay abreast of technical/scientific developments and market evolutions within own domain of expertise by participating actively in the scientific community (e.g., reading magazines/journals, attending courses/seminars/trainings, networking with experts inside and outside the company, attending conferences, joining professional associations, etc.).
- Maintain a safe work environment for self and others
- B.S. degree in Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, or related technical field (M.S. preferred)
- 3+ yrs relevant experience in polymer compounding, processing, and/or product development
- Strong experimental/bench and measurement/characterization skills
- Excellent hands-on mechanical skills required; Knowledge of operation and maintenance of extrusion equipment preferred
- Solid grasp of material science/engineering fundamentals
- High attention to detail and ability to work meticulously to observe and adjust processes and experiments as they progress
- Demonstrated problem solving ability and capability to identify improvements to current processes
- Ability to travel (mostly domestically) up to 10% of the time
Qualified candidates may view openings & apply at career.solvay.com (Ref Code: SLV-WW-00090) To be considered candidates must apply through career.solvay.com.
Indeed - 20 months ago
Join us, the people who ask more from chemistry. More than designing solutions for our customers, we are inventing a new model of...